Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2022, 08:03 PM   #901
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I would've liked to see Dean go to the Bears instead of Brisker if they were going defense. Him with Smith would be a good duo.

Will the Bears just go best WR available at 71, or just best overall?

Either a WR or an OL is pretty much guaranteed there now, unless they are just committing themselves to 'Best Available' and in full on tank mode this year.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:08 PM   #902
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Falcons reach for a Montana State LB who played both ways on college. Looks athletic, but man. There were guys that know the position better available.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:17 PM   #903
Swaggs
Coordinator

Bernhard Raimann, Travis Jones, and Malik Willis were all guys that I would have been happy with at #20 when I was playing with mocks the last few weeks. NFL guys know stuff we do not.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:20 PM   #904
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

A lot of mocks had Raimann and Penning and pretty much interchangeable at that second tier of OT.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:36 PM   #905
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NFL Network just said that Dean had a pec injury and didn't get surgery, which is what is scaring some teams off.

They might think that he needs the surgery, so he'd miss a lot of his rookie year.

If that's why he's falling, he needs to get a new doctor & agent,
Old 04-29-2022, 08:36 PM   #906
GrantDawg

Ah. Dean has torn pec. He may play this year and then have surgery, but it is possible he won't play at all this year.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:37 PM   #907
GrantDawg

Jinx. Buy me a coke.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:41 PM   #908
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
NFL guys know stuff we do not.
Who knows, it could be anything really. Last year Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah slid to the mid-to-late second. Most mocks had him mid-to-late first. Turns out he was diagnosed with a heart issue late in the process which scared teams off enough to slide a full round.

EDIT: It was ultimately a big nothingburger and he was cleared before the draft. But most teams are so risk averse that something like that is enough to be the deciding factor when making the decision between two players you like.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 04-29-2022 at 08:49 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:43 PM   #909
cuervo72
Head Coach

Wouldn't mind seeing David Bell go to PHI or BAL in the third round.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:47 PM   #910
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
NFL guys know stuff we do not.

NFL draft pick analysis is 100% just comparing what actually happened with what the mock drafts predicted. An 8-year old could compile an A+ rated draft by just following the media mock drafts, made by the same media that evaluates the draft. 99.9% of us have no real ability to evaluate players, and the 0.01% that do disagree on many things and can't predict the future. It's fun to pretend otherwise, but, at the end of the day, none of us know shit.

Last edited by molson : 04-29-2022 at 08:47 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:54 PM   #911
GrantDawg

Absolutely no one is wanting these Qb's.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:56 PM   #912
cuervo72
Head Coach

TikTok comedy duos? Seriously?
Old 04-29-2022, 08:58 PM   #913
GrantDawg

Falcons take Ridder. In the third round,,that is a good pick. No pressure or expectations. We will see if he can devolp at this level.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:02 PM   #914
QuikSand
lolzcat

The Ravens really do understand this whole thing, it's awesome
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:07 PM   #915
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
A lot of mocks had Raimann and Penning and pretty much interchangeable at that second tier of OT.

Raimann to the Colts actually tracks nicely to the Colts, huge value here
Old 04-29-2022, 09:18 PM   #916
GrantDawg

I love what the Colts have gotten so far.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:29 PM   #917
GrantDawg

The Eagles, man.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:01 PM   #918
Thomkal
Head Coach

Panthers get a QB finally after many thought they would be the first to take one in this draft,
Old 04-29-2022, 10:03 PM   #919
QuikSand
lolzcat

LB Leo Chenal is a guy I picked in a ton of mock drafts, as a legit true off-ball LB without a lot of fluff... now he's looming as among the clear BPAs and I feel invested

Lions?

Dolphins?

Rams?
Old 04-29-2022, 10:04 PM   #920
Galaril
Pro Starter

Nice pick for Titans might be a sleeper with Malik Willis. They can get out the Tannehill contract after 2022.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:09 PM   #921
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Carolina passes on Howell for Corral.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:10 PM   #922
cuervo72
Head Coach

Love the Lions team needs graphic. Essentially everything.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:31 PM   #923
Thomkal
Head Coach

No Coastal players taken yet.
Old 04-30-2022, 07:54 AM   #924
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Browns/Panthers trade talks for Baker break down.

I don’t think that the Browns understand just how weak their negotiating hand is.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:01 AM   #925
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Ah. Dean has torn pec. He may play this year and then have surgery, but it is possible he won't play at all this year.

Dean says this is not true, and that he is perfectly healthy. All od this seems fishy. We will probably learn more later, but if it wasn't an injury there is definitely something that scared teams off.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:09 AM   #926
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
No Coastal players taken yet.

Likely soon, though (pun intended)
Old 04-30-2022, 09:18 AM   #927
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Likely soon, though (pun intended)

Yes he has a built in nickname all ready for whatever team gets him
Old 04-30-2022, 09:41 AM   #928
QuikSand
lolzcat

Miami mock from here, now that they are actually involved in the draft.

List of player visits/interviews, pared down to those not taken yet, pasted/spoilered below for my convenience, as the website has been fickle loading for me...

Spoiler

I allowed myself a full liberty selection first with WR Ross, then went to their interview list and tried to take BPA from that. Don't love it, to be honest.
Old 04-30-2022, 11:04 AM   #929
QuikSand
lolzcat

Some fun names to watch for on day three, for the many who are fully lost at this point:

CB Tariq Woolen, UTSA - if you were intrigued by the Pats' pick of WR Tyquan Thornton in round two (can't play WR but at this size and speed what a dart) then this is your guy... 6'4" runs like a damned deer, and has almost no concept of coverage skills at all. But man, if he locks in and gets even pretty good at playing the position, wow wow wow.

WR Khalil Shakir, Boise State - while everyone is searching for their X, the 4th round is a great place to land a high-floor slot guy, like Shakir. I think he profiles a lot like Jameson Crowder, and there is a lot of room for a productive underneath receiver like that in the modern 11-base NFL. Probably battles for punt return duties too.

P Matt Araiza, San Diego State - highest profile college punter I can recall, he should go soon and will be fun to watch if this skill (punting long and high when asked) translates as well as it intuitively seems like it should. I want him on all my teams.

RB Dameon Pierce, Florida - old school power back, I'd love him as the heavy-duty part of a modern day RB platoon... like a younger, likely better, Jordan Howard. Ravens seems like the perfect play, and they are LOADED with picks in round four.

OT Kellen Diesch, Arizona State - 6'7" but plays shorter than that, I have seen him lauded by a few analysts, and got lured into taking him in a lot of mocks around this range... so I will be interested.

CB Josh Jobe, Alabama - standard build CB who looks like a good fit for a mostly man-up team like NE, BUF, MIA (all of whom should be looking for depth there in this draft). I have a funny feeling he's a gem.

WR Justyn Ross, Clemson - need to recover from medical problems including a spinal surgery, but if he does, then you have a fairly polished 6'4" guy with a previous pedigree... some of the ingredients of a late round steal. Why not?

LB Brandon Smith, Penn State - feels like a Raven to me, sort of a tweener OLB/edge and the Ravens have churned guys like this into high profile players by year three over the last 10+ years on the regular. Intriguing.

C Alec Lindstrom, Boston College - the BC coach is now the Miami OL coach, and nobody would be shocked if this guy became the second Eagle OL selected here, possibly to the Dolphins where he'd scheme fit right in, on a unit that is full of question marks

DT Haskell Garrett, Ohio State - heralded college prospect who never really delivered the high end stuff OSU wanted... but even if he's not a Bosa, he has all the tools, likely to play inside as a 3-tech, but maybe with some versatility because he does have intriguing burst... I have mock-grabbed him a lot too

G/C Jason Poe, Mercer - made the Athletic's "freaks list" with this write-up that got me locked in: 13. Jason Poe, Mercer, offensive lineman: He was a Division II All-American at Lenoir-Rhyne before transferring to Mercer. The 6-foot 1/2, 300-pound Poe lacks ideal height but has ridiculous athleticism and is incredibly light on his feet. Poe, who is expected to do his Pro Day at the University of Georgia, is expected to run the 40 in the 4.8s. He has vertical jumped 34 inches-plus. He’s also benched almost 500 pounds and power cleaned almost 400. His broad jump will be in the 10-foot range, and his shuttle in training has been 4.50.

Rooting for small school prospects to get a longshot chance today? Maybe South Dakota LB Jack Cochrane (combines back up great production), S Tristan McCollum from Sam Houston State, and WR Dareke Young from Lenoir-Rhyne (not much tape but lots of excuses).

And a local newspaper profile of local guy LB Chance Campbell (formerly of Maryland, transferred to Ole Miss) has me sold that he's worth a late round stab as a conventional smart-playing off-ball LB.

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-30-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #930
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
RB Dameon Pierce, Florida - old school power back, I'd love him as the heavy-duty part of a modern day RB platoon... like a younger, likely better, Jordan Howard. Ravens seems like the perfect play, and they are LOADED with picks in round four.

He will be fantasy relevant this year in Houston. That team might not be good, but if he's half of a rotation with Burkhead? or whomever else, as the gets-the-short-TDs segment of the fleet.
Old 04-30-2022, 11:53 AM   #931
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
LB Brandon Smith, Penn State - feels like a Raven to me, sort of a tweener OLB/edge and the Ravens have churned guys like this into high profile players by year three over the last 10+ years on the regular. Intriguing.

Rhule/Carolina fit here, versatile athlete project... don't love him a lot there for immediate impact, but a nice roll of the dice I guess.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:29 PM   #932
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

WTF is up with the round 4 run on punters?
Old 04-30-2022, 12:47 PM   #933
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Yes he has a built in nickname all ready for whatever team gets him

good landing spot in Baltimore, even as the second catch-first TE for them in this draft

they were tough to handle a few years ago when Hayden Hurst was in that role alongside Mark Andrews... given the state of their WR corps, one or both of these guys can get a real shot to produce in the Roman offense
Old 04-30-2022, 12:53 PM   #934
rjolley
College Starter

I was hoping Austin III or Likely would fall to the Bears at 5.7. Either would've been a nice weapon to add for Fields.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:07 PM   #935
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
good landing spot in Baltimore, even as the second catch-first TE for them in this draft

they were tough to handle a few years ago when Hayden Hurst was in that role alongside Mark Andrews... given the state of their WR corps, one or both of these guys can get a real shot to produce in the Roman offense

woohoo finally! I agree seems to be a good place to land given their recent history of TE success there-hope the trend continues! And not a team that I root against too
Old 04-30-2022, 01:26 PM   #936
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
CB Tariq Woolen, UTSA - if you were intrigued by the Pats' pick of WR Tyquan Thornton in round two (can't play WR but at this size and speed what a dart) then this is your guy... 6'4" runs like a damned deer, and has almost no concept of coverage skills at all. But man, if he locks in and gets even pretty good at playing the position, wow wow wow.

Cannot think of a better landing spot than Seattle. Big, rangy, make plays at the line... yes.

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-30-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 02:42 PM   #937
stevew
Hall Of Famer

booming leg in buffalo seems like a good fit.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:51 PM   #938
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Dare say Poles meant it when he said the Bears o-line needed work. 4 OL picks already, with 2 more picks to go.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:12 PM   #939
QuikSand
lolzcat

For anyone out there going full draft nerd next year... I'll recommend paying attention to the teams' announced interviews, visits, and meetings... this far they have been rather predictive in seeing ahead toward the many "WTF-who?" selections I have been seeing.

This site tried to harvest and publish them this year, sorry it's an ad-soaked page: 2022 NFL Draft Prospect Visits Tracked by Team
Old 04-30-2022, 06:25 PM   #940
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Dare say Poles meant it when he said the Bears o-line needed work. 4 OL picks already, with 2 more picks to go.

Their conspicuous unwillingness to add even one conventional wide receiver is stupefying. Velus Jones Jr. profiles pretty universally as a gadget guy, maybe a return man, who may possibly have some future in time as a more legit NFL target.

But the Bears are featuring a young starting QB who NEEDS HELP, and yes the OL is part of that, but their WR room currently centers on Mooney (a legit WR2 we think/hope) and Byron Pringle (an...NFL WR4?) and now this rookie who can't run patterns. Seriously, they had ample opportunities to select a guy like WR Khalil Shakir in this draft, and went out of their way to deny such a valuable asset like that to their young signal caller. Indefensible.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:33 PM   #941
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For anyone out there going full draft nerd next year... I'll recommend paying attention to the teams' announced interviews, visits, and meetings... this far they have been rather predictive in seeing ahead toward the many "WTF-who?" selections I have been seeing.

This site tried to harvest and publish them this year, sorry it's an ad-soaked page: 2022 NFL Draft Prospect Visits Tracked by Team

Bengals took one player from that list, Taylor-Britt.

I feel like, but can't prove, that that is a departure from past practice for them. They really loaded up on high RAS players this year.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:36 PM   #942
QuikSand
lolzcat

Undrafted free agent tracker

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-30-2022 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:41 PM   #943
QuikSand
lolzcat

Dolphins sign OT UDFA Kellen Diesch, I like it...

Eagles grab RB Kennedy Brooks and CB Josh Jobe, both seem like real chances to stick

Panthers WR Charleston Rambo

Saints S Smoke Monday
Old 04-30-2022, 06:49 PM   #944
Thomkal
Head Coach

Disappointed that only Likely and Gunter (to CIN in 7th) got drafted from Coastal, but excited to see where their future leads them now. Guess I have to become a fan of that division now.

Cincy must like Coastal-they picked up RB Shermani Jones and WR Jaivon Heiligh too and Cleveland picked up LB Silas Kelly

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-30-2022 at 07:08 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:23 PM   #945
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Their conspicuous unwillingness to add even one conventional wide receiver is stupefying. Velus Jones Jr. profiles pretty universally as a gadget guy, maybe a return man, who may possibly have some future in time as a more legit NFL target.

But the Bears are featuring a young starting QB who NEEDS HELP, and yes the OL is part of that, but their WR room currently centers on Mooney (a legit WR2 we think/hope) and Byron Pringle (an...NFL WR4?) and now this rookie who can't run patterns. Seriously, they had ample opportunities to select a guy like WR Khalil Shakir in this draft, and went out of their way to deny such a valuable asset like that to their young signal caller. Indefensible.

Poles is tanking without admitting he's tanking. He's going OL in the hopes Fields doesn't die during the Season of Tank, but this roster is old, expensive, and bad. Unless they were REALLY high on a WR when their number was called, it doesn't really surprise me they don't bother. They've got so many holes to fill, and Poles doesn't need to win this year.

Next year is when he gets a massive influx of cap space, and, gasp, an actual 1st round pick, which is almost guaranteed to be top 5.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:22 PM   #946
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
booming leg in buffalo seems like a good fit.

"The Punt God". Makes me laugh every time.

Also, I haven't followed college football for a few years but I enjoyed seeing who the Patriots picked up after the draft on that tracker site: "Hurricanes QB/RB/WR D'Eriq King".

Last edited by molson : 04-30-2022 at 09:24 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 09:39 PM   #947
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Poles is tanking without admitting he's tanking. He's going OL in the hopes Fields doesn't die during the Season of Tank, but this roster is old, expensive, and bad. Unless they were REALLY high on a WR when their number was called, it doesn't really surprise me they don't bother. They've got so many holes to fill, and Poles doesn't need to win this year.

Next year is when he gets a massive influx of cap space, and, gasp, an actual 1st round pick, which is almost guaranteed to be top 5.

Yeah this is was a fairly weak receiver class. The only receiver I liked that was on the board within the range of a Bears pick was Tolbert in the 3rd, when they took Jones, and I don't think he would really help much next year. Jones at least returns kicks and fills the role Grant filled last year.

I liked attacking the O-line and secondary in this draft. Both had serious talent and depth issues.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:02 PM   #948
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
WR Justyn Ross, Clemson - need to recover from medical problems including a spinal surgery, but if he does, then you have a fairly polished 6'4" guy with a previous pedigree... some of the ingredients of a late round steal. Why not?

Saints got him as a UDFA. Considering his size and late-round/UDFA pedigree, the Colston comparisons have already begun.

EDIT--It was actually a rumor on a Saints board that I saw. Nothing actually official about him signing with the Saints that I see out there.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 04-30-2022 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:18 AM   #949
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Crazy that the last first round Saints QB was Archie Manning.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:55 AM   #950
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

In addition to Justyn Ross going undrafted, I was also somewhat surprised that teams didn't take a flyer on Carson Strong. He seemed like the consensus #6 QB on most lists. I get he had some injury concerns and doesn't have the mobility that team's want these days but he seems like a decent enough passer to be a serviceable backup, and is supposed to be fairly intelligent as well.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote