Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #51
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
So, if MSU, OSU, and Wisconsin win, who would play in the conference title game if this was next year? Would MSU be left out due to the lower BCS ranking and being one part of the only matchup that hadn't been played?

Next year, everyone plays teams in their own division, so the unplayed matchup problem wouldn't happen. Seems like you'd have to say MSU-Wisconsin, since MSU is the only team in its division with a 7-1 record, and Wisconsin beat Ohio State in the other division.

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #52
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I would. They just took Arkansas to overtime and played really well in the process. Try looking at the record of the only teams to beat them.

You could do this with Michigan you know.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #53
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I would. They just took Arkansas to overtime and played really well in the process. Try looking at the record of the only teams to beat them.

Hey, I realize you are an SEC homer. But would you not consider that maybe the OT game is an indication of Arkansas more than it is of MSU?
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #54
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
You could do this with Michigan you know.

Really? Which top 10 or 15 team did Michigan just take into overtime?

Last edited by MJ4H : 11-24-2010 at 12:35 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #55
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Hey, I realize you are an SEC homer. But would you not consider that maybe the OT game is an indication of Arkansas more than it is of MSU?

No, I watched both teams all season. Most people seem to think Arkansas is at least a top 15 team, some a top 10 team. I think you are in the minority if you don't think so. This is not a homer opinion.

Last edited by MJ4H : 11-24-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #56
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Really? Which top 10 or 15 team did Michigan just take into overtime?

It's more in regards to the "look at who beat them" comment.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #57
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
No, I watched both teams all season.

Well then let's agree to disagree.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #58
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
It's more in regards to the "look at who beat them" comment.

If that were the only argument I made, you might have something. However, Michigan isn't a terrible team, either. I understand they have defensive issues, but it isn't as if they are Vanderbilt or something.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #59
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
If that were the only argument I made, you might have something. However, Michigan isn't a terrible team, either. I understand they have defensive issues, but it isn't as if they are Vanderbilt or something.

You obviously haven't watched Michigan this year. Or last. Or the year before that.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #60
MJ4H
Coordinator

Do you think Vanderbilt would beat them?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
When presidents and college football big wigs start talking about "student athletes" and refer to "professionalism" as a dirty word, what they're really doing is trying to justify the sweet slave labor system they have.

Was thinking this.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #62
Jon
High School Varsity

Rutgers' Eric LeGrand update:
He has been taken off of a ventilator and is now breathing on his own. They have also reclassified his spinal cord injury from a complete spinal cord injury to an incomplete spinal cord injury. First good news out in a while.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #63
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Do you think Vanderbilt would beat them?

You might be going a little extreme with this one. However, I think it would be closer than you think. I have never seen a worse defensive team in my life than the current Michigan Wolverines. They almost lost to Indiana (probably should have), nearly lost to UMass as well (probably should have), nearly lost to Notre Dame (probably should have), and nearly lost to Illinois (probably should have). They could very easily be 3-8 and RR would probably be gone.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #64
MJ4H
Coordinator

I haven't watched Michigan this year. Worst defensive team ever sounds pretty bad. I'll try to watch a game.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #65
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Rutgers' Eric LeGrand update:
He has been taken off of a ventilator and is now breathing on his own. They have also reclassified his spinal cord injury from a complete spinal cord injury to an incomplete spinal cord injury. First good news out in a while.

bELieve
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #66
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
When presidents and college football big wigs start talking about "student athletes" and refer to "professionalism" as a dirty word, what they're really doing is trying to justify the sweet slave labor system they have.

Ding, ding, ding.

Exactly.

Not only that, but he's ensuring his school has it great. Bash the smaller conference schools for playing a weak schedule and then say that those same schools have zero right to prove themselves in a BSC game. (because we know when the smaller schools have played in BSC games the bigger school has always destroyed them, right Oklahoma/Alabama?)

I'm sure Boise and TCU would love to improve their schedule Ohio State. Why don't you go ahead and schedule a home and home with them instead of playing Eastern Michigan?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #67
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I haven't watched Michigan this year. Worst defensive team ever sounds pretty bad. I'll try to watch a game.

Worst defensive team in college football that I have ever seen is what I said. A little different than how you phrased it. However, I would not recommend you watch a game at this point, especially this next one.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #68
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah I know, I just didnt type it all out.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #69
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Ding, ding, ding.

Exactly.

Not only that, but he's ensuring his school has it great. Bash the smaller conference schools for playing a weak schedule and then say that those same schools have zero right to prove themselves in a BSC game. (because we know when the smaller schools have played in BSC games the bigger school has always destroyed them, right Oklahoma/Alabama?)

I'm sure Boise and TCU would love to improve their schedule Ohio State. Why don't you go ahead and schedule a home and home with them instead of playing Eastern Michigan?

Why would Boise State or TCU want to improve their schedule? They play scrubs all year and still get considered for the national championship game.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #71
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Why would Boise State or TCU want to improve their schedule? They play scrubs all year and still get considered for the national championship game.

Is it just me or do the SEC die-hards seem especially sensitive and defensive this year? Perhaps it's bitterness that teams with a fraction of the athletic budgets (and a fraction of the cheating) are having so much success, and getting so much recognition?

Last edited by molson : 11-24-2010 at 04:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #72
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Come on now, fellas. This is the president of Ohio State. If he came out and didn't say something "wrong" and "ridiculous" it would be newsworthy. The fact that he did say a bunch of things that were "wrong" and "ridiculous" is just Ohio State being Ohio State.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #73
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is it just me or do the SEC die-hards seem especially sensitive and defensive this year? Perhaps it's bitterness that teams with a fraction of the athletic budgets (and a fraction of the cheating) are having so much success, and getting so much recognition?

I'm not exactly a SEC die-hard. I grew up on the Michigan/Ohio border and rooted for Toledo and Michigan.

Nowadays I'll root for Alabama/Auburn just because they're local but they're not exactly my favorite teams.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #74
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

Well, he does have a point. What is the incentive to improve their schedule?
Old 11-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #75
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Come on now, fellas. This is the president of Ohio State. If he came out and didn't say something "wrong" and "ridiculous" it would be newsworthy. The fact that he did say a bunch of things that were "wrong" and "ridiculous" is just Ohio State being Ohio State.

Remember, it's The Ohio State University.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The college football fan who doesn't really like the football part of it or know jack shit about it.

You mean the ones who laughably believe that Boise is anything better than a 2-3 loss team if they played in an even halfway legit conference?
Old 11-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
right Oklahoma/Alabama?)

Right Hawaii.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #78
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Who hates Iowa?

I hate Iowa!
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #79
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Well, he does have a point. What is the incentive to improve their schedule?

Same as any other team, money, prestige, recruiting, branding, chances at the BCS and a national championship.

This is why Boise St. schedule Virginia Tech and Oregon St this season, and Georgia, Ole Miss, Michigan St. in future season, and is moving to the Mountain West. It's not their fault Tech lost to James Madison and Oregon St. crapped the bed after being ranked earlier in the season.

People have a very limited view of things that doesn't look past the single season that we're in. I'm tired of the SEC fan whining. If you don't like the setup, play fewer 1-AA schools, or leave your conference if you think you get such a raw deal.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #80
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Same as any other team, money, prestige, recruiting, branding, chances at the BCS and a national championship.

But they are getting all of these things without improving their schedule.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #81
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You mean the ones who laughably believe that Boise is anything better than a 2-3 loss team if they played in an even halfway legit conference?

C'mon Jon you are smarter than this.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #82
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Except for a chance at a title and respect for what they do on the field, you are correct.

Nobody outside of Maisel, Herbstreit, and people in the Pacific Northwest have any idea how good BSU actually is. Too bad the rest of the country (SEC and Big 10 homers in particular) can't take the blinders off long enough to see the light.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #83
molson
General Manager

Quote:

They won the national championship already, awesome!

I don't understand your point. They have improved the schedule, they continue to do so, and those games, along with BCS bowl wins, have advanced the program forward, helped it increase it's general reputation and fanbase and brand recognition, and earned them an invitation into a conference ranked, by most independent criteria I've seen, ahead of at least two current BCS conferences.

Last edited by molson : 11-24-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #84
molson
General Manager

You can only define success for a team/athletic program on a case-by-case basis. Boise St. has been hugely successful by any measure. That SHOULD be a positive story - until the moment they become clearly competitive with more traditional powers that have tons of inherent advantages. Then all of the sudden they become a villian to the southern football weirdos.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #85
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Except for a chance at a title and respect for what they do on the field, you are correct.

Nobody outside of Maisel, Herbstreit, and people in the Pacific Northwest have any idea how good BSU actually is. Too bad the rest of the country (SEC and Big 10 homers in particular) can't take the blinders off long enough to see the light.

I think people understand how good their first team is. The problem is that they don't have the quality depth behind that.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #86
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

Yeah, Arkansas State, Louisiana Monroe, and Chattanooga are awesome opponents for the 2nd ranked Auburn Tigers. Wait, Alabama's schedule is better with the likes of San Jose State, Duke, and Georgia State. No, wait. Ohio State must have the toughest opponents, including Marshall, Ohio, and Eastern Michigan.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #87
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
They won the national championship already, awesome!

They are contending for a berth in the title game and are a BCS bowl regular.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #88
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
You can only define success for a team/athletic program on a case-by-case basis. Boise St. has been hugely successful by any measure. That SHOULD be a positive story - until the moment they become clearly competitive with more traditional powers that have tons of inherent advantages. Then all of the sudden they become a villian to the southern football weirdos.

Thread winner.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #89
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, Arkansas State, Louisiana Monroe, and Chattanooga are awesome opponents for the 2nd ranked Auburn Tigers. Wait, Alabama's schedule is better with the likes of San Jose State, Duke, and Georgia State. No, wait. Ohio State must have the toughest opponents, including Marshall, Ohio, and Eastern Michigan.

What are the strength of schedule ranking for Auburn, Alabama, and Ohio State?
Old 11-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #90
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I think people understand how good their first team is. The problem is that they don't have the quality depth behind that.

Is there some evidence that you can point to support this common argument that SEC schools are so brutalized by their schedule that they're down to their 3rd string guys by this time of year? Or in general, are there more injuries in SEC games than games involving any other conference?
Old 11-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #91
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

They are not a villain to me, to be sure. My problem is with the flawed system, not Boise State.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #92
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

I guess that is why the 3rd and 4th string running backs are averaging between 5.4-8.9 ypc. Oh, and the two starting running backs have 9 and 10 td's between them.

Yep, no depth there.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #93
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Is there some evidence that you can point to support this common argument that SEC schools are so brutalized by their schedule that they're down to their 3rd string guys by this time of year? Or in general, are there more injuries in SEC games than games involving any other conference?

Compare their strength of schedules. I can't believe people seriously try this argument. When Arkansas plays a team that is the caliber of team that Boise State or TCU plays almost weekly, we jokingly call it a bye week. It isn't far from the truth. We rest our starters for most of the game.

Imagine having a bye week nearly every week of the season.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #94
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess that is why the 3rd and 4th string running backs are averaging between 5.4-8.9 ypc. Oh, and the two starting running backs have 9 and 10 td's between them.

Yep, no depth there.

Against abyssmal competition. And showing that there is some depth at one position doesn't address every other position on the field, even if that weren't the case.

Last edited by MJ4H : 11-24-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #95
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
They are not a villain to me, to be sure. My problem is with the flawed system, not Boise State.

Something we can agree upon.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #96
molson
General Manager

Quote:

They are contending for a berth in the title game and are a BCS bowl regular.

And they'll get that title game as long as they go undefeated, AND if there's no more than exactly ONE other undefeated BCS team or fewer, AND at least a few of their opponents end up ranked at the end of the season (and even then, there's no guarantee.)

I don't think they're scheduling years in advance with that scenerio in mind as a given every year.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #97
bronconick
College Starter

Outside of the SEC West, there isn't exactly this pile up of great teams that Boise would struggle against in a back to back to back or even playing 3 top teams over a 5-6 week span. That bleeds over into the SEC East as far as SOS goes, since I don't think any dodge all of LSU/Arky/Auburn/Alabama.

As of right now, Ohio State has beaten one currently ranked team, for example. They had their one game vs. a top ten opponent surrounded by 3 games vs. awful Big Ten opponents.

The only real difference in beating San Jose State and beating Minnesota is how long it takes to bring the backups in if you're a legit top ten team.

Sagarin SOS rankings
Ohio State 59
Wisconsin 61
TCU 68
Boise State 73
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #98
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Something we can agree upon.

Please be careful to note that I have nothing against any of the smaller teams, nor any particular attachment to southern teams or whatever weird stuff you are attributing to me. I only argue that the system is horrible and needs changing.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #99
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Against abyssmal competition.

Really? This is your argument? See my above post regarding those awesome opponents the SEC faces week after brutal week.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #100
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Compare their strength of schedules. I can't believe people seriously try this argument. When Arkansas plays a team that is the caliber of team that Boise State or TCU plays almost weekly, we jokingly call it a bye week. It isn't far from the truth. We rest our starters for most of the game.

Imagine having a bye week nearly every week of the season.

If it's unfair for Bosie St. to be considered for BCS bowls, and if the SEC has it so darn tough - would you favor Arkansas moving to a weaker conference? Maybe the Big East?

Last edited by molson : 11-24-2010 at 04:56 PM.