Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2003, 10:42 PM   #51
KWhit
Coordinator

Possible Dola:

BTW, I thought Mulholland drive was scarier than the Ring. Different kind of scary, of course, but it totally freaked me out in a major way.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:56 PM   #52
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Possible Dola:

BTW, I thought Mulholland drive was scarier than the Ring. Different kind of scary, of course, but it totally freaked me out in a major way.

Yeah, it fucked with my head for days on end afterwards. Couldn't get it out. I wouldn't say scary so much as just wierded out.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:05 PM   #53
KWhit
Coordinator

Absolutely. But I still had trouble walking down the hall to my bedroom in the dark after it was over.

I always watch movies late-ish at night with all the lights out. When MD was over, I was pretty freaked, but I didn't want to turn on any lights. I didn't want to wake up Mrs. KWhit. I tell you, I SPRINTED to that damn bedroom. That movie twisted my brain all around.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:20 PM   #54
sabotai
General Manager

Mulholland Drive? I thought it sucked big hairy donkey balls...

well, except of course the hot lezbo scene. That one scene made the rental more than worth it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 05:08 AM   #55
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
Mulholland Drive? I thought it sucked big hairy donkey balls...

well, except of course the hot lezbo scene. That one scene made the rental more than worth it.

Say whaaaaa? Thems fightin words
Old 05-04-2003, 05:25 AM   #56
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Mulholland Drive was excellent. Though many think it sucked donkey balls. It's one of those you love it or hate it flicks.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 12:13 PM   #57
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos

SIGNS SPOILER BELOW! ALERT!

Signs was just too contrived, and the whole water thing was dumb to me. If you're an alien, and water kills you, you don't go to a planet that is 70% covered by it and where it rains a lot. Not to say the movie wasn't entertaining - I just thought the ending was lacking when he tied it all together.

That scene where the alien runs by the birthday party on home video was freaky though... I'll give 'em that.

Edited due to KWhit's suggestion.

I totally agree with you. I said the exact same thing to my girlfriend after we watched it, and she told me that I was ruining the movie. Im sorry, but it wasn't me who ruined the movie, it was the fact that these aliens who could travel across the galaxy couldn't figure out before they landed that the planet was loaded with a substance that was toxic to them. I still thought it was an interesting movie, but that part just made it totally onconvincing for me...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 07:21 PM   #58
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the water thing was half the problem. The other half was showing too much of the aliens. It was scarier when you could just see his claw/hand and when he quickly went by at the birthday party.

In the case of mosters/aliens, sometimes less is more.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:55 PM   #59
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Absolutely. But I still had trouble walking down the hall to my bedroom in the dark after it was over.

I always watch movies late-ish at night with all the lights out. When MD was over, I was pretty freaked, but I didn't want to turn on any lights. I didn't want to wake up Mrs. KWhit. I tell you, I SPRINTED to that damn bedroom. That movie twisted my brain all around.

lmao

thats great. in hindsight, thats funny, but in that exact moment i bet you were scarred as shit..
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:34 AM   #60
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
In the case of mosters/aliens, sometimes less is more.

This is true, especially so in The Ring. The split second shot of the dead girl in the closet still haunts me even after six months. If a movie focuses on something like that too long you can both get used to it and start to notice the fakeness. But just a quick flash can be oh so much scarier...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 05-05-2003 at 09:35 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:48 AM   #61
astralhaze
College Prospect

Well, I watched The Ring based on the comments on this thread, and I enjoyed it. I wasn't scared or freaked out by any means, but I thought it was a decent enough film. I am glad I read the FAQ first though, because they left a lot out. Having that knowledge going in let me get a more complete understanding of the plot than I would have. I checked out Ebert's review just a minute ago, and his major complaint was that it was far too difficult to understand, and I think he has a good point. If you haven't seen it yet, I would recomend that you read up on it before seeing it, which is unusual for me and I think is a sign of some bad filmmaking. If I had not read up on it, I think I would have thought it sucked.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:01 AM   #62
lytic
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
couriers,

Thanks for the site with the faq. Some good stuff in there that explains alot.

Session 9 freaked me out as well, good movie recommended by someone from here. I heard Frailty is good too, I think it's next up on my list.

Todd

Session 9 was filmed in my hometown of Danvers, Mass. They have reopened that building for tours now... I'm going back on vacation next week and hope to get a peek.

As for the ring... I had seen it once before I was it with my wife. So I had my cell phone pre-programmed for the house number for when the movie was over... she hated me for about a day after that.
Hattrick Moderator (since Season 22)
Evil Gargs' Hater (since Season 18)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
My Pro Soccer Story
lytic is offline   Reply With Quote