Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #51
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Powerful earthquake strikes off the coast of Chile - CNN.com

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #52
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yeah my wife's family says they are evacuating valapraiso due to tsunami warnings there. Most of her family lives way high in the hills there so only a handful affected.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #53
JediKooter
Coordinator

Earthquakes have not been too kind to Chile these last few years. Coincidentally, I watched 3:34 Earthquake in Chile a few days ago. That earthquake was in 2010 and was 8.9 on the Richter Scale.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:42 AM   #54
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Earthquakes have not been too kind to Chile these last few years. Coincidentally, I watched 3:34 Earthquake in Chile a few days ago. That earthquake was in 2010 and was 8.9 on the Richter Scale.

They actually have earthquakes there fairly often (obviously not at this magnitude) due to being part of the very very active Pacific Ring of Fire. This is also why they have so many volcano eruptions as well.

My wife and I had a discussion just earlier this week about Earthquakes, I told her how they are the one natural type event that scare me (not bothered by hurricanes, blizzards, tornadoes, etc). For her they don't phase her at all since she was born in Chile and moved to California as a teenager, they have been part of most of her life.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #55
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
They actually have earthquakes there fairly often (obviously not at this magnitude) due to being part of the very very active Pacific Ring of Fire. This is also why they have so many volcano eruptions as well.

My wife and I had a discussion just earlier this week about Earthquakes, I told her how they are the one natural type event that scare me (not bothered by hurricanes, blizzards, tornadoes, etc). For her they don't phase her at all since she was born in Chile and moved to California as a teenager, they have been part of most of her life.

Yeah, I feel the same way as your wife. Earthquakes don't phase me at all. A tornado, though, I'll admit that would freak me out. Especially in California, where we don't usually have basements.

This will probably seem strange to you all back east, but I am not sure I can even conceptualize being in an actual hurricane or blizzard. In other words, I am too ignorant to fear them.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #56
MacroGuru
Coordinator

As I think about it, I experienced a small minor Earthquake in Utah when I was a kid.

My first true Blizzard happened this year and I was lucky enough to experience 2 of them.

I experienced tornadoes in Memphis, D.C. and Orlando

I caught the tail end of a Hurricane in Florida and dealt with the last dying breaths of Hurricane Fran in 1996.

So really, I haven't had a true Earthquake or a Volcano. I remember as a kid when Mt. Saint Helens blew, we had ash falling in Provo, Utah for like a week, it was pretty crazy..
Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #57
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yeah, I feel the same way as your wife. Earthquakes don't phase me at all. A tornado, though, I'll admit that would freak me out. Especially in California, where we don't usually have basements.

This will probably seem strange to you all back east, but I am not sure I can even conceptualize being in an actual hurricane or blizzard. In other words, I am too ignorant to fear them.

Blizzards do not bother me. Most of the time you have plenty of warning and can be in a safe place. Have some food and blankets for if the power goes and you are fine.

Tornados don't bother me at all. Lived in Oklahoma for 8 years and didn't have a basement there. You learn to sense the weather that makes them likely. If they are likely, you turn on the news and it'll tell you where the danger areas are. Stay low and you should be fine.

Earthquakes scare the ever loving hell out of me. You can't predict them, there is no subtle warning and then you die. Last part is a joke, I have never been in one. I haven't felt any of them so far (living in menifee) I'm terrified of one happening.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #58
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

Yes indeed. I've had the pleasure of experiencing a few of the Ring of Fires 'gifts' over the years. Chile is also home of the largest ever recorded earthquake (9.5) back in, I think, 1960.

I'm in the same boat as your wife regarding earthquakes. They happen so infrequently (big ones) that you can go years without having a noticeable one, but, blizzards, hurricanes and especially tornadoes are pretty much a guarantee each and every year. My only hang up with earthquakes is, I don't want to be on a bridge when one happens. The thought of that scares the crap out of me.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Blizzards do not bother me. Most of the time you have plenty of warning and can be in a safe place. Have some food and blankets for if the power goes and you are fine.

Tornados don't bother me at all. Lived in Oklahoma for 8 years and didn't have a basement there. You learn to sense the weather that makes them likely. If they are likely, you turn on the news and it'll tell you where the danger areas are. Stay low and you should be fine.

Earthquakes scare the ever loving hell out of me. You can't predict them, there is no subtle warning and then you die. Last part is a joke, I have never been in one. I haven't felt any of them so far (living in menifee) I'm terrified of one happening.

You didn't feel the quakes this past weekend? Menifee is a little bit away from La Habra, but it's not that far, maybe 40 miles. So maybe you're better with quakes than you think.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #60
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You didn't feel the quakes this past weekend? Menifee is a little bit away from La Habra, but it's not that far, maybe 40 miles. So maybe you're better with quakes than you think.

I had friends in Menifee who felt it. Never registered with me at all.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote