Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #9601
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
This is the first year I havent taken a WR 2 before the 7th round ever. I waited until the 10th round. Everyone was laughing. I have 6 starting RBs, the other 11 owners can share the remaining 26. I will laugh later.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #9602
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. I'm loading up on RB early. Picking 3rd I'm hoping to go McCoy/Rice then Gore/Charles/Turner/Murray/MJD then maybe Vick or another RB.

If we go 6 pt QB TDs, I'll go Brady or Rodgers in the first.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #9603
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
This is the first year since 1997 where I'm not playing fantasy football. I also skipped fantasy baseball for the first time in a about a decade. I miss drafting, but not feeling the need to react and take note of tidbits I hear about teams' backup RB situation. Hopefully I can enjoy the bigger picture or something. I probably spent 2-3 hours a week on my team for the last 15 years.
I think you'll enjoy watching football a little bit more. I quit fantasy football six years ago, and I actually found the games more entertaining when I wasn't sweating over which player was scoring touchdowns.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #9604
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I refuse to play fantasy football. I've been drawn in a couple times in the past 5-6 years by the neighborhood guys, and I definitely enjoy a live draft with the guys, but fantasy football ruins pro football for me. The fake game impacted my enjoyment of the real games too much.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #9605
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I refuse to play fantasy football. I've been drawn in a couple times in the past 5-6 years by the neighborhood guys, and I definitely enjoy a live draft with the guys, but fantasy football ruins pro football for me. The fake game impacted my enjoyment of the real games too much.

That's the part I miss.

This is year 3 of no fantasy football, and really, don't miss it at all now. If anything, the draft, seeing how things fall into place, building the team, that was the fun part.

Fielding a team each week became a nuisance, searching for bye-week replacements, dealing with injuries, and the stupid fighting between owners over silly things, I can do without.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #9606
Ksyrup

Yeah the mini-party, food, and smack talk was fun. But that was 3-4 hours and the season's long and tedious.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #9607
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm the exact opposite. I always found FF abhorrent, mainly because I loathe the H2H, playoff format which I always found completely counter intuitive to fantasy sports. But in the past few years I've slowly gotten more and more bored with the NFL from a competitive standpoint. Now I'm in a couple leagues with a bit of money on the line and I can't imagine staying invested in the sport without betting or FF to keep me interested.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #9608
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I'm the exact opposite. I always found FF abhorrent, mainly because I loathe the H2H, playoff format which I always found completely counter intuitive to fantasy sports. But in the past few years I've slowly gotten more and more bored with the NFL from a competitive standpoint. Now I'm in a couple leagues with a bit of money on the line and I can't imagine staying invested in the sport without betting or FF to keep me interested.

Really good point. This is probably a factor for me too. I still will watch every Steelers game, but I no longer will watch Thursday night, Sunday afternoon, late Sunday afternoon, Sunday night, & Monday night.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #9609
Ksyrup

I've gotten bored with the NFL, too, but that's where college football comes in. I've replaced Sunday afternoon with Saturday afternoon/night. I'll still watch NFL at night, but I usually miss most of the games because I'd rather have Saturdays for college than Sundays for NFL.

I've never been a gambler, so that aspect of it doesn't interest me in the least. FF was good for competition, but it wasn't any fun because of the nature of the game - you could have the best roster, but it all comes down to choosing who to play. Too much blind/dumb luck and not enough reward for building a good roster. At least with baseball, the full roster comes into play. But I gave up fantasy baseball years ago for the same reason - it ruined my enjoyment of the game.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #9610
PilotMan
Head Coach

I started a FF league when I was in eighth grade. I was FF before FF was cool.

Of course I gave it up over 10 years ago, because it was consuming my life and i grew to hate it. Don't miss it much at all.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-31-2012 at 10:49 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #9611
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I played FF back in the 90s, was ok but didn't love it. I straight despise it now and I don't even play it. There is nothing I care less about than articles and the talking heads that focus on FF. It's like a minefield, I start to read or listen only to realize what I stumbled into and how little I care.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #9612
Suicane75
Coordinator

See, that's how I feel about the NFL now. Millions of articles, every play seems to have it's own highlite show. It's become way too much of a pageant. This way, I bone up on players a week or two before the season, draft a couple of teams, and just casually observe.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #9613
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

If it weren't for FF, I probably wouldn't watch much NFL at all anymore. After losing my team here in LA 18 years ago, what was the point?

Because of FF, I still love the game and now I can watch pretty much every game with interest, both for FF and for the real life competitive aspect of it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #9614
Logan
Head Coach

I just don't allow myself to get too worked up over how my matchups are going. Maybe easier said than done for some, and it probably helps that I'm pretty successful overall...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #9615
PilotMan
Head Coach

This is a food cart in our area. Does anyone else find this a tad bit offensive?

Like Steam?

Old 08-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #9616
Autumn
Head Coach

Yep. Seems clear they've decided who is and isn't going to be in their market. do they actually make Mexican food? Because if so, wow.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #9617
Dutch
"Dutch"

Doesn't that just imply that "Joe" is here illegally?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #9618
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Yep. Seems clear they've decided who is and isn't going to be in their market. do they actually make Mexican food? Because if so, wow.

The chalk sign says Tortas and Quesadillas.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #9619
molson
General Manager

How much does it suck to plan a labor day weekend away, you make arrangement for the kids, put the dogs in the kennel, make hotel reservations in the city you're going to, show up at the airport on Friday afternoon, see that your flight is cancelled for no apparent reason, and learn that you can't be rebooked on any other flight before the weekend's over. So, trip aborted, everybody goes home. This didn't happen to me just now, but it did just happen to a friend's friend that was supposed to fly in from San Francisco to Boise. I'm sure she can get some bonus compensation or whatever, but that doesn't help, she's a busy lawyer with plenty of money, but not enough weekends off. I hate the airline industry.

Last edited by molson : 08-31-2012 at 06:29 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #9620
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Whenever I see someone who may or may not be a man in drag I hope it really is, just because if that actually a real woman... damn.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #9621
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Doesn't that just imply that "Joe" is here illegally?

Only if it said "The 'Legal' Mexican" (is that how you quote something with quotes?)

As it is I think it means he's illegal, but Canadian. And one of many.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #9622
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Only if it said "The 'Legal' Mexican" (is that how you quote something with quotes?)

As it is I think it means he's illegal, but Canadian. And one of many.

Isn't Mitt Romney a 'legal' mexican?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #9623
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Isn't Mitt Romney a 'legal' mexican?

His dad was. I think Mitt Romney was born in Kenya or something.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #9624
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
His dad was. I think Mitt Romney was born in Kenya or something.

Eh, close enough. They're all brown people anyway.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #9625
PilotMan
Head Coach

Totally blown away by how many people got this question wrong on facebook. Well, it is facebook, but damn, it's not that hard.

Like Steam?

Old 09-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #9626
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I don't think it's 'hard' so much as it is a yes-or-no question ("Do you remember the mathematic order of operations?"), presented as a math problem, in order to make you feel stupid or smart, depending on your answer. The order of operations never really comes up in real-life use (at least it never has is mine), and that kind of crappy notation is certainly never going to be used within mathematics/science as anything other than an example of "how do you read this really poorly formatted equation?", like this one. It's a question of memory and/or reading purposely crappy formatting, rather than any depth of mathematical ability.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-01-2012 at 03:18 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #9627
sabotai
General Manager

Sounds like someone got the answer wrong.....

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #9628
Dutch
"Dutch"

lmao!
Old 09-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #9629
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We had a thread about troll math before.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #9630
Dutch
"Dutch"

Would it be easier to figure out this troll math or to memorize the discussion points in 75K+ threads? Hmmm....
Old 09-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #9631
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Sounds like someone got the answer wrong.....

Sad Trombone
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #9632
Dutch
"Dutch"

Old 09-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #9633
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

If that is true, that is absolutely brilliant.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #9634
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why do football players hold hands on the way out for the coin flip?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #9635
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Kinda bothered me tonight to realize that I couldn't name all of my HS English teachers. Dunno why that bothered me, just seems like I ought to be able to do that even if it has been nearly 30 years.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #9636
21C
College Prospect

I was teaching a 9th grade class recently where I mentioned that I had high school Math in the same room 30 years ago. A girl looked shocked and said "Do you still remember that?"
Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #9637
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So either GT is suddenly a defensive powerhouse or VT ain't got much offensive at all.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #9638
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm amazed at the state of bathrooms are in that some of my male friends own. The showers seem to be the worst places to simply let rust and mildew build up. If you want to not care when nobody is over, then that's your prerogative, but if somebody is staying over, make some sort of effort.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #9639
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Today is the first day of school for the kids. I do not have full custody of my boys, but my daughter willingly decided she wanted to live with me last week.

Well, this is the 2nd year in a row I have them for the first day of school. Second year in a row I get a phone call 2 hours before I am to drop them off and told to bring them over in the morning. It means my kids are up almost an hour before they normally would be.

Damn my ex.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #9640
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Today is the first day of school for the kids....
Damn my ex.

That sucks MG, I've got a friend going through something similar with his soon-to-be ex right now (compounded by his kids just starting school) & I know what it puts him through. I wish I had a magic wand for both of you.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-04-2012 at 07:49 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #9641
Ksyrup

A paralegal at my former firm had major issues with his ex. He's had a real difficult time even getting copies of school work, report cards, school picture order forms, etc. The teachers give everything to the mom and shut him out completely. He's had to go to the principal several times to get "equal time." Really crappy situation.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #9642
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
A paralegal at my former firm had major issues with his ex. He's had a real difficult time even getting copies of school work, report cards, school picture order forms, etc. The teachers give everything to the mom and shut him out completely. He's had to go to the principal several times to get "equal time." Really crappy situation.

I went through this last year and the only reason I am involved this year right out of the gates is because I had to take control with it. I was effectively being shut out by the ex and her boyfriend.

I will post in my other thread I have about a situation that sucks.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #9643
DougW
High School Varsity

Michael Strahan takes Regis' old job. I like it.

Live! with Kelly & Michael
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #9644
molson
General Manager

I have 60 sick days saved up. Who the hell uses all these sick days? I guess it's just kind of like a bonus health insurance for if I get deathly ill.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #9645
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
I have 60 sick days saved up. Who the hell uses all these sick days? I guess it's just kind of like a bonus health insurance for if I get deathly ill.
Just send 'em this way.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #9646
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

My prior position, we didn't accrue sick time. It was a "if you're really sick, don't come in" policy, but monitored. The unwritten rule was 8 days/5 occurances (multiple day string) per rolling calendar year.

I used 2 sick days in 12 years. Others tracked when they "gained" a sick day back in the above system, and used it immediately.

My current position, I accrue .5 days of medical time per month. The rule is however, you must supply a doctor's excuse within 3 days of your return.

What I do alot is schedule doctor/dentist appointments for afternoon, and use .5 medical days. Chances are I wouldn't otherwise use them, and while I would accrue them, if I can't use them as true vacation, I'd never use them, and end up with 60 days as well.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #9647
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-04-2012 at 08:41 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #9648
Dutch
"Dutch"

haha...nice.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #9649
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I love the fact that my company doesn't separate the two. We get what is called earned time. Sucks if you get sick but for someone like me who never does or guts it out I get tons of vacation time.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #9650
cuervo72
Head Coach

At my old job I got something like 22 days of vacation and 12 days of sick per year, and they could accrue up to...well, I forget exactly - maybe two years' worth (this was a long time ago). "Sick" was pretty liberally treated - this could be if a family member was sick, if I had a doctor appt, etc.