Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #51
st.cronin
General Manager

It would be awesome if the Knicks went empty cupboard, and just cut everybody.

knives out

st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #52
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Fred Jones is tradeable?
They could trade him for a kid to help mop up the floor during timeouts.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #53
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Spike Lee...there the Knicks' head coaching problems are solved.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #54
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
So, basically, you would trade all of the players who are any good on the team to add one more piece to the collection of crappy players that you have to hold on to. I just don't see how that would be successful. They'd possibly be able to add an Allen-type player (ie a complimentary piece), but to me that's just digging the hole further.

I am not sure what I would do. The first thing I would do is find them someone they can build around. They dont have a player to build around. They have 2 guys I wouldnt want on my team period(Zack Randolph and Eddy Curry). Out of the 3 guys I was giving up in my trade the only one I would want on my team would be Lee, so in my eyes I wasnt giving up much. Robinson(score first pg, that is too short to play D) and Crawford(SG, with a lousy Shooting %) arent the guys you want on a team with many weaknesses. Im not saying I could turn the team into an instant title contender, I do think they could so some things to get them around the 40-45 win mark without mortgaging anymore of the future.

Some sucker might bite on Randolph, give him up for a couple expiring contracts and if you get a draft choice in it, thats a real good trade

Being still pretty young and playing the Center position, Curry might also be tradable. Might be a good fit for the Mavs...(Curry & ----- for Josh Howard)...if Howard is too much to get just find the best deal you can get to get his contract off the books ASAP.

I believe the 22 mil Marbury makes will be gone after this upcoming season.

My point was Make a decision... Give up on this year, trade anyone with value for expiring contracts and start over... Or find some younger players not making much with potential and get rid of these overpaid clowns that they wont be able to win with.

It would be tough to accomplish this but by know means is it impossible to work out of. The Celtics last year had Piece, Jefferson a 1st round pick and a bunch of guys the Knicks currently have. They were able to turn that into the best record in the NBA. Anything is possible.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-08-2008 at 01:57 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #55
MikeVic
Head Coach

No one wants Curry or Randolph, unless they take back an even bigger salary and crappier player.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #56
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No one wants Curry or Randolph, unless they take back an even bigger salary and crappier player.

We know this that doesnt mean other GM's do I still think Curry has small value..
Old 05-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #57
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Do you mean in the US, or globally? Globally, I could argue at least a half-dozen soccer clubs are more valuable. However, in US-base sports leagues, I wouldn't argue with that (maybe tie with the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins).

I don't know any New York fans unless they have some sort of connection with the city. However, I know a lot of regular Laker fans without any sort of connection.

Sadly enough I think the Yankees are #1, followed by Cowboys then probably Lakers US speaking. Red Sox, Redskins are likely pretty high up there as well
Old 05-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #58
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Fred Jones is tradeable?

I think Isiah Thomas proved that ANYONE is tradable.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #59
Anthony
Banned

i could see Curry for Howard as the main pieces of a deal. that really works. Mavs aren't sold on Eric Dampier as their center, considering he was brought in due to Avery Johnson.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #60
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I think Isiah Thomas proved that ANYONE is tradable.

Thats only if Isiah Thomas gets another GM job.

So basically the Knicks only hope if for someone to hire Isiah so they can trade all their crappy players back to him.

Last edited by Rich1033 : 05-08-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #61
Groundhog
Coordinator

Knicks have zero tradeable assets that could bring back anything of value.

Like I said, they have one and only one option; sit on their hands and wait a few years so they can start fresh.

With guys like Lee, Balkman, re-sign them if you can get them cheap, if not, let them walk. They are just role players (albeit decent ones), but you don't want to let them get in the way of bringing on some talent via FA.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looking at thier roster, they have about 4-5 "winning" type guys that I could use in a rotation.

Crawford-Would be a great 6th man, but not an ideal starter
Lee-Either as a starter or first big off the bench
Chandler-solid bench depth
Balkman-good intangibles player, 9th man type.
Jeffries-way overpaid, but he'd be an okay bench rotation player. 10mpg

So, ideally they need 4-5 "better" guys, and I really don't see it happening anytime soon. For their sake, they need to get either Rose or Beasley out of this draft.

Curry, Randolph, Starbury, Richardson, et al are all part of the problem, and need to go. Ideally Starbury should be pretty tradeable this season, but in the long run they may as well let him expire. Or offer him like 19 of his 22m to walk away before the season starts, and not poison the team.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #63
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Knicks have zero tradeable assets that could bring back anything of value.

Like I said, they have one and only one option; sit on their hands and wait a few years so they can start fresh.

With guys like Lee, Balkman, re-sign them if you can get them cheap, if not, let them walk. They are just role players (albeit decent ones), but you don't want to let them get in the way of bringing on some talent via FA.

yep i said this 2 years ago. they were years away from even begining rebuilding Thomas ruined that franchise so badly. what they want to do more than anything is stay waaaaayyyy under tha cap the years Lebron, Wade and Paul become free agents.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #64
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I'm pretty sure that D'Antoni is using the Knicks as leverage to get more out of the Bulls. I can't see why he'd want the headache that is the Knicks for the next two or three years.

If I had more money, honey!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #65
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Anyone who takes Curry on their squad isn't qualified to run a YMCA team.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #66
Anthony
Banned

they're better off keeping Marbury. at some point these bad contracts need to come off the books. $22million coming off the books *this* season is huge. he's worth more on the team than off it. and it's not like he's chopped liver, he's still a solid PG.

Curry still has trade value - he's young and big. just needs a smaller market. people wanted to make him a vocal leader in the mold of Ewing but that's not his style. and it was also a bad idea to try to run the offense through him. he just needs to be one of those guys who gets a huge bulk of his pts off of put-backs. offensively he's better than Ben Wallace ever was. Curry should be kept - even if only to eventually get his contract off the books, Randolph needs to go. and Crawford should be a 6th man on the Knicks, he's too small to be a viable starting SG. i want Quentin Richardson to contract the AIDS virus.

Last edited by Anthony : 05-09-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 AM   #67
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
they're better off keeping Marbury. at some point these bad contracts need to come off the books. $22million coming off the books *this* season is huge. he's worth more on the team than off it. and it's not like he's chopped liver, he's still a solid PG.

Curry still has trade value - he's young and big. just needs a smaller market. people wanted to make him a vocal leader in the mold of Ewing but that's not his style. and it was also a bad idea to try to run the offense through him. he just needs to be one of those guys who gets a huge bulk of his pts off of put-backs. offensively he's better than Ben Wallace ever was. Curry should be kept - even if only to eventually get his contract off the books, Randolph needs to go. and Crawford should be a 6th man on the Knicks, he's too small to be a viable starting SG. i want Quentin Richardson to contract the AIDS virus.

I think you've completely lost it.

Man, talk about drinking some kool aid. Curry and Marbury are two of the most useless players in the league. To even suggest either one has any basketball value is ponderous. Financially maybe you have reasons to keep them but basketball wise the reason you keep them is to win 23 games a year.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #68
Anthony
Banned

dude, i'm just saying. they're not winning any championships this year. so if you know that going in, there's no incentive to shoot for the stars. that's when you wind up getting the #15 or #18 overall pick - good enough to not have a top 10 pick, bad enough to miss out on the playoffs. the only upside is at least you get a HUGE chunk of change coming off the books in Marbury, who, let's face it, is very solid offensively. not a viable PG, but the guy can score. Curry is a decent big man. not a rock you'd build your franchise on, but with Shaq gone Curry is one of the few viable big men in the East. Knicks gave up too much for him to just send him packing. they lost out on a lottery pick for this man, might as well make it worthwhile.

here's even better news:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher, quoting a source close to D'Antoni, reported on SportsCenter early Friday that D'Antoni is leaning toward taking the New York job.

It was widely assumed -- even by the Knicks to some degree -- that New York's emergence as a rival to Chicago was pursued by the D'Antoni camp strictly to get the Bulls to make a more substantial bid. That perception is changing. The word Thursday night in NBA coaching circles suggested that D'Antoni is ready to team up with Walsh if his talks with the Bulls dissolve.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #69
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
dude, i'm just saying. they're not winning any championships this year. so if you know that going in, there's no incentive to shoot for the stars. that's when you wind up getting the #15 or #18 overall pick - good enough to not have a top 10 pick, bad enough to miss out on the playoffs. the only upside is at least you get a HUGE chunk of change coming off the books in Marbury, who, let's face it, is very solid offensively. not a viable PG, but the guy can score. Curry is a decent big man. not a rock you'd build your franchise on, but with Shaq gone Curry is one of the few viable big men in the East. Knicks gave up too much for him to just send him packing. they lost out on a lottery pick for this man, might as well make it worthwhile.

here's even better news:

I'm with you until the bolded part.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #70
Anthony
Banned

who's to say D'Antoni wasn't using the *Bulls* to get the Knicks to dip into their deep pockets? Knicks play on the biggest stage in the league, countless endorsement opportunities can really augment any healthy contract you get. what really can the Bulls offer - a slightly better chance than the Knicks of reaching the playoffs just to lose to the Cavs or Celtics for the next 3 years? smaller market (by comparison), and the same amount of superstars as the Knicks (zero).
Old 05-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #71
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I haven't followed the Marbury garbage for a while. Is he even willing to play another game for the Knicks?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #72
Galaxy
Coordinator

Remember, you have to find "equal" trade value (in terms of making the contract numbers work) in the NBA. The Knicks don't offer value in that department for any team to make it work.

On another note, here's an interesting "state of the team" blog by Mark Cuban: http://www.blogmaverick.com/2008/05/02/talking-mavs/

Last edited by Galaxy : 05-09-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #73
Anthony
Banned

YESSSSS!!!

D'Antoni accepts Knicks' offer.

i'm friggin happy now. everything is gonna be all right.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #74
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Eddy Curry will love this. Now he isn't even required to try and play defense.

HA, D'Antoni will not win you a title. His teams don't play that kind of ball. You'll play exciting games though.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #75
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

d'antoni doesn't have the pieces to play his style of ball in NY either
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #76
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Knicks will do whatever they can now to try and draft Derek Rose. I'd watch the Knicks vs Nuggets though to see a 175-170 game.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #77
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
d'antoni doesn't have the pieces to play his style of ball in NY either

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Eddy Curry will love this. Now he isn't even required to try and play defense.

HA, D'Antoni will not win you a title. His teams don't play that kind of ball. You'll play exciting games though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
The Knicks will do whatever they can now to try and draft Derek Rose. I'd watch the Knicks vs Nuggets though to see a 175-170 game.

Agreed with all of this. I can't believe he chose NY, but I don't see it being a good fit unless he is willing to tolerate losing for at least 2 years and has been given assurances by management that his losing will be tolerated for 2 years. This team isn't getting turned around any quicker than that. I wonder if it was just the money, or if it was the NY scene that got him.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #78
Logan
Head Coach

He goes from a team with the PG perfectly suited for his offense to a team that doesn't have a PG suitable for a JV squad in the suburbs.

I'm not confident that he'll get the pieces to turn it around, but what it should do is encourage cheap players to come play for him as the team goes through their (hopeful) purge.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #79
hoopsguy
General Manager

As a Bulls fan, I was nervous about the amount of money they were talking about with D'Antoni. I think that Nash made him more than he made Nash over the last few years. Time will tell, I guess ... I just didn't consider D'Antoni to a knock-out hire. Great record the last few years, fun style of basketball, but a lot of money to pay for a guy whose style hasn't won playoff basketball.

I don't think the Bulls roster was any better suited to winning quickly - under D'Antoni - than the Knicks. Kirk Hinrich leading that offense? No way in hell. They are shipping out Duhon, who was the most legitimate PG in terms of running an offense. Gordon and Hughes aren't exactly guys that move the ball freely, although they'll both be more than happy to shoot it quickly.

I don't see a lot of pieces on the Bulls roster that scream "starter on a title contender". Deng fits that category, maybe Gooden as your 4th/5th best starter. Nocioni as a bench player (7th man?) and perhaps Gordon as a 6th man, but he doesn't want that role or that money. Hinrich isn't getting paid like a 6th man, but doesn't play like a starter on a good team at either guard spot.

Guess I've hijacked the thread with "Depressed (Complaints of a Bulls Fan)".
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #80
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
As a Bulls fan, I was nervous about the amount of money they were talking about with D'Antoni. I think that Nash made him more than he made Nash over the last few years. Time will tell, I guess ... I just didn't consider D'Antoni to a knock-out hire. Great record the last few years, fun style of basketball, but a lot of money to pay for a guy whose style hasn't won playoff basketball.

The good thing for the Knicks is that this is roughly a 50% discount from what their coach cost them last year. You know, because of a $12 million sexual harassment settlement. So we have that going for us, which is nice.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #81
Izulde
Head Coach

Every time I see a thread like this, I get the urge to start a DDS:PB dynasty with the Knicks roster.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #82
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

D'Antoni is a surprise hire. I'm guessing he was just a 'proven' pick and that they really wanted Mark Jackson, but didn't want him to get booed out of town. I doubt D'Antoni lasts the full length of the deal and his style will have to be tweaked, as the guys he has aren't team players, aren't horses and I doubt they'll really light up the Garden.

But I'm sure the bright lights of the city attracted him and rightfully so, I guess.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The good thing for the Knicks is that this is roughly a 50% discount from what their coach cost them last year. You know, because of a $12 million sexual harassment settlement. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

Don't forget the 6-10 million they are paying brown not to coach.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #84
Groundhog
Coordinator

If I had a choice between Bulls and Knicks, I know who I would have picked. Wow.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #85
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
If I had a choice between Bulls and Knicks, I know who I would have picked. Wow.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #86
MrBug708
Head Coach

I figured D'Antoni left because the Suns didn't really want him there anymore
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #87
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I figured D'Antoni left because the Suns didn't really want him there anymore

I believe that is the case as well. The question is why the Knicks? I don't think that this is that bad of a move. First there is the money part. Becoming the 3rd highest paid head coach in the league without even making it to the NBA finals would be pretty hard to turn down. Second, this is an opportunity for D'Antoni to prove himself as a coach. Obviously, the Knicks roster as currently constructed does not fit the style that he showed in Phoenix. But talent-wise I still (naively?) believe that this team has the talent to be an eighth seed in the East. Does he have the ability to adjust to the talent that he has or does he just coach one style of play? Finally, after the Isiah era, I think the Knicks and their fanbase will be more patient than the Bulls and their fanbase would have been with D'Antoni. The Bulls were a "team of the future" before last season. I think the short term expectations would have been much higher with the Bulls. I think D'Antoni would have been expected to be turn them into the Suns next season. With the Knicks, most rational people know this is at least a two year rebuilding process. The question is how many of those rational people are Knicks fans
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #88
Anthony
Banned

he's the 1st legitimate coach since Pat Riley, we haven't had that big, sexy hire since him. he instantly becomes one of the better coaches in the East. at least now the Knicks have that going for them. D'Antoni won the Italian League championship twice, so he's a proven winner (ok, not on the NBA level, but he's won). when you got a team that wasn't good offensively OR defensively, i don't think you can make an arguement "D'Antoni will have the Knicks scoring a lot but they won't be playing defense or rebounding at all" - i rather a team that excels at one thing than a team that can't do either. Knicks aren't gonna be winning any championships, but if you followed a team based on if it could win a championship then you'd really only have 4 or 5 teams to focus on. the point isn't to win a championship (that's the icing on the cake), the point is to put an entertaining product on the court that people want to pay money to see. if you offered someone tickets to go see a game i don't think you'll ever overhear someone say "i'll pass, while the team may be really fun to watch i just don't think they're gonna win a championship this year so what's the point in following them?".

it wasn't too long ago the Warriors were a laughing stock in the league, one Don Nelson (who, btw, is another offensive guru just like the guy the Knicks hired ) and a rejuvenated Baron Davis later and all of a sudden the Warriors are a fun team to watch and can do damage in the playoffs (when they make the playoffs). Knicks aren't that far away from where the Warriors were 2 seasons ago. Baron Davis was considered to have been exiled to the Warriors, on the way to having a washed up career. now all of a sudden he's a difference maker. Knicks are in the same boat as the Warriors were, at least the Knicks are now pointing the boat in the right direction. D'Antoni is the 1st step.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #89
Groundhog
Coordinator

You could put Red Auerbach on the Knicks bench with Phil Jackson and Pat Riley as assistants and the Knicks would struggle for the eighth seed in the East.

It's at least a 3-year rebuilding process the way I see it - better to let Mark Jackson/random college coach or current assistant coach handle the coaching duties during that patch and then bring in a big name when you've got cap room and some young lottery talent to work with.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #90
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
it wasn't too long ago the Warriors were a laughing stock in the league, one Don Nelson (who, btw, is another offensive guru just like the guy the Knicks hired ) and a rejuvenated Baron Davis later and all of a sudden the Warriors are a fun team to watch and can do damage in the playoffs (when they make the playoffs). Knicks aren't that far away from where the Warriors were 2 seasons ago. Baron Davis was considered to have been exiled to the Warriors, on the way to having a washed up career. now all of a sudden he's a difference maker. Knicks are in the same boat as the Warriors were, at least the Knicks are now pointing the boat in the right direction. D'Antoni is the 1st step.

The Warriors made a trade that, even when it happened, seemed unbelievable. I doubt the Knicks will find their own personal "Indiana" - not with the guys they have. The guys the Warriors got rid of were just overpaid, and they didn't have nearly the kind of baggage that the Knicks players do.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #91
Anthony
Banned

if they would've hired Mark Jackson and the Knicks inevitably faltered, everyone would've said "well, Jackson is learning on the job, its to be expected". now if the Knicks start to stink up the joint i think you'll hear more of "well, it certainly isn't the coach, so it must be [insert shitty Knicks player here". at least D'Antoni has a proven system, what the hell was Jackson gonna be doing. is he a defense-oriented coach? is he an x's and o's coach? does he design great offenses? no one knows what Jackson would've brought to the table other than a fresh face.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #92
NYFAN
High School JV

A few thoughts:

D'Antoni will give New York an exciting brand of basketball, during a time when it will be impossible to win. This will at least keep the crowd excited, and into games. Not many teams are really designed to just run and gun, so with a few smart acquisitions the Knicks can potentially score a few upsets just by running; a lot.

D'Antoni gives the Knicks a recognizable, reputable face to the organization. This will allow them to attract free agents for less than market value (opportunity to play in a fun style, and earn a boat load in endorsements), and also keeps the fans at bay for a period of time while we deal with the "rebuilding".

NY Fans have been BEGGING to start from scratch. The vast majority of fans will *tolerate* losing for 2-3 years as long as they don't see us taking on additional contracts, trading away picks etc... and making smart decisions in the draft, free agency, and trading opportunities.

Walsh is too smart to do this right now, but don't be shocked to see Mark Jackson on the bench as an assistant in 2-3 years. D'Antoni is the face that Walsh wants now, but I think Jackson (or a proven playoff coach) is what Walsh will want down the line. It would not shock me to see Jackson end up as an assistant for D'Antoni (or maybe another team, with a recommendation from Walsh) and in 5 years sitting on the Knicks bench bringing in the big pay check.

D'Antoni is an international guy at heart (spent a looong time in Europe), and NY is one of the most diverse cities in the world. It's arguably the biggest, most demanding sports market (as a whole) in the world. Combine that with Donnie Walsh, one of the most respected and liked executives in the NBA, and you have a pretty positive situation. When you add to the fact that NOBODY expects you to win, and you are GUARANTEED $24+ million, you have a deal that is pretty hard to pass on.

"It was me against the world, but it made me strong" -Sprewell
NYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #93
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
he's the 1st legitimate coach since Pat Riley, we haven't had that big, sexy hire since him. he instantly becomes one of the better coaches in the East.

Very short term memory. Larry Brown is a vagabond, but he is also one of the most winning coaches in the NBA who has improved every team but the Knicks and is certainly a legitimate coach.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #94
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFAN View Post
D'Antoni will give New York an exciting brand of basketball, during a time when it will be impossible to win. This will at least keep the crowd excited, and into games. Not many teams are really designed to just run and gun, so with a few smart acquisitions the Knicks can potentially score a few upsets just by running; a lot.

D'Antoni gives the Knicks a recognizable, reputable face to the organization. This will allow them to attract free agents for less than market value (opportunity to play in a fun style, and earn a boat load in endorsements), and also keeps the fans at bay for a period of time while we deal with the "rebuilding".

NY Fans have been BEGGING to start from scratch. The vast majority of fans will *tolerate* losing for 2-3 years as long as they don't see us taking on additional contracts, trading away picks etc... and making smart decisions in the draft, free agency, and trading opportunities.

Walsh is too smart to do this right now, but don't be shocked to see Mark Jackson on the bench as an assistant in 2-3 years. D'Antoni is the face that Walsh wants now, but I think Jackson (or a proven playoff coach) is what Walsh will want down the line. It would not shock me to see Jackson end up as an assistant for D'Antoni (or maybe another team, with a recommendation from Walsh) and in 5 years sitting on the Knicks bench bringing in the big pay check.

D'Antoni is an international guy at heart (spent a looong time in Europe), and NY is one of the most diverse cities in the world. It's arguably the biggest, most demanding sports market (as a whole) in the world. Combine that with Donnie Walsh, one of the most respected and liked executives in the NBA, and you have a pretty positive situation. When you add to the fact that NOBODY expects you to win, and you are GUARANTEED $24+ million, you have a deal that is pretty hard to pass on.

The problem is, you need to get the right players to run the system. I'm guessing that quality deep off the bench is more critical in a run-and-gun system that requires a lot of stamina.

Not many players are going to be signing for "less then market value". Unless they are a veteran player who are near the end of their career that is looking get a championship, they are going to go where the money is. Endorsements are nice, but a great basketball player will get endorsements where ever he is.

I think basketball is the sport where talent out weights coaching by a large margin.

I hope the Knicks can get it together in the next two to three years. If they can copy what the Suns did, they'll be a lot of fun in a much-weaker Eastern Conference.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #95
Groundhog
Coordinator

So, do we see Nate Robinson playing 40 minutes at the PG spot and throwing alley-oops to himself off the court? That'd add some excitement to those double-digit losses!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #96
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Watch QRich revel in the limelight that his previous coach in Phoenix is going to give him.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #97
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Very short term memory. Larry Brown is a vagabond, but he is also one of the most winning coaches in the NBA who has improved every team but the Knicks and is certainly a legitimate coach.

Larry Brown isn't the big sexy hire. he's a guy that you're happy to get cuz he has name value, but you know it always, inevitably won't end well. the man walked away from the championship winning Detroit Pistons, of all teams. Larry Brown is a short term fix, he's the guy you hope will change the face of your team and leave it in a good shape for the next coach, cuz you know Brown isn't staying long.

everytime Brown gets hired, it's always billed as "the next stop on his journey". Pat Riley, now that was a huge, big sexy hire. don't get no more sexy than a coach who has ample amounts of mouse/gel in his hair than a Solid Gold dancer.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #98
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Larry Brown took the Sixers to the championship game and then left the team in the mess it is still trying to fix today. I wouldn't want him anywhere around my team.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #99
rkmsuf
Head Coach

coaches are pretty overrated in terms of importance in the nba.

unless of course you have a total buffoon. in this case the knicks are upgrading with pretty much anyone currently alive. and even that might be debatable since the corpse of Red might have been able to achieve the same results this year.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #100
NYFAN
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
The problem is, you need to get the right players to run the system. I'm guessing that quality deep off the bench is more critical in a run-and-gun system that requires a lot of stamina.

Not many players are going to be signing for "less then market value". Unless they are a veteran player who are near the end of their career that is looking get a championship, they are going to go where the money is. Endorsements are nice, but a great basketball player will get endorsements where ever he is.

I think basketball is the sport where talent out weights coaching by a large margin.

Yes and no. You can get guys for less than market value if you sell them on the right things:

- You're going to play a lot
- You're going to play in a system that fits your skill set
- You're going to make more in the long term, because you're going to be more productive in the short term than you would have somewhere else
- You're going to get significantly more endorsements, and outside financial opportunities as a good (not great) player in NY than you will in Milwaukee etc...

Walsh needs to go out and get guys who are flying under the radar, but fit our need. There are tons of guys out there that can be effective players (not stars, not all-stars, not even all around good starters by any mean) but semi-effective starters, who fit this scheme. This is how MOST players want to play, and are most comfortable playing. Finding a few that bring the right qualities to build a team that can run a little bit isn't that hard. Finding a team that can do it and win a championship is really hard, but as discussed, that's not the goal.

I'm not saying we're going to win 40 games, I'm just saying that we may win 25-35 and there are going to be a few upsets when we beat a team who is built to slow it down.

"It was me against the world, but it made me strong" -Sprewell
NYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote