Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #51
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm undecided on Bennett. The SFish aspects of his game - decent shooting touch and very good athleticism - are all things that an undersized PF will need in the NBA where he won't be able to bully guys inside. As a pick-and-roll or pick-and-pop guy at PF he has a lot of potential I think though, and that's probably the most important thing for a big in today's NBA.

On D his reputation is pretty poor, but there is no reason why that can't improve with his tools... his 7'1 wingspan helps make up for his height, and it sounds like it's effort more than anything that is needed on that end. The right coach in the NBA would help here, but he probably won't get that being drafted high in the lottery to a (probably) horrible team.

So, yeah, I like him. He has question marks, but every player this draft does. I don't think he goes top-3 but I wouldn't be shocked if he did, especially with the Cavs picking at #1.

Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #52
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Wiz are supposedly split between Bennett and Porter.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #53
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I guess my cap guess was pretty close...

The threat of the James Harden-led Rockets signing Howard away from L.A. is very real to the Lakers, sources said, which means the Lakers will eventually be getting a sign-and-trade pitch from Houston as well. The Rockets will have the cap space to sign Howard outright after the expected shedding of Thomas Robinson's contract, but sources say that the Rockets will certainly attempt to convince the Lakers to take in return Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin in a sign-and-trade deal for Howard, thus theoretically keeping alive the possibility that Houston could preserve its cap space to pursue Chris Paul and possibly pair Howard with Paul.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #54
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think out of Porter and Bennett, Porter has the most obvious set of skills and position for the transition to the pro game. Bennett has a tougher road ahead of him to adapt to his position against taller and bigger NBA 4s, although his talent and college production can't be denied.

IMO, Porter's ceiling seems higher based on his build and skillset, while I view Bennett as a boom/bust type who's development will probably be affected a great deal by the situation he ends up in. More so than Porter, anyway. If I were Washington, I'd go Porter.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:30 AM   #55
nol
Banned

Yeah, based on current rosters, Washington is probably the only team until the T-Wolves at #9 with any playoff expectations for next year. Porter can help more off the bat, plus the Wizards could then dangle Ariza's expiring contract.

If any other team were deciding between Porter and Bennett, you could make a much stronger case for Bennett simply because the guys in the 2014 draft create an even larger than usual incentive to (suck, tank, develop young players) this coming year.

Last edited by nol : 06-17-2013 at 02:31 AM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #56
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
I guess my cap guess was pretty close...

The threat of the James Harden-led Rockets signing Howard away from L.A. is very real to the Lakers, sources said, which means the Lakers will eventually be getting a sign-and-trade pitch from Houston as well. The Rockets will have the cap space to sign Howard outright after the expected shedding of Thomas Robinson's contract, but sources say that the Rockets will certainly attempt to convince the Lakers to take in return Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin in a sign-and-trade deal for Howard, thus theoretically keeping alive the possibility that Houston could preserve its cap space to pursue Chris Paul and possibly pair Howard with Paul.

If Kobe was able to restrain from murdering Howard, I suppose Paul will be able to.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #57
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
If Kobe was able to restrain from murdering Howard, I suppose Paul will be able to.

I think Paul did a wonderful job masking his hate for Jordan/Griffin this year. If he can get along with those two guys then Howard should be no problem.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #58
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm a Clippers fan, so take this with a grain of salt, but I really don't think CP3 is going anywhere.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #59
Izulde
Head Coach

One of my former Contemporary Issues in College Sports students, who's now the Sports Editor for The Rebel Yell, got featured for a Q & A in this article about AB15 to the Wizards.

Truth About It » Why the Wizards Should Roll the Vegas Dice on Canadian Star Anthony Bennett

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #61
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So it seems like the Clips-Celtics finally came to an arrangement that was similar to the rumored deal, with DJ and two picks going to the Celtics for KG and for the Celtics to let Doc Rivers out of his contract to go sign with the Clips.

And the NBA stepped in and said no.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #62
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The two teams are working on other arrangements now to still try to make it happen.

I hate David Stern (even if his manipulation essentially brought the Clips CP3).

Old 06-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #63
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm seeing a lot of mock drafts switching the #1 pick to Len. Is that really a possibility?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #64
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So it seems like the Clips-Celtics finally came to an arrangement that was similar to the rumored deal, with DJ and two picks going to the Celtics for KG and for the Celtics to let Doc Rivers out of his contract to go sign with the Clips.

Isn't the issue that you can't trade a coach but you can do draft pick compensation? What I heard was that essentially they'd have to do two separate transactions. One would be a straight up trade of Garnett and Jordan and the other would be Doc Rivers going to the Clippers for draft pick compensation.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #65
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
Isn't the issue that you can't trade a coach but you can do draft pick compensation? What I heard was that essentially they'd have to do two separate transactions. One would be a straight up trade of Garnett and Jordan and the other would be Doc Rivers going to the Clippers for draft pick compensation.

That was the supposed deals the Clips-Celtics had settled on, but that's the pair of transactions the NBA has issues with for some reason.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #66
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm seeing a lot of mock drafts switching the #1 pick to Len. Is that really a possibility?

Haven´t followed this, so no take on the validity of the rumour... But if you go by the assumption the Cavs are willing to take uncertain upside after taking a couple roleplayers early in previous years i can see it happening. It´s not like Noel comes without question marks of his own. Maybe none as glaring as Len, but i for one don´t see Noel ever being a real factor offensively. I´m at least undecided on that regarding Len.

Aside from actually pretty good numbers (12/8 with 2 blocks in 26 minutes) : looking solely at his skillset and physichal attributes i can absolutely see him going No1.
He´s a solid 7/7´1 with a good wingspan, really good athleticism, good hands and is barely 20 years old. He´s gonna be a great pick and roll player if nothing else.

I´d peg him 4th or 5th on my own big board, but he´s the prototypical riser, being the perfect embodiment in the NBAs evergoing quest for the elusive 2-way 7 footer.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-20-2013 at 12:39 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #67
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The two teams are working on other arrangements now to still try to make it happen.

I hate David Stern (even if his manipulation essentially brought the Clips CP3).

...basketball reasons... /not bitter

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-20-2013 at 12:55 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #68
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well at least that'd mean there would only be one winter sport I'd have to follow for a while.

The "rebuilding process" for NBA teams is painful. Kills fans.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #69
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
That was the supposed deals the Clips-Celtics had settled on, but that's the pair of transactions the NBA has issues with for some reason.

seriously ? That´s like the laziest attempt at cheating the cpu in a text sim. If it´s in the rules that you can´t include a coach in a player-trade (and all i read points to that), how can you expect a review board to believe that "theese are 2 seperate moves, we swear !" ?
There´s been coaches "traded" (Stan Van Gundy a recent example), but to my knowledge not ever at the same time as the same 2 teams doing a "seperate" move.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-20-2013 at 01:24 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #70
nol
Banned

[quote=whomario;2834coincidingn´t followed this, so no take on the validity of the rumor... But if you go by the assumption the Cavs are willing to take uncertain upside after taking a couple roleplayers early in previous years i can see it happening. It´s not like Noel comes without question marks of his own. Maybe none as glaring as Len, but i for one don´t see Noel ever being a real factor offensively. I´m at least undecided on that regarding Len.

Aside from actually pretty good numbers (12/8 with 2 blocks in 26 minutes) : looking solely at his skillset and physichal attributes i can absolutely see him going No1.
He´s a solid 7/7´1 with a good wingspan, really good athleticism, good hands and is barely 20 years old. He´s gonna be a great pick and roll player if nothing else.

I´d peg him 4th or 5th on my own big board, but he´s the prototypical riser, being the perfect embodiment in the NBAs evergoing quest for the elusive 2-way 7 footer.[/QUOTE]

I think his rise is coinciding with people looking at his game footage and seeing exactly how inept Maryland's guards were at getting him the ball. It doesn't hurt that there's not too much out there on him for people to really pick him apart. It would have been great to see more of hime him agaonst someone like Valanciunas (sp?) on the Raptors, but he hasn't been able to represent his country since he left for Maryland.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #71
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I might softening up on my stance against hating the Jazz for forcing Sloan to retire. They are reaching to him and Karl to help with the team

Utah Jazz bring back former coach Jerry Sloan as consultant - ESPN
Old 06-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #72
heybrad
Norm!!!

I just read Stern's comments on the Clippers-Celtics deal and he's saying that since it's clear they aren't separate moves, he won't allow it. So if they hadn't acted like the two were linked it could have gone through.

It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry returns a jacket out of spite and the cashier tells him, you can't return it out of spite. Jerry says... ok, it doesn't fit and the cashier tells him, 'Too late, you already said spite.'

Last edited by heybrad : 06-20-2013 at 03:23 PM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #73
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
seriously ? That´s like the laziest attempt at cheating the cpu in a text sim. If it´s in the rules that you can´t include a coach in a player-trade (and all i read points to that), how can you expect a review board to believe that "theese are 2 seperate moves, we swear !" ?
There´s been coaches "traded" (Stan Van Gundy a recent example), but to my knowledge not ever at the same time as the same 2 teams doing a "seperate" move.

Actaully, coaches are not forbidden to be traded by the CBA. They are just not expressly allowed to be traded.

The CBA only says what teams can do. It doesn't say what they can't do, or what is in violation of the CBA.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #74
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Haven´t followed this, so no take on the validity of the rumour... But if you go by the assumption the Cavs are willing to take uncertain upside after taking a couple roleplayers early in previous years i can see it happening. It´s not like Noel comes without question marks of his own. Maybe none as glaring as Len, but i for one don´t see Noel ever being a real factor offensively. I´m at least undecided on that regarding Len.

I´d peg him 4th or 5th on my own big board, but he´s the prototypical riser, being the perfect embodiment in the NBAs evergoing quest for the elusive 2-way 7 footer.

I think the Cavs have shown that they will take the player they consider the best prospect, regardless of hype or general consensus. I hated the Thompson and Waiters selections at first, but in hindsight both look like good selections. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt now.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #75
Groundhog
Coordinator

There's a rumour that the Cavs are willing to swallow Marion's contract from the Mavs in order to move from #19 to their #13 pick and grab Sergey Karasev, a 19 year old SF from Russia. I'd never heard of him before, but he played an unusually large role in Europe against strong competition, and his draftexpress video looks impressive as far as a slasher and spot-up guy goes (of course, they don't show the misses...):

Old 06-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #76
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Clips get Rivers.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #77
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Clips get Rivers.

Great - as noted...one less winter sport for me to follow, since this means the inevitable rebuilding.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #78
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Great - as noted...one less winter sport for me to follow, since this means the inevitable rebuilding.

With or without Rivers, the Celtics were rebuilding.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #79
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
With or without Rivers, the Celtics were rebuilding.

That's true. Which is no fun to watch at all. Rebuilding in the NBA is such a crapshoot.

Oh well.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #80
Danny
Head Coach

In general being a fan of a 80% of the teams in the NBA is a crapshoot.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #81
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
That's true. Which is no fun to watch at all. Rebuilding in the NBA is such a crapshoot.

Oh well.

It is a crapshoot (which is why the NBA simply isn't as good as other leagues), but if the Cs do the following, they'll be doing it right:

Trade KG this offseason. If he can't go to the Clippers for DeAndre Jordan + 1st round pick, then perhaps somewhere else for a 1st round pick or some young talent.

Trade PP to a contender at the trade deadline for another 1st. Yes, he's 35 but his per 36 numbers were close to his historical numbers and he still averaged 19/6/4 last year. He can be a massively valuable asset during a playoff run as the 2nd or 3rd scorer.

If those two things happen, then the Cs will be a good position to restock the cupboard. They already have some promising talent on the team and still have Rondo (there's another huge trade chip as well). In the NBA that's all you can do.

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-23-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #82
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

Oh well.

It will be interesting to find out how good Jeff green really is. No one was winning the East except Miami unless an injury, so perfect time to take the medicine.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #83
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It will be interesting to find out how good Jeff green really is. No one was winning the East except Miami unless an injury, so perfect time to take the medicine.

That's true. It will be interesting to see if Jeff Green can carry an offense.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #84
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
It is a crapshoot (which is why the NBA simply isn't as good as other leagues), but if the Cs do the following, they'll be doing it right:

Trade KG this offseason. If he can't go to the Clippers for DeAndre Jordan + 1st round pick, then perhaps somewhere else for a 1st round pick or some young talent.

Trade PP to a contender at the trade deadline for another 1st. Yes, he's 35 but his per 36 numbers were close to his historical numbers and he still averaged 19/6/4 last year. He can be a massively valuable asset during a playoff run as the 2nd or 3rd scorer.

If those two things happen, then the Cs will be a good position to restock the cupboard. They already have some promising talent on the team and still have Rondo (there's another huge trade chip as well). In the NBA that's all you can do.

The only problem I see with this is that a KG-less Celtics still compete for a playoff spot. If they are the seventh seed at the deadline I doubt they have the guts to trade Pierce.

I think they need to trade Pierce before the season starts.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #85
korme
Go Reds

Selfishly, (not a C's fan) I hope to see PP play out his career in Boston. We've got Kobe, Duncan, PP and Dirk for longevity. Hope they all finish where they started.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #86
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, as a non-Celts fan I hope he does too. I don't see it happening though, as I don't see him having a lot of interest in playing for a lottery team at this stage of his career. As for the Celts as a whole next season, they are going to be ugly. If they keep Green I guess he'll get around 20ppg, but I'm not convinced he's really anything more than a nice 3rd option on a good team.

I'm interested to see what happens with Splitter. Someone is going to overpay for what is essentially an average starting bigman production-wise, and I don't see the Spurs matching it. I think he's a nice pivot with his incredibly-slow-yet-somehow-effective post moves, but I just don't think he's worth the 8+ mil a year that someone will throw at him.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #87
molson
General Manager

I don't think they're going to get anything for Pierce (the one published rumor I saw had Cleveland offering 2 second round picks). I think the Celtics might just buy him out for $5 million if that's the best they're going to get.

Garnett might be worth a little more to a contender but I'm not holding my breath.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #88
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

So you're a fair weather fan, then.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #89
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Selfishly, (not a C's fan) I hope to see PP play out his career in Boston. We've got Kobe, Duncan, PP and Dirk for longevity. Hope they all finish where they started.

As a Celtics fan, I agree. That's the main reason I didn't want to hit the reset-button yet, because I fear that means that they'll try to get rid of PP, and I think PP is one of the last of the breed of stars that will play their whole careers with one team.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #90
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think both Garnett and Pierce should have value to a contender. I think Garnett's value is a little more obvious, with Pierce it would all depend on how willing he was to accept a smaller role.

Having said that, it's hard to envision Pierce as a spot up shooter off the bench. His best asset is his ability to score with the ball in his hands, which is probably a lot less valuable on a contender.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #91
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

If you want to look at it that way, when it comes to the NBA...yes.

There are increasingly more and more things that I can do with my time. Work, games, reading a book, trying to get a relationship started, etc. Sitting around watching a basketball team suffer through a 20-30 win season and getting frustrated/agitated about that is not a productive use of my time or emotional energy.

So what?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #92
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

I don't think opting to not sit down and watch your team get blown out and play ugly basketball for 6 months makes you a fair weather fan. I didn't watch an awful lot of Cavs basketball in 2010-11 as a Jamison-Hickson-Baron Davis lineup was not exactly thrilling basketball. I understand the need to rebuild - and it landed us Irving - but it's not like the ownership has assembled the team with their fanbase in mind. Die hards can get good seats and cheer on future Euroleague MVPs while basketball fanatics like me can enjoy other NBA games featuring contenders while we pray the lottery bounces our way.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So what?

This is pretty much where I am with most things sports (and a goodly number of non-sports too).

At the end of the day, it's supposed to be entertaining ... and if watching bad basketball (or baseball or whatever) or listening to sucky bands doesn't entertain me sufficiently then why shouldn't I turn my attention elsewhere?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #94
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This is pretty much where I am with most things sports (and a goodly number of non-sports too).

At the end of the day, it's supposed to be entertaining ... and if watching bad basketball (or baseball or whatever) or listening to sucky bands doesn't entertain me sufficiently then why shouldn't I turn my attention elsewhere?

Goddamnit - we agree on something else!!!

Same way I am with baseball too for the record. Except that since a baseball game is usually 4 hours long it's even harder to get me to sit down and watch it (read: near impossible).

And like you, with other stuff too. Concerts of bands I don't like...movies, spending time with people, etc.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #95
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
If you want to look at it that way, when it comes to the NBA...yes.

There are increasingly more and more things that I can do with my time. Work, games, reading a book, trying to get a relationship started, etc. Sitting around watching a basketball team suffer through a 20-30 win season and getting frustrated/agitated about that is not a productive use of my time or emotional energy.

So what?

Can't blame you. I totally backed away from following the Pacers after the Malice in the Palace and stayed away when they were rebuilding. I didn't root for other teams, just didn't care much. The Colts are probably the only team I'd follow through a dismal season.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #96
Izulde
Head Coach

I think length of season has something to do with it. I've gotten to where I don't care about baseball anymore. White Sox haven't done much lately to say the least, and 3 hours a game at 162 games is just too much time and too much effort to bother with.

I can see the same with the NBA and NHL since it's 82 games.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:23 AM   #97
Groundhog
Coordinator

I still can't believe how many games each team plays per season in MLB...
Old 06-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #98
Logan
Head Coach

Agree with others. To me, as long as you're not picking up another team to root for while your team is struggling, it's all good. Baseball is dead to me for a couple more years, save for checking in on Matt Harvey every five days. I just don't have the time anymore to trudge along.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #99
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
As a Celtics fan, I agree. That's the main reason I didn't want to hit the reset-button yet, because I fear that means that they'll try to get rid of PP, and I think PP is one of the last of the breed of stars that will play their whole careers with one team.

Pierce has salary cap value next summer so his situation is complicated.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #100
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pierce has salary cap value next summer so his situation is complicated.

Right. Hopefully though they'll either hold him, or he'll retire when they trade him.

Hell - I've gone on record as saying I'd rather they keep him and suck for 3-4 years longer than they would have then trade him and get better sooner. Loyalty man.

So their pick is what...#16 this year or something? Who's realistic in that range? Anybody decent, or is it a shallow-draft?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-24-2013 at 08:52 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote