Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #51
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I know, we're not even on the second page so complaining about how long the playoffs is might be a tad premature, but I hate how the games are every 2 days. I'd love to see another Rockets game tonight.

SI

I don't get the league's thinking on this. Without having a conversation with David Stern, I can only guess that he wants to have maximum coverage for each game, as opposed to certain games going against each other on TV.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #52
Groundhog
Coordinator

Hmm, wow. In 14 NBA seasons, Robert Horry has reached at least the 2nd round of the NBA playoffs every season. That's amazing.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #53
miami_fan
Coordinator

Nice gesture AI
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #54
miami_fan
Coordinator

How the fuck is Horry allowed to be THAT wide open? Come on Nuggets, don't fall apart now.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #55
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well, Denver win and GSW are off to a decent start. Those two would probably be the most dangerous 1st round opponents this year, but Dallas should be able to handle GSW if they can start knocking down some shots.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #56
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Warriors and Mavs in a battle right now. I can't believe how excited I am right now. End of three, Warriors up 72-66. Baron Davis is blowing my mind.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:42 PM   #57
JeeberD
General Manager

Someone defend Baron Davis, k thx.

19 points for him in the third alone is insane...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #58
kingfc22
Head Coach

Come on W's!
Old 04-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #59
JeeberD
General Manager

Ugh...

Old 04-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #60
kingfc22
Head Coach

Jackson for THREE!!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 11:05 PM   #61
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

What is going on in the West!!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:09 PM   #62
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
What is going on in the West!!

Nothing new. The Warriors own the Mavs.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:13 PM   #63
kingfc22
Head Coach

Hell yes!
Old 04-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #64
JeeberD
General Manager

Hmmmm...if the Warriors beat the Mavs it opens things up a bit for the Rox.

Go Warriors!

Old 04-22-2007, 11:19 PM   #65
RGunner
High School JV

I don't like to bitch, but how do they not call a foul on Richardson on that block? it was a clean block but u cant get that much body contact and not call a foul...and i think golden state leads the league in tattoos...is it a requirement to have 15 tats if ur on that team?
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:19 PM   #66
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

OMG! OMG! I can't FUCKING believe it!!!!! This is the best night of my life in terms of sports fan-age.....The WARRIORS ARE UP 1-0 on the MAVERICKS!!!!!! Haha long way to go, obviously, but this was an amazing defensive performance. Yeah, the Mavs didn't play their best game, but neither did the Warriors. This was all Baron Davis. Baron is an all-star when he's not hurt. This healthy Warriors team is not an 8 seed. I feel bad for Dallas that they have to play GSW in the first round. WOW! I am ecstatic! GO WARRIORS!
Old 04-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #67
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGunner View Post
I don't like to bitch, but how do they not call a foul on Richardson on that block? it was a clean block but u cant get that much body contact and not call a foul...and i think golden state leads the league in tattoos...is it a requirement to have 15 tats if ur on that team?

I consider myself very objective, and I think that you are correct. The block was totally clean, but I would have been okay with a foul call on Richardson afterwards. The Mavs had plenty of chances prior to, and after that, so I don't feel bad for them at all. The Warriors (exceptions: Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson) played horribly offensively, but they still won by a dozen.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:28 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGunner View Post
... is it a requirement to have 15 tats if ur on that team?

I-man, is that you?

Old 04-22-2007, 11:34 PM   #69
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I consider myself very objective, and I think that you are correct. The block was totally clean, but I would have been okay with a foul call on Richardson afterwards. The Mavs had plenty of chances prior to, and after that, so I don't feel bad for them at all. The Warriors (exceptions: Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson) played horribly offensively, but they still won by a dozen.

Yea, I'm not saying that cost us the game, we played horrible, and couldn't guard Davis at all... I just don't think that Dirk will have as bad of a night as he had again, and neither will Stackhouse who was horrible...
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:06 AM   #70
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't get the league's thinking on this. Without having a conversation with David Stern, I can only guess that he wants to have maximum coverage for each game, as opposed to certain games going against each other on TV.

As I mentioned before, it's pretty accepted that playing on consecutive days is bad for the quality of the game, players having time to recover from injuries, etc. So every other day is about as fast as it can reasonably go.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #71
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
Puns. at least then we dont have to see the circle-jerking the media do over Kobe

Because we never see that with Steve "two MVPs that I didn't deserve" Nash.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #72
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

If the Nuggets and the Warriors eliminate the Spurs and the Mavs, the 2nd round is going to be very, very fun to watch.

Now, if there's only one way for the Suns to stumble (the fact that they can shoot their way out of any point deficit really annoys me.)
Old 04-23-2007, 02:47 AM   #73
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Nothing new. The Warriors own the Mavs.

Yup. Karma's a bitch, huh, Mavs? To think, if you had bothered to play your stars in the second to last game against the Warriors and give yourselves a chance in that game, you might have been playing the Clips now, whom you guys handled with ease this year. Instead, you get a talented on the rise squad coached by the guy who put you together. I love it!

Do I think the Warriors will win this series? No. But I do (and did) think that the Mavs are in for a loooooong, difficult series--and they have no one to blame but themselves.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:38 AM   #74
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yup. Karma's a bitch, huh, Mavs? To think, if you had bothered to play your stars in the second to last game against the Warriors and give yourselves a chance in that game, you might have been playing the Clips now, whom you guys handled with ease this year. Instead, you get a talented on the rise squad coached by the guy who put you together. I love it!

Do I think the Warriors will win this series? No. But I do (and did) think that the Mavs are in for a loooooong, difficult series--and they have no one to blame but themselves.

As much as it bothers me to say it, you are completely right Chief Rum. It looks now that Avery Johnson made a huge tactical error in that late-season game against the Warriors. I won't say it was underhanded on his part, even now.. but I will say it was a mistake....a mistake that may derail this championship run much sooner than expected.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:17 AM   #75
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
As I mentioned before, it's pretty accepted that playing on consecutive days is bad for the quality of the game, players having time to recover from injuries, etc. So every other day is about as fast as it can reasonably go.

I would have no problem with every other day AND a five game series.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:23 AM   #76
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I love how someone who hates basketball clicks on a thread entitled "NBA Playoffs Thread". Not trying to start an argument, but you wouldn't catch me in a NASCAR discussion thread.

umm, despite the smiley you obviously missed the sarcasic banter I was having with jeebs.

carry on.

basketball stinks.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:25 AM   #77
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola-

sarcasim again in case you couldn't figure it out.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #78
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
If the Nuggets and the Warriors eliminate the Spurs and the Mavs, the 2nd round is going to be very, very fun to watch.

the sound you would hear would be TNT producers jumping from the tallest window available.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #79
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OMG! OMG! I can't FUCKING believe it!!!!! This is the best night of my life in terms of sports fan-age.....

If going up 1-0 in the first round of the playoffs is the best night of your life, you've lived a hard life.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #80
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If going up 1-0 in the first round of the playoffs is the best night of your life, you've lived a hard life.

Hey, it's the Warriors. Depending on how long he's actually been alive, this may indeed be the highlight. It's been a long time since Run-TMC.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #81
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Hey, it's the Warriors. Depending on how long he's actually been alive, this may indeed be the highlight. It's been a long time since Run-TMC.

Exactly. I was only 14 the last time the warriors even made the playoffs and 12 the last time they actually won a playoff game, so this was a HUGE night for Warrior fans all around. Baron Davis is amazing.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #82
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

As others who have already replied have said.....If you've beared witness to the sucktitude that has been the Warriors over the last decade-plus, you would understand.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #83
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm a Bengals fan, so believe me I get it. I'm not criticizing, just making an observation that your sports life must be very hard if this is the highlight.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #84
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post

this complaining about this got old last year. Dirk is probally gonna win it this year anyhow. Nash is having another great year, but Dirk is too and his team has the best record in the NBA so he'll probally win it.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #85
MrBug708
Head Coach

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #86
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I had a similar feeling last year after the Cavs first playoff game. It had been so long.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #87
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
the sound you would hear would be TNT producers jumping from the tallest window available.
I disagree. If Denver and GS both won, you'd potentially have two very watchable series in GS-Houston and Denver-Phoenix. That might be the most entertaining second round in a decade. You'd have 3 of the 4 teams trying to really push the ball at every chance and it would be almost a tribute to the 80s in tempo.

It's not like Dallas and SA are LA or NY markets. If both those teams lost, you'd lose some viewers from texas (still have Houston though), but you would probably gain even more when the casual fans see how watchable these teams are.

Last edited by Arles : 04-23-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #88
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I disagree. If Denver and GS both won, you'd potentially have two very watchable series in GS-Houston and Denver-Phoenix. That might be the most entertaining second round in a decade. You'd have 3 of the 4 teams trying to really push the ball at every chance and it would be almost a tribute to the 80s in tempo.

It's not like Dallas and SA are LA or NY markets. If both those teams lost, you'd lose some viewers from texas (still have Houston though), but you would probably gain even more when the casual fans see how watchable these teams are.

agreed. the media will circle-jerk over AI like they always do
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #89
JeeberD
General Manager

Once again, I love me some TMac...

Old 04-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #90
JeeberD
General Manager

2-0

Old 04-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #91
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
2-0

w00t

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #92
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I dunno what the Nets are gonna do in Toronto, they're down and it looks like they might fall. If they do, I haven't decided whether I want them to lose that Series or not. I mean, I hate futile playoff runs for experienced teams that you know are going to get beat.

And it'd be a lot more fun to watch that team in the next round than that Nets team. I just can't understand what the hell Rod Thorn is doing. I bet it's Bruce RATner and his penny pinching that's prevented them from going after anyone that could have REALLY helped them at the deadline.

Because no way that team has enough firepower to make a real run at the Finals.

But it seems to be the trend in the NBA that you just waste great players in their prime of their careers or worse, as they're coming down to the end of their usefulness.

Such a joke.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #93
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post

Seriously, the media is dying to give him a third one. But it's consensus that the guy isn't in the class of others who have three. And it's not as if there aren't lots of others who could easily be classed as MVP caliber people.

He's a great player. But the guy that he is and the one they've confused him with as one of the best of all time are two entirely different people.

I mean, I don't recall John Stockton winning any MVPs, and I don't think Nash is even in his class.

Dirk is the real deal, even if he can't seem to do much in the playoffs. He's still young, of course. And has a hell of a lot more help than KG does in Minnesota.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #94
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wow, the refs give the Heat a pity flagrant foul.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #95
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Seriously, the media is dying to give him a third one. But it's consensus that the guy isn't in the class of others who have three. And it's not as if there aren't lots of others who could easily be classed as MVP caliber people.

He's a great player. But the guy that he is and the one they've confused him with as one of the best of all time are two entirely different people.

I mean, I don't recall John Stockton winning any MVPs, and I don't think Nash is even in his class.

Dirk is the real deal, even if he can't seem to do much in the playoffs. He's still young, of course. And has a hell of a lot more help than KG does in Minnesota.

Exactly my point. Actually, I don't think he compares favorably to Stockton. If you want to find the guy that he compares best with, look at KJ circa 1989 or so...

Not only shouldn't he win a third. Put together a list of guys who have won two:

Larry
Magic
Kareem
Wilt
Bill Russell
Tim Duncan
Karl Malone
Bob Petit
Moses
Jordan
Steve Nash

One of these things is not like the others...

BTW, to SnDvls, this all started because someone made a coment about the media circle-jerk of Kobe. The Nash circle jerk is of unprecedented proportions.

Last edited by oykib : 04-24-2007 at 09:27 PM.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #96
hoopsguy
General Manager

Deng - he's good.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #97
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I agree. It's as if two years ago, someone decided to give Steve Nash the MVP as a prank, to see if people would buy it. So last year, they naturally had to give him another after he won that one. And so now, they're like "well, we gave it to him before."

I don't think he's a bad player. But I like that KJ comparison.

I'm also very, very happy that we'll be done with Miami soon. That's one of the least likable championship teams in the NBA in years. Besides Wade, that team just gets on my nerves. They're old, uninspired and people have this penchant for trying to turn them into a team that's a lot better than they are, simply because of Shaq.

And I hate Shaq. Didn't always, but I don't have much use for him anymore.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #98
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The Heat get their requisite cheap shots on the Bulls at the end of a 20 point blowout, and we're up 2-0!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:26 AM   #99
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm also very, very happy that we'll be done with Miami soon. That's one of the least likable championship teams in the NBA in years. Besides Wade, that team just gets on my nerves. They're old, uninspired and people have this penchant for trying to turn them into a team that's a lot better than they are, simply because of Shaq.

I agree. It's like someone took all the bitchbaby assholes and decided to put them together on the same team, and then you got Wade who practically calls his own fouls like it's a pickup game. I won't be happy to see them lose early this year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 AM   #100
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I agree. It's as if two years ago, someone decided to give Steve Nash the MVP as a prank, to see if people would buy it. So last year, they naturally had to give him another after he won that one. And so now, they're like "well, we gave it to him before."

I don't think he's a bad player. But I like that KJ comparison.

And I hate Shaq. Didn't always, but I don't have much use for him anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I agree. It's like someone took all the bitchbaby assholes and decided to put them together on the same team, and then you got Wade who practically calls his own fouls like it's a pickup game. I won't be happy to see them lose early this year.

I'll take the hate for the championship. Thanks!