Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #51
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I like the show, but I can't get it out of my head that the lead guy is Harry from Dumb and Dumber.

Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #52
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Watching Waterston and Fonda wail away at each other was a brilliant pay off. Best part of the episode. I'm also continuing to be impressed by Jeff Daniels. I've never been a huge fan but he's taking to this role very well, particularly dealing with the intensive dialogue he's given.

As much as I want to love this show, I can't disagree with any of the criticisms here. I do like John Gallagher Jr. but the women have been absolutely atrocious. I don't think you can put that entirely on Sorkin for not writing well for women because this is the same guy who gave us Dana Whitaker and CJ Cregg.

I still felt this episode was bloated and would have made a pretty good 42-minute episode rather than 60 minutes.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 07-10-2012 at 08:09 AM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #53
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I'm really getting bored/irritated already with the rehashing of RL news. Just seems sort of gimmicky or something. Would honestly be better if it was all fictional and they could actually use politicians as characters. Instead it's a weird mix of "let's reference RL politicians, but then have made-up minor ones when we need interview subjects."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Totally agree - understand why they wanted set in a real world environment, but it seems they didn't really think things through - fictional would be a lot better. And Mortimer in the last episide was absolutely terrible.
+2

I thought it was very disjointed mixing the "real" news with fake interviews and fake politicians. The real news just brings too much baggage with it that colors your view of every scene.

I know Sorkin will say that he wants this show to be a commentary on the news and politics, but he's done that in so many previous projects without having to bring in the real world. He's a good enough writer that creating a good parable is easy for him without having to resort to such thinly veiled plots.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #54
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still really enjoying the show, but I think I might be their exact target audience. Every one of the monologues that Jeff's character has done has echoed my thoughts almost exactly. Because of this, I am probably willing to overlook some of its flaws.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #55
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I'm still really enjoying the show, but I think I might be their exact target audience. Every one of the monologues that Jeff's character has done has echoed my thoughts almost exactly. Because of this, I am probably willing to overlook some of its flaws.

I agree with him a good bit as well, but I can't really see the difference between this supposed "actual news" and what is on every night on cable now. A preachy anchor bringing people on his show to attack them. Yeah, that is just like Murrow and Cronkite.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #56
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I agree with him a good bit as well, but I can't really see the difference between this supposed "actual news" and what is on every night on cable now. A preachy anchor bringing people on his show to attack them. Yeah, that is just like Murrow and Cronkite.

The last episode was mostly shown as a recap from the POV of the suits yelling at Sam Waterston's character. It isn't surprising that it had more "negative" attributes. It also fit with the idea that "facts are balanced" and that equal time shouldn't be given to unequal arguments in the name of "balance".

The Times Square bombing item from earlier in the show was a good example of going for news and not just sensationalism. The oil spill spots from earlier episodes were better balanced too.

I hope that future episodes will turn back to newscasts of the 2.0 type that was promised.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #57
sabotai
General Manager

Even though the end was thoroughly predictable and the "mission to civilize" sounded very familiar, I thought that episode was much better than the previous 2.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #58
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Bigfoot thing got old rather quickly.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #59
Logan
Head Coach

I thought it was horrible until the end. The fucking love triangle shit is horrendous.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #60
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I am a fan of this show. I have never heard of the writer nor have I ever watched West Wing, Studio 60 or whatever so this is all new to me.

I love it.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #61
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Coldplay?! Really!?!
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #62
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
Coldplay?! Really!?!

Made me think I was watching Scrubs.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #63
kcchief19
Pro Starter

They have managed to shove 7 months into four episodes, so I guess at this pace they will have run out of "the recent past" by the end of season one.

I still contend if you edit put 20 minutes of each episode you have a quality show.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #64
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I may have to back off my earlier comments on the News 2.0. This episode was nearly entirely bashing conservatives again. There is certainly a lot to bash and the identified lies were all accurate, but it is starting to feel more heavy-handed.

The end of the episode was really good, and I hope more of the shows include this kind of event. Real news and an avoidance of sensationalism and mindlessly repeating any "source" that speaks.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #65
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I want to be fixed up with Lisa.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #66
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Hmm I have episodes 2 and 3 on my DVR, since I was out of the country when they aired. Sounds like they're not as good as the pilot...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #67
Logan
Head Coach

How HBO Made It Look Like Critics Liked 'The Newsroom' - Forbes

I know this stuff has gone on for a while, but I really like this one:

Quote:
Salon’s Willa Paskin is quoted in the ad calling “The Newsroom” “captivating, riveting, rousing.” Here’s what she actually wrote: “The results are a captivating, riveting, rousing, condescending, smug, infuriating mixture, a potent potion that advertises itself as intelligence-enhancing but is actually just crazy-making.”
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #68
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and (almost) all of the writers for the show were just fired:

News Briefs: The Newsroom Fires Its Writers - News - TV.com

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #69
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Just watched the latest episodes, and thought it was one of the better ones. More focus on real news, nice nod to the courage and professionalism of on-the-ground journalists, and better inter-play between the characters.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #70
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Oh, and (almost) all of the writers for the show were just fired:

News Briefs: The Newsroom Fires Its Writers - News - TV.com

SI

Oi. I thought the 2nd episode was weaker than the first but still enjoyed it. Still have episodes 3-5 on DVR...been reading too much lately.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #71
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The season finale was tonight.

As a whole this show gets a fair amount of hate but I've enjoyed it. The Jim-Maggie-Don-Lisa has dragged on for way too long and some of the side plots involving Neal were kind of lame but other than those I don't have too many complaints.

I like that the show is over the top and I find Will and Mackenzie's unusual behavior to be entertaining for the most part. Charlie's a great character. And show's attitude definitely works for me, I enjoy seeing Will and the other characters slaughter the Tea Party and the media so often and with such style. Hopefully the second season can keep that up and fix some of the negatives.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #72
sabotai
General Manager

I thought the season started off okay, had a few terrible episodes near the beginning but got a lot better as the season went on. But I thought the season finale was terrible. And yes, the Jim-Maggie-Don-Lisa thing has just simply gone on too long. I'm also wondering just why the fuck Jim would want Maggie when he has Lisa. But of course, they'll do the usual, completely cliche and lame thing and eventually have Maggie and Jim end up together.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #73
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm just the opposite. I thought it started OK and treaded water for a few weeks before entering a cringe-worthy spiral that made me question each week if I could continue watching. The finale pulled it put of the spiral and was for me the best full episode of the season. This was the first episode I didn't think would be better if it had been 18 minutes shorter.

This was the best back-and-forth between Will and McKenzie. I likes they way they romantic rhombus was handled this week. And anytime Charlie is battling Leona, count me in. I love Sam Waterston on this show, and Jane Fonda makes a perfect bitch foil for him.

Guess we wait until June to see what happens.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #74
whomario
Pro Starter

Just caught up on watching the series and actually found it very interesting. Might be due to the fact that i knew quite a bit less that you guys likely would about many of the real life news stories (or how they were reported).

Strangely, a few of the biggest knocks on the show around the web registered with me quite differently.

1) bashing "new media" : I think that in an age, where everybody seems to think they know all there is to "media" and "news" and everybody feels they are qualified to bash "old media" it's only fair enough when someone stands up and points out the deficiencies associated with "new media".

2) using the real life news stories to push hindsight down our throats: I actually felt more like that they were trying to depict the ideal way to handle things, either by them getting it right or getting it spectacularly wrong. I don't think it is about Sorkin saying "i told you so, how could you not see it this way ?" but rather showing what the goal should be. No shame in failing, only in not trying.

I actually was less than impressed with the actual character building and the social context of the presented group. That really was lacking a lot, with an incredible amount of contrived situations and absurd plot points. Some strong individual performances though and i generally like a lot of the characters. Olivia Munn does a great deadpan btw

Overall i really enjoyed the shows first 2 seasons though, even despite the ocasional "you americans are kinda wacky, aren't you ?" moments

p.s. : Last season (only 6 episodes) starts next sunday btw.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-02-2014 at 06:56 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote