Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2003, 11:56 AM   #901
Karim
College Starter

According to the 1999 Hockey News Almanac I have, no goalie ever played in the NHL or WHA with a last name starting with Z.

(Yes, I know I'm cheating...)
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:22 PM   #902
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Ok...to make sure I'm not losing my mind here is Mike Zanier's Hockey Card on the internet hockey database. It shows he played 3 games for the Oilers in 84-85. Normally, Karim, I would let your almanac beat out my fragile memory, but I was so damn sure Zanier had played I had to check.

bbor: while I was checking up on Zanier, I ran across a Winnipeg Jets left handed goalie by the name of Markus Mattsson. How you could confuse the 80's Jets with the 80's Oilers is beyond me though

Last edited by klayman : 06-01-2003 at 01:23 PM.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:31 PM   #903
bbor
Pro Starter

That's him!!

Klayman..you DA MAN!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:32 PM   #904
Karim
College Starter

Damn that Bob McKenzie...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 08:49 AM   #905
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Karim
According to the 1999 Hockey News Almanac I have, no goalie ever played in the NHL or WHA with a last name starting with Z.

(Yes, I know I'm cheating...)
On a somewhat (OK, not really) related note...

A strange piece of hockey trivia: until the Shark's Evgeni Nabovkov came along, no goalie with the last initial "N" had ever won an NHL playoff game.

There just aren't very many N-goalies... I don't know what happened to them. My guess is that they're being kept in a locked room somewhere with all the blue food.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 02:26 PM   #906
klayman
College Benchwarmer

On another somewhat related note the Oilers are shopping Salo...I think Salo to the Avalanche for Sakic and Forsberg is a fair trade

Maybe we'll throw in a late round draft pick if they agree to pay the salaries.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:32 PM   #907
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ducks win!!

2-2
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:39 PM   #908
bbor
Pro Starter

Damn..i thought this series was over..

congrats to the Ducks for finding their game.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:17 AM   #909
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

They are unbeatable in OT.

Todd
MizzouRah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #910
henry296
College Starter

I really thought I might be up late waiting for a goal and than bam, right away it is over.

You can't beat the drama of OT playoff hockey in any sport.

Todd
Old 06-03-2003, 10:00 AM   #911
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Well, we have 6 games for sure now, might go all the way to 7.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:19 PM   #912
tucker342
Pro Starter

Wouldn't surprise me if it did...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 12:35 AM   #913
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Sorry, I'm going to go off on a rant here.

Fucking Colin White was out of position on the goal in Game 4. He screwed the Devils in Game 5 against Ottawa, he screwed the Devils against Colorado in the 2001 Finals, and he almost screwed the Devils in 2000 against Dallas. I don't know why the fuck every Devils coach, from Ftorek to Robinson to Constantine to Burns, has this infatuation with Colin White. Every time there's a puck in the low slot near Brodeur, look for Colin White. Chances are that he's straddling the goal line six feet from the net or actually BEHIND the net for some inexplicable reason.

The Ducks did a good job of getting into position on the winning goal Monday night, but if you can find a replay, note that Colin White is attacking an imaginary forward on the goal line to Brodeur's left. Steve Thomas let a good shot go, but White was supposed to be in position to block that shot.

I can't explain the Colin White lovefest, but I sure as hell hope it ends soon. Scratch him and give me Daneyko back. Kenny can't skate, Kenny can't shoot, and Kenny can't smile without frightening people, but at least he plays defense.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:29 AM   #914
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

White is big and mean. Coaches give guys like him a lot of leeway.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 06-04-2003 at 08:29 AM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:22 AM   #915
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I just heard that Sidney Crosby is going to be playing QMJH next year. The draft is Saturday and he will be the #1 pick.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:25 AM   #916
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Perhaps Richard Smehlik isn't big and mean, but he's gotten almost no chances from Pat Burns in the playoffs. White has been out of position consistently in big situations, yet he still hits the ice at crunch time. I think I'd rather have a crafty vet like Smehlik out there in overtime, given a choice between White and a guy who barely plays now.

You don't see the Ducks throwing Kurt Sauer into the game to protect a tied score, because he's a rookie and Anaheim has guys like Salei and Havelid who are less likely to make mistakes. The Devils have Niedermayer, Stevens, Albelin, and even Rafalski who know how to position themselves. Hell, Niedermayer and Rafalski may pinch, but they generally know how to protect the defensive zone. The only time White even uses his "toughness" is when someone crashes into Brodeur (obviously) or when a penalty gets called on him. Then White starts mouthing off at the refs. Colin White can't clear people from the slot, he can't backcheck if he gets caught up ice, he's always out of position in the defensive zone. I don't have his ice time numbers in front of me, but assuming he plays 20:00 per game, he looks completely lost for a third of that, and that's usually when defense matters most.

Does it show that I don't like the guy?

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 06-04-2003 at 09:25 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:06 AM   #917
bbor
Pro Starter

I'd like to have White on my team...of course i havent watched him play all year.

Old 06-04-2003, 12:32 PM   #918
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Gotta agree with the White hatefest. He should be replaced with Smehlik. Then pair Smehlik with Albelin on the 3rd defensive line.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:24 AM   #919
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was sad when Buffalo traded away Smehlik. Zhitnik and Smehlik were a fun defensive pairing. It was fun to say, "Zhitnik and Smehlik." It's sort of like Foote and Finn, though even more fun.

Colin White. He's good for PIMs and a good +/-. At least that's what fantasy hockey has taught me. He has had a cool play-off beard in the past too. Makes him look even meaner. I, like bbor, would like to have White on my team and have not watched him play all year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 07:55 PM   #920
henry296
College Starter

Holy Goals Batman. 2-2 at the end of one.

Todd
Old 06-05-2003, 08:35 PM   #921
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Now who was talking about a lack of scoring... they can make it all up tonight .
Old 06-05-2003, 09:01 PM   #922
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm happy- this is the first game that really is exciting. They have these things called "chances" that seemed to be missing from the previous games.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:23 PM   #923
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This always happens once every finals the Devils are in. One game they throw everything to chance and just attack... and usually win.

5-3 Devs... let's see if they can hold on.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:34 PM   #924
Travis
Pro Rookie

Doesn't look like we'll be entering the twilight zone of overtime tonight. Ever get the feeling that once 60 is over, it's the Ducks game no matter what?
Old 06-05-2003, 09:45 PM   #925
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Man O' Man, what an offensive show by the Devils... it's all about home ice... both teams look unbeatable on theirs!
Old 06-05-2003, 09:50 PM   #926
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Home... ice... advantage?

SI

Old 06-05-2003, 09:53 PM   #927
sabotai
General Manager

After that, it's hard to think that the Devils won't win this.

Maybe it was just a bad night for the Ducks. They happen. But all the Devils need is one more. One more bad night for the Ducks, and it's over.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 09:52 AM   #928
Travis
Pro Rookie

So let's see, this sets up a 1-0 double OT win for the Ducks back at the pond, then a 4-2 game 7 victory for the Devils on home ice to take the cup.

Though the question is now, should the Devils take the Cup, who grabs MVP?
Old 06-06-2003, 01:36 PM   #929
bbor
Pro Starter

Jiggy gets MVP whether they win or not......There is NO WAy the Ducks are anywhere near the finals without him.He has put on one of the greatest exhibitions of goaltending in the modern era.

That being said...i hope this series goes to game 7 and ends in a 9-8 victory for one of the teams in OT.

Maybe if the guys who want more offence in a game actually see a high scoring game like this they will remember why they did'nt like it.

Old 06-06-2003, 01:48 PM   #930
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

If the Devs win, the MVP will be either: Marty Brodeur, Jaime Langenbrunner, Scott Stevens, or John Madden.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:24 PM   #931
Vince
Pro Starter

Is it just me, or lately every time the Ducks lose "we didn't play our style of hockey." Sounds kind of lame to me...that's all they said after the first two games...so frickin' change it for chrissakes. I might be way off base here, but to use that as your excuse for one game is fine. Two games is pushing it, and three games is ridiculous.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 03:07 PM   #932
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Whenever you lose, you didn't play your style . Every style requires a win at the end of it .
Old 06-06-2003, 03:18 PM   #933
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Jiggy gets MVP whether they win or not......There is NO WAy the Ducks are anywhere near the finals without him.He has put on one of the greatest exhibitions of goaltending in the modern era.

That being said...i hope this series goes to game 7 and ends in a 9-8 victory for one of the teams in OT.

Maybe if the guys who want more offence in a game actually see a high scoring game like this they will remember why they did'nt like it.

I'm not saying 9-8 is good. I want to see chances and goaltending- this can result in a 1-0 game if the goalies are at the top of their game. But a 1-0 game with 30 shots between the two teams is just mindless skating. It might as well be soccer at that point.

SI

Old 06-06-2003, 08:40 PM   #934
tucker342
Pro Starter

Without Jiggy, they probably would have been swept in the first round by the Red Wings
Old 06-06-2003, 10:12 PM   #935
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, and without Brodeur the Devils wouldn't have gotten this far either .

But saying they would have been swept gives NO credit to the amazing defensive play of the Ducks! They haven't just stood around and watch Giguere! They've played their asses off, giving their goalie some protection!
Old 06-07-2003, 06:31 PM   #936
GMO
Mascot

The recent Stanley Cup finals has been boring, according to a lot of people.
Should hockey be changed to make it more exciting?

Should the nets be increased in size so that more goals are scored?
Should the red line be gotten rid of?
Should 2-line passing be allowed?
Should the ice surface in the NHL be gradually increased to International size? (Though this will take a lot of time because you would have to wait until current arenas get too old and have to be replaced by new arenas).
Should more obstruction, interference and holding penalties be called?
Any other ideas?

Or is hockey just fine the way it is, and don't fool around with a great sport?
GMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 08:08 PM   #937
tucker342
Pro Starter

complete domination so far 3-0 Anahiem!
Old 06-07-2003, 08:24 PM   #938
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui
Yeah, and without Brodeur the Devils wouldn't have gotten this far either .

But saying they would have been swept gives NO credit to the amazing defensive play of the Ducks! They haven't just stood around and watch Giguere! They've played their asses off, giving their goalie some protection!

Ya, your right... it would have been a much different series though...
Old 06-07-2003, 10:06 PM   #939
tucker342
Pro Starter

domination by the Ducks!

Game 7, here we come!!!
Old 06-07-2003, 11:19 PM   #940
sabotai
General Manager

"Or is hockey just fine the way it is, and don't fool around with a great sport?"

Maybe a couple of minor things can be changed, but changing things to just make it easier to score is just not hockey. It's an artificial inflation fo scores.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 03:37 PM   #941
bbor
Pro Starter

WHat a great series

Old 06-08-2003, 07:27 PM   #942
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Do away with the two line pass calls, that would open things up a bit.

Whistle automatic icings like in international play.

Don't protect the goalies once they leave the crease to make a play on the puck, they should be fair game at that point.

Call the obstruction like it really should be called and call it the same regardless of what point in the game it is. I hate the arguement of 'let the players decide the game' when it comes to this. If you are essentially allowing the players to cheat than you are not really letting the players decide the game.

I would also love to see the ice rink go to international size as well. That opens the ice up for the skilled players even more.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 08:41 PM   #943
tucker342
Pro Starter

I agree with you on all most all of those especially the don't protect the goalies onece they leave the crease one.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:20 PM   #944
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Who's in the finals anyway? If I wanted to see a bunch of white guys with no teeth beat up on eachother, I would go to one of my family reunions.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:55 PM   #945
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpieman
Who's in the finals anyway? If I wanted to see a bunch of white guys with no teeth beat up on eachother, I would go to one of my family reunions.

Disgruntled NASCAR fan?

SI

Old 06-09-2003, 11:14 AM   #946
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I can't believe that the DUCKS are one game away from possibly winning the Stanley Cup. While I believe that the experience of the Devils will prevail, the Ducks have impressed me. I hope they try and keep the team together. Maybe get Selanne back?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 11:17 AM   #947
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Wouldn't that be beautiful? Selanne and Kariya back together!

Well, one more night and then we can look forward to the draft!

EHM, we need you!
Old 06-09-2003, 11:26 AM   #948
henry296
College Starter

I remember the 87 World Series where the home team won every game. Has that ever happened in the Stanley Cup finals?

Todd
Old 06-09-2003, 12:04 PM   #949
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Yeah, but it's been a while; 70's I think?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:42 PM   #950
bbor
Pro Starter

Game 7 is always a Pick-em game...with a slight advantage to the home team...and whoever scores the games first goal