Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2022, 11:55 PM   #9851
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Are there any accurate tests out there to show you had it? It would be more for informational purposes at this point.

I believe (and you should really double/triple check, because I'm just repeating third hand info myself) that the PCR-type tests are more accurate but will report positive for several weeks & perhaps months after you've had covid & those need to be sent to a lab to be tested and take at least a day and maybe 4-5 days to get results.

The antigen-type tests will report positive if you are actively shedding a critical amount of covid at that very moment, so you might test negative even if you have it but it is in the early stages or if you just had it but you're below that indicative level. I think those results are available onsite within a half-hour or less. I think these are also predominantly/exclusively the kind of test you can order online and do at home. You can get some of this type on Amazon, if you want to be proactive about a possible next time, but they are still taking like 3-4 weeks to ship.

The dedicated testing place where I got tested (https://curative.com/) offered both types of tests & you could select from one or the other. I think you can get faster access to testing if you have a primary care doctor or through an urgent care facility, if your insurance will cover it, but they might not have a full selection of tests available.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-17-2022 at 01:10 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:08 AM   #9852
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I believe (and you should really double/triple check, because I'm just repeating third hand info myself) that the PCR-type tests are more accurate but will report positive for several weeks & perhaps months

They may do so, but on average it really is 3ish weeks. It does simply show infection very accurately even at low 'dosage'. There are instances it does give a positive for longer but that isn't the norm.

What Rainmaker is looking for is an antibody test, which starts to show positive about 2-3 weeks after being infected. There's some cases it doesn't and won't work forever (both dependend on your body building antibodies and how much/long they stay above the detection threshold)

@rainmaker: EUA Authorized Serology Test Performance | FDA

Bit of a clusterfuck to read and i am sure there are articles on this giving you simply a list but here you get Evaluation performance of all FDA authorized tests under their marketed name (so you could crosscheck what you find available to buy or what your doctor/pharmacy/testing center offers).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 01-17-2022 at 04:14 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:00 AM   #9853
Edward64
Head Coach

I kinda admire China's zero Covid policy but being unexpectedly locked down like this would really, really suck. What will they do if they find Covid inside their Olympic venue? Need to read up on their Olympic controls.

My guess is they know zero covid is untentable with omicron but they want to wait until Olympics, Chinese New Year (when a lot of people travel), get more people booster #3, and somehow ease/transition into it.

Or I guess they can continue to shut down cities when cases are found but I have to believe that would cause social unrest and adversely impact the economy. Interesting experiment walking the tightrope there.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/17/china...hnk/index.html
Quote:
At an office building in China's capital on Sunday, masked Covid control personnel lugged boxes of pillows and bedding through the closely guarded entrance for white collar workers stuck inside, preparing for what may be days of lockdown as Beijing rushes to prevent the spread of Omicron ahead of the Winter Olympics.

The snap lockdown meant the building in the west of the city was sealed off without advance warning, with everybody inside unable to leave and subject to compulsory Covid testing. The decision to lock the office down came after an employee tested positive for Omicron on Saturday -- the city's first recorded case of the highly transmissible variant.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-17-2022 at 06:17 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:38 PM   #9854
whomario
Pro Starter

Let's just say i would need to be very well paid in a job i reaaallly love to travel there for the Olympics.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 01-17-2022, 12:53 PM   #9855
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the testing info. I'll ask my doctor and if they can offer a way to get tested, I'll do it. But I'm done with the pop-up testing places for now.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:09 AM   #9857
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Good job GOP.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:14 AM   #9858
Kodos
Resident Alien

We are a stubborn, stupid country.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:15 AM   #9859
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Who are the "plans to get vaccinated" group at this point? I feel like a good portion of those are people who definitely aren't getting vaccinated but are embarrassed to say so, even for a poll.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-18-2022 at 08:15 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:27 AM   #9860
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Who are the "plans to get vaccinated" group at this point? I feel like a good portion of those are people who definitely aren't getting vaccinated but are embarrassed to say so, even for a poll.

I mean, they could just accidentally have hit the wrong button on the survey. Seems just as likely at this point, honestly.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:51 AM   #9861
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Google "Lizardman Constant." It helps explain those weird survey results that always pop up.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:04 AM   #9862
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Or they're just big procrastinators, like I am in regards to the booster shot.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:11 AM   #9863
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It actually makes me really sad. If you think back to the beginning of the pandemic, there was a sense of "we are all in this together." A "we will all sacrifice for the greater good." It felt somewhat like what it must have felt like when we were all banding together to beat the Nazis. It was nice. The virus was horrible, but we were going to get it under control because we were Americans and were humans and we were undefeated.

Then Russian propaganda trolls got on your great aunt's facebook page, and we lost all of that.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:34 PM   #9864
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

USPS now has their site up for the free testing kits. Seems pretty easy to use.

COVID Home Tests | USPS
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:46 PM   #9865
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

With autofill in Chrome, it took me less than 60 seconds to order mine.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:50 PM   #9866
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
With autofill in Chrome, it took me less than 60 seconds to order mine.

That seems kind of long actually lol
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:02 PM   #9867
Ksyrup

Yeah, I believe it took me 15 seconds.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-18-2022, 01:34 PM   #9868
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This, too. So many deaths after the vaccinations became available.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:25 PM   #9869
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
USPS now has their site up for the free testing kits. Seems pretty easy to use.

COVID Home Tests | USPS

Got mine ordered-no hassle, very quick
Old 01-19-2022, 06:39 AM   #9870
Edward64
Head Coach

Got mine ordered also. Let's see how long it takes to get here.

Also saw that Biden is making N95 masks available also. This one seems to be an afterthought and gimmicky (e.g. wasn't announced at same time as test kits).
Old 01-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #9871
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Then Russian propaganda trolls got on your great aunt's facebook page, and we lost all of that.

Good ole american antivaxxers, professional grifters, Republican politicians and professional contrarians did more damage than Russia could ever do. I'm not saying they didn't try pretty hard. Heck, the manufacturer of their own vaccine spread out of context 'information' about other vaccines. Which i am pretty sure backfired. People constantly overestimate other peoples ability to differentiate. They don't read "1 vaccine good, all others bad" but get doubts about the 1 as well. Same with "elderly vaxx (kinda maybe sorta) good, but 40 year olds ? Never !"

https://www.counterhate.com/_files/u...8663366ee5.pdf

Last edited by whomario : 01-19-2022 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:15 AM   #9872
cuervo72
Head Coach

Not the best plan.

Hana Horka: Czech singer dies after catching Covid intentionally

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-19-2022 at 11:15 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:37 AM   #9873
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Orange County, FL Health Director has been put on leave by the Governor's office because he was strongly encouraging his staff to get vaccinated.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:56 AM   #9874
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Orange County, FL Health Director has been put on leave by the Governor's office because he was strongly encouraging his staff to get vaccinated.

DeSantis really is going to make his push for the GOP nomination based on "Trump isn't pro-virus enough"

Bold strategy, etc.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:16 AM   #9875
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

The timing probably doesn’t line up in this instance but I have to wonder how many of these Mr Djokovic is going to influence. He certainly seems to have legitimized the “get infected, have immunity and get allowed to do stuff again” theory more than anybody else, even if he did end up not being allowed to do the thing.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:37 AM   #9876
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
DeSantis really is going to make his push for the GOP nomination based on "Trump isn't pro-virus enough"

Bold strategy, etc.
And some of Trump's recent reactions to him strongly suggests that he feels threatened.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:01 AM   #9877
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

EDIT--Post moved to Trump thread.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-20-2022 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #9878
spleen1015
Coordinator

It won't happen, but I hope him and his kids are in jail by the time 2024 gets here.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:19 PM   #9879
miami_fan
Coordinator

I have reached the point where getting a swab up my nose and twirled around is as normal as getting a needle in my arm.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:59 PM   #9880
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The timing probably doesn’t line up in this instance but I have to wonder how many of these Mr Djokovic is going to influence. He certainly seems to have legitimized the “get infected, have immunity and get allowed to do stuff again” theory more than anybody else, even if he did end up not being allowed to do the thing.

I'm not sure if I'm going to laugh at how obstinate Novaxx is or applaud his unflagging dedication to the cause if he is also forced to miss the French Open for the same reason.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #9881
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSyrup

It's also actually harder to get a vaccine right now than it was in the spring/summer/early fall, at least in my area. We're no longer in 'unlimited supply, just walk in whenever and get one' but there's an appointment protocol, which is a small additional obstacle.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:13 PM   #9882
Ksyrup

If those people really wanted to get the vaccine, they'd have an appointment already.

My parents are actually in this category, at least as far as the booster goes. They're Trumpers, got the vaccine because my brother (a doctor) told them to, but they won't get the booster. We're going to Hawaii in June and it looks like they are going to require the booster, so my parents said they'll get it in time for the trip. Then my mom proceeded to tell me about how many young athletes are dying after getting the booster shot. I was waiting for the "Betty White died because of the booster" comment, but to my surprise, they didn't go that far.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:20 PM   #9883
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Oh for sure, it's really only an issue if you're on the fence/don't really want it/are procrastinating. I'm just saying there are a certain small 0number - don't know how many - who would get the vaccine without the appointment issue.

I haven't seen any polling on it, but 'vaccine fatigue' or what-have-you appears from my anecdotal observation to be having an effect on people getting boosters who already had the first two vaccine shots. I'd be interested in any hard info on that, but I've heard people who got the vaccine express thoughts along the line of regretting it and planning not to get boosted. How that plays out in the next year or two will be curious.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:32 PM   #9884
spleen1015
Coordinator

My mom is a Trumper too and she wasn't going to get the vaccine. She has heart problems and her heart doctor told her if you get COVID you're going to die. So, she got vaccinated.

She mentions being poisoned here or there, yet she'll keep on smoking a pack a day.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:06 PM   #9885
Kodos
Resident Alien

People are strange.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:00 PM   #9886
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

When you're a stranger.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:20 PM   #9887
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

For those keeping score (and since I've mentioned it), my home test tonight was indeed positive. Wife tested positive likewise on .. Tues?

She's moving clear of her symptoms, I'm a much slower recovery (having started with this shit 8 days ago) but am approaching 24 hours without an uncontrollable coughing fit for the first time in a week.

The one observation I might have is this: that stuff about "Covid brain"?
F'n real afaic. I ain't had this much lost time without liquor involved ever.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:13 AM   #9888
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

The one observation I might have is this: that stuff about "Covid brain"?
F'n real afaic. I ain't had this much lost time without liquor involved ever.

I had an absolutely horrible time sleeping, despite being constantly exhausted, during my covid bout & that really twisted time for me.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:36 AM   #9889
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I had an absolutely horrible time sleeping, despite being constantly exhausted, during my covid bout & that really twisted time for me.

After the two longest days had passed, I realized that there were moments -- in the middle of the night when I coughed myself out of sleep I guess -- that I had some ... hallucinations.

The next day I'd realize that "hmm, X didn't actually happen overnight, it couldn't have"
Old 01-21-2022, 07:48 AM   #9890
miked
College Starter

The biggest issue is that most of these anti-vaxxers get their "data" from VAERS, which they think is an official database or something. I can write whatever I want, but it does not necessarily get removed from that system, and you do not even need to have the vaccine to submit things. My dad keeps telling me about the scores of people having heart attacks and strokes from the vaccine, but most of what he talks about is coming from VAERS.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:15 AM   #9891
miami_fan
Coordinator

Yesterday was my first time hearing about an active duty member of the military that was medically retired due to the after effects of having COVID. I am really curious how we as a country categorizes the different effects from having COVID moving forward. Not just in the military but in the civilian world as well. This is especially interesting when it comes to who has disabilities worthy of lifelong compensation and who does not.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:26 PM   #9892
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

i really hate covid. i have it now
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:48 PM   #9893
spleen1015
Coordinator

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2022, 08:57 PM   #9894
tarcone
Coordinator

In the last month our school district has had more positive tests for teachers than all of last year and almost as many student cases as last year.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:47 PM   #9895
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sorry CF! Hope you get over it quick!
Old 01-21-2022, 10:08 PM   #9896
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hope it's mild for you! My wife and kid tested positive last week - we are pretty sure it came from my son's daycare. He was completely fine (a runny nose was it, but that's normal daycare stuff). My wife had a sore throat which then became general congestion and she was super tired. Unfortunately she also lost her taste which has still not fully come back but she is more than fine otherwise.

I tested negative and had no symptoms at all. Go figure.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-21-2022 at 10:08 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:26 PM   #9897
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Yesterday was my first time hearing about an active duty member of the military that was medically retired due to the after effects of having COVID. I am really curious how we as a country categorizes the different effects from having COVID moving forward. Not just in the military but in the civilian world as well. This is especially interesting when it comes to who has disabilities worthy of lifelong compensation and who does not.

In regards to assessing for special education and section 504, our legal guidance is we have to consider long covid (if there is an official diagnosis)
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:31 AM   #9898
Edward64
Head Coach

Hopefully this is true and future mutations will be relatively less severe.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/22/world...cmd/index.html
Quote:
Omicron's reduced severity compared to previous variants, and the perceived likelihood that individuals will eventually be infected, have contributed to that relaxation in people's mindsets, Williams said. This has even caused some people to actively seek out the illness to "get it over with" -- a practice experts have strongly warned against.

But some within the scientific community are cautiously optimistic that Omicron could be the pandemic's last act -- providing huge swathes of the world with "a layer of immunity," and moving us closer to an endemic stage when Covid-19 is comparable to seasonal illnesses like the cold or flu.

"My own view is that it's becoming endemic, and it will continue to stay endemic for some time -- as has happened with other coronaviruses," said David Heymann, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

"All viruses try to become endemic, and to me this one looks like it's succeeding," he said.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:32 PM   #9899
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

@Edward: quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
It's complicated, but generally the problem a more lethal strain of the same virus has is that it can't outcompete a less lethal strain for hosts. The less lethal strain has an easier time spreading because it a) doesn't kill so many of its hosts and b) a lot of its hosts don't even realize they're carrying the virus.

So basically you have a less lethal strain out there, infecting hosts left and right and causing those hosts to build up antibodies. Along comes the more lethal strain, encountering these hosts. It either a) loses against those antibodies and can't propagate or b) wins, but then kills the host and doesn't propagate as much.

So yes, what you posted is also my hope. Of course where this falls apart is when a variant is different enough that it can bypass any level of "immunity" gained from previous infection and/or vaccination.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:12 PM   #9900
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Idle observation from the covid files:
that "Body Armor" drink?
That shit is nasty.

Kinda knew I was up against it when I saw coconut water on the label, despite the flavor being "orange mango"