Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2018, 01:02 AM   #9701
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

My guess is that Trump's team will say that they didn't know what Cohen was paying off, and that they reimbursed him because that's what businesses do. Claim ignorance, no collusion, nothing to see here. GOP will continue to ignore.

Or, some very bad news is about to drop and Trump's hoping this will cover up what ever that is. You know...standard protocol for the Trump White House.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:43 AM   #9702
Logan
Head Coach

It's admitting to one crime that they knew they had a 5% chance of successfully covering up by admitting to another that they think they may have a 6% chance of covering up.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #9703
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So if I threaten to expose my sexy time with Trump can I still get a 130,000 pay off with no questions asked?
Old 05-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #9704
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump

Mr. Cohen, an attorney, received a monthly retainer, not from the campaign and having nothing to do with the campaign, from which he entered into, through reimbursement, a private contract between two parties, known as a non-disclosure agreement, or NDA. These agreements are.....

...very common among celebrities and people of wealth. In this case it is in full force and effect and will be used in Arbitration for damages against Ms. Clifford (Daniels). The agreement was used to stop the false and extortionist accusations made by her about an affair,......

...despite already having signed a detailed letter admitting that there was no affair. Prior to its violation by Ms. Clifford and her attorney, this was a private agreement. Money from the campaign, or campaign contributions, played no roll in this transaction.

With no exaggeration, I would pay $500 right now for the actual Trump-written version of these tweets instead of whoever wrote these.

I assume the "roll" was the only piece leftover from his own issuance.

Last edited by Logan : 05-03-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #9705
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

No idea. My best guess is that Giuliani is connected to some shady stuff with the 2016 campaign and he's using his new pulpit to throw everyone else under the bus in hopes that his part in everything gets passed over.

I have nothing to back that up other than it would make his actions make sense.

(And unlike most others in the Trump circle who have no political instincts, Giuliani has demonstrated political savvy in the past.)
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #9706
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's possible that they are so concerned with what Mueller has that they're trying to clean up some past lies.

Also, shouldn't the list of people authorized to use the POTUS twitter account be public? It really is a national security issue.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #9707
digamma
Torchbearer

I'm going to go with an exercise where i take what Trump says about Cohen entering into the NDA "through reimbursement" at face value.

Cohen is either or is just being made to look like the dumbest lawyer on the face of the earth.

I've worked with a lot of lawyers of different shapes and sizes. Ethics aside, I've never met one who would front a settlement payment in exchange for monthly payments.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #9708
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I think the most coherent theory is that they (whomever that is) believed that this would eventually get out anyhow, so to portray it as exculpitory (that the money was not illegally sent from the campaign, nor for foundation) was a worthwhile angle.

It's a stretch, and it's absurd, but it's the only way I can piece together doing this as a logical move at any level.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #9709
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I've worked with a lot of lawyers of different shapes and sizes. Ethics aside, I've never met one who would front a settlement payment in exchange for monthly payments.

I am not in the profession, exactly. But the idea of accepting unorthodox responsibilities like this as part of the cost of being a key guy for a big shot like Trump? Presumably gets paid pretty soundly, lets him walk around town like a big deal, he probably can get laid a lot with your stories of how he rolls big, for a dumbass like Cohen this sort of Faustian bargain doesn't seem like much of a stretch.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #9710
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
With no exaggeration, I would pay $500 right now for the actual Trump-written version of these tweets instead of whoever wrote these.

I assume the "roll" was the only piece leftover from his own issuance.

That was so clearly written by a lawyer-Michael Cohen's been a friend for years, but you are calling him Mr. Cohen now?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #9711
Thomkal
Head Coach

And Rody's defense about Trump making the payment to try to save his marriage. :::rolls eyes:::
Old 05-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #9712
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

There's an issue with legal ethics there. Not the high-minded moral concept of ethics, but the particular set of rules that attorneys must follow as part of being members in good standing of the bar: http://www.nycourts.gov/rules/jointa...nduct-1200.pdf

A lot of those rules involve strict regulation of co-mingling of client funds with attorney funds, separate accounts for client funds, etc. See Rule 1.15 above for New York's take on the whole thing.

All of which is to say that an arrangement like the one implied by Giuliani might be permissible (I'm really not sure), but it would have to be structured in a pretty careful way. And something about Trump/Cohen just does not scream "careful" to me.

To get to Quik's point about this being part of the Faustian bargain--things like these ethical rules become a practical problem only if someone brings them to the bar's attention. Cohen could have been engaged in improper bookkeeping for years, and if his clients never complained and it never hurt a third party, there would be no reason for anyone to notice.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #9713
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cohen went to literally the worst law school in the US. Not surprising he is a moron.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #9714
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
And Rody's defense about Trump making the payment to try to save his marriage. :::rolls eyes:::

I take that as a Kinsley gaffe. If Trump's sexy time is public knowledge Melania might walk away. Save the marriage was just another way to say, maintain plausible deniability for Trump's free fucking lifestyle.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #9715
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Cohen went to literally the worst law school in the US. Not surprising he is a moron.

Trump U. Law?
Old 05-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #9716
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
There's an issue with legal ethics there. Not the high-minded moral concept of ethics, but the particular set of rules that attorneys must follow as part of being members in good standing of the bar: http://www.nycourts.gov/rules/jointa...nduct-1200.pdf

A lot of those rules involve strict regulation of co-mingling of client funds with attorney funds, separate accounts for client funds, etc. See Rule 1.15 above for New York's take on the whole thing.

All of which is to say that an arrangement like the one implied by Giuliani might be permissible (I'm really not sure), but it would have to be structured in a pretty careful way. And something about Trump/Cohen just does not scream "careful" to me.

To get to Quik's point about this being part of the Faustian bargain--things like these ethical rules become a practical problem only if someone brings them to the bar's attention. Cohen could have been engaged in improper bookkeeping for years, and if his clients never complained and it never hurt a third party, there would be no reason for anyone to notice.

Thanks for looking this up. It's exactly why I put "Ethics aside" in my post. I was just too lazy to do the leg work.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #9717
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
And Rody's defense about Trump making the payment to try to save his marriage. :::roles eyes:::

Fixed
Old 05-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #9718
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Fixed

Yeah they really need to get some spellchecker/proofreaders too
Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #9719
Logan
Head Coach

I'm just now realizing that Trump is saying Cohen paid her $130K because she was trying to extort him about a sexual encounter that didn't happen.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #9720
digamma
Torchbearer

Here's another gem from the Rudy interview:

Quote:
“Jared is a fine man but men are … disposable,” Giuliani said, with an unsettling laugh. “But a fine woman like Ivanka, come on.”
Old 05-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #9721
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm just now realizing that Trump is saying Cohen paid her $130K because she was trying to extort him about a sexual encounter that didn't happen.

And somehow Cohen knew it was false without ever discussing it with Trump.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #9722
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

A co-worker just came up with another reason that President Trump may have been paying Cohen back in installments. Federal law requires banks to file reports recording transactions of $10,000 or more.

Trump/Cohen may have structured the payments to stay just under $10,000 to minimize the paper trail.

That's actually illegal: Structuring - Wikipedia
Old 05-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #9723
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
A co-worker just came up with another reason that President Trump may have been paying Cohen back in installments. Federal law requires banks to file reports recording transactions of $10,000 or more.

Trump/Cohen may have structured the payments to stay just under $10,000 to minimize the paper trail.

That's actually illegal: Structuring - Wikipedia

Think they already said the reimbursements came in $35K installments.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #9724
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Think they already said the reimbursements came in $35K installments.

Cool. Check one federal financial crime off the list.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #9725
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Cool. Check one federal financial crime off the list.

Not so fast my friend. Even if it wasn't to avoid reporting requirements, attempts to disguise the intended use of funds can still be illegal under the USA PATRIOT Act.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #9726
Thomkal
Head Coach

So it looks the Feds were tapping Cohen's phones leading up to the raid of his offices:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...m_npd_nn_fb_ma

looks like Trump is going to find out just how strong this "broken" justice system can be
Old 05-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #9727
Thomkal
Head Coach

Today is the National Day of Prayer which is something Trump needs a lot of right now.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #9728
bronconick
College Starter

OhNoSheTwitnt‏ @OhNoSheTwitnt

Rudy Giuliani married his cousin. Trump wants to date his daughter. Pence calls his wife “Mother”. This is the shittiest episode of Game of Thrones I’ve ever seen.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #9729
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
OhNoSheTwitnt‏ @OhNoSheTwitnt

Rudy Giuliani married his cousin. Trump wants to date his daughter. Pence calls his wife “Mother”. This is the shittiest episode of Game of Thrones I’ve ever seen.

There isnt even a wall yet.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #9730
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

FWIW, as much as I enjoy speculating about the legal troubles as an intellectual matter, I do think that--as practical reality--Trump gets in as much or as little trouble as Congress gets him in.

Now, lots of the people around Trump will end up going down (in part b/c Trump will push them down to save himself). But I think that the man himself is safe.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #9731
Thomkal
Head Coach

House Chaplain rescinds his resignation:

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/38...ds-resignation
Old 05-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #9732
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The writers for this show are out of control.

Last edited by JPhillips : 05-03-2018 at 03:36 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #9733
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Meanwhile....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
‘Cocaine Mitch’: Blankenship Releases New Ad Vowing To ‘Ditch’ McConnell – Talking Points Memo

Scroll down and watch Don Blankenship's ad attacking Cocaine Mitch McConnell. Everything about the ad is amazing.
..this guy has another ad wherein he decries Swamp Captain Mitch McConnell's help for "China People."

DBTV8040000H - Ditch Mitch on Vimeo
Old 05-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #9734
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Hysteria over Jade Helm exercise in Texas was fueled by Russians, former CIA director says | The Texas Tribune

Quote:
A former director of the CIA and NSA said Wednesday that hysteria in Texas over a 2015 U.S. military training exercise called Jade Helm was fueled by Russians wanting to dominate “the information space,” and that Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's decision to send the Texas State Guard to monitor the operation gave them proof of the power of such misinformation campaigns.

Michael Hayden, speaking on MSNBC’s Morning Joe podcast, chalked up peoples’ fear over Jade Helm 15 to “Russian bots and the American alt-right media [that] convinced many Texans [Jade Helm] was an Obama plan to round up political dissidents.”

Abbott ordered the State Guard to monitor the federal exercise soon after news broke of the operation. Hayden said that move gave Russians the go-ahead to continue — and possibly expand — their efforts to spread fear.

“At that point, I’m figuring the Russians are saying, ‘We can go big time,’” Hayden said of Abbott's response. “At that point, I think they made the decision, ‘We’re going to play in the electoral process.’”
Old 05-03-2018, 06:38 PM   #9735
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Meanwhile......this guy has another ad wherein he decries Swamp Captain Mitch McConnell's help for "China People."

DBTV8040000H - Ditch Mitch on Vimeo

I'm pretty sure he's a character in a Cohen brothers film.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #9736
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Something to keep an eye on. Also makes me wonder if Kim knows this is going on and is partly offering peace to get rid of the American presence.

Trump Orders Pentagon to Consider Reducing U.S. Forces in South Korea - The New York Times

Quote:
During that period, tensions flared between the White House and the Pentagon because Mr. Trump’s aides believed the military was dragging its feet in providing the president with options for a limited strike on North Korea.

Now, officials said, the situation was reversed: The Pentagon worries that Mr. Trump will push too swiftly to demilitarize.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:37 AM   #9737
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

DOLA:

May want to slow down on that Nobel Peace Prize Nomination:

North Korea calls U.S. claims about upcoming summit "misleading" - CBS News

Quote:
But the North's statement on Sunday seemed to be aimed at strengthening Kim's position going into his meeting with Mr. Trump. Pyongyang claims Kim himself is the driver of the current situation.

"The U.S. is deliberately provoking the DPRK at the time when the situation on the Korean Peninsula is moving toward peace and reconciliation," the spokesman was quoted as saying. DPRK is short for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the North's formal name.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #9738
Ben E Lou

If Team Blankenship has time to crank out a new ad today, what crazy nickname will he now use for Trump?
Old 05-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #9739
PilotMan
Head Coach

No way trump knows how to use commas. No way. #fakenews

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #9740
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yes yes people of WV remember that the person Trump supported in Alabama (eventually) ended up losing to a Democrat. Remember that very well and then go ahead and vote for Blankeship.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #9741
Ben E Lou

'I am Trumpier than Trump, and this morning proves it.'

https://www.votedonblankenship.com/s...t-Trumps-Tweet
Old 05-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #9742
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I would have thought that a guy that was so negligent that he went to jail for killing coal miners wouldn't have a shot, but I guess that guy might get @35% of the GOP primary vote.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #9743
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
'I am Trumpier than Trump, and this morning proves it.'

https://www.votedonblankenship.com/s...t-Trumps-Tweet

WV is still a very heavy Trump state. Possibly the most Trump supporting state in the country. The GOP primary is going to be a shitshow of everyone trying to prove they're more Trump than the other guys.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #9744
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The NRA is about to elect a President that armed Hezbollah.

This shouldn't be hard for the gun control folks.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #9745
jct32
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The NRA is about to elect a President that armed Hezbollah.

This shouldn't be hard for the gun control folks.

People just listen to who they should vote for.

Example: Trump
jct32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #9746
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well it was looking like a nice positive achievement for Melania Trump but...

First Lady Melania Trump's cyberbullying pamphlet is near exact copy of Obama-era FTC report
Old 05-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #9747
Thomkal
Head Coach

The AG for New York Eric Schneidermann, a rising star in the Democratic Party thanks in large part to his trials against Trump has crashed and burned:

Eric Schneiderman, Accused by 4 Women, Quits as New York Attorney General

I'm sure Donald will tweet about it soon, but those around him already have:

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...physical-abuse

Last edited by Thomkal : 05-08-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #9748
Thomkal
Head Coach

To no one's surprise Trump pulls the US out the Iran Nuclear Deal:

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...eal/index.html
Old 05-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #9749
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm sure he based it on something other than knee jerk campaign rallying cries. His base is sure showing them Dems!!! At all costs.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #9750
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
To no one's surprise Trump pulls the US out the Iran Nuclear Deal:

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...eal/index.html

Thanks Obama. Whatever happens with Iran from here on out, it's totally Obama's fault.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote