Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2008, 06:49 AM   #51
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'm not a fanboy by any means, but I have to say - the games that I really care about will be pre-ordered on the PS3 only for me. That means NCAA and NHL 09 - I just don't really feel like dealing with another potential RROD when a game I really want to play comes out.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #52
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post

Interesting..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #53
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I miss my 360. I hope my bud gets his back soon.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #54
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

XBOX 360 Falcon Chips are the best. (Any XBOX manufactured in 2008 is a Falcon). Practically no RROD (which is always a heat-related error, thanks to the faulty design of the X-Clamp, which has been phased out with the arrival of the Falcon.).

/me loving XBOX 360 right now.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #55
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
I got the red dot of death. The 4th controller quadrant turned red for me and I got a E74 or E47 message on the screen. M$ said it would be $100 to fix it. Gotta find a way to get around that...

Stupid extended warranty only applies to RROD's...

E74, your graphics upscaler chip is most likely fried (not the GPU), which would reasonably cost a lot.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #56
hukarez
College Starter

Well, that was quick!

I get an email at 4:17am stating that they've received my 360... and at 4:32am, I get another email stating that they've completed repairs on my 360 and have provided a tracking number already!

I think I'd be lucky to get it before the weekend, if not early next week.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #57
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Jeez, I got the email on friday that they had received mine, but have yet to receive the "completed repairs" email. This is taking forever.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #58
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

I came home at lunch to work from home and discovered a little "we missed you" card on my door from Purolator. Looks like I'll have my XBox back later tonight!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #59
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Mine was just received at the repair facility today!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:28 AM   #60
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

And is being shipped back to me now!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #61
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

That's good news, bsak!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #62
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

So I picked mine up from the depot last night and it's a super old model (Apr 06), which sucks because I was sort of hoping for a newer one. Oh well.

I popped in GTA and things didn't seem as 'smooth' as I remember. The graphics seemed a little choppier, the colours washed out, and the sounds uneven. Not sure what that's about. I'm going to try CoD and NHL 08 later and see if I notice anything there. Hopefully there are no problems.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #63
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah, I was hoping when I got my "new" one back, it would be a new Falcon, but they're only giving back old refurbs at this point
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #64
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Yeah, I was hoping when I got my "new" one back, it would be a new Falcon, but they're only giving back old refurbs at this point

From what I know, the XBOX360 warrantee basically recycles broken units that were fixed as replacements for the xboxes that are coming in. Considering that Falcons have, thus far, proven to be extremely reliable. I doubt that there are any in the rotation.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #65
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
So I picked mine up from the depot last night and it's a super old model (Apr 06), which sucks because I was sort of hoping for a newer one. Oh well.

I popped in GTA and things didn't seem as 'smooth' as I remember. The graphics seemed a little choppier, the colours washed out, and the sounds uneven. Not sure what that's about. I'm going to try CoD and NHL 08 later and see if I notice anything there. Hopefully there are no problems.

I'd call and bitch if that's the case. That's bullshit if you got one back that didn't run properly.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #66
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I should add that when I was signing for the box, I had the following conversation with the Purolator guy (and keep in mind I hadn't mentioned what was in the box, which is essentially unmarked. These guys just know what's in there because they see the same shaped boxes so often):

Purolator Guy: "Good luck with this one."
Me: "... ya. Let's hope so!"
PG: "The record is 12."
Me: "12? Seriously? Same guy?"
PG: "Yep. 12."
Me: "Oh god..."
Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #67
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I'd call and bitch if that's the case. That's bullshit if you got one back that didn't run properly.

I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it or not. You know how when you are looking for a problem you can make yourself think it is there? I'll know better once I play a couple different games.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #68
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I should add that when I was signing for the box, I had the following conversation with the Purolator guy (and keep in mind I hadn't mentioned what was in the box, which is essentially unmarked. These guys just know what's in there because they see the same shaped boxes so often):

Purolator Guy: "Good luck with this one."
Me: "... ya. Let's hope so!"
PG: "The record is 12."
Me: "12? Seriously? Same guy?"
PG: "Yep. 12."
Me: "Oh god..."

that was hilarious, and sad at the same time...

FM
Old 06-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #69
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post

What's coming out after Falcon? Valhalla?
tweet tweet twitter
Old 06-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #70
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
From what I know, the XBOX360 warrantee basically recycles broken units that were fixed as replacements for the xboxes that are coming in. Considering that Falcons have, thus far, proven to be extremely reliable. I doubt that there are any in the rotation.

Not sure what you consider to be 'extremely reliable'. The Falcon model failure rate is still around 10%.

http://gizmodo.com/346891/new-xbox-3...und-10-percent

Granted, that's much better than the earlier models, but it's still ridiculously high when compared to failure rates on the other 2 competing consoles and on general electronics such as DVD's, stereos, amplifiers, TV's, etc.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #71
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More bad press for Microsoft in the place where they can afford it the least: Europe. The current RROD repair costs total over $782 million USD.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstor...9520-20634547/

Quote:
£500m bill for Xbox red ring of death
EXCLUSIVE MAYHEM FOR MICROSOFT
By Ruki Sayid Consumer Editor
7/07/2008

Computer giants Microsoft are facing a £500million repair bill after their Xbox Elite consoles were hit by the notorious "red ring of death".

The console was originally thought to be immune from the problem, which permanently freezes the unit after a ring of green lights on the power control button turn red.

Now, hundreds of angry owners are sending back their £290 consoles, which are being shipped to Germany for repair. But the fault remains a mystery. Jamie King, 16, from Gomshall, Surrey, said: "I got my Xbox in September and it packed up eight months later in June.

"First, it kept freezing, then it developed the red ring of death."

In a statement, Microsoft simply said: "The majority of Xbox 360 owners enjoy a great experience with their console.

"Anyone with a problem should call Xbox customer service."

Last year, the company had to recall 230,000 Xbox steering wheels worldwide after complaints that they overheated.

And it spent £500million recalling power cords supplied with units made before 2003 after 300 caught fire and burnt seven gamers.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #72
WVUFAN
College Starter

A week before the release of NCAA, and last night I got the red ring of death.

This world hates me.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #73
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post

This world hates me.

awww, dont give up the World is big....that's a lot of hate. On second thought if you know the WHOLE world hates you....that's a lot of hate

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #74
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Not sure what you consider to be 'extremely reliable'. The Falcon model failure rate is still around 10%.

Did you even read the article? The only thing they have is a rumor.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #75
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
What's coming out after Falcon? Valhalla?

Opus will be next. They're going to fit a Falcon board into a Xenon case.

Valhalla will be out after that. Both the CPU and GPU will be on a unified 65 nm chip. Expect the 360 to have a drastic price cut because of the reduction of production cost.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #76
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Did you even read the article? The only thing they have is a rumor.

Well, the RROD was a 'rumor' for several months. We all know how well that ended when MS was all but forced to admit the massive hardware failures. The article from today discussing the Elite 360 failures in Europe certainly does nothing to discount that 'rumor'. For the record, a former MS employee who was on the team who designed the 360 has already said that his former co-workers have put the Elite failure rate at 10%, and he noted that he wasn't sure that would even be the final percentage, as the units were relatively new at that point and shouldn't be failing at nearly that rate. That's not much of a rumor when it's a direct source.

Honestly, anyone who dismisses the possibility of all 360's having high failure rates is whistling past the graveyard at this point. It's always a rumor until your 360 is the one to burn out.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-07-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #77
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well, the RROD was a 'rumor' for several months. We all know how well that ended when MS was all but forced to admit the massive hardware failures. The article from today discussing the Elite 360 failures in Europe certainly does nothing to discount that 'rumor'.

Honestly, anyone who dismisses the possibility of all 360's having high failure rates is whistling past the graveyard at this point. It's always a rumor until your 360 is the one to burn out.

You do know that the first Falcons were produced in August '07? And that most of the first Falcon units were probably sold in late '07 / early '08?

It appears that the Elites that returned with RRODs being talked about in that article are over a year old, most likely non-Falcons.

Noone is saying that the old units do not have high failure rates. You probably didn't understand what I was pointing out, so I'll clarify. I was pointing out that there is no empirical data that shows the failure rate of Falcons because they have only been out on the market for such a short time.

And in that short time, based on most of the XBOX360 forums I've been to, the Falcon has definitely been proven reliable. I have only seen one confirmed 3RL'd Falcon so far, and it's here in the Philippines (weather-related heat, most likely).
Old 07-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #78
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
awww, dont give up the World is big....that's a lot of hate. On second thought if you know the WHOLE world hates you....that's a lot of hate

Heh.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:57 AM   #79
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You do know that the first Falcons were produced in August '07? And that most of the first Falcon units were probably sold in late '07 / early '08?

It appears that the Elites that returned with RRODs being talked about in that article are over a year old, most likely non-Falcons.

Noone is saying that the old units do not have high failure rates. You probably didn't understand what I was pointing out, so I'll clarify. I was pointing out that there is no empirical data that shows the failure rate of Falcons because they have only been out on the market for such a short time.

And in that short time, based on most of the XBOX360 forums I've been to, the Falcon has definitely been proven reliable. I have only seen one confirmed 3RL'd Falcon so far, and it's here in the Philippines (weather-related heat, most likely).

So, based on your research in various 360 forums, the Falcon is very reliable.

Here's the interview that has been cited numerous times regarding 360 failure rates. He discusses both Falcon and non-Falcon failure rates (specifically states that overall rate is around 30%, though all early units will fail eventually. Puts Falcon rate at 10%, though he believes that will increase over time). Most of what he discusses in this article has been proven to be very accurate. Hopefully they do a follow-up article with this guy in the near future.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/d...ves/129866.asp
Old 07-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #80
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
So, based on your research in various 360 forums, the Falcon is very reliable.

Here's the interview that has been cited numerous times regarding 360 failure rates. He discusses both Falcon and non-Falcon failure rates (specifically states that overall rate is around 30%, though all early units will fail eventually. Puts Falcon rate at 10%, though he believes that will increase over time). Most of what he discusses in this article has been proven to be very accurate. Hopefully they do a follow-up article with this guy in the near future.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/d...ves/129866.asp

Ok. You're right, I'm wrong. End of discussion.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #81
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Ok. You're right, I'm wrong. End of discussion.

Honestly, had I posted that I saw on the PS3 message boards that Sony said something that contradicted all the information that proved otherwise, I would have been hammered.

I'm a superstitious man. I know you just recently bought your 360 Elite unit. There's plenty of good games on the console and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. My only point is that you're begging for trouble when you start noting the reliability of a 360 console.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #82
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Opus will be next. They're going to fit a Falcon board into a Xenon case.

Valhalla will be out after that. Both the CPU and GPU will be on a unified 65 nm chip. Expect the 360 to have a drastic price cut because of the reduction of production cost.

I hope for a quieter DVD drive in these next incarnations... unless yours was outfitted with one? I don't plan on getting rid of my iteration of the 360 - more of a sentimental thing, considering it was a birthday gift from the folks back then.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #83
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
I have only seen one confirmed 3RL'd Falcon so far, and it's here in the Philippines (weather-related heat, most likely).

...and I will be there in 2 years for training!
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #84
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Mine just died again. This is Xbox 360 #3. It lasted a year.

MS says 2-3 weeks before I get it back.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #85
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post

This world hates me.

This is why I have a backup 360.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post

I'm on 360's #'s 4 and 5. I have two because a good buddy of mine comes over and we have 2 TV's set up in my game room (yes, I'm an uber-nerd). It's good that I have a backup system because I've gone through 3 systems in 28 months. 2 of the systems I used pretty often, as I'm an avid gamer. The other system had maybe 20 hours of use before it broke (it was my second one).

The 360 is a great system and IMO the best one out there...when it's working. Anyone who buys one needs to know in advance that any of the older systems (made in '07 or before) have at least a 30-50% failure rate I would guess. Thankfully M$ or Best Buy have covered the warranties for all of my systems so far...so far.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that I'll go through at least 2 more 360's before I purchase its successor. I'm optimistic
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #86
Groundhog
Coordinator

A failure rate as high as the 360's is unforgivable.

I gave mine away to a family member after its last RRoD. Very happy with my PS3, but I only really play sports games these days anyhow, so I don't really miss the exclusive titles.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #87
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
What I find interesting in the discussions around the RROD failures is that there seems to be a much higher number of people who have had multiple failures versus those who have had a single failure.

Since the biggest group of 360 owners are those who have never had any RRODs, it would stand to reason that the next biggest group would be those with a single failure, then the smallest group those with multiple failures. But based on anecdotal evidence, it seems that there are many more examples of people having 3, 4 or 5 failures versus those who have had it happen once.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #88
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

I know someone that went through 3 and bitched enough to get a cash refund...

Anyway, I'm supposed to FINALLY get my 360 back tomorrow, then I will bitch to make sure they give me some free months of live since they screwed up twice.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #89
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

As I have said, I have never had one. Same 360 for two years.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #90
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
What I find interesting in the discussions around the RROD failures is that there seems to be a much higher number of people who have had multiple failures versus those who have had a single failure.

Since the biggest group of 360 owners are those who have never had any RRODs, it would stand to reason that the next biggest group would be those with a single failure, then the smallest group those with multiple failures. But based on anecdotal evidence, it seems that there are many more examples of people having 3, 4 or 5 failures versus those who have had it happen once.

Well, I think obviously a lot of people who are getting multiple failures are probably using their console an awful lot. I probably used it for an hour or two every other night, more on weekends. I had two RRoDs. This was a 360 bought on the initial release day.

Everyone I can think of who has a 360 has had at least one, and I'm talking about around 10 people off the top of my head, and they range from guys who played it about as much as me, to guys who play it a fair bit. Two of my more hardcore gamer friends have had plenty - One is on his 5th IIRC.

To me it seems the largest percentage of owners who have had their console for several years have had atleast one RRoD. I'd be surprised if anyone has an original release 360 and hasn't yet had a single RRoD.

Just as serious to me was the scratched disk problem. While no 360 game I had actually got scratched up enough to stop working, the bottom of the discs looked bad enough that if I were to buy any of the games I played a fair amount of (NBA 2K7, Gears of War, etc.) 2nd hand from EB Games or something, I'd return them due to the scratches. I am a big movie and music collector and treat all discs as if they were my children, so this one really grates with me.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #91
dbd1963
High School JV

In my case, I got the RRoD, sent it in. They fixed that, but when unit came back it would no longer play any DVDs. So back to M$ it has gone..

Ironic that they broke it while fixing it. I would like to sell it and be done with it altogether.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #92
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Anyone know if they are getting the same console back after repairs or are you getting a different machine?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #93
Comey
College Starter

My girlfriend bought me a PS3 w/ RockBand as a bit of an anniversary gift. In doing my research on consoles (I haven't owned one in a few years), the RRoD was the mitigating factor in my decision to look solely at the PS3.

I think the right decision was made. I look forward to picking up NCAA 2009 in one week and not worrying about any problems.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #94
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Except you won't be in the FOFC 360 NCAA leagues of awesomeness!!!

But yeah, sounds like PS3 was the choice for you.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #95
dbd1963
High School JV

Quote:
Anyone know if they are getting the same console back after repairs or are you getting a different machine?

In my case, the serial number was the same so I got the same machine back.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #96
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, mine was the same machine both times.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #97
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I got a different machine back the only time I sent it in to M$.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #98
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:

When I got mine back, I had the same serial number. Pretty much the same machine.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 AM   #99
WVUFAN
College Starter

The UPS tracking info says my 360 was received at the facility 3 days ago, but it's not left the "I'm still waiting for your console" message when I check the status.

Frustrating.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #100
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Mine jumped from that message to the last one in a matter of hours. I don't think they are too good with updating it.