Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2006, 10:11 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Game 10 is brewing as a potential shocker: Upstart Peachtree Ridge just took a 10-7 lead over Warner Robins with 10 minutes left in regulation.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:30 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

updating Game 10: Former UGA/Bears star Kevin Butler's son Drew just knocked down another FG, it's 13-7 Peachtree Ridge with 2:30 left to play.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And Game 10 is final: Peachtree Ridge, in just the fourth year of the school's existence, advances to the championship game with a 13-7 upset of Warner Robins.

10 games in just under 36 hours. Whew. But whatta great weekend of football it is.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The state championship games for next week are now set:

CLASS A
Clinch County (12-2) at Lincoln County (13-1)
6 p.m. Saturday

CLASS AA
Charlton County (14-0) at Dublin (14-0)
4 p.m. Saturday

CLASS AAA
Shaw (12-2) at Peach County (13-1)
3 p.m. Saturday

CLASS AAAA
Marist (13-1) at Northside-Warner Robins (14-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday

CLASS AAAAA
Roswell (13-1) vs. Peachtree Ridge (11-3)
7:30 p.m. Saturday

The AAAA & AAAAA games will be televised by public television & will be streamed live at www.gpb.org
Old 12-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

BTW, Lincoln County's 6'5" QB Brandon Barden has committed to Va Tech as a TE.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:51 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Class AAAA Championship game: In the only game playing tonight, Northside-Warner Robins leads Marist 9-6 at the half. NS-WR took an early 3-0 lead, trailed 6-3 after a pair of Marist FG's, regained the lead on a long TD pass. Marist then missed a FG from 40+ as the half expired.

Meanwhile, Class A finalist Clinch County has suspended their senior starting QB for basically "conduct unbecoming". They'll go with a freshman tomorrow night when they take on Lincoln County.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:00 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Class AAAA is final. Northside-Warner Robins (15-0) claims their first state championship with a 30-6 demolition of Marist. Jr. RB Tijuan Green rushed for 240 yards & 2 TD's and added another TD on a 29 yd reception.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:29 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Class A -- Lincoln County does it again, holding on for a 21-14 win over Clinch County. 14th state title for the school, 11th for Coach Larry Campbell.

Class AA -- Co-champions, as Charlton County (14-0-1) rallied in the second half to manage a 13-13 tie at Dublin (14-0-1). Under GHSA rules, the state championship game does not extend into overtime, instead recognizing the teams as co-champions if they are tied at the end of regulation. Charlton had a chance to win with a TD with 7:30 left to play, but the Irish managed to deflect the PAT.

Class AAA -- Peach County (14-1) goes back-to-back with a 28-7 win over visiting Shaw. Peach rolled up 437 yards total offense while holding their visitors from Columbus to just 150.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Class AAAAA -- After being pinned inside their own 10 yard line with just :22 seconds to play, Roswell (13-1-1) opts to take a knee and take a share of the state title through a 14-14 tie with Peachtree Ridge (11-3-1). The upstart Ridge, in only their 4th season of play, tied the with a 2 point conversion earlier in the 4th quarter.

WIthout checking the record book, I believe this is the first time in state history that there have been two championship games end in a tie in a single season. Almost certainly this will increase the call for changes to the no-overtime rule governing title games, which had already become controversial with a tie 2-3 season ago.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In case you were wondering, the co-champions situation had only ocurred 4 times in Georgia from 1947 to 2003 (1956, 1958, 1978, 1991). Since then, it happened in Class A in 2004 and now twice tonight.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And just to add to the trivia, by virtue of their tie tonight, Roswell & Peachtree Ridge become the first teams from Metro Atlanta to win a state title since Marist & Buford won back in 2003.