Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #901
hawk4669
High School JV

Hit Level 13 today. Woot!

...and I bought some premium nuggets a while back. Been using the 4 job line up one and the energy one. Seems to be helping me a bunch.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #902
Philliesfan980
Banned

As mentioned earlier in the thread today, this is my first day, and I'm having a really good time so far. I like how you can set jobs and basically forget about it, so I'll be able to really gain a lot of ground while I'm at work. I just crossed over to level 2 an hour ago.

Dumb question, but how do you actually sell things in a visting town? When I click on the general store and try and unload some things (ie cotton and tobacco), it says that I need to visit the town. Aren't I visiting already? Again, sorry if this has already been discussed, this thread is quite long.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #903
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Nope, was proven not to be possible yesterday.

FM

Thought so - I know someone else asked it

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #904
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
As mentioned earlier in the thread today, this is my first day, and I'm having a really good time so far. I like how you can set jobs and basically forget about it, so I'll be able to really gain a lot of ground while I'm at work. I just crossed over to level 2 an hour ago.

Dumb question, but how do you actually sell things in a visting town? When I click on the general store and try and unload some things (ie cotton and tobacco), it says that I need to visit the town. Aren't I visiting already? Again, sorry if this has already been discussed, this thread is quite long.

If you click on the signpost (in the store, or in the main town screen) that will send you there. Once you get there, you can sell stuff.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #905
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I am halfway to level 8 now, slowly but surely making my way through stuff Had I not sold my raven feather from earlier, I wouldn't have had to waste 3 hours scaring crows to get another one...I am going to hold on to some of this stuff a little longer now, heh.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #906
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Cool. I think I'll test out the nuggets.

Thanks for the advice, Frog.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #907
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

Your character needs to be at the town, not simply you clicking on the town's icon. To go to the town, click the post at the bottom of the town screen. It'll show a "walk to" kind of screen for you to say you want to walk to the town... Once there, you can do what you were trying...

Glad you like the game. I too can't log in during the day. See my discussion of what I do before going off to work... I really like that I can feel my character still advancing while I'm off working...

FM
Old 04-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #908
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Your character needs to be at the town, not simply you clicking on the town's icon. To go to the town, click the post at the bottom of the town screen. It'll show a "walk to" kind of screen for you to say you want to walk to the town... Once there, you can do what you were trying...

Glad you like the game. I too can't log in during the day. See my discussion of what I do before going off to work... I really like that I can feel my character still advancing while I'm off working...

FM

Thanks for the advice on the town activities.

I probably worded my original message poorly, but I *CAN* access this website at work, so I'll be able to make a lot of progress while I'm at work. What I was trying to say was it doesn't take a lot of effort to make a 2 hour move in the game - probably 30-60 seconds, so it really won't interfere with my day job. I should be able to make a ton of progress this week considering how much time I have to spend at the office

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute in some way to one of the towns in the not so distant future.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #909
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

Be careful selling product like tobacco, cotton etc.. You may need these later for other quests.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #910
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Be careful selling product like tobacco, cotton etc.. You may need these later for other quests.

Ok, so from a cash management strategy, in the early levels, don't worry so much about cash on hand and just worry about advancement objectives, right?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #911
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Ok, so from a cash management strategy, in the early levels, don't worry so much about cash on hand and just worry about advancement objectives, right?

Right
Old 04-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #912
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I probably worded my original message poorly, but I *CAN* access this website at work, so I'll be able to make a lot of progress while I'm at work. What I was trying to say was it doesn't take a lot of effort to make a 2 hour move in the game - probably 30-60 seconds, so it really won't interfere with my day job. I should be able to make a ton of progress this week considering how much time I have to spend at the office

oh, cool for you then.

It's true that it doesn't take too much time, especially in the early levels. After that, it only takes a bit more planning as more jobs becomes available...

FM
Old 04-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #913
Philliesfan980
Banned

Another stupid question: I'm trying to complete the Sugar Cane mission in level two, but it says I need more labor points (I have 3-3 = 0). I then went and picked some cotton for 30 minutes, but when I try and pick sugar cane, I'm still at the same position (3-3 = 0). How do I overcome this?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #914
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
It's true that it doesn't take too much time, especially in the early levels. After that, it only takes a bit more planning as more jobs becomes available...

replaying to myself to talk about planning since there've been a few new players over the weekend. Two very useful tools for you.

1) The West Stats - you create an account over there and you can import to it your character's skills and inventory and then use their job calculator that will tell you which job you can and can't do but not only that, you can also sort by which of the jobs you can do that are most rewarding in money, or experience. Extremely useful!

2) The West Insider - very similar to The West Stats except you don't create and account as it's generated on the spot. Seems to take into account how many labour points you have for a certain job, and you can also tweak motivation to see which one should be paying the most, straight up, or including the possible items you should be able to find...

FM
Old 04-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #915
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Another stupid question: I'm trying to complete the Sugar Cane mission in level two, but it says I need more labor points (I have 3-3 = 0). I then went and picked some cotton for 30 minutes, but when I try and pick sugar cane, I'm still at the same position (3-3 = 0). How do I overcome this?

your addition of the 5 skills needed to do the job need to be one point higher than the difficulty of the job. Doing another job won't increase your skills, leveling up will. When you level up, you get 1 attribute point and 3 skill points. You should use one of those skills point on one of the skills needed to pick sugar cane, i.e. vigor, toughness, fine motor skills, repairing, or trading. Then you'll have enough skill to do the job of picking sugar cane...

FM
Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #916
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
your addition of the 5 skills needed to do the job need to be one point higher than the difficulty of the job. Doing another job won't increase your skills, leveling up will. When you level up, you get 1 attribute point and 3 skill points. You should use one of those skills point on one of the skills needed to pick sugar cane, i.e. vigor, toughness, fine motor skills, repairing, or trading. Then you'll have enough skill to do the job of picking sugar cane...

FM

Thanks. I currently have one unused attribute point, but am having trouble finding where to apply the attribute points. I have no trouble using my skill points.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #917
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Thanks. I currently have one unused attribute point, but am having trouble finding where to apply the attribute points. I have no trouble using my skill points.

attribute points go to one class of skills, to the left of the screen: strength, mobility, dexterity, charisma. And they add +1 to each of the 5 skills in their class.

FM
Old 04-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #918
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
attribute points go to one class of skills, to the left of the screen: strength, mobility, dexterity, charisma. And they add +1 to each of the 5 skills in their class.

FM

Fantastic! Now I have enough to do the sugar cane mission. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #919
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I think I am going to create a soldier on another world (as Im kind of iffy on if I am allowed to do it in the same world. I have heard mention of not being able to duel each other but unsure if thats legit) and was wondering what stats I should pimp from the get go.

I plan on being a ranged soldier.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #920
Danny
Head Coach

I have two characters on our world. My second is a solder. I'm not going to duel with my adeventurer, so I don't have to worry about messing up with the rules.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #921
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

In that case Ill do the same.

Are you going with a pure build for your solider or dispersing your stats?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #922
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Didn't know whether everyone saw this already or not so ... details of an update schedule to come on April 29th.

Update to version 1.19 - Forum The West
Hey everyone,

Work on version 1.19 has nearly been completed so we can now reveal some of the details about the contents of the update.

The biggest changes are to items:

* Some items can only be worn by men or women
* There will be new sets of items (more below)
* Some of the old items will be grouped into sets of items
* If you wear more than one item from a grouped set of items (for example gray rags, gray shoes) you will receive an extra skill bonus
* Most new items will be available in town shops
* Some existing items will have new bonuses

The new sets of clothing will be:

* Mexican
* Pigrim (male)
* Pilgrim (female)
* Dancer (female)
* Gentleman (male)
* Farmer
* Quaker
* Indian

Other changes include:

* A more flexible design of the homepage
* The town forum link is not shown if you are not in a town
* It will be possible to report offensive telegrams and profiles
* Misc bug fixes

We hope to update our worlds with version 1.19 on the 29th of April.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #923
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
In that case Ill do the same.

Are you going with a pure build for your solider or dispersing your stats?

Pure build for a melee soldier. It does make leveling a pain once you reach level 8, but since my adventurer levels pretty quickly I don't mind the slow leveling.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #924
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oh, very interesting Jon. No word on if this update will include Forts... They hinted at it for some time now...

FM
Old 04-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #925
dacman
College Benchwarmer

I joined Friday, and have worked my way down to El Dolado. Currently lvl 5.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #926
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

By the by, I'm hanging out around Troutville, sitting at level 6. They have a shirt I want in town, hence the reason I strolled thataway.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 04-19-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #927
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Hokie, dumped 150 in El Dolado and left the town.

Does Troutville need money too? I figure I'll rotate between the 2.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #928
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
They have a shirt I want in town, hence the reason I strolled thataway.

not sure you were there when we talked about some of the advantages of having two FOFC town, but having diversity in the shops was one of them. Good for you. And it'll get even better when we'll have some items costing $2000+ (for town members no less) and the choice will be doubled...

FM
Old 04-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #929
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
not sure you were there when we talked about some of the advantages of having two FOFC town, but having diversity in the shops was one of them. Good for you.

Definitely. I started to comment on this earlier but got sidetracked with the PPV. This is pretty much what I pictured as being one of the main points of two towns, the diversity of items that become available. I fully expect us to move back & forth as practical needs arise like this, that's one of the benefits.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #930
chinaski
College Prospect

Upgraded the Tailor to Level 2 earlier today...ill post the new items to the google site in a bit (been out enjoying the sun most the day, 80 degrees in Portland!) - Just from a quick glance, I dont think we have any different items from the 2nd level upgrade than in El Dolarado.

Hit Level 14 as well! LP is now @ 196.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #931
chinaski
College Prospect

el dola, also im 35% thru Residences level 2.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #932
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Hit Level 14 as well! LP is now @ 196.

nice! Keep it going up!

FM
Old 04-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #933
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Definitely. I started to comment on this earlier but got sidetracked with the PPV. This is pretty much what I pictured as being one of the main points of two towns, the diversity of items that become available. I fully expect us to move back & forth as practical needs arise like this, that's one of the benefits.

yeah, thought I'd give an example of stuff I bought from the other town I was in, both hats:
Fancy Cap, $520, +6 toughness, +4 aim, +4 tactics, +4 reflex
Fancy Bowler Hat, $1850, +1 charisma, +11 trading, +6 toughness, +5 repairing, +5 horseback riding

You can start drooling now....

FM
Old 04-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #934
dbd1963
High School JV

I'm level 13 now and I still can't hunt that dang turkey..
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #935
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I say we have at least 20 FOFC towns! Spam the map with our goodness!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #936
chinaski
College Prospect

Census updated with Tailor 2 items. Looks like theres some different new items from El Dolarado, like the $80 Yellow Poncho (+3 dodging, +4 trading).

Old 04-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #937
Danny
Head Coach

Can Huckleberry get an invite to Troutville CHinaski?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #938
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just gave collaborator status to Dataking who offered to help with the census.

I also added a date field called "Last update" in the census. Currently blank for everyone, will simply need to be put to the day's date whenever an update is done. That way, we'll know who needs updating.

Also, if you visit the census and see that your character needs updating, you can let one of the five following people know about it: FrogMan, JonInMiddleGA, Chinaski, Danny, Dataking with Danny and Dataking being the main updaters of the census...

FM
Old 04-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #939
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Can Huckleberry get an invite to Troutville CHinaski?

You bet, whats the exact player name? It couldnt find Huckleberry.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #940
Danny
Head Coach

Huckleberry McGrain
Old 04-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #941
chinaski
College Prospect

Sent!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #942
Danny
Head Coach

Thanks, since there is still three opening, I will finish off the work Im doing and then come over there tonight and put the money in and then leave.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #943
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I'll be helping to keep the Census on the Google page up to date. If you don't want to post here when you ding, feel free to send me an IM instead.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #944
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I'll be helping to keep the Census on the Google page up to date. If you don't want to post here when you ding, feel free to send me an IM instead.

johnnyshaka, level 4

Thanks.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #945
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Level 9!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #946
dacman
College Benchwarmer

I'm dacman here and there. I may give myself a more "western" name later. Level 6 now.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #947
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So, what's the trick for filling the gap to get from level 7 to level 10? The early quests allow you to move up fairly rapidly. But the current quests have jobs that require a higher skillset than I currently have. The past few days I seem to be accumulating XP at a snail's pace. Do you just have to keep grinding for a couple of hours at a time on various jobs, or is there some secret trick that I'm overlooking?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #948
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So, what's the trick for filling the gap to get from level 7 to level 10? The early quests allow you to move up fairly rapidly. But the current quests have jobs that require a higher skillset than I currently have. The past few days I seem to be accumulating XP at a snail's pace. Do you just have to keep grinding for a couple of hours at a time on various jobs, or is there some secret trick that I'm overlooking?

you should be able to start doing jobs that are not necessarily part of quests, but that have a bit higher in experience. Sometimes yeah, you have to grind it out, then you hit a quest line with a bunch of experience bonus...

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #949
dbd1963
High School JV

Use the job calculator over on westats.com:

The West Stats and Tools

You have to upload your stats and equipment first, but the links on the left toward the bottom under inventory, "my skills" and "my equipment" will tell you how to do that. Then you can go to the job calculator, filter out jobs you can't do, and then sort the list on your criterion (here, it'd be experience). Your best options will be lowest on the page.

For me, it's cowboy right now. I get good experience out of that one until my guy gets tired of it. When that happens, you have to do something else until your enthusiasm for the job can recover.

That's the only secret I know about at any rate.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #950
Danny
Head Coach

Managed to barely hit level 18 and level 11 this morning. Still haven't been able to get that flag though.