Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2005, 02:37 PM   #51
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Everyone's got their cause. This is mine. Screw the Olympics, international competitions, and any similar events that take away from the college and professional leagues that really matter.

I admire that kind of passion. Viva la screw the Olympics!

rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #52
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Everyone's got their cause. This is mine. Screw the Olympics, international competitions, and any similar events that take away from the college and professional leagues that really matter.

But in the end, does any of it matter?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #53
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yes. Yes it does. To me. I deserve to be entertained in the manner I see fit.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:41 PM   #54
Klinglerware
College Starter

Carry on, then...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:56 PM   #55
Ksyrup

I'm finished for now. I'll be back in March, when Spring Training is obliterated so that Bud Selig can sell internet feeds of MLB games to Micronesians.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-08-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:08 PM   #56
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The best of the best are already playing...it's called Major League Baseball. And as a bonus, they play every year!

Yes, but they aren't playing representing their countries, with all the hate that may entail. I want to see inter-country griping, dammit!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #57
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

No more Jennie Finch?
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #58
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Yes, but they aren't playing representing their countries, with all the hate that may entail. I want to see inter-country griping, dammit!

I'm sure CSPAN23 has 24 hour coverage of the UN.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:16 PM   #59
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sure CSPAN23 has 24 hour coverage of the UN.

No, we need that as well!

But there is a distinct lack of physical violence and outright putting down of countries there!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:47 PM   #60
Ksyrup

There are many different countries represented in our professional leagues. You should concentrate your efforts at promoting violence and put-downs there. Do not fall for this international competition bullshit.

And while you're at it, have them take shots at each other's mothers, too. We can have it all, right here in our country. And New York can be the center of attention again, instead of just another loser. It's win/win!
Old 07-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #61
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
I can understand diferents medals for diferent distances, but for styles? there are diferent styles to make the jumps. And only one medal. And there are diferent styles to run. And only one medal. And one medal for each category of throwing. But in the other sports, they only give the price to the "best" style.

I think it´s a shame that an olympic swimmer can get 5-6 medals "easily", well not easy, but easier than any other olympic. Well maybe gymnastics, but this is other theme.

ML already beat me to it, talking about speed skating but there are other sports like that. Track, for instance- there are frequently people doing the 100, 200, 400, and a relay or two, to boot.

Then again, similar to boxing, there's weightlifting. The 100 kg guy is never going to be able to outlift the 150 kg guy so should you just

Hell, to take it one step further. Why even have male and female versions of each event. Fastest person wins, right? Heck, it would clean up Title IX in the college ranks (then again, I've been on this for years- why is football a "men's" sport- there have been girls who have tried out and made it; hell any woman who thow better than our recent QBs, Whittimore excepted, is more than welcome to come play at KU on a full ride).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:19 PM   #62
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Also, I would like to watch the 100 meter backwards race.

I would watch that in a heartbeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara
I give up. No former swimmer here. To difficult to explain the need an beauty of different style to someone who never swim as a professional swimmer.
I really give up

I know that's got a smiley so it's probably in jest (and thus this can be ignored)... But to counter that argument, I would say that I can't bobsled or luge to save my life but I think those are both interesting to watch. Just because someone never swam competitively doesn't mean they can't have an informed opinion.

SI

Old 07-08-2005, 09:57 PM   #63
WrongWay
Banned

To all the track & field people out there.

Is that speed walking thing an Olympic event?

Track & Field races have
1) Really fast running
2) Running & Jumping
3) And finally just plain walking?
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:00 PM   #64
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
To all the track & field people out there.

Is that speed walking thing an Olympic event?

Track & Field races have
1) Really fast running
2) Running & Jumping
3) And finally just plain walking?

Yeah, apparently they have to keep both feet on the ground at all times. So from what I understand, they just waddle.

20 kilometres even... crazy

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-08-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:19 PM   #65
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

This is sad. Softball was one of my favorite events in the Olympics. And not just because Jenny Finch is a hottie.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:07 PM   #66
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hey..check this out

After being voted onto the program of the 2012 Olympic Games by achieving more than 50% of the IOC members’ votes, squash suffered a cruel blow today in Singapore when the IOC decided against replacing the two sports dropped earlier in the day from the London Games program.

But World Squash Federation (WSF) Chief Executive Christian Leighton believes that the positive responses received by Squash in Singapore will ultimately lead to realization of the sport’s Olympic dream.

Earlier in the day, IOC members voted softball and baseball off the 2012 program, leaving room for two successors to be chosen from squash, rugby sevens, rollers sports, karate and golf – sports which had been short-listed for consideration in an IOC announcement last September.

With more than 50% of the votes in the first poll amongst IOC members, squash was immediately added to the 2012 program – later joined by karate. However, when the vote came for each sport to be “recognized as an Olympic sport” – for which two thirds of the vote were needed – neither achieved the required two-third majority. Squash gained 63 votes, seven short of the 70 required!

This confirms that the IOC is a fucking joke and these idiots have no business running or controlling anything - let alone the largest international sports competition.

Seriously. Not because I like or care about Squash and Karate. But because the fact that they need to have TWO votes that say the same thing...is absurd.

Link

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-08-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:12 PM   #67
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I dunno- it seems to make sense to me. If there aren't any big enough sports to replace the ones they are bumping off, just drop 2 sports altogether. Which is what they did?

SI

Old 07-08-2005, 11:15 PM   #68
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I dunno- it seems to make sense to me. If there aren't any big enough sports to replace the ones they are bumping off, just drop 2 sports altogether. Which is what they did?

SI

Well, squash is played in 148 countries. So I dunno how much bigger you can get than that. And well, who DOES do karate? (I don't, but that's not the point..)

The point is, why did they do TWO votes..one which added the sports to the program because they got 50% of the vote and then take ANOTHER vote to make them "officially recognized" sports of the Olympics?

It just doesn't make any sense at all. Just do one vote or change the first vote to 2/3 rather than 50%. But what's the point of doing two votes that essentially do the same damn thing?

It's just arcane. And what's worse, is that...the IOC doesn't release the numbers. So you don't know WHO voted for what.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:32 PM   #69
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Well, squash is played in 148 countries. So I dunno how much bigger you can get than that. And well, who DOES do karate? (I don't, but that's not the point..)

The point is, why did they do TWO votes..one which added the sports to the program because they got 50% of the vote and then take ANOTHER vote to make them "officially recognized" sports of the Olympics?

It just doesn't make any sense at all. Just do one vote or change the first vote to 2/3 rather than 50%. But what's the point of doing two votes that essentially do the same damn thing?

It's just arcane. And what's worse, is that...the IOC doesn't release the numbers. So you don't know WHO voted for what.

You're playing devil's advocate, right? Please tell me you are not this upset about seeing squash and karate's names drug through the mud! I guarantee you that millions of men across the country will sign their under-sized, weak, wimpy kids up for karate next year regardless of whether it's an Olympic sport or not. And they will still get their asses kicked.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:40 AM   #70
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
You're playing devil's advocate, right? Please tell me you are not this upset about seeing squash and karate's names drug through the mud! I guarantee you that millions of men across the country will sign their under-sized, weak, wimpy kids up for karate next year regardless of whether it's an Olympic sport or not. And they will still get their asses kicked.

Yeah, I am actually. Just getting prepared for a blog entry. Nice to get all fired up. It's my best Skip Bayless impression.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-09-2005 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:41 AM   #71
21C
College Prospect

I say that they should bring back the Standing High Jump, Standing Long Jump and Standing Triple Jump. None of these girlie runups!
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:57 AM   #72
Tara
Mascot

Quote:
I would watch that in a heartbeat!

I know that's got a smiley so it's probably in jest (and thus this can be ignored)... But to counter that argument, I would say that I can't bobsled or luge to save my life but I think those are both interesting to watch. Just because someone never swam competitively doesn't mean they can't have an informed opinion.

SI

Never tought that to be informed on something you had to do it in the past or have a direct experience on that.
But I was getting crazy...I've never heard something like what I read on this thread about swmming, really.
So I tought that maybe was difficoult to understand cos this swimming stuff was out from your everyday ''culture'', and you just see the 'arrive frist and faster'...but as you correcly supposed, I wasn't seriusly speaking.
I was just driven crazy by this thread and I need to put a cross over and stop thinking about that...
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #73
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Yeah, I am actually. Just getting prepared for a blog entry. Nice to get all fired up. It's my best Skip Bayless impression.

Please for the love of God, shoot higher than that. I'm sure you can do him quite a few better.

SI

Old 07-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #74
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Cell Phone Message texting should be an Olympic sport! Think of how popular texting is across the world.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #75
AlexB
Pro Starter

It's a shame baseball has gone: I love football, but of the other three major US sports the only one that has any attraction is baseball - was kinda looking forward to watching some games at the Oval or wherever they were going to host it...

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #76
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Preach on brother, preach on. The Olympics' time has come and gone. It should go back to nothing but amatuer sports.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #77
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Please for the love of God, shoot higher than that. I'm sure you can do him quite a few better.

SI

I was being over the top. I don't know anyone that's aspiring to be a TV hack.