Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #51
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Sid Meier inspired Panzer General sounds like a great twist for the Civ franchise.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 02-19-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #52
Sgran
High School Varsity

that hexmap really made me think of World of Greyhawk
Old 02-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #53
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Hmm, religion and civics are out? I have seen some very clever custom use of those in some scenarios/mods. I would assume that the same kind of bonuses and cost/benefit will be done another way? What about diplomacy factors that are affected by difference in religions?

I like the move to hex, which have been the fundamental shape of wargames for decades.

Finite resources are good, as long as it is not predictable or static.

Also, what difference does it make to have more than one unit or not in a single hex? Armies and navies do not move together historically? Stacks offer advantages and disadvantages to the gamer but more importantly, it does make for a better AI. Or am I not understanding "no stacking of units"?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #54
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Reading a little bit more, it appears that the size of an offensive unit in a hex is variable, probably depending on city size (to supply) and budget (to support). Not sure about not mixing different kind of units unless the scale of the game really changes (like to a wargame scale).
Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #55
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Hmm, religion and civics are out? I have seen some very clever custom use of those in some scenarios/mods. I would assume that the same kind of bonuses and cost/benefit will be done another way? What about diplomacy factors that are affected by difference in religions?

I think civics were just renamed, not eliminated.

I too, enjoyed the religious aspects, but found "Great People" to be tremendously overrated.

I do think religion was a bit too heavily weighted in diplomacy though - it seemed to me that it was the only thing that really mattered in your relations with other countries.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #56
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Maybe the civics will be changed to something more like the options found in SMAC, which I thought was a good system.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #57
KWhit
Coordinator

I just want a SMAC 2, dammit.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Chases of that are slim to none. Unless Take2 gets bought out by EA.. or sells Firaxis to EA!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #59
Celeval
Pro Starter

I'll be buying this twice.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #60
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I assumed that one hex would have a finite source of horses, but that number wouldn't necessarily be 1. It's hard to imagine 1 unit requiring an entire hex to supply it exclusively - unless the military unit setup has changed drastically.

So maybe you could find a big source of oil (though still finite), or a small source of oil. That would be pretty cool.

If they're doing it right, the game would be able to track renewable versus non-renewable resources. Things like cows and horses ought, in theory, to be renewable. Oil or gold...not so much.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #61
saldana
Pro Starter

this has the potential to be utterly disasterous for me...there is no way i can NOT but this day one, but if it comes out at the same time as WoW Cataclysm, i am going to literally need to take a week off of work so i can play one game during the day and one at night....sleep will be optional.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #62
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
If they're doing it right, the game would be able to track renewable versus non-renewable resources. Things like cows and horses ought, in theory, to be renewable. Oil or gold...not so much.

I agree with that.

Regarding civics, I think they can incorporate the bonues/penalties in various ways. Here's an example of what can done to expand civics, fwiw (from the very bloated Rise of Mankind)

Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #63
Nice Guy Eddie
Banned

no mac version
Nice Guy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote