Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #51
tgray649
Mascot

Was Vance Joseph the DC at Texas last year that Charlie Strong fired?

tgray649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #52
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgray649 View Post

Vance Bedford
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #53
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

No, he's been in the NFL since 05.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #54
tgray649
Mascot

Ok, was just too lazy to do the research...In my opinion I would think Denver would go for an offensive coach. Shanahan seems the favorite.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #55
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Ok, was just too lazy to do the research...In my opinion I would think Denver would go for an offensive coach. Shanahan seems the favorite.

I've seen probably a dozen articles that say the opposite. Joseph is a Wade Phillips protege, which probably carries more weight these days than a Mike Shanahan protege. Kyle Shanahan's strongest argument is the similarity in the offensive scheme.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #56
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that Peter King had the best advice for Chip Kelly. He needs to take a year off to figure out why all of the front office people for whom he has worked end up hating him so much.

I think he knows that already. He knows they hate him because those front office people don't know as much about personnel and how that personnel fits into his system as much as he does. Not saying he is that much different than any other NFL coach. Chip just has the fatal flaw of having to let the front office know what they don't know.

I am super intrigued by the possibility of him becoming an offensive coordinator whether it is with the Patriots or some other team. I doubt any team would allow him to implement his entire system. Tom Brady is not running the read option. That would mean Kelly would be making adjustments and running a more traditional offense while sprinkling in a percentage of his own style. That sounds like a lot of fun. That also sounds like something that would pissed of fans in Philly and SF.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #57
bhlloy
Coordinator

Grigson and Pagano staying with the Colts - how you can possibly justify keeping Grigson is completely beyond me
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #58
miami_fan
Coordinator

Justification--It took eight years to put a Super Bowl winning team around Peyton Manning.

I did not say it was a good justification but it is one that I think Jim Irsay would buy.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #59
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Grigson and Pagano staying with the Colts - how you can possibly justify keeping Grigson is completely beyond me

Two words: Prescription Pills

But honestly as a Colts fan I'm conflicted.

On the plus side the Colts do have a winning record under Grigs/Pags and after watching the Browns and Lions for the last couple decades that should count for something. The Colts also have an AFC championship appearance.

On the down side the team does seem to be at it's ceiling. Grigs has squandered every 1st round pick except for Luck (The book is still out on Ryan Kelly afaic). The team seems to losing talent. You could also replace this paragraph with "Trent Richardson".

On the neutral side who are you going to replace Grigson with? I have no idea what Gm talent there is waiting in the wings that will do better.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #60
bhlloy
Coordinator

Anyone can do better than Grigson. He found what was supposed to be a generational talent at 1st overall, has completely failed to put any talent around him, had arguably the worst drafts in the entire league outside of Luck and his teams have put together a couple of decent seasons in the worst division in the NFL

I'm prone to hyperbole, but I'm pretty sure the majority of posters on this board could do a better job
Old 01-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #61
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
But honestly as a Colts fan I'm conflicted.

On the neutral side who are you going to replace Grigson with? I have no idea what Gm talent there is waiting in the wings that will do better.

No, you're not conflicted. You're simply too close to see clearly. Try this:

Quote:
Anyone can do better than Grigson.

See how easy that was?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #62
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You've never heard of the Cleveland Browns
Old 01-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #63
bhlloy
Coordinator

If the Browns had the #1 pick when Andrew Luck was on the board, I think they might not be a much worse team than the Colts

Seriously, Grigson is awful
Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #64
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Browns would've picked RG3.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #65
tgray649
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I've seen probably a dozen articles that say the opposite. Joseph is a Wade Phillips protege, which probably carries more weight these days than a Mike Shanahan protege. Kyle Shanahan's strongest argument is the similarity in the offensive scheme.

From the Denver games I have watched this year defense didn't seem to be the problem, granted they had a second year quarterback and a revolving door at running back but if Elway wants a defensive minded HC promote Phillips...Anyway like I said, imo.

Last edited by tgray649 : 01-08-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #66
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Excited to see this. The guy just wins football games and I'd love to see him close out his career right here.

Kansas City Chiefs will try to sign Andy Reid to an extension this offseason
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #67
TroyF
Coordinator

commenting about many things in the thread:

1 - The Colts GM is simply Dreadful. Take away the dream pick of Luck and this IS the Cleveland Browns.

2 - The Broncos have loved Joseph for a long time. They wanted him for the DC job before Wade was hired and the Bengals didn't allow him to interview for the job. I think Shanahan is the favorite, but it wouldn't shock me at all if we went with Joseph and then hired a high profile OC.

3 - Said it in the other thread, Reid is a good coach. KC should sign him to an extension.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #68
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

1 - The Colts GM is simply Dreadful. Take away the dream pick of Luck and this IS the Cleveland Browns.

Agree

A GM should be judged on head coach hirings, free agency, and the draft. Not the ability of his QB to make the team respectable in an awful division.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #69
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Gregg Williams the new DC in Cleveland.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #70
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

Well, I DID just win a Superbowl with my FOF8 team. I accept. Is Trent Richardson still on the board? I'm gambling on X-factor.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #71
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I doubt he'll ever stop being Joey Porter.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #72
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Jacksonville Jaguars planning to hire Tom Coughlin as executive VP, Doug Marrone as head coach

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery...c-275c782c64d6

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-09-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:11 PM   #73
TroyF
Coordinator

Ummm. . . . say what? What a horrific hire.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #74
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Ummm. . . . say what? What a horrific hire.

The guy won at Syracuse and Buffalo. Why wouldn't he be able to in Jacksonville?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #75
bhlloy
Coordinator

Won as in "lost over half his games" won?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #76
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Won as in "lost over half his games" won?

Won as in went to two bowl games in four years at Syracuse and won both. Won as in took the Bills to their first winning season in ten years in his second year there.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:27 AM   #77
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that Marrone is a solid hire. Maybe teams aren't knocking down his door but he was solid in Buffalo. Remember that he only quit cause he had the option of getting paid when ownership switched hands. His record was 15-17 with (a rookie) EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel and 75 year old Kyle Orton as his starters.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #78
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And given the insanity in Buffalo at the end of the season, it surely looks like he made a good decision to get out with his reputation intact.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #79
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Marrone has a solid reputation. He quit in Buffalo--he wasn't fired. He may or may not work out, but I'd rather him than a lot of the other names being thrown around out there.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #80
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If I had to pick a coach from the current crop, I think I'd go Kyle Shanahan. Matt Ryan was an underachiever till he showed up; now he's neck and neck with Brady for MVP. And he also seems a little ahead of the curve, building a high-power offense in the post-spread world. He's doing it with base personnel and a running game. And his dad was a coach, so you got that whole "been around football his whole life" thing going on.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #81
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
If I had to pick a coach from the current crop, I think I'd go Kyle Shanahan. Matt Ryan was an underachiever till he showed up; now he's neck and neck with Brady for MVP. And he also seems a little ahead of the curve, building a high-power offense in the post-spread world. He's doing it with base personnel and a running game. And his dad was a coach, so you got that whole "been around football his whole life" thing going on.

He also coaxed a good year out of RGIII who can't read a defense, drop back in the pocket, or slide.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #82
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yeah, I'm fairly certain that Marrone is a solid hire. Maybe teams aren't knocking down his door but he was solid in Buffalo. Remember that he only quit cause he had the option of getting paid when ownership switched hands. His record was 15-17 with (a rookie) EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel and 75 year old Kyle Orton as his starters.

I guess we'll see. Maybe I'm wrong about him. I really thought the Jags would try to get a proven NFL winner this time, not go down retread AVE or new coach Blvd. Not saying there are a ton of those guys out there, but I thought there were better than Marrone. Maybe I'm just underestimating how good of a coach he is. We'll see next year.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Jags surely should have some continuity since Marrone has already been on staff. At this point his fate is tied into Bortles. If Bortles shows improvement they should go 9-7 or so next year. If he's a dumpster fire, the Jags will start over in 2 years
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #84
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

As a Broncos fan I'm crossing my fingers for Shanahan.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #85
Kodos
Resident Alien

Vance Joseph expected to be hired as Broncos coach - NFL.com

Looks like the Broncos will hire Vance Joseph.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #86
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Vance Joseph is a good young coach. Happy for him to get the plum coaching gig open.

Now I just hope that some team takes Shanahan out of the NFC West.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #87
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Bills closing in on hiring Sean McDermott as coach

Interesting move. Supposedly he's going to try and bring McCoy in as the OC.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #88
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Is it wrong to hope for some sort of horrible scandal that forces the Bears to fire John Fox?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #89
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Is it wrong to hope for some sort of horrible scandal that forces the Bears to fire John Fox?

What?

I really like the job John Fox is doing with the Bears.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #90
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

That is the way I felt when he was here as the Broncos coach.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #91
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So now that L.A. is full, what city will owners use to blackmail cities into bad stadium deals? San Diego? Las Vegas? Oakland if the Raiders leave? Saint Louis? London?

None of those have quite the same cache as "We're gonna move to L.A."
Old 01-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #92
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Chargers plan to play at StubHub Center in 2017-18 | ProFootballTalk

If you were to tell me 10 years ago that "until their stadium is built, a football team is playing in an MLS stadium", I never would have believed you. It's usually the other way around. Great news for the Galaxy and MLS, to be honest. Should be fun to see a football game (on TV) in such a cozy setting as well.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #93
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

If you were to tell me 10 years ago that "until their stadium is built, a football team is playing in an MLS stadium", I never would have believed you. It's usually the other way around. Great news for the Galaxy and MLS, to be honest. Should be fun to see a football game (on TV) in such a cozy setting as well.

Yea I have been trying to figure out if this was some ploy to get another venue (like the Rose Bowl) to jump in, since that almost seems too small to be worth it.

BTW, it can't be the Rose Bowl, anyway, unless the City of Pasadena has changed its rules about how it allows the Rose Bowl to be operated.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #94
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

If it can't be the Rose Bowl, that's really the only other place they can play in LA, right?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #95
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that it's a fun gimmick for a couple of years. Tickets will be scarce, which will contrast to the acres of empty seats at Rams games. And it might let them build up a bit of a cool scrappy outsidery kind of image.

And the franchise will double in value, so a couple years of shitty ticket revenue isn't that big of a deal.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #96
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Should have just moved to Vegas and played at Sam Boyd for two years like the Oilers did when they stopped off in Memphis for two year while Nashville built the stadium.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #97
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

and they already have a new logo out? Jesus they moved on quick... Just make our stuff look like the Dodgers fam.

murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #98
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If it can't be the Rose Bowl, that's really the only other place they can play in LA, right?

The other option is the Coliseum, switching off with the Rams.

They could also try to get either local baseball stadium to be a temporary home, but there are always problems when you combine the two usages.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #99
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wait...so I go to work for the day and when I come back, I find that my team has hired the kid who played Dan Quayle on those old SNL skits to be the new head coach?

Old 01-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #100
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wait...so I go to work for the day and when I come back, I find that my team has hired the kid who played Dan Quayle on those old SNL skits to be the new head coach?

McVay is brilliant. I've not heard a single person say otherwise. The moment Gruden handed over playcalling to Sean, the Redskins offense took off. You'll almost definitely end up with Wade Phillips to run the D. Wes Phillips, Wade's son, may leave the Redskins with McVay and he's been really good with our TEs. I've even heard a rumor of Norv Turner coming on at the OC there. That's a pretty smart way to go for the youngest HC ever.