Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #51
Bad-example
College Starter

Nice pick at 6 for the Giants. Weaver sounds like a strong talent and signable as well.

Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #52
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Everyone is shitting on the Braves.

I don't follow amateur baseball much at all, what is wrong with Minor?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #53
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I don't follow amateur baseball much at all, what is wrong with Minor?

The criticism I've seen is his ceiling is #4 starter.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #54
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

LOL. They just interviewed Tyler Matzek on MLB Network and asked him if he was going to miss hitting. He says, "well Oregon is going to give me the chance to compete at 1B when I'm not pitching. We'll see what Colorado has to say about that."
Old 06-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #55
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The criticism I've seen is his ceiling is #4 starter.

Sounds bad.

mlb.com said the kid throws 92 and might be maxed out.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #56
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kansas Shitty took Crow. This should be a fun story to follow.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #57
Butter
Coordinator

Cautiously pleased with the Reds pick of Leake from Ariz. State. Solid player, not a tremendous upside, but also already pretty polished and could move fast through the minors. Hopefully not another Ryan Wagner.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #58
Butter
Coordinator

Will be interesting to see if anyone opts for Scheppers in the supplemental portion of the 1st round.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #59
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
LOL. They just interviewed Tyler Matzek on MLB Network and asked him if he was going to miss hitting. He says, "well Oregon is going to give me the chance to compete at 1B when I'm not pitching. We'll see what Colorado has to say about that."

Sounds like Colorado will be having a #12 pick again next year
Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #60
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Will be interesting to see if anyone opts for Scheppers in the supplemental portion of the 1st round.

I'd have to imagine someone will bite.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #61
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Sounds like Colorado will be having a #12 pick again next year

I'm torn on the compensation picks at the same position the next year. On one hand, the draftees do have the teams over a barrel (especially with Boras seemingly representing everyone in the top 15) at least until some kind of slotting is put in.

On the other hand, how freaking hard is it to figure out whether or not a kid is going to sign with you or not? Clearly this guy was never going to sign, why should Colorado be "rewarded" next year in a draft that might be deeper and with a much better pick?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How good was Danny Goodwin to go number 1 twice? He must have been a beast. His pro career wasn't that great IIRC.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #63
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cautiously pleased with the Reds pick of Leake from Ariz. State. Solid player, not a tremendous upside, but also already pretty polished and could move fast through the minors. Hopefully not another Ryan Wagner.

3 pitches. Plus command. Wanted both out of HS and now by the As.

Seems like pretty good potential for the #3 behind Cueto and Voltron.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #64
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

2 teammates from North/South All-Star game have been picked in the first 38 picks.. So weird. (Josh Phegley and Kyle Gibson)
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #65
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

TONY SANCHEZ FROM BC GOES #4 TO THE PIRATES!!!

BOOYA!!!! HOW BOUT THAT BITCHES!!!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #66
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, word is the Pirates are going to take C Tony Sanchez from BC, which would be another overdraft for them. Rumor has it they want to save money and put it towards an international player by the name of Miguel Angel Sano. Somewhere Daniel Moskos is cringing.

overdraft?

sanchez's hitting is coming on quite well (he hit like .370 this year), and defensively and as a batterymate he's apparently already MLB-ready.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #67
Logan
Head Coach

So I didn't realize that Strasburg wasn't even drafted coming out of HS. Does that concern anyone? Was he from a town that couldn't field a team? What was his fastball clocked at before he got to SDSU?

Last edited by Logan : 06-09-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #68
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
So I didn't realize that Strasburg wasn't even drafted coming out of HS. Does that concern anyone? Was he from a town that couldn't field a team? What was his fastball clocked at before he got to SDSU?

roids?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #69
Logan
Head Coach

I'm waiting to see if there is a documented reason before fully jumping to a conclusion like that.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #70
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

He wasn't drafted because he was fat and out of shape, basically. Fastball ran in the mid to high 80s.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #71
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
roids?
Taco Bell. (He weighed 270, couldn't run a single wind sprint and topped out low-90's.)

Sox pick Fuentes from PR. Johnny Damon-ceiling. Not great, but after the signability picks other than Scheppers did not fall, not a bad choice. Hopefully we get Stassi 2nd round. And Sanchez was an overdraft.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #72
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
overdraft?

sanchez's hitting is coming on quite well (he hit like .370 this year), and defensively and as a batterymate he's apparently already MLB-ready.

Yeah, overdraft. He was a late first/supplemental round talent by just about everyone's estimation. He was drafted because he was going to be a quick/cheap sign.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #73
Logan
Head Coach

I've never heard "overdraft" outside of banking.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #74
Schmidty
Coordinator

From what I'm reading, I really like the Tigers 2nd round pick - Andrew Oliver.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #75
Thomkal
Head Coach

well watched through the Cards 1st round pick on the MLB channel and its pretty clear baseball doesn't get the excitement the draft can bring to its fans. A pretty cheezy small studio setting where everyone in the room can hear the analysts, and until some fans started clapping (poliitely) after a pick was announced, I didn't even know there were any fans in the studio. Plus Bud Selig just needs to retire right now and get someone young in there to rejuvenate things. The whole setup just seemed awkward to me.

Was disappointed my Cards took a high school pitcher, they certainly need pitching help, but I was hoping they would go with a more polished ready to go college guy. Anybody know anything about the guy they drafted outside of what they said during the coverage?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #76
Swaggs
Coordinator

Not too much you can do with the draft. Almost all of the players are several years away from playing in the major leagues and most will never make it past AAA. The players just do not have the immediate impact on the franchise like they do in the NBA or NFL (or even the NHL).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #77
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

The studio guys didn't say one word about that. Looks like Colorado just wasted a pick. Rather, I forgot about the compensatory pick rule...they just traded a pick for next year's draft. Might be a good strategy.

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-09-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #78
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

The people who get into the draft are the ones that are really into player/organizational development. There are many out there who are really into observing that aspect of the sport. That is something that baseball offers that the other major sports do not (hockey comes closest in terms of player development, but very few players climb from the bottom of the minors to the top and have a major impact).
Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #79
Atocep
Coordinator

MLB network really didn't impress with their broadcast. The studio was set up to where the team reps could hear the analysts, which pretty much assured there would be no criticizing the picks. Listening to how great each pick is gets really old after awhile.

They need to either allow their product to be analyzed or just go back to not showing it at all.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #80
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
MLB network really didn't impress with their broadcast. The studio was set up to where the team reps could hear the analysts, which pretty much assured there would be no criticizing the picks. Listening to how great each pick is gets really old after awhile.

They need to either allow their product to be analyzed or just go back to not showing it at all.

Did the NFL Network cover their draft? It has been a while since I had the channel, so I don't remember what all of their coverage at the actual draft was like. I like to see people react with things like, "That was totally off the board." Not calling any scouts/GMs out as idiots, but reflecting at least that nobody expected that player to go that high.

At least they did talk about "signability" as a reason for some of the picks, which may be getting close to the line for some.

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-09-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #81
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
Did the NFL Network cover their draft? It has been a while since I had the channel, so I don't remember what all of their coverage at the actual draft was like. I like to see people react with things like, "That was totally off the board." Not calling any scouts/GMs out as idiots, but reflecting at least that nobody expected that player to go that high.

At least they did talk about "signability" as a reason for some of the picks, which may be getting close to the line for some.

Yes, the NFL Network covered their draft and their analysis was top notch.

As conservative as MLB is and with the ridiculousness of the unofficial slotting system that Selig has in place there's little chance that they'll actually let the analysts criticize anything a team does. Selig would rather see the Pirates draft a guy because he's signable than take a guy that's going to ask for more than Bud thinks the #4 pick should get.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #82
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think the Nats will get something done. But it is probably going to boggle the mind. At least 15 to 20 guaranteed with a potential 6 year value in the 40M range at the minimum. It also wouldn't suprise me to see less overall money but some sort of escape clause where the Nationals end up not being able to tender arbitration after his 3rd season. Basically if he's good he will be hitting FA and a real deal very quickly.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pirates management was adamant that Sanchez was the third player on their board. If their opinion was that many of the guys were similar enough and it didn't make sense to throw a ton more at another player I can see it. But I'm really reserving judgement on it.

I can live with a scouting influenced financial decision moreso than merely a money one.

Last edited by stevew : 06-09-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #84
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Given how many sabermetric geeks + fans who have blogs that focus on their team's every move...there's no way you couldn't make the draft more interesting.

It ought to be like EPL FanZone, only without the screaming and inaudible rantings.

There are people out there who know these prospects and who have scouted/seen them, all the way through the random rounds. It's just MLB Network is unlikely to be the source. No trades coupled with a draft that goes on for 50 rounds (I sure do miss the draft that never ends...) means that they've done about as much as they can do with it, with that regime they have now.

I don't want to see the players have to come to New York or anything. I think just more opp. research on the guys would be good, coupled with the ability to actually trade. This whole "I won't sign, screw you because you won't pay me enough," thing is strange.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-09-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #85
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My post on the draft thread at Royals Review: "Matzek seems like a smug, coached prick. Must be a Boras client."

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #86
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nice pick, Kansas City. Well done.

My snap thought on that: " Why do I have this Hochevar feel all over again…"

(elaboration "He's not bad but it’s a lot of extra baggage we could have escaped from. He’s old, smacks a little of signability, and he just spent the last year in a substandard development phase" plus when Billy Beane takes who everyone else wanted right after you, it really just feels like we took Hochevar over Andrew Miller again)

SI

Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #87
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I love what we did in the 3rd round, getting Will Myers. There were whispers of us taking him at 12 but he fell due to signability so we took a shot in 3, similar to the Melville pick last year. BA has him the #31 talent and BP the #34. It's one market inefficiency Moore has made work for him.

SI

Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #88
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I wanted Matzek over Wheeler, but if there's a pitcher than the Giants scouts and the Braves scouts are going ga-ga over, I'm going to trust them given the track record (now hitters, are somewhat different).
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #89
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
My post on the draft thread at Royals Review: "Matzek seems like a smug, coached prick. Must be a Boras client."

SI

Once again, why the hell should he say otherwise? He has a price, and if they aren't willing to pay him, they shouldn't take him.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #90
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The antithesis actually - I think Leake will not be a star, but his numbers are pretty damn amazing. He's a short-righthander and while not everyone of those is Tim Lincecum, I think Leake will be a solid #3 type for the Reds. In my mind, one of the safest bets around.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #91
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Its actually weird, because I think baseball is the most "talent" level sport, and the least "athletic" in skills required, so good talent can take a while to develop. Out of high school, Stratsburg was about 50-60 lbs heavier, and was throwing only in the hgh 80's, touching 90. Also keep in mind, if you're a high school who's considered a strong commit (aka a Stanford or a Vanderbilt), you're going to be ignored in the draft ;they know that unless they're giving you top 2-3 rounds money, you're better of going to college.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #92
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
My snap thought on that: " Why do I have this Hochevar feel all over again…"

(elaboration "He's not bad but it’s a lot of extra baggage we could have escaped from. He’s old, smacks a little of signability, and he just spent the last year in a substandard development phase" plus when Billy Beane takes who everyone else wanted right after you, it really just feels like we took Hochevar over Andrew Miller again)

SI

I'd rather have Crow than Green, personally. Crow's stuff is NASTY, he's a local product, should move very quickly. Green's production tailed off this year, and scouts are torn on whether or not he will be able to stay at SS. If he has to move to third, he'll lose a fair amount of his value since he isn't a power guy.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #93
gstelmack
Pro Starter

FOFC has a new favorite baseball player whose career absolutely needs to be tracked with his own thread each season:

25. Los Angeles Angels -- Mike Trout, CF, Millville (N.J.) HS
Old 06-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #94
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Crow is a good pick for KC. He has no leverage so if he doesn't sign, he's an idiot. The biggest concern with him is his delivery screams of elbow problems eventually.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #95
Atocep
Coordinator

The Angels take Jake Locker in the 10th round and are expected to push hard for him to give up football.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #96
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
FOFC has a new favorite baseball player whose career absolutely needs to be tracked with his own thread each season:

25. Los Angeles Angels -- Mike Trout, CF, Millville (N.J.) HS

I'm embarrassed to admit this since I've been here so long, but I can't quite remember who started the trout thing. Was it satchmo? That's what comes to mind, but I can't be sure.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #97
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Anybody here know anything about Forrest Garrett, LHP, out of Norcross HS? I thought he was considered a decent enough prospect to have gone in the draft by now, but looks like he hasn't. They had a video of him throwing at MLB.com prior to the draft.

The best I can figure is that he is definitely intending to attend LSU, and nobody has been willing to take a flier on him yet.

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-10-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #98
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm excited about the White Sox draft through the first few rounds. Jared Mitchell's speed is going to be very, -very- welcome.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #99
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So Strasburg is saying the Nats have not offered him a deal yet beyond the standard Minor League deal all teams must offer. I know the Nats have a month or so left, but how can this franchise already wait over a month without offering a deal? Just seems incompetent.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #100
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Their strategy might be to offer a lot at the last minute, to not allow Boras to play the negotiating game.

Edit: That's what the Red Sox did with Dice-K, and you could argue Boras got a lot less than he wanted. You could also argue that the Red Sox had a lot more leverage than the Natinals do.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 07-15-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote