Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2016, 05:56 AM   #51
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Definitely didn't see the Pagano extension coming.

BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:25 AM   #52
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Let me give you an example iof my own history,

As a gift, a friend of mine bought two tickets to see a Browns game at Cleveland, when they hosted my Jags. So we drove to Cleveland and arrived a bit before the game started. We paid for parking, and walked to the game. Then we showed the tickets and purchased a program, and two of those hot things to keep your hands warm cause it was colder than we expected. After the game we walked around Cleveland and explored, walked a few blocks, ate at a sit down restraint, and shopped in three stores, buying things in two of them.

These financial exchanges happened:

1). Two Browns tickets purchased
2). Parking paid for off site
3). 1 Program and 2 warmers purchased at Browns Stadium
4). 2 meals at a sit down restaurant
5). Purchases at two local stores

I don;t know how much Cleveland gets in taxes, revenue, and such. But certainly, you can say that we contributed $$ to the city of Cleveland. I doubt that experience was atypical. There were other people in the restaurant who had been at the game as well.

Sure, that's good for the city, but it only happens 8x per year.

And while you probably wouldn't have spent your money in Cleveland otherwise, for residents of the city, item #1 is a redistribution of entertainment dollars rather than an influx of new cash.

Your experience is true and valid and real, but the question is whether that experience is worth an investment of hundreds upon hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:50 AM   #53
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Let me give you an example iof my own history,

As a gift, a friend of mine bought two tickets to see a Browns game at Cleveland, when they hosted my Jags. So we drove to Cleveland and arrived a bit before the game started. We paid for parking, and walked to the game. Then we showed the tickets and purchased a program, and two of those hot things to keep your hands warm cause it was colder than we expected. After the game we walked around Cleveland and explored, walked a few blocks, ate at a sit down restraint, and shopped in three stores, buying things in two of them.

These financial exchanges happened:

1). Two Browns tickets purchased
2). Parking paid for off site
3). 1 Program and 2 warmers purchased at Browns Stadium
4). 2 meals at a sit down restaurant
5). Purchases at two local stores

I don;t know how much Cleveland gets in taxes, revenue, and such. But certainly, you can say that we contributed $$ to the city of Cleveland. I doubt that experience was atypical. There were other people in the restaurant who had been at the game as well.

Even conceding all of this as normal (which you would admit is a bit of a stretch for every tailgater/restaurant eater there is a guy who will drive down for just the game) it isn't even the crux of the issue with St. Louis, San Diego, and Oakland. They all have a stadium where you could do everything you described at. These owners want the taxpayers to subsidize a new stadium because the current one isn't "good enough". That is what I take issue with.

EDIT: Though to be fair the Raider's grass/dirt baseball field would probably rank 32 out of 32 if I were ranking the stadiums.

Last edited by panerd : 01-05-2016 at 07:07 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #54
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
It turns out, according to experts, that a new stadium has about the same economic impact as a small strip mall. Too many temporary jobs.

See, if only you didn't have me on ignore.

Quote:

As others have pointed out (and research has, too), it simply doesn't scale the way those lobbying for the stadia says it does.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #55
QuikSand
lolzcat

Browns try to go analytic-minded and hire moneyball acolyte Paul Depodesta from the Mets.

I mean - it has to get better there, right? It almost has to.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #56
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Browns try to go analytic-minded and hire moneyball acolyte Paul Depodesta from the Mets.

I'm not opposed to the hire. But Haslem has to give Depodesta time. He can't be continually pulling the plug after one or two seasons.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #57
Klinglerware
College Starter

They need to find a quarterback who can get on base more...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #58
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Dolphins showing interest in former Falcons head coach Mike Smith.

They could do better.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #59
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

I think this is one of those situations where if you say "well, it can't get worse", it absolutely will.

So, to help Browns fans out I'm going to say it's going to get even worse before it gets better. You're welcome.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #60
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

They could do better.

If they aren't going to go for a home-run, they should just keep Campbell who went 5-7 as the interim guy. Not bad considering both coordinators were fired in-season.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Good luck with that.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #62
miked
College Starter

What is so bad about Mike Smith? He guided the Falcons to the playoffs in 3 of his first 4 seasons including a trip to the NFC title game. He had 2 bad games, but some of their signings were pretty bad. Steven Jackson, come on.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #63
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

It really sucks losing him. I was hoping whenever Alderson steps down Depodesta would be the replacement. The job he did rebuilding the Mets farm system is incredible and the guy is smart enough to learn the NFL quickly. If the Browns give him time and don't interfere he'll get them competitive.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #64
MrBug708
Head Coach

Depodesta?

Lol
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:55 PM   #65
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
If the Browns give him time and don't interfere

[joke left as exercise for the reader]
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #66
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Depodesta?

Lol

Yes, the guy McCourt let Plaschke and Simers pressure him into firing.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #67
MrBug708
Head Coach

If it weren't for Malone, worst GM ever
Old 01-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
What is so bad about Mike Smith? He guided the Falcons to the playoffs in 3 of his first 4 seasons including a trip to the NFC title game. He had 2 bad games, but some of their signings were pretty bad. Steven Jackson, come on.

Comical clock management, the inability to lead starving dogs to fresh meat, frequently appeared simply overmatched for the job.

His ceiling is a low one.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #69
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
What is so bad about Mike Smith?

I'm just not interested in a retread.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #70
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Maybe he just got too much, too soon. He was widely credited with doing a lot of great things internally for the Mets, and it sounds like he'll be doing similar things with the Browns. Doesn't seem like he's making the #2 overall pick or whatever.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #71
Logan
Head Coach

BTW what odds would you need to take to wager on both Pagano and Grigson making it more than 2 years into their new 4 year deals?
Old 01-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #72
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

He brought in Kent, Lowe, and JD Drew all of whom played well for the Dodgers.

He flipped Jason Frasor For Jayson Werth. Flipped Steve Colyer for Cody Ross.

The only move that could really be spun as bad that he made was the Lo Duca/Encarnacion trade which did bring in Brad Penny who pitched well from '05-'07.

He also drafted Carlos Santana, Kenley Jansen, David Price (who didn't sign), and didn't trade away the top prospects White had brought in during his time as GM.

If that's your worst GM ever then life is pretty damned good.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #73
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
BTW what odds would you need to take to wager on both Pagano and Grigson making it more than 2 years into their new 4 year deals?

I think this depends largely on Andrew Luck's health.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #74
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He brought in Kent, Lowe, and JD Drew all of whom played well for the Dodgers.

He flipped Jason Frasor For Jayson Werth. Flipped Steve Colyer for Cody Ross.

The only move that could really be spun as bad that he made was the Lo Duca/Encarnacion trade which did bring in Brad Penny who pitched well from '05-'07.

He also drafted Carlos Santana, Kenley Jansen, David Price (who didn't sign), and didn't trade away the top prospects White had brought in during his time as GM.

If that's your worst GM ever then life is pretty damned good.
Second worst. But he did suck enough for us to land the pick for Kershaw
Old 01-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #75
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

So...they're probably going to acquire Michael Oher then?
Old 01-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #76
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
So...they're probably going to acquire Michael Oher then?

Of course....his 86 overall rating is better than their current 82 overall in Madden.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #77
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Not if the owner continues to get draft advice from the homeless.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #78
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Count me as very skeptical that Depodesta will work out. What's he going to end up doing that a GM or head coach will be comfortable with? It seems like a power struggle is inevitable. Now if he becomes the GM with a solid football mind as assistant, maybe it can work.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:37 PM   #79
sabotai
General Manager

Giants are interviewing their two coordinators (McAdoo and Spags) but also added to the list of interviewees are Carolina's DC Sean McDermott, Bears OC Adam Gase and former Bills HC Doug Marrone. I'm sure there's a lot to the story and that he probably had good reasons (at least good in his mind), but it doesn't sit well with me as a fan that Marrone bailed on Buffalo after two seasons. I'd prefer McDermott out of the pack. But he's also being targeted by Philly and considering he spent most of his career there, he'd probably choose them over NY.

(Edit: There's a lot of interest in Sean Payton among fans, but I haven't seen anything about him being interviewed yet).

Last edited by sabotai : 01-05-2016 at 11:39 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #80
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Giants are interviewing their two coordinators (McAdoo and Spags) but also added to the list of interviewees are Carolina's DC Sean McDermott, Bears OC Adam Gase and former Bills HC Doug Marrone. I'm sure there's a lot to the story and that he probably had good reasons (at least good in his mind), but it doesn't sit well with me as a fan that Marrone bailed on Buffalo after two seasons. I'd prefer McDermott out of the pack. But he's also being targeted by Philly and considering he spent most of his career there, he'd probably choose them over NY.

(Edit: There's a lot of interest in Sean Payton among fans, but I haven't seen anything about him being interviewed yet).

My guess based on what I know of the Marra & Tisch families and their thinking (purely speculative here) is that at the moment (pre-interview stage) they would love to attract a Saban type followed by possible interest in Sean Payton. But I suspect they will question how badly either of them really want to win, as that theme seemed to permeate the language they have been using the past few days, as well as Jerry Reese.

And while I think they are open to outside (non-Giants ties) candidates, they won't likely have their socks blown off by Gase or McDermott enough to go against that trend. In the end, I get the feeling that if it isn't Saban, it ends up being McAdoo...as they don't want to lose him & the comfortability factor with Eli.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #81
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I think Adam Gase has the potential to be a really good head coach somewhere. Selfishly I'm hoping he stays with the Bears another year.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #82
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Please let this happen

Report: Titans request to interview former Colts general manager Chris Polian - Stampede Blue
Old 01-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #83
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
According to the Detroit Free Press, "several people who know" Calvin Johnson think he could retire this offseason.

I know he's been beat up the past few years, but I'm still surprised by this.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #84
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Lovie's gone.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #85
sabotai
General Manager

With Jameis Winston as their QB, Chip Kelly to TB would make sense.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #86
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What?

I could see doing it last year since they were so bad, but I thought the team took a good step forward this year
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #87
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It seems like they have to have someone big lined up.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #88
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

They have to have someone lined up.

Though, after a quick look, his defense was 25th in points allowed last year, and 26th this year. Hardly an endorsement for an uber-defensive minded coach.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #89
Dutch
"Dutch"

I was pretty much stunned by the firing of Lovie today. Not that I thought he was a great (or even a good coach) but I figured the Bucs were at least happy for some stability for a change...guess not!

Lots of unhappy Bucs players are taking to Twitter...but the outrage is coming from a collective that went 8-24 the last two seasons...so...we all know the name of the game is to win.

The most interesting comment from a current Bucs players comes from journeyman TE Brandon Myers ‏@myersb83 - "Dirk has been the man since he walked in the door"

It's possible the Bucs were concerned they would lose him as the OC and perhaps will promote him now to HC?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #90
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
They have to have someone lined up.

Though, after a quick look, his defense was 25th in points allowed last year, and 26th this year. Hardly an endorsement for an uber-defensive minded coach.

With all the rule changes to defense the last couple of years, I think it's safe to say that Lovie's implementation of the Tampa-2 has become obsolete.

Might have worked out better if we had a dominant front-4 and a secondary capable of handling the Tampa-2 workload. Neither showed much...our LB's have been stellar though...which might just be a by-product of them doing all the work!
Old 01-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #91
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Peter Schrager ‏@PSchrags 10m10 minutes ago

Told Dirk Koetter was surprised as everyone by this. More to come

Apparently he doesn't know he's the man.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #92
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sean Payton staying in New Orleans.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #93
Thomkal
Head Coach

Seems too early to fire Lovie after getting a franchise QB-not enough time to develop him.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:14 AM   #94
bhlloy
Coordinator

All these owners are doing is surely making it impossible to get a top tier guy in the future when they quickly hook a guy who had a young or terrible team. Who in their right mind is going to go to the 49ers, Browns or to a lesser extent the Bucs for the for the next few years?

All you are doing is getting into a cycle of gambling on a lesser known name and hoping you hit the lottery and he can win in his first year. It doesn't make any sense to me.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:02 AM   #95
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm with you on the 49ers, but I don't think that anyone thinks any less of the franchise ownership because of what happened to Tomsula. That ship sailed last offseason. Then again, this opinion might just be because I'm a jaded fan who is still floored at how quickly the team cratered.

I think the Bucs job will be desirable just because of the talent there.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #96
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Lovie's gone.

I think they meant to fire Louis Van Gaal instead.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #97
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I'm with you on the 49ers, but I don't think that anyone thinks any less of the franchise ownership because of what happened to Tomsula. That ship sailed last offseason. Then again, this opinion might just be because I'm a jaded fan who is still floored at how quickly the team cratered.

I think the Bucs job will be desirable just because of the talent there.

Plenty of coaches will be okay with getting fired after one year and collecting $14 million for the effort, like Tomsula.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #98
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Seems too early to fire Lovie after getting a franchise QB-not enough time to develop him.

Hell, that would be a REASON to fire Lovie, in my mind. Jameis looks like he might be worth something, it's time to dump Lovie and get someone in there who actually is competent at developing QB's.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #99
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Hell, that would be a REASON to fire Lovie, in my mind. Jameis looks like he might be worth something, it's time to dump Lovie and get someone in there who actually is competent at developing QB's.

Perhaps then they should never have hired Lovie in the first place if he had such a bad reputation at developing QB's. They knew they were going to go QB with their first pick with Winston. I'm not a Lovie defender by any means, I just think he wasn't given enough time to develop him is all.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #100
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I don't think they should have. I *never* liked Lovie in Chicago.

But, to be fair, I'm really just trying to come up with various theories to defend the firing - it's definitely one of the more bizarre ones this season.