Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #51
duff88
College Prospect

After a up-and-down first year, I ended the second season going 200-for-613 (.326) with 13HR-60RBI-15SB. The Blue Jays made it to the post-season as wild card team before eliminating the Mariners, Tigers and Brewers on our way to a World Series win. Vernon Wells was WS MVP, but I had excellent playoffs, hitting for .396 with 2HR-13RBI.

So I finish my second season, go into the off-season thinking I'm finally going to get a good raise from my 650K$. I sign Michael as my agent, I had built up my relationship with him in the off-season and thought he was going to get me a great contract. The offer comes, 700K$... I refuse, they lowball me to 600K$. I refuse every offer until they come up witha 750K$ on the last day of negotiation. I don't consider myself greedy, but I actually was frustrated that I didn't get a bigger raise.

duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #52
spleen1015
Coordinator

Shoulda entered Free Agency!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #53
stevew
Hall Of Famer

THX for the help. Finally got a pitcher out of AA. Keep struggling in AAA but will use some of the suggested strategies
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #54
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I've been playing about ten hours now. My first player got fired. My second player made the Red Sox and is now hitting .380 with 15 HRs in June. Broke into the starting lineup pretty early in the season. I've played 3 seasons with the Japanese PSP version and that has helped my hitting in this version.

Some impressions...

Lots of fun. MyMLBLife mode is awesome.

However, there are things in the Japanese PSP version that didn't make it into the US Wii version. Maybe I can't just can't find them, but in the Japanese version you can see a dynamic all-time career totals leader board for all sorts of individual stats. This if of course great if you're playing a career in MyLife, as you can climb up the all-time leader board in all sorts of categories. I can't seem to find that in the US version. Also, while there is a single season record leaders' chart, the all-time numbers at the top seem to be based on the last season only? Goofy. In the Japanese version, the game makes a note the first time you get each type of a hit in a particular stadium, and even tracks how many homeruns you hit that land outside the park. The US version seems to track many fewer variables.

The English translations are functional, but poorly written. The game text has a very "translated" feel to it. Most of this times it doesn't interfere with gameplay, but there are things that are hard to figure out. There is a screen that tracks various statistical leaders in season, and it took me a while to figure out that "consecutive hits" meant consecutive games with a hit.

The announcing is mediocre to poor. The voice quality is good, but the exaggerated tone usually misses the mark. You can be down 8-0 in the seventh inning, and the announcer gets all excited when you bloop a two-out single with the bases empty. It just doesn't fit. And every once in a while the comments are just off. I'll hit a pop fly to center and the announcer will announce it as a ground ball to short. This falls far short of the quality in the Japanese version.

All in all, I'm glad I got the game, and it's definitely fun to play on the big screen with US baseball teams. But the little details that make the Japanese PSP version the best arcade/simulation baseball game I've ever played are lacking in the US version. It's clearly a step behind the original.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 08-18-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #55
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Dola...

For those struggling with making the majors...

At first I was concentrating on playing well, but that's almost secondary. The key, I think, is to pay attention to the coach and scout evaluations and do anything that improves them. Practice with the coach. Good hitting/pitching in games will help, of course, but it seems to me it's easier to get points through the stuff outside the simulation. My first try at AA I went 8 for 10 at the plate with 2 HRs and didn't make the majors. My second try at AAA I only had 3 hits and 1HR but made the pros.

And has anyone figured out if you have any further contact in MyMLBLife with your dad, that girl you liked, and your rival from success mode? The Japanese version is totally disjoint (so far, anyway), and I don't see any connections yet in the US version either. It'd be nice if those characters from success mode showed up in your life when you were in the pros.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 08-18-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #56
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post
So I finish my second season, go into the off-season thinking I'm finally going to get a good raise from my 650K$. I sign Michael as my agent, I had built up my relationship with him in the off-season and thought he was going to get me a great contract. The offer comes, 700K$... I refuse, they lowball me to 600K$. I refuse every offer until they come up witha 750K$ on the last day of negotiation. I don't consider myself greedy, but I actually was frustrated that I didn't get a bigger raise.

I had roughly the same exact offers at the end of my first year, but on the last day they offered me a cool million, which made me happy.

I'm in the tail-end of my second year, and I'll soon have to negotiate again. This year though, I made the all-star roster, and although my weak-ass fielding skills relegated me to 1 at-bat as a pinch hitter, the 'reward' for making the all-star squad was meeting an all-star agent, and I'm interested to see if there's a dramatic difference in the quality of offer I get, this time around.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #57
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I had roughly the same exact offers at the end of my first year, but on the last day they offered me a cool million, which made me happy.

I'm in the tail-end of my second year, and I'll soon have to negotiate again. This year though, I made the all-star roster, and although my weak-ass fielding skills relegated me to 1 at-bat as a pinch hitter, the 'reward' for making the all-star squad was meeting an all-star agent, and I'm interested to see if there's a dramatic difference in the quality of offer I get, this time around.

I got hosed in my first negotiation. First offer was for about 1 million for a year, which I refused. All the subsequent offers were less, and the last one was only 500k for a year. I had that all-star agent, but my relationship with him was only 1-star.

I also got hosed by that "donate $500 for each HR you hit" screen that—ha ha funny—adds a zero to the amount. I ended up hitting 45 home runs in my rookie year, which put me $220,000 in debt at the end of the year.

It took me half a year at my crappy new contract level to pay off the debt. All my exercise equipment broke, so all I did was read books for six months.

I wonder when you get the option to become a free agent? I only had the option to sign the final offer in my negotiation. I'm so pissed at the Red Sox for low-balling me on my contract that I want to sign with some other AL East team and exact my revenge!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #58
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
I got hosed in my first negotiation. First offer was for about 1 million for a year, which I refused. All the subsequent offers were less, and the last one was only 500k for a year. I had that all-star agent, but my relationship with him was only 1-star.

I also got hosed by that "donate $500 for each HR you hit" screen that—ha ha funny—adds a zero to the amount. I ended up hitting 45 home runs in my rookie year, which put me $220,000 in debt at the end of the year.

It took me half a year at my crappy new contract level to pay off the debt. All my exercise equipment broke, so all I did was read books for six months.

I wonder when you get the option to become a free agent? I only had the option to sign the final offer in my negotiation. I'm so pissed at the Red Sox for low-balling me on my contract that I want to sign with some other AL East team and exact my revenge!

Same boat...I am playing with the Padres and in the 1st season, I made it in as a pinch hitter for most of the season, was sent back down to the AAA once and came back up immediately in 3 games.

I ended up taking over the starting catcher spot, and ended the season on an upswing. Renegotiation brought me to the 825K in salary.

I am now in my 2nd season, I am batting at the 4 spot, lead the league in hits, I have 17 HR's and 70 RBI's. I lead in doubles as well. I made the all star team too.

I am entering August, the Padres are in 1st place and I am hoping we make the playoffs. When we renegotiate I am hoping to make some serious cash.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #59
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I am entering August, the Padres are in 1st place and I am hoping we make the playoffs.

Humm. Anyone wonder whether this game "sets the table" in MyLife mode?

In the Japanese PSP version, our team had a goal of "winning the Japan Series", and was in first place all season long. We ended up winning the World Series.

Now, in the Wii version, my team's goal in the second year is "win the World Series", and we're in first place at the halfway point.

Sounds like the same thing is happening in your game, too.

Gasp. Could it be fixed!?!?! Is Power Pros like Pro Wrestling?!?!?!
Old 08-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #60
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yeah....that sucked. I went for $2,500 and am now ~$700K in debt, which will probably take me all of next year to make up (If I'm lucky).

Thanks, coach!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #61
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

IMPOSSIBLE!

In unrelated news, I just finished up my second season by winning my second series, and series MVP.

I had bumped my relationship with Jacob, the all-star agent, up to 3 stars and perhaps as a result of that I was offered a $10MM 1yr deal, which I greedily snapped up, and will hopefully help pay off some of that debt created by the coaches home-run 'mistake'.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-20-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #62
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Humm. Anyone wonder whether this game "sets the table" in MyLife mode?

In the Japanese PSP version, our team had a goal of "winning the Japan Series", and was in first place all season long. We ended up winning the World Series.

Now, in the Wii version, my team's goal in the second year is "win the World Series", and we're in first place at the halfway point.

We are holding onto first with a one game lead, the Rockies made a last minute trade that actually helped them, a lot and they have been our bane, I don't know if we can hold them off going into the next couple of months.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #63
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I don't think it would be automatic that you win the World Series in the second year. I wonder though if you win it if you reach certain individual benchmarks.

My big question is if there are variables other than the expected ones that influence your teammates' play or your team's performance. Is it just the game engine generating results based on player ratings, team spirit, etc., or is there some larger force (your performance perhaps influencing your team's performance) at work.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:02 AM   #64
thesloppy
Pro Starter

So, somewhere around September of my second year, the batting mode just changed dramatically out of the blue. Originally, before the pitcher released the ball, the marker would move to the exact spot that the pitch was going, and now I get two-to-three times as much motion, with the ball marker going in one direction, stopping and then moving another direction, before the release, and the pitch ending up anywhere along either of those paths.

I had experienced pitching like that a couple times towards the end of 'success' mode, and I triple-checked all my options to make sure I hadn't changed anything, and I thought perhaps it was just the result of facing an 'ace' pitcher, but it continued constantly through all of September, into the playoffs, and into the new season, so I guess it's here to stay.

Anybody else experienced this? Does your batting mode differ from what I described?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:41 AM   #65
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I started on expert level and the pitcher in the pros would move around and set on a spot and then at the last moment move. I got put down into AAA and it was easy again so I got back in the pros fast and back to the late movement. This one pitcher had a ball icon move all around and like almost vibrate. He struck me out in three pitches.
So yes I have experienced this and always have in Life mode in the pros. I've played less than a month in life mode with a batter.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 AM   #66
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
So, somewhere around September of my second year, the batting mode just changed dramatically out of the blue. Originally, before the pitcher released the ball, the marker would move to the exact spot that the pitch was going, and now I get two-to-three times as much motion, with the ball marker going in one direction, stopping and then moving another direction, before the release, and the pitch ending up anywhere along either of those paths.

I had experienced pitching like that a couple times towards the end of 'success' mode, and I triple-checked all my options to make sure I hadn't changed anything, and I thought perhaps it was just the result of facing an 'ace' pitcher, but it continued constantly through all of September, into the playoffs, and into the new season, so I guess it's here to stay.

Anybody else experienced this? Does your batting mode differ from what I described?

I get this when my condition is low, like when my guy is purple and flat.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #67
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Does anyone have a good suggestion about which batting difficulty mode to put it on? I looked through the manual and couldn't find any details about what the various levels of auto-lock do.

I tried the 'best contact' (best something, can't remember at the moment) level and the hitting just about turned into softball. It was pretty easy to hit .450 and beyond. Then the pitching that thesloppy mentioned started happening. I thought it was the game's way of compensating for my well above average hitting, but macroguru may be on to something as I hadn't checked my condition. Sounds like that could be the reason for the strange pitch paths.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #68
Celeval
Pro Starter

Lockon 5 is easier to hit with than Lockon 1. It's essentially how close you have to be to the sweet spot of the bat to get good contact.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #69
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:

I've noticed that the sweet spot for hitting gets smaller when your condition is poor.

I have also noticed the "jumping ball" indicator. I thought this happened right after my coach mentioned that my opponents will be scouting me much more closely before games now, but maybe it is related to condition instead? It took me a while to adjust to it. I find that I am able to pick up some homeruns by setting my sights on the very first place that the indicator flashes. Especially with fastballs, the ball seems to end up in that first spot a fair percentage of the time.

I also think that teams make adjustments in how they pitch you. I usually can start out hot in April, but then I see lots more breaking stuff low after that. Happened in the Japanese game too. I think this is connected to the "scouting" remarks, and happens when you start doing well.

And lastly, I'm leaning away from thinking the game "sets the table" for you in MyLife. I'd be interested to see how others' experiences go.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 08-21-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #70
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Dola...

Random things I wonder...

1. Is anyone having success pulling the ball consistently? I seem to get a majority of hits and homeruns to the opposite field and center. (I'm playing as a switch hitter.)

2. Anyone else totally suck at running like me?

3. Can you be going steady with two women at the same time? Can you dump women? I'm dating the store clerk now, but I've got a five-star relationship with the announcer. I'd like to either date both, or dump the clerk. I think she hates the Japanese restaurant. I wonder if I can just keep taking her on dates there.

4. Anyone figure out any benefits to friendships with other players? I'm good friends with Papelbon, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

5. Anyone else get the "Mirror or Truth"? I just bought it, but I'm on the road and can't use it until I get back to Boston. I wonder what it does.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #71
Flasch186
Coordinator

I bought this but which game should I start with? in Success mode I keep getting fired so Im tired of the redundancy? Is Season mode like a "career" where you run a team and play the team?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #72
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
5. Anyone else get the "Mirror or Truth"? I just bought it, but I'm on the road and can't use it until I get back to Boston. I wonder what it does.

I think the $50k version is a dud (not the real thing). The $500k version, from what I've read, shows your password, so you can use your player in Season & other modes.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #73
MacroGuru
Coordinator

OK, here is where I am at...

We won the division, went to the playoffs and were swept by the Mets in the LCS. I broke the record for most doubles in a season by 7 doubles, I also led the league in hits. I ended up getting the hitter of the year award in only my second season.

Up comes contract renegotiation time, I ask Jacob (I have 3 Stars with him) the all-star agent to negotiate for me. He comes back with a 1.6 million x 1 year offer, I tell him it's not good enough and he tells me to either sign it, or quit playing in the majors....what kind of bullshit is that!? I am not even give a choice to go FA and my guy reluctantly signs it and Jacob tells me that I should have used a different agent.

I am actually quite pissed at this turn of events, I hate to say it, but besides our pitching staff, I am the best player on the Padres. Well, off to my 3rd season.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 PM   #74
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I bought this but which game should I start with? in Success mode I keep getting fired so Im tired of the redundancy? Is Season mode like a "career" where you run a team and play the team?

Season mode is the franchise mode. 10-year limit, but pretty darn good outside of that.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #75
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

Up comes contract renegotiation time, I ask Jacob (I have 3 Stars with him) the all-star agent to negotiate for me. He comes back with a 1.6 million x 1 year offer, I tell him it's not good enough and he tells me to either sign it, or quit playing in the majors....what kind of bullshit is that!? I am not even give a choice to go FA and my guy reluctantly signs it and Jacob tells me that I should have used a different agent.

I am actually quite pissed at this turn of events, I hate to say it, but besides our pitching staff, I am the best player on the Padres. Well, off to my 3rd season.

Hmm, that's odd. I got 10 million out of Jacob with 3 stars, and I wasn't the batting champ (although he also gave me the single offer and got angry when I asked him to negotiate further).

My batting never returned to 'normal' FWIW, it changed permanently to the more-difficult zig-zag style in september of my second year, and has continued on through the playoffs, and 2 months into my third season, through increased and decreased scouting, and every possible level of conditioning. Frankly, it's a bitch...I can hit OK swinging normally (I'm at .328 right now), but hitting for power is super tough. I'll be lucky to finish with 10 HRs. I want my easy batting back.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:30 AM   #76
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I got 2.4 million with Darryl as my agent (5 stars) after my second year. Negotiations started at 1 million, but went up each round. I was the MVP, led the league in hitting (.410+), and HRs (66), missed the triple crown by 2 RBIs (138). Frankly, I thought I deserved more, but I wonder if position matters. My fielding sucks, so I spent most of the year as the DH. Maybe that gets less salary?

On one of the screens (My Data?), there is an info line that tells you how many years you have until free agency. I think mine said 4 when I was in my second year. I haven't looked this year (just started my third season.)

And I don't think my batting has returned to normal either (the cursor is always zig-zagging), which is why I'm thinking it has to do with scouting/reputation, and not due to condition.

I'm curious, what are people doing for hitting strategies?

I usually turn on big swing for the first strike, and only swing if the pitcher groves it or tosses a fastball or straight-change waist high (where three of my four orange power zones lie) and near the center.

After the first strike, I'll usually switch to regular swing, but will often stay with a big swing if the pitcher is wiping his brow a lot (I think this indicates he's getting tired, and seems more likely to grove one) or if there are two outs and no one on. Even if one of these is true, I'll usually switch to a regular swing if the pitcher has good breaking stuff, which I struggle to hit well.

After two strikes, I almost always switch to a regular swing. I'll only stay with a big swing if the situation is meaningless or the pitcher is doing that dizzy dance (lots of groved pitches).

I think I hit 25+ HRs last year on mistakes alone (those exclamation mark pitches; lately I've been jumping on them too fast and pulling the majority of these foul), and I've been having good luck getting homeruns lately by setting my batting sight on the first flash (if it's in one of my power zones) before the pitcher releases, then swinging if the pitch is in that circle.

The manual also mentions that you'll hit with more power if you hold the cursor steady before you swing, so moving the bat cursor to the ball as you swing doesn't result in good power. I've definitely found this to be true, and only occasionally hit homeruns on pitches I adjust to as they come in. It seems to make a big difference if I can even set the batting cursor for just a fraction of a second before I swing. With this in mind, I've found that taking lots of strikes is a good thing. If I have to travel far with the big swing batting cursor I'm not going to hit much of anything, so I might as well take the pitch. And the more pitches I see the better the odds are that I'll get a mistake. Mistake=HR.

For the longest time I didn't know whether it was better to look at the ball or the pitch cursor when the pitch is coming in. I realize now that I was looking at the pitch cursor until it started doing that dance that it does now. But once it starts doing that, I found that chasing that damn thing around with my eyes was useless, so I started watching the pitch as it comes in. Now, I finally figured out that when I'm hitting well I'm actually watching three things at once: the batting cursor, the pitch, and the pitch cursor, with most of my attention on the pitch itself, and picking up the alignment of the pitch cursor and bat cursor with peripheral vision.

It's amazing, though, how deep the batting in this game is. Counting the three seasons I played on the Japanese PSP and the two I've finished now on the Wii, I've played five full seasons. There have been months where I can't hit anything, and months where I rack up 15+ homeruns. But each year I've upped my homerun total and average and figured out something that has made me just a bit better. I think I'm finally getting to the point where I want to increase the difficulty to make the game more challenging.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 08-22-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:52 AM   #77
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

At least I know now why I was looking inside and it was outside and got on it very late but thought I was dead on and knew it was going to be a home run and it didn't leave the yard. Yeah the batting is very hard, I really like the pitching on expert though because I can exercise and still concentrate enough. Anyone else pitching. On normal when using a knuckleball pitcher every time it didn't have movement the batter would swing and miss, thankfully that is not the case on the harder level. I really can't believe I like this game as much as I do.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #78
Calis
College Starter

The DS version of this hits this week doesn't it?

I think this is one game I'll end up having to buy on two platforms because the thought of a portable version of it appeals to me quite a bit. Hopefully it has a pretty decent MLB Life mode like the console version.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #79
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I got 2.4 million with Darryl as my agent (5 stars) after my second year. Negotiations started at 1 million, but went up each round. I was the MVP, led the league in hitting (.410+), and HRs (66), missed the triple crown by 2 RBIs (138). Frankly, I thought I deserved more, but I wonder if position matters. My fielding sucks, so I spent most of the year as the DH. Maybe that gets less salary?

Hmmm. FWIW I just finished my third season, and after complaining about the change to a permanent zig-zag ball, I ended up adjusting and finished with a better avg (.382) and HR total (37) than I had previously ever posted. Although my totals are well below yours, I also spent the entire year as a DH, made league MVP, and used Darryl (at 5 stars) as my agent...but I went up from $10MM to $23MM, which is a pretty drastic difference from the numbers you guys are getting, even with better numbers.

Somewhere in success mode, I did pick up the 'star' attribute though, could that be making that much of a difference? Also, we've won the series three years running, and I was series MVP each time, but that doesn't seem like it would be drastically more important than league MVP, or hitting 60 HRs. Oh, I also had 30+ stolen bases.

Alternately, I wonder if your salary could possibly be tied to your coaches book-keeping 'mistake', which ended up costing me over a million bucks in my first year. That would be, uhhhh, 'interesting' if that were the determining factor.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #80
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
The DS version of this hits this week doesn't it?

I think this is one game I'll end up having to buy on two platforms because the thought of a portable version of it appeals to me quite a bit. Hopefully it has a pretty decent MLB Life mode like the console version.

There is no season mode and no MLB Life mode. There is single-card multiplayer but the DS version is pretty bare-bones otherwise which is a shame because this stuff is in the Japanese DS version.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #81
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Hitting 20/52 with 6 HRs and 18 RBIs at AAA with my version of Jay Bruce for the Reds. I've had 3 games with 2 HRs, one game included a 3-run bomb and a grandslam...in the first two innings !
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #82
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I've had to stop playing for a bit. I would start at 10PM and think, "I'll just play 10 games". Six hours and 80 games later I'd still be playing.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #83
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
There is no season mode and no MLB Life mode. There is single-card multiplayer but the DS version is pretty bare-bones otherwise which is a shame because this stuff is in the Japanese DS version.

That's disappointing. I guess I'll pass on it then.

A handheld version of Life mode would've kept me occupied for a long time.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #84
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've had to stop playing for a bit. I would start at 10PM and think, "I'll just play 10 games". Six hours and 80 games later I'd still be playing.

Hehe, I kind of did the same thing. I got to the end of my second season with several marathon sessions, and then thought "I better just put this down for a while."
Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #85
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
D'oh... just canceled my Amazon order for it.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #86
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Are there any benefits from hanging out with teammates to increase their friend rating? I usually go to dinner when they ask but maybe I should be training instead, I dunno...
Old 08-31-2008, 04:01 PM   #87
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I just got called up the 1st of May and I am struggling big time in my pinch hitting role, I find myself not being very patient at the plate. My guy has got the worst happiness status there is, not good.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:07 PM   #88
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
My guy has got the worst happiness status there is, not good.

FWIW as far as I can tell, you don't have any (or very little) control over your condition, it will always go all the way to the top and then all the way to the bottom, so it's not worth worrying about, if that's your concern...although it does effect your performance, so it IS worth noting before each game, just don't worry that you should be doing something to make it better.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-31-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #89
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Finally have this and am playing my MLB Life career. Was hitting okay but nothing to write home about (around .200), then changed my batting cursor to "Best Try" as they recommend on the screen (was at "None" or "Off" or "Normal" or whatever the first option was called). Now I've got some pop and am hitting ridiculously well. May have to play with the lock-on cursor options to find a middle ground, at least until I get my contact and power up.

My only real frustration at this point is with the base running in AAA. I've never tried to stretch a hit down the line into a double, and I've never had someone on 2nd score on a single or someone on 1st make it to third on any hit I've done. We'll see if this is just slow guys in AAA and improves when I make it to the majors, or if this is a general problem when I'm at-bat. Or if I'm missing an option.

I do miss seeing what the other guys do when I'm on base. I hate getting to 1st and then watching the scoreboard and not knowing when I steal, or someone knocks me in, or what. On the other hand, I can make it through a month's worth of games in one sitting, which is cool. And I'm having a ton of fun playing it, MUCH better than success mode in last year's version.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #90
Celeval
Pro Starter

Yeah... "Best Try", I think, gives you the full benefit of the center of the sweet spot if you get the bat on the ball at all, iirc. Something like that. Lock-On 1 seems to work well for me.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #91
MJ4H
Coordinator

Can anyone tell me about the DS version of this game? Considering getting it in the ToysRUs buy 2 get 1 free deal.

Specifically, are there league and career modes? How does it play, etc.?

Last edited by MJ4H : 10-16-2008 at 02:59 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #92
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I haven't played it, but I know that the Success Mode, MLB Life Mode, and Season Mode in the Wii/PS2 versions are not in the DS version.

However it's still your best bet for a DS baseball game in all likelihood. The 2ksports game is supposedly terrible.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #93
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well that sucks. I'm not really interested in a baseball game, just a game that is good enough that it doesn't matter that it's baseball. Sounds like a pass.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #94
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Regarding my earlier post, finally figured out that "up" on the D-Pad advances runners approaching a base, and "right" sends them back.

I'm late in my third season and doing pretty well, but I've hit some issues:

- My speed and bat control have both peaked. Do these maximums ever raise as you gain levels?

- How do you read more advanced books? I finally figured out using the Batting / Fielding / Running books, but once I completed the Beginner level of each I can't read the Intermediate, nor can I read the romance novel I bought. Do I have to keep trying? What do I have to work on to read them?

- How do I improve my trajectory? Get power up enough to start hitting home runs, or something else?

I'm playing on the Wii.

Last edited by gstelmack : 12-04-2008 at 11:37 AM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #95
Icy
Pro Starter

gstelmack, how good is it in the wii? does it take advantage of the controls so you feel like batting?

My wife caught my by surprise and told me that we could get a Wii for Christmas for some party games and four our kid, and if we do... i would love for myself a baseball RPG like the RTTS mode in the PS3, but where i actually need to bat (and that is not just an arcade like the baseball game in Wii sports).

Last edited by Icy : 12-04-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #96
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I really love batting (and in the MyLife mode, that's pretty much all you do on the field). Basically you use the nunchuk analog stick to place the bat where the ball is coming and use the A button to swing. There is a "sweet spot" cursor that gets bigger as your Bat Control skill does, and hitting in the sweet spot hits the ball harder. Dead center is a good solid hit, above or below leads to pop-ups or choppers, end of the bat is a tipped ball, near the handle is really weak. You can use the B button / trigger to switch to a "Big Swing" which shrinks the sweetspot to a small circle but gives a lot of power if you hit it on the nose.

There are some "lock-on" options that help make it easier to hit the ball with the sweetspot, but you can go with none at all if it gets too easy.

The ball doesn't usually end up where it initially says it will. Often there is some movement and you have to follow the ball as it curves or dips, and sometimes the pitcher screws up and it goes way off course. And pitchers are good at using the entire strikezone.

I'm batting just above .300, with 2 HRs in a full season, although my speedster is over 50 stolen bases. So I'm not dominating by any stretch (and I'm only on lock-on 1 which isn't much help).

So yes, it's pretty good, I'm having a lot of fun with it.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #97
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

We got a Wii and Power Pros 2008 for Christmas (woohoo!), but I am having a devil of a time figuring out how to access the lock-on option. I'm probably being dense and missing something right under my nose, but could some kind soul please provide me with some guidance here?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #98
gstelmack
Pro Starter

It's under Settings in MLB Life. What specific mode are you playing and I can go look for it the next time I boot it up?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #99
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Ah, that might be why I can't find it. I've started off playing in Success mode only so far (without getting past AA, but still having fun!). Perhaps that option isn't available in Success?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #100
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Power Pros Touch is now available for the iPhone (fictional teams - no MLB)
Power Pros Touch - Touch Arcade

Last edited by PadresFan104 : 07-16-2009 at 01:06 PM.
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote