Will they let you bring a web cam?
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #9552
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Will they let you bring a web cam?

Hmm ... not expressly prohibited in the summons (although I think it's covered under a different rule, I believe you have to have specific permission to put a camera in any courtroom in the state).

I did notice they omitted mp3 players however.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #9553
britrock88
Pro Starter

Passed the bar... on my birthday!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #9554
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Congrats!

What state? I know Florida and Kentucky were similar - late September/early October. Hated the waiting.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #9555
britrock88
Pro Starter

North Carolina. (Quickest in the nation, maybe? I have friends in the Northeast who will only hear around Veterans Day; I don't think I could stand that.)
Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #9556
Ksyrup

Waiting for KY was the worst. As a kid out of law school, waiting 60ish days was hard, but it was nothing like quitting a job, taking a new one, selling a house, moving my family, taking the bar exam during that time, and then having to wait about 75 days to find out if I passed. HUGE amount of pressure on me during that time. I was always in a bad mood until the cloud lifted.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #9557
Suicane75
Coordinator

Got my new keyboard right quick. Now I can play Pac-Man again, yay!!
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #9558
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
North Carolina. (Quickest in the nation, maybe? I have friends in the Northeast who will only hear around Veterans Day; I don't think I could stand that.)

Did you take it here by any chance?

When You Can’t Provide Power During the Bar Exam, You Must Expect People To Complain About Their Scores « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers, Law School, Law Suits, Judges and Courts
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #9559
britrock88
Pro Starter

Most certainly. Mid-afternoon on Tuesday, there was a powerful thunderstorm with strong winds (as can happen in NC) that knocked the power out _twice_ during the exam. As ATL described, this was essentially a livestock pen on the state fairgrounds with 1200 anxious test-takers inside... and it went pitch dark. Handwriters and people with bad laptop batteries were out of luck (I wasn't one of them). The examiners told us to keep testing through the outage (a crazy idea!). I was able to type and to use my laptop as a backlight to read the essay prompts.

When the power came back on after a few minutes, the vinyl air ducts by the ceiling suddenly re-inflated, making a big enough sound that multiple people dropped to the floor and under their tables, thinking the roof was collapsing. Moments later, though, the power went out again -- this time for 45 minutes. Again, we kept testing. When the power was finally restored for good, they allotted us an additional 45 minutes at the end of the session to try to level the playing field.

In the following days, however, the examiners apparently reconsidered. At one point, we were told that we might have to submit to a partial or complete re-test of the essays. That would have been a lovely prospect, and a logistical nightmare to boot. Finally, someone knocked some sense into them and they came up with the "afternoon essays optional" scoring method for this exam.

It was a crazy time.

Last edited by britrock88 : 08-28-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #9560
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

when I watch a show like Modern Marvels or something similar and they feature a an assembly line, I always wonder about how said assembly line comes to be. Does Hershey just go to factoryparts.com to order a giant label machine? Do they have engineers on staff to design all this stuff? Or a build staff to build new machines?
Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #9561
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Wife signed paperwork on our new home a few days ago. We will be moving in around February.

I'd love to say I signed as well, but the loan will be in her name only due to my ex-wife wrecking my credit. My credit was bad before the divorce. It's just plain awful now. Credit score has been slightly improving this past year, but the damage was clearly done prior to that.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #9562
Ksyrup

As long as I've known the song Our House, I don't think I ever realized it was Crosby Stills and Nash. Came on XM yesterday and the name flashed up there and I had no idea.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #9563
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As long as I've known the song Our House, I don't think I ever realized it was Crosby Stills and Nash. Came on XM yesterday and the name flashed up there and I had no idea.

That's fair, though. It's very much Graham Nash, with Stills and Crosby just doing a little backup vocals. Though a lot of CSN songs are structured that way, depending on who wrote the song.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #9564
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

No, Our House is by Madness.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #9565
Ksyrup

Different song.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #9566
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Different song.

No, better song.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #9567
Ksyrup

I will always be partial to the one that sounds like the Beatles, not the one that sounds like the 80s.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #9568
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Smooth first day of school for us.

Daughter, 2nd grade, was great. Last 2 years were struggles but she loved being responsible for her brother getting to his room, etc.

Son, kindergarten, was a champ. He was dressed, on the couch with his backpack on at 7:20...for the bus at 8:30.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #9569
Ksyrup

8:30?!?! Damn, bus picks up for elementary school here at 6:55; school starts at 7:40.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #9570
korme
Go Reds

Dog Whisperer is crack for me
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #9571
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
8:30?!?! Damn, bus picks up for elementary school here at 6:55; school starts at 7:40.

740? WTF? We're not even supposed to drop ours off before 745a (for an 805a official start)

Is your system doing that split schedule stuff, where the HS doesn't start until like 9 and gets out at 4whatever? (so as to be able to double-shift the buses)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #9572
Ksyrup

Kinda, but not that big a difference, just 30 minutes. Elementary goes 7:40-2:45, and middle/HS goes 8:10-3:15.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #9573
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
740? WTF? We're not even supposed to drop ours off before 745a (for an 805a official start)

Is your system doing that split schedule stuff, where the HS doesn't start until like 9 and gets out at 4whatever? (so as to be able to double-shift the buses)

My kids are one final pickups. I believe first bell is 9a, and they begin at 9:15a. Done at 3:45p, home at 4:15 or so.

We have the same that they shouldn't be dropped off more than 30 minutes prior, so 8:30 for elementary kids.

Next door has a HS age son, the bus passes about 7:15, I think they start at 8a.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #9574
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Solar

I can't imagine my kids being up that early consistently.

My wife's a nurse, works a ton of 7a-7p in the summer. My parents watch the kids when we both work. I get them up at like 6:30-6:45, and it's a struggle. And that's twice a week Max. Can't imagine daily.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #9575
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My high school started at 7:30. We were the early ones and then the other schools started a little later, I believe. I had to get up before 6 to catch a bus at around 6:45, iirc.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-28-2012 at 12:04 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #9576
Grover
Pro Starter

First day of classes for me. Way too many attractive 18 year old girls here.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #9577
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

Old 08-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #9578
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Solar

My wife's a nurse, works a ton of 7a-7p in the summer. My parents watch the kids when we both work. I get them up at like 6:30-6:45, and it's a struggle. And that's twice a week Max. Can't imagine daily.

It does suck. Both kids get up at 6:15, just because I leave by 6:30 and the older one helps my wife gets things ready. The young one is not an early morning person, either.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #9579
britrock88
Pro Starter

It appears that no one has figured out that it's the high schoolers who need the extra sleep... they ship them off to 7:30a start times while the 6-year-olds who would wake up at 6 in the morning anyway don't start until 8:45.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #9580
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Solar

My kids are a struggle to get up at 6:30 - 7:00 for school as well, although come the weekend when they want to play 6:30 doesn't seem too early for them...
Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #9581
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
It appears that no one has figured out that it's the high schoolers who need the extra sleep... they ship them off to 7:30a start times while the 6-year-olds who would wake up at 6 in the morning anyway don't start until 8:45.

Ours is set up that way - the older kids go later. It's just that it's not THAT much later. But that's probably due to the fact that we've got a small school system. The same bus that picks up my 8 year old at 6:55 is back by 7:35 to get my 13 year old. They probably start middle/HS so early because they can.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #9582
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Kinda, but not that big a difference, just 30 minutes. Elementary goes 7:40-2:45, and middle/HS goes 8:10-3:15.

It is the opposite for us. The Elementary kids go in later and the middle/HS go early. It is a big difference, too. HS starts at 7 and Ele starts at 9. I think HS goes an hour longer as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #9583
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
It does suck. Both kids get up at 6:15, just because I leave by 6:30 and the older one helps my wife gets things ready. The young one is not an early morning person, either.

At a prior job, I worked downtown and was in typically at 7, and always before 7:30.

Days we both worked (kids not in school yet), I'd be up at 5, everything in the car by 5:30, kids in their carseats, out the door before 6, trolley parking lot by 6:30...looking back now, no idea how I did it.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #9584
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Tell them Jedikooter says, "Hi".

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #9585
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My 8th grader leaves at 7:05(last pickup on run) and my 3rd grader at 8:10 ish(also last piccup)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #9586
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Tell them Jedikooter says, "Hi".

I'll pass it around on Thursday.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #9587
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll pass it around on Thursday.

What happened to the other 4 days of the week?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #9588
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Wow our 3rd grader starts at 7:15 and our 6th grader starts at 8:00.
Couldnt imagine a 9a start.

If the 3rd grader rode the bus she'd have to be on it at 5:05.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #9589
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
What happened to the other 4 days of the week?

I'm only there Tuesdays and Thursdays, sorry mate.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #9590
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I like Kevin Bacon but I hate Footloose.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #9591
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I want to punch the guy from the Suzuki Kazashi commericals in the face.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #9592
StLee
High School Varsity

After two months of being primary caretaker of my now 15-month-old because of vacation, I finally get to go to the office and work my brain! I have never been so excited to go back to work in my life. My mind is racing with two months worth of ideas. Poor college freshmen... Poorer literature majors.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #9593
Suicane75
Coordinator

Eating half a box of Cheerios is bad. Bad, bad, bad.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #9594
Ksyrup

Good for your heart though...?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #9595
Suicane75
Coordinator

I can't imagine any part of what I went through last night was good for any part of me.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #9596
Ksyrup

You didn't eat the toy, too, did you?
Old 08-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #9597
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ah, Phil Hartman

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #9598
Suicane75
Coordinator

Let's put it this way. Even my pee smelled like cheerios. That can't be proper.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #9599
molson
General Manager

This is the first year since 1997 where I'm not playing fantasy football. I also skipped fantasy baseball for the first time in a about a decade. I miss drafting, but not feeling the need to react and take note of tidbits I hear about teams' backup RB situation. Hopefully I can enjoy the bigger picture or something. I probably spent 2-3 hours a week on my team for the last 15 years.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #9600
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
This is the first year since 1997 where I'm not playing fantasy football. I also skipped fantasy baseball for the first time in a about a decade. I miss drafting, but not feeling the need to react and take note of tidbits I hear about teams' backup RB situation. Hopefully I can enjoy the bigger picture or something. I probably spent 2-3 hours a week on my team for the last 15 years.

First time for me since around 1992 (high school with Baseball Weekly) since I haven't done a fantasy league. Probably first time since about 98 or so for football. Had been doing keeper leagues for years, going to miss that.