Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #51
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Dammit!

Please don't post spoilers in this thread without warning. They will probably show that event during primetime, and its kinda ruined now

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #52
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Dammit!

Please don't post spoilers in this thread without warning. They will probably show that event during primetime, and its kinda ruined now

Ditto. I'd rather not have to stop reading this thread.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:55 AM   #53
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I deleted it. Sorry, fellas. Didn't even think about possible spoilers and such. Won't happen again.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #54
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Dont take my words the wrong way HB, Im sure you didnt mean it purposely. But feel free to create a thread with spoilers in it, if you'd like. I would just rather not know, since all of the good stuff will be time delayed

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #55
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Dont take my words the wrong way HB, Im sure you didnt mean it purposely. But feel free to create a thread with spoilers in it, if you'd like. I would just rather not know, since all of the good stuff will be time delayed

Don't worry about it. I realized that I watched the event live on CBC and didn't even think about the time delay because I had just watched it. I am flipping around and often forget which event is on which channel.

I'll keep mum on all results in this thread. I'll keep 'em to threads dedicated to events, like the US/Swiss women's hockey thread.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #56
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I deleted it. Sorry, fellas. Didn't even think about possible spoilers and such. Won't happen again.

Thanks for deleting it. We all make mistakes
Old 02-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #57
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I heard on CBC a little while ago that Canada's women's hockey team may beat the Italian team by 20-30 goals
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #58
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
I heard on CBC a little while ago that Canada's women's hockey team may beat the Italian team by 20-30 goals

While I understand that goal differential matters, beating a team by 20-30 goals doesn't really seem to be in line with the Olympic spirit...
Old 02-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #59
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
While I understand that goal differential matters, beating a team by 20-30 goals doesn't really seem to be in line with the Olympic spirit...

Unfortunatly, the home team for the gold medal game will be decided by goal differential. While noone wants to see a game like that, Canada can't afford to let up, because home ice in the final games will bring some important advantages

Right now, it's 5-0 Canada, so i dont think it will be 20 goals bad
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #60
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

How do they determine home ice on a neutral site like the Olympics?
Old 02-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #61
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I watched the first period and Canada could have put their 3rd team out there and scored over 15 goals. The only way for them to stop scoring would be to go to the trap... and never go into the Italy offensive zone. Even then they'd score a couple .
Old 02-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #62
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

They just noted that the combined age of the Italian defensive pairing on the power play was 30. They are each 15 years old. Wow.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #63
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wow. What a jump. It's alternatively scary and exhilerating to watch the ski jump... and these aren't the true ski jumpers (the nordic combined)
Old 02-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #64
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Wow. What a jump. It's alternatively scary and exhilerating to watch the ski jump... and these aren't the true ski jumpers (the nordic combined)
i really liked the camera that goes down the chute with them and keeps going down along side the jumpers...that really gave a great sense of how far they are jumping.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #65
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
They just noted that the combined age of the Italian defensive pairing on the power play was 30. They are each 15 years old. Wow.
are you sure? just because i thought you have to be at least 16 to compete in the olympics
Old 02-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #66
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Eater

Oh...I heard Yoko was lighting the flame befor the coverage started. WTF is right! I'm glad I went to bed.

i cant decide which was more utterly ridiculous...yoko ono who has never done anything except marry john lennon and obviously write really bad poetry, or the part when the olympic flag came in, carried by sophia loren (possibly the most famous italian woman alive right now), a nobel peace prize winner, a human rights activist from africa, an award winning author, several other not famous but noteworthy, accomplished women, and SUSAN SARANDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF DOES SUSAN SARANDON HAVE TO DO WITH THE OLYMPICS. FINE SHE IS AN ANTI-WAR/ANTI-BUSH ACTIVIST, BUT THERE FREAKING WAY SHE SHOULD BE WITHIN 8000 MILES OF THE OLYMPICS WITHOUT A TICKET, imo.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #67
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
are you sure? just because i thought you have to be at least 16 to compete in the olympics

Well, it's what the folks on CBC said. Checking the website there is a player on Italy named Valentina Bettarini who was born in June 1990, which would make her 15 still. Not sure if that's one of the two players they were talking about, but I assume so.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #68
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I played open hockey with some Italian girl (maybe 15-16 years old at the time), about two years ago... I wonder if she made her way onto the team (she was quite good -- was holding her own with a girl who was regularly in Team USA camps, etc.).
Old 02-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #69
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

it's weird to watch folks ski as hard as they can for 90% of the course, and then at the end, deliberately slow down so they don't go near the end tommorrow.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #70
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
i cant decide which was more utterly ridiculous...yoko ono who has never done anything except marry john lennon and obviously write really bad poetry, or the part when the olympic flag came in, carried by sophia loren (possibly the most famous italian woman alive right now), a nobel peace prize winner, a human rights activist from africa, an award winning author, several other not famous but noteworthy, accomplished women, and SUSAN SARANDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF DOES SUSAN SARANDON HAVE TO DO WITH THE OLYMPICS. FINE SHE IS AN ANTI-WAR/ANTI-BUSH ACTIVIST, BUT THERE FREAKING WAY SHE SHOULD BE WITHIN 8000 MILES OF THE OLYMPICS WITHOUT A TICKET, imo.
Why not? Susan Sarandon is an Oscar winner. That's not bad. She is also of Italian and Welsh heritage. She's also a big time supporter/fan of hockey. That's A-Ok in my book. It's nice to have an actor/actress with some gavitas behind him/her support hockey instead of the usual fair: Alex Tribec, Alan Thicke, Dave Clouier, etc, etc. (Apparently she was also involved in an effort to get Dr. Laura's show off television. Now that is a noble goal worthy of the highest praise.)

If I had to choose an US actress to be at the Opening Ceramonies in Italy, I think an Oscar winner with Italian heritage who's a hockey fan is a pretty solid choice.

Go Susan. It was an inspired choice.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 02-11-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #71
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Why not? Susan Sarandon is an Oscar winner. That's not bad. She is also of Italian and Welsh heritage. She's also a big time supporter/fan of hockey. That's A-Ok in my book. It's nice to have an actor/actress with some gavitas behind him/her support hockey instead of the usual fair: Alex Tribec, Alan Thicke, Dave Clouier, etc, etc. (Apparently she was also involved in an effort to get Dr. Laura's show off television. Now that is a noble goal worthy of the highest praise.)

If I had to choose an US actress to be at the Opening Ceramonies in Italy, I think an Oscar winner with Italian heritage who's a hockey fan is a pretty solid choice.

Go Susan. It was an inspired choice.

but why an actress....compared with the other people carrying the flag, it basically sent the message that we as americans value academy award winners more than anyone else in our society. I cant believe that there isnt someone of Italian heritage that has done a hell of a lot more for the world than make a bunch of movies that we could have sent.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #72
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

wow. Talk about a dream crushed at the beginning
Old 02-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #73
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

wow, what a dream crusher right at the beginning. nice fight back, if he had another ten seconds, he just might have done it
Old 02-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #74
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
it's weird to watch folks ski as hard as they can for 90% of the course, and then at the end, deliberately slow down so they don't go near the end tommorrow.

skiing at the end of a draw is sometime very hard, as the lines of all the other skiers have been cut in, and since it gets warmer as the day goes by the best line down the hill may change, so skiing outside the earlier cuts could be necessary and very difficult.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #75
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

btw, sorry to double post, but I'm getting errors (server reset) every now and then..

maybe they need to set up a system where the fastest run gets to choose where he goes in the draw instead.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #76
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
wow, what a dream crusher right at the beginning. nice fight back, if he had another ten seconds, he just might have done it
what were you refering to, i was watching the disaster that is the italian women hockey team for a few minutes.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #77
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
but why an actress....compared with the other people carrying the flag, it basically sent the message that we as americans value academy award winners more than anyone else in our society. I cant believe that there isnt someone of Italian heritage that has done a hell of a lot more for the world than make a bunch of movies that we could have sent.

Culture is our biggest export! Maybe they asked Dinero or Pacino and they backed out or something... I have no idea who was asked or how it was chosen. The more highlights I see of Opening Ceramonies the more I regret missing it. It looked very sureal...
Old 02-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #78
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
btw, sorry to double post, but I'm getting errors (server reset) every now and then..

maybe they need to set up a system where the fastest run gets to choose where he goes in the draw instead.

I'm also getting errors on the board today.

That Bode Miller piece with Robert Redford just about made me turn off the coverage.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #79
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I'm also getting errors on the board today.

That Bode Miller piece with Robert Redford just about made me turn off the coverage.

i did...i went back to the ridiculous hockey game again...16 goals on 65 shots for canada
Old 02-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #80
General Mike
Pro Starter

Canada-Italy is at 16-0, right now. 1:20 left in the 3rd
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #81
saldana
Pro Starter

i feel really bad for the Italian girls. they didnt deserve that, but i cant decide what would have been worse, the canadians bringing it the whole game, or having them skate around between the circles in their own end for 2 periods.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #82
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This was Italy's first women's hockey team. They got an auto bid because they are the home squad. Ouch!
Old 02-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #83
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That was very cool
Old 02-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #84
Celeval
Pro Starter

Should we assume prime-time spoilers are okay?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #85
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
Should we assume prime-time spoilers are okay?

Good question. I wasn't sure if the West Coast might be getting it on even further tape delay than the East Coast and Central Time zones, which is why I stopped myself from posting specifics in my above post.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #86
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Good question. I wasn't sure if the West Coast might be getting it on even further tape delay than the East Coast and Central Time zones, which is why I stopped myself from posting specifics in my above post.

I like this strategy. The thread will be filled with a bunch of random posts like:

Oh my god!

Unbelievable!

Did that just really happen?!?!

Good stuff!
Old 02-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #87
digamma
Torchbearer

We get everything on double tape delay out here.

Between all of the different time zones we have on the board and espn.com, yahoo and every news organization publishing and broadcasting results, I think it's pretty unrealistic to think this thread (and my olympic viewing) can be spoiler free.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #88
saldana
Pro Starter

for anyone else watching in HD, is your picture and sound cutting in and out? Craptacular said he had some problems earlier on Universal HD with the audio, but this entire primetime show is giving me all kinds of problems with both audio and visual.

also, anyone else noticing that the audio is out of sync with the video?

Last edited by saldana : 02-11-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #89
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing watching the downhill training runs. Any system that encourages people to not do their best needs fixing. As it is these guys are just guessing anyway about how much time to hold up on. You're almost getting a random seeding.

If you want fast times, reward them by letting them choose their position, rather than setting it by times. Especially in a sport where not everyone gets the same playing conditions.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:53 PM   #90
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm watching on a bit of a TIVO delay, but the German pairs figure skater is VERY hot.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:11 PM   #91
Rizon
Pro Starter

Beating Italians badly should be ok anytime, anyplace, and under any circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:17 PM   #92
Rizon
Pro Starter

I don't understand the scoring for pairs figure skating. I always thought if you fall you were pretty much toast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:24 PM   #93
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm watching on a bit of a TIVO delay, but the German pairs figure skater is VERY hot.
i thought this too. well actually i just thought the girl was hot. i was rooting for them just because of her hotness! liked their routine too, just a shame she couldn't land that throw.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:30 PM   #94
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
i thought this too. well actually i just thought the girl was hot. i was rooting for them just because of her hotness! liked their routine too, just a shame she couldn't land that throw.

Heh. I thought it would be assumed I was talking about the girl

Yeah, I was rooting for them a bit too. Her partner just threw her with a bit too much force.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:53 AM   #95
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

catching some of the early stuff on the replay.

wow...that throw-triple-axle is BADASS.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:25 AM   #96
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This may be the only time I've heard a figure skating move described as "badass"
Old 02-12-2006, 01:36 AM   #97
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

did you watch it though? it totally was.

and is there anything better than GISing a random female athlete from another country and finding hot pictures?

kari traa

mmmm beautiful (and i'm not even talking the semi-naughty pictures, she just looks like a real pretty lady)
Old 02-12-2006, 02:10 AM   #98
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I saw it... it's still figure skating.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:21 AM   #99
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Yeah, I saw it... it's still figure skating.
hater
Old 02-12-2006, 02:25 AM   #100
dervack
College Prospect

You know, hearing that Kwan is withdrawing from the Olympics makes me irritated that she took a spot for someone else who had qualified for the team at the US championships.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote