Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #51
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Hmm interesting. Is there a games played limit or something? Or does the guy who manages to start the most players in a week simply have an advantage? What if my goalies are on teams that only play 1 or 2 games in a week when my opponents goalies are playing 3 or even 4?

I think it all tends to come out in the wash, over the course of the season.

As far as the goalie example, shutouts are pretty rare, and GAA and SV% are obviously not dependent on # of starts, so we're really only talking about wins.

Just my 2 cents.

boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #52
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Hmm interesting. Is there a games played limit or something? Or does the guy who manages to start the most players in a week simply have an advantage? What if my goalies are on teams that only play 1 or 2 games in a week when my opponents goalies are playing 3 or even 4?

You set your lineup Sunday for the game week which runs Monday-Sunday. So once the lineups lock Sunday night/Monday morning (not sure exactly what time it's at) then any changes you make don't take effect until the following game week.

So part of the strategy is getting players in there that have more games/easier opponents/etc, but injuries will also play into your decisions. No streaming means you don't have to be online every day to make roster adjustments and that sort of thing though waivers do take place during the week so that part still requires attention. The biggest area to watch is usually with the goalies to make sure you hit the game minimum (I believe 3?) for the week as some of their stats (Sv% and GAA) are averages so you need to hit the minimum to qualify for those stat categories.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #53
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

When are we starting the draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #54
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think it already started
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #55
Travis
Pro Rookie

I put up what I'd like as the first pick but if that's not cool I can redo later on. Was kind of assuming with the order being sent out that it'd be okay to get going.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #56
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I think it already started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I put up what I'd like as the first pick but if that's not cool I can redo later on. Was kind of assuming with the order being sent out that it'd be okay to get going.

Yeah I saw the Ovechkin pick, but nobody commented so not sure if that was the "official" start or not.

Is there any way to let the next person in the draft know that they are on the clock?

Quote:
Old 09-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #57
Travis
Pro Rookie

I didn't PM anybody in case I was being out of line making that pick. Once we get rolling though I'd assume that'll be the protocol.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #58
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I would suggest that each person picking PM's the person that is after them when they are done, except that apparently my PM feature was taken away.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 09-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #59
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ovechkin #1. What a joke. My all KHL team is going to stomp you all.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #60
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Ovechkin #1. What a joke. My all KHL team is going to stomp you all.

I thought we were drafting for quality of unintentional comedy in commercial spots?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #61
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This has been a bit of a rough start. Anyone seen Chief Rum? I believe he's up. Is he considered to be 'on the clock'?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #62
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
This has been a bit of a rough start. Anyone seen Chief Rum? I believe he's up. Is he considered to be 'on the clock'?

I was wondering the same thing.

Quote:
Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #63
samifan24
Pro Starter

The draft is live now. Please PM the person behind you as a reminder that they're up.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #64
Travis
Pro Rookie

Okay, so just to be official in case it's needed:

1.1 LW Alex Ovechkin - WSH
Old 09-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #65
boberot
High School Varsity

Anybody know whether or not I'll be able to PM Fidatelo totell him he's up?
Old 09-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #66
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
Anybody know whether or not I'll be able to PM Fidatelo totell him he's up?

Ya I seem to be able to receive 'em, it was the ones I sent out to Samifan that weren't going through. I'll also try to tell the person after me, see if maybe it's just something with me and Samifan.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #67
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

Lol, just checked who is after me in the order.... Samifan

Is this snake-style? If so, then I can try it with boberot on the way back up through round 2.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #68
boberot
High School Varsity

yup, snake-style.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:42 PM   #69
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, guys, as of last night, nothing was yet going with this, and I work all day. I check in (obviously), but I don't always look in OT unless I have a need.

Thanks, Travis, for the PM.

My pick...

1.2 C Sidney Crosby--PIT

Hey, SR, expect to pay big for this one.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #70
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I PM'd Boberot.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #71
Travis
Pro Rookie

And we're off!

Good luck all both for the draft and the season. Here's hoping we clip through the draft very quickly.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #72
boberot
High School Varsity

1.3 C Evgeni Malkin -- PIT
Old 09-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #73
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quick question:

It looks like this draft will take my pick into the night time hours. Is there a rule that suspends it until the morning or something? I mean, I have to go to bed at some point but don't want to miss my turn or something either. If the person before me makes his pick at, say, 11pm, and I already went to bed, do I get to pick in the morning (I don't get to work until 9am), or do I get stuck with an auto-pick?

Yeah, I have never done a live offline draft before.

Quote:
Old 09-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #74
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Quick question:

It looks like this draft will take my pick into the night time hours. Is there a rule that suspends it until the morning or something? I mean, I have to go to bed at some point but don't want to miss my turn or something either. If the person before me makes his pick at, say, 11pm, and I already went to bed, do I get to pick in the morning (I don't get to work until 9am), or do I get stuck with an auto-pick?

Yeah, I have never done a live offline draft before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
There are 6 hour time limits between the hours of 7am EDT and 10pm EDT on weekdays. Hopefully we don't have to enforce this but we almost always have to a couple of times during the draft.

If you had more than an hour the previous night (the previous pick was made at 9pm), you get 1 hour in the morning (until 9am) to make your pick. If you had less than an hour, you have 2 hours in the morning (until 10am). We have to keep this moving and we need everyone checking every night and every morning if it's near their turn.

On weekends, we'll just go with a standard 6 hours with no morning/evening provision but let's try to keep things moving.

The clock stops at 10pm EDT, but if your pick time started at 9pm EDT or earlier, you only get an hour the following morning. If it becomes your pick after 9pm EDT (or during the night if people make picks during the non time limit portion of the day) you'd get 2 hours starting at 7am EDT.

So basically it's check in first and last thing each day just to be safe. Having been through a few of the baseball drafts every now and then there's a good run during the evening depending on the people involved so there may be a few mornings where you're surprised to find out you're up or close to it.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #75
Travis
Pro Rookie

Dola, question for Samifan, are you updating the draft in yahoo as we go? Obviously not many guys taken yet so it's easy enough to keep track, but I'm assuming we'll either have list at the start of this thread with who's been taken or it'll be done semi real time on yahoo if not both?

If you need a hand with either/or, let me know. I'm usually pretty solid during the day for online access, evenings can be a bit more hit and miss though.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #76
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Sorry, guys, as of last night, nothing was yet going with this, and I work all day. I check in (obviously), but I don't always look in OT unless I have a need.

Thanks, Travis, for the PM.

My pick...

1.2 C Sidney Crosby--PIT

Hey, SR, expect to pay big for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
1.3 C Evgeni Malkin -- PIT

This is terrible...I should have tanked typical Pittsburgh-style for the randomizer to get a top 3 pick!
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #77
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Dola, question for Samifan, are you updating the draft in yahoo as we go? Obviously not many guys taken yet so it's easy enough to keep track, but I'm assuming we'll either have list at the start of this thread with who's been taken or it'll be done semi real time on yahoo if not both?

If you need a hand with either/or, let me know. I'm usually pretty solid during the day for online access, evenings can be a bit more hit and miss though.

I intend to update the draft in Yahoo but I need all 12 owners to join the Yahoo league before I can get started. For now I am keeping a spreadsheet.

edit - I just checked and I'm glad I waited because I need to edit the draft order to reflect our draft order.

Last edited by samifan24 : 09-17-2009 at 06:25 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #78
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dr Sak is going to pick for me while I am away this weekend.

I'll be able to make selections tonight, tomorrow after work (no work access).

Not sure what the world is coming to. Pens and Flyers fans working together in an NHL draft...dogs and cats getting married...my whole world is turned upside down.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #79
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Dr Sak is going to pick for me while I am away this weekend.

I'll be able to make selections tonight, tomorrow after work (no work access).

Not sure what the world is coming to. Pens and Flyers fans working together in an NHL draft...dogs and cats getting married...my whole world is turned upside down.

What?

Quote:
Old 09-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #80
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
What?

I think that is logically the next step.

Black president

Pens-Flyers fans teaming together

Dogs and cats marry

Armeggedon
Old 09-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #81
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

With SR's first pick he chooses...Kris Beech...cornerstone of the Jagr trade

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 09-17-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #82
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I was thinking powerforward...and thought of Dany Heatley

I was looking for a way to tank in the draft randomizer, but I didn't have Bettman on my side this time
Old 09-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #83
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

1.4 C Ryan Getzlaf -- ANA
Old 09-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #84
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

Sorry for the delay on that pick, bad timing as I was rushing to get out of work and get home to take care of my son solo-style until he went to bed.

About to try PM-ing Samifan, not sure if it will work though...
Old 09-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #85
bhlloy
Coordinator

DAMN YOU... I knew he wouldn't last until #7, but still
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #86
samifan24
Pro Starter

Boo I wanted Getzlaf...and I got Fidatelo's PM. Not sure why I didn't receive any others from him. Oh well.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #87
samifan24
Pro Starter

1.5 LW Zach Parise - NJ
Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #88
boberot
High School Varsity

Oh my. The pace [or lack thereof] is a bit concerning, no?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #89
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Sorry guys, I went to bed right before the last pick

1.6 G Tim Thomas - BOS
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #90
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think it will pick up today, be slow again through the weekend, but then really start to move next week. Once we are all in the habit of checking, knowing when we'll be coming up soon, and having had some time to think out our picks in consideration of the rules, I suspect it will start to move along a bit better.

I hope
Old 09-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #91
samifan24
Pro Starter

1) Draft results are now included in the first post of this thread: http://operationsports.com/fofc/show...21&postcount=1
2) Draft results are also on the Yahoo site: Sign in to Yahoo!
3) Please note that your players won't show up on your roster until the 2nd round because each team needs at least one player to be considered active per Yahoo rules.

Last edited by samifan24 : 09-18-2009 at 08:27 AM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #92
bhlloy
Coordinator

1.7 Corey Perry, RW ANA

sending PM to DeTox to let him know he's up
Old 09-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #93
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Ryan Getlaf and Corey Perry gone in the first seven picks. It must be a fire sale at The Jerk Store!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #94
bhlloy
Coordinator

Haha... a nice jerk sized package of points, +/- and misconduct penalties. Way better than all those boring russians and swedes in Detroit
Old 09-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #95
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Ryan Getlaf and Corey Perry gone in the first seven picks. It must be a fire sale at The Jerk Store!

Getzlaf ain't a jerk. Anymore than Yzerman was anyway.

No comment on Perry.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #96
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Haha... a nice jerk sized package of points, +/- and misconduct penalties. Way better than all those boring russians and swedes in Detroit

Yeah, this is pretty boring...

YouTube - Johan Franzen spectacular goal [Lemieux'l-vision]

Quote:
Old 09-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #97
bhlloy
Coordinator

It was a joke, you really seem to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to anything Red Wings related. Of course Franzen and Zetterberg aren't boring
Old 09-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #98
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
It was a joke, you really seem to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to anything Red Wings related. Of course Franzen and Zetterberg aren't boring

Nah, I know you are goofing. It's all in good fun. I just like an excuse to watch Red Wing highlights while at work.

Quote:
Old 09-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #99
bhlloy
Coordinator

haha cool, you should have a shot at any Red Wings player you want at #9. Unfortunately there is no category for goaltender interference for Holmstrom, hall of fame defensemen carrying your ass for Osgood or team percentage of players in the handshake line
Old 09-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #100
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Getzlaf ain't a jerk. Anymore than Yzerman was anyway.

No comment on Perry.

Come on! He was such a jerk that Joe Thornton had to fight him in the playoffs. Steve Yzerman never incited that kind of reaction from gentle people like Joe Thornton. Getzlaf also just has the jerky frat boy look on him with that annoying smarmy grin.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote