Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2006, 10:44 PM   #51
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
One thing I am afraid of it everyone forgetting that this is an alpha version. You can tell where they are going and when more and more things get added, this game is really going to rock.

There is no doubt in my mind that this game has huge potential and when it evolves a couple more versions, I'll be more than willing to come back to it. It is a good glimpse at the potential of the game. However, in its current state it becomes overwhelming quite quickly.

Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:21 AM   #52
firebirds
n00b

I've been playing the game for few weeks now. I've got one where I'm in my 5th season with 100+ dwarves and another in my 3rd season with 80+. The thing I've found to cut down on the micromanagement issue is to set certain workshops with repetitive tasks, especially those that you don't/shouldn't have worries/options about. I have set a wood furnace to repeat the "make charcoal" task, my fishery set to repeat "prepair raw fish", the smelter I bounce between "make silver bars" and "make gold bars". I use the manager to set large orders for the masons, craftdwarves, metalsmiths, etc. I have also added the butchery skill to my hunters and trappers so that when they return a kill they automatically dress and store the meat, same goes with the fisherdwarves. By doing this I can pretty much concentrate on where to mine, what areas will be defined for particular purposes, monitor stock piles and the like. At the beginning when the dwarf number is small it is pretty easy to monitor each one but once critical mass hits it is really tough to stay up with everything so I automate as much as I can. It has been working for me so far anyway. I must admit that one of my games is heading the way of the dodo bird. I can't grow/slaughter/hunt/trap enough food for the entire crew. Wish about a dozen or so particular residents would decide to die and/or bail on me.
firebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #53
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Heh. My game went biblical:

I don't know if I had my farming room flooding too long or something but, in the end, EVERYTHING was flooded. Including the outside. THAT was funny.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #54
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
I don't know if I had my farming room flooding too long or something but, in the end, EVERYTHING was flooded. Including the outside. THAT was funny.

Wait until you do it with the lava.

:-D
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:59 AM   #55
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I can totally see what some of the folks are saying (about there becoming too much micromanagement later on). I can absolutely see myself giving this game up once my settlement gets past 30 or so people (in fact, that was when the flooded settlement started to become unruly). For now, though, I'm still having fun tinkering with it.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #56
Runtheball
High School JV

Newly hooked on this game.
The wiki and help files are pretty poor, and I'm hoping someone here can give a few tips that will make my dwarves lives a little easier.

Why can't my cook prepare any meals? I have multiple types of meat, and I'm beginning to grow plants by the river. It always says the cook needs 2 non-rotten cookable items. How long do fish and meat remain edible? I can see in my stockpile I have many of each.

How can I clean-up the mud from a recent flooding of my fortress? I've taken a couple dwarves and given them only Cleaning as their labor tasks, but they don't clean the mud. I've got saplings growing in there!
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #57
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtheball View Post
Newly hooked on this game.
The wiki and help files are pretty poor, and I'm hoping someone here can give a few tips that will make my dwarves lives a little easier.

Why can't my cook prepare any meals? I have multiple types of meat, and I'm beginning to grow plants by the river. It always says the cook needs 2 non-rotten cookable items. How long do fish and meat remain edible? I can see in my stockpile I have many of each.

How can I clean-up the mud from a recent flooding of my fortress? I've taken a couple dwarves and given them only Cleaning as their labor tasks, but they don't clean the mud. I've got saplings growing in there!

re: cook - do you have a kitchen? do you have someone assigned to only cook? is the meat prepared? how about the fish?

re: mud - you want the mud. it's where you grow crops. cleaning dwarves take out trash, but mud remains. it will disappear after a year, anyway.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:07 PM   #58
Runtheball
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
re: cook - do you have a kitchen? do you have someone assigned to only cook? is the meat prepared? how about the fish?
I'm sure the fish is prepared. I believe the meat is also. Would it be moved to a food stockpile even if it's not prepared? Does it need to be placed in some kind of container?
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:35 PM   #59
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtheball View Post
I'm sure the fish is prepared. I believe the meat is also. Would it be moved to a food stockpile even if it's not prepared? Does it need to be placed in some kind of container?

i think it's stockpiled before, and after, it's prepared. They put raw meat and fish in the storage area, then run out and grab them to prepare them in a kitchen or fishery. It can be confusing, but i think they are clearly marked as prepared after the deed is done.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #60
Airhog
Captain Obvious

DF has undergone many changes since it was last talked about, the most significant is the ability to go up and down now. For those of you that previously played the game, you should check it out again. I think the game now is actually easier in the beginning, but not 100% sure here

For those of you that think it was too complex, take a look at this amazing tutorial. I played it all weekend. It has a link to the game files, and a saved game to help you start out right. By the time you finish the tutorial you should have a grasp of all of the major concepts. This tutorial is not using the latest version though, I think it is using the version before the newest one, but if its your first time playing it doesn't really matter

The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress – Part 1: “WTF?” « After Action Reporter

I'm currently playing my first fortress as part of the tutorial, I just got my first wave of immigrants and my second trade caravan. I am currently working on setting up my metalworking, as I have just discovered a magma pool.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #61
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I owe it to myself to get around to playing this game sometime soon.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #62
Tasan
College Starter

Yikes. Just lost 4 hours of my day there. Careful folks, this stuff is dangerous.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #63
Khorium
n00b

Still working with crappy ASCII I see.

Pass.
Khorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #64
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorium View Post
Still working with crappy ASCII I see.

Pass.

The tutorial uses a tileset (and you can get a tileset for the new version too)...it's not anything close to 'good' graphically, but it makes all the difference between playing straight ASCII, in my opinion.

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-03-2010 at 07:40 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #65
gstelmack
Pro Starter

There's another one that looks pretty good as well by Pheobus: Phoebus' Graphic Set v1.7.3 for DF v0.31.03 (New font, tiles & bugfixes).

Not sure which one to go with, may have to go with the tutorial one just to help with the learning.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:06 AM   #66
Icy
Pro Starter

The game looks really deep and i have thought about learning it for some time, but the ascii graphics always turned me down. I don't mind old graphics in games, but can't enjoy with just ascii.

Now that you guys posted alternative graphics that are not ascii.... i might give it a try this summer once i have a more relaxed schedule.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #67
Celeval
Pro Starter

There are plenty of graphic sets out there - although I prefer the ascii.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #68
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I would hold off on 2010 version, and stick with the d40 version. There are still some significant bugs to be worked out of the 2010 version. It is pretty playable for the most part though. (Hospitals are broken mostly, and combat is more difficult and some stuff is broke)

Old 05-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #69
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I'm just to the point where I am about to start making metal items. I also lost my first dwarf in the river. He was fishing, and a pike killed him.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #70
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
There are plenty of graphic sets out there - although I prefer the ascii.

Reminds me of Moria back in the day. I haven't tried DF yet, but I'm sure I would have to go with the ascii if I did.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #71
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog View Post
I'm just to the point where I am about to start making metal items. I also lost my first dwarf in the river. He was fishing, and a pike killed him.

Pikes are deadly, deadly creatures in this game. Fisherdwarfs beware!

I burned my whole freakin' day on this game.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #72
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Pikes are deadly, deadly creatures in this game. Fisherdwarfs beware!

I burned my whole freakin' day on this game.

Lucky for me, the dwarf killed was fresh off the boat, and hadn't made any friends yet. So nobody really cared that he was killed. One thing was wierd though. He was buried in a coffin that I had built, yet he remains are still at the bottom of the river.

Last edited by Airhog : 05-06-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #73
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hello Dwarf Fortress fans! I don't play myself (though I should), I admire the game and thought those who do play it would like to know that there's an update for the first time in two years!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/08/dw...older-version/
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #74
Bobble
College Prospect

I was playing DF just yesterday with the Masterwork mod. Definitely looking forward to the new version but I'm going to wait for a while until the most *FUN* bugs are found.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #75
Bobble
College Prospect

I'm downloading the latest lazy newb pack now. Anyone else playing the latest version?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote