Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #901
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
blech but I guess it is a good situation for him. A known starter and a veteran backup ahead of him. Zorn is also a QB coach so that should help with development.

Wow. Your Rainbows goggles extend to the NFL too?

He will be much better suited for the CFL or esp. the AFL.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #902
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
So is this guy like an anti-Pat Tillman?

no
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #903
SackAttack
Head Coach

Woo, just saw that a couple of guys I interviewed for the COC newspaper back in the day after Cougar football wins got drafted. Joey LaRocque in the 7th to Chicago, Justin Tryon in the 4th to Washington.

Tryon was a ballhawk when I saw him play, and LaRocque had a habit of just laying nasty hits on guys over the middle. Been a couple years since I've seen either one play, but I hope they manage to stick with their new teams.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #904
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I'm pretty much guaranteed to take a trip up to Oxnard to the Cowboys' training camp this summer--wearing a #22 Tashard Georgia Tech jersey and all.

I've already informed the wife I'm getting a Tashard Choice jersey. He'll have a lot to live up to wearing 22 in Dallas though.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #905
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Someone else will have to post bond the next time his dumbass brother gets in jail.

As long as he convinces his cousin to play for Minnesota over Miami, I'll be happy whatever the Steelers do for him.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-27-2008 at 09:49 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #906
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Erin Henderson is another kid I really like that is still on the borad.

Henderson has signed with the Vikings.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #907
Groundhog
Coordinator

Though I'm only familiar with about two/two-and-a-half round's worth of rookies, I like what Denver, Kansas City, Dolphins, Carolina, and the Jets did.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:22 AM   #908
JeeberD
General Manager

Apparently QB/WR/ATH Lorne Sam has signed a free agent deal with the Broncos. I'm 98% sure he'll be trying to make the team as a WR, where he showed some good potential.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:39 AM   #909
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Speaking of WRs. I didn't have much of a problem with the Packers taking Jordy Nelson with their first pick at all. I chuckled a little when they drafted another WR in the 7th, because I knew some fans would be having a fit.

Now though, I am wondering. Who is going to be cut out of the WR party in GB? Jordy makes the 53 man roster I am sure. With the Packers often running 4 and 5 WR sets, keeping 6 active wouldn't be a big deal for them. Still, there is a ton of competition at WR for the Packers.

Donald Driver
Greg Jennings
James Jones
Koren Robinson
Ruvell Martin (don't overlook this guy, Favre liked him and he is said to be Rodgers' favorite WR since he worked with him the most)
Carlyle Holiday (another 2nd year guy like Martin and Jones, who the first half of the year was the 5th WR instead of Martin)

Now throw in two rookies and 3 others young WRs already on the roster. Holy crap that will be a crazy training camp at WR. Maybe they will be able to trade someone near the end of camp for a draft pick or something if it goes good enough.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #910
Logan
Head Coach

Chiefs fans...I already loved your draft but now I have a personal interest in the team. Rutgers FS Ron Girault has signed a UDFA deal with KC. The kid can absolutely play. You watch him and he doesn't really do anything spectacular but at the same time, he makes all his tackles, doesn't get burned by receivers, and is in the right place at the right time. His agent said he chose KC over other offers because of the lack of depth on the roster and if that's true (not really sure where you stand but I know they took a S in the 3rd), I think he'll play his way onto the 53-man. He's got good size and ran a 4.46 at Rutgers' Pro Day.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #911
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Chiefs fans...I already loved your draft but now I have a personal interest in the team. Rutgers FS Ron Girault has signed a UDFA deal with KC. The kid can absolutely play. You watch him and he doesn't really do anything spectacular but at the same time, he makes all his tackles, doesn't get burned by receivers, and is in the right place at the right time. His agent said he chose KC over other offers because of the lack of depth on the roster and if that's true (not really sure where you stand but I know they took a S in the 3rd), I think he'll play his way onto the 53-man. He's got good size and ran a 4.46 at Rutgers' Pro Day.

You obviously weren't watching the Louisville game

Then again, anyone who has to make up for the god awful McCourty twins gets my vote.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #912
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Noop, I heard that Glenn signed a FA deal with the Falcons. Is that right? If so, that's kinda cool that two big time college players with FOFC ties ended up on the same team.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-28-2008 at 08:46 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #913
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

We've got two young safeties that basically started out of necessity last year. They've got potential, but I'd agree with his assessment that there's no veterans that stand in his way. Also, Herm Edwards is not afraid to throw young players into the mix if they perform well in training camp.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #914
miked
College Starter

In other RU news, my friend tells me Foster signed with the Colts, and Renkart is close to signing with the Jets. If anyone needs shitty kickoffs, they can sign Ito. Maybe on a weekly basis, teams that are playing the Bears can ink Ito so they can ensure no kickoffs actually reach him.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #915
Thomkal
Head Coach

anybody got a link to the undrafted free agent signings? Or tell me who the Cards got?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #916
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
anybody got a link to the undrafted free agent signings? Or tell me who the Cards got?

This is one of the best sites I've found for free agent signings..........

http://fflivewire.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128822
Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #917
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Mizzou beat me to it, that's the best one I've found so far.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #918
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

QB Anthony Morelli
G Carlton Medder
DL Bryan Robinson
DL Kellen Dykes
Old 04-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #919
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

from the link mentioned earlier
Cardinals T Thaddeus Coleman (Mississippi Valley State)
Cardinals QB Anthony Morelli (Penn State)
Cardinals T Hercules Satele (Hawaii)
Cardinals DT Keilen Dykes (West Virginia)
Cardinals DL Bryan Robinson (Wesley College)
Cardinals G Carlton Medder (Florida)
Cardinals FB Dionte Johnson (OSU)
Cardinals LB Ali Highsmith (LSU)
Old 04-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #920
rjolley
College Starter

Nice to see the 2 NW Missouri State players get picked up. Omon, a very good RB, was drafted in the 6th round by Buffalo, and Peterson, a TE, was signed by Green Bay. I'll be a casual fan of the Bills for a bit, but not even a fellow Bearcat on the squad can make me feel anything but rivalry hate for the Packers.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #921
SackAttack
Head Coach

I can't believe Tony Temple didn't get drafted. I hope he survives the cuts in Cleveland.

I'm also surprised, for a team that was #1 in the country at one point, how many Missouri players were UDFA signees. You'd have thought there'd be a little more interest in them than that.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #922
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I can't believe Tony Temple didn't get drafted. I hope he survives the cuts in Cleveland.

I'm also surprised, for a team that was #1 in the country at one point, how many Missouri players were UDFA signees. You'd have thought there'd be a little more interest in them than that.

At some level, I'm sure NFL execs are writing off the offensive numbers as part of the system that Mizzou runs. Temple had some pretty large openings to run through thanks to that passing attack. Wideouts everywhere help the receiver numbers. I do think that Rucker is going to end up being a fine player for Cleveland. His athletic ability for his size is amazing. There's a lot of similarities between him and Tony Gonzalez.

Draft position shouldn't be too much of an issue next year for Mizzou. William Moore is already considered a top 10 pick for next year and another big year for Chase Daniel should be a big boost for his stock. Chase Coffman will also be a high pick.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #923
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Draft position shouldn't be too much of an issue next year for Mizzou. William Moore is already considered a top 10 pick for next year and another big year for Chase Daniel should be a big boost for his stock. Chase Coffman will also be a high pick.

Chase Daniel will not be a high draft pick. Maybe a midround pick at best, no matter what he does this year, unless he figures out a way to grow a few inches.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-28-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #924
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Chase Daniel will not be a high draft pick. Maybe a midround pick at best, no matter what he does this year, unless he figures out a way to grow a few inches.

He's actually still growing. He's hit the 6 foot mark roughly a year ago, which is generally the starting point as far as height to be a draftable QB. He started at 5'10" when he first arrived at Mizzou. They expect him to reach 6'1" by the time he graduates. If he can reach 6'1", he could easily be a 2nd round pick assuming another big year, which would be quite good.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #925
Swaggs
Coordinator

I can believe that Chase Daniel has grown from 5'10 to 6'1 in the Mizzou media guide, but I would guess that the folks that do the measuring for the NFL may see things differently.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #926
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I can believe that Chase Daniel has grown from 5'10 to 6'1 in the Mizzou media guide, but I would guess that the folks that do the measuring for the NFL may see things differently.

Exactly. Humans generally don't grow 3 inches after their 18th birthday.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #927
stevew
Hall Of Famer

6 foot nothing QB's are usually successful at the NFL level. Remember how Wuerffel tore shit up?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #928
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
6 foot nothing QB's are usually successful at the NFL level. Remember how Wuerffel tore shit up?

don't dis doug flutie
Old 04-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #929
Thomkal
Head Coach

thanks guys for the links and Cards signings
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #930
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

He's a legit 6 foot. Let's just say I have some pretty good knowledge of the situation. He measured out at 6 feet, 1/4 inches during spring drills. 6'1" is an inflated number.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #931
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This has potential to devolve into one of the dumbest arguments in FOFC history.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #932
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
This has potential to devolve into one of the dumbest arguments in FOFC history.

was he wearing shoes during the measurement?

Last edited by rkmsuf : 04-28-2008 at 01:31 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #933
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Flip Flops, socks and jean shorts.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #934
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Flip Flops, socks and jean shorts.

how thick were the flip flops?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #935
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Agreed. I'm not sure what the big debate is. For that matter, the fact that the NFL execs lend that much credence to the difference between 5'11" and 6'0" rather than their talent level is equally as baffling.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #936
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Now though, I am wondering. Who is going to be cut out of the WR party in GB? Jordy makes the 53 man roster I am sure. With the Packers often running 4 and 5 WR sets, keeping 6 active wouldn't be a big deal for them. Still, there is a ton of competition at WR for the Packers.

Donald Driver
Greg Jennings
James Jones
Koren Robinson
Ruvell Martin (don't overlook this guy, Favre liked him and he is said to be Rodgers' favorite WR since he worked with him the most)
Carlyle Holiday (another 2nd year guy like Martin and Jones, who the first half of the year was the 5th WR instead of Martin)

Now throw in two rookies and 3 others young WRs already on the roster. Holy crap that will be a crazy training camp at WR. Maybe they will be able to trade someone near the end of camp for a draft pick or something if it goes good enough.
My guess is Driver, Jennings, Jones, Jordy, K-Rob and Martin make the team. Then, Swain goes to the practice squad. Holiday was released in Feb and is no longer on the team. One guy I could see get moved is Robinson - he was more of a Favre favorite and isn't really needed now.

I see them having Driver as the SE, Jennings as the flanker and Jones/Jordy in the slot. Both have good speed and are strong across the middle. Jordy was compared to Dwight Clark or Ed McCaffrey with a little more speed. K-Rob is more of a homerun threat with questionable hands. And, given Jones and Jordy have similar speed, there's no real reason to play him over those guys (who have more upside).
Old 04-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #937
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Agreed. I'm not sure what the big debate is. For that matter, the fact that the NFL execs lend that much credence to the difference between 5'11" and 6'0" rather than their talent level is equally as baffling.

Either way, he's still not big enough. Most NFL Execs will not want to risk their career on him by making him an early draft pick. Guys around 6 foot often times have trouble making the necessary pro throws.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #938
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Daniels' bigger problem is his performance against upper echelon teams. Over the past two years he's struggled against Oklahoma and bowl opponents. Until he shows that he can put up the same numbers against top competition, I believe NFL guys will hesitate.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #939
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Packers TE Michael Peterson (Northwest Missouri State)
Packers LB Danny Lansanah (UConn)
Packers RB Kregg Lumpkin (Georgia)
Packers WR Taj Smith (Syracuse)
Packers LS J.J. Jansen (Notre Dame)
Packers P Ken Debauche (Wisconsin)
Packers RB Justin Beaver (UW-Whitewater)
Packers LB Marcus Riley (Fresno State)
Packers C Brennen Carvalho (Portland State)
Packers WR Jake Allen (Mississippi College)
I could see DeBauche giving Ryan a run at punter. I also think TE Peterson has an outside chance at the 3rd TE spot depending on his ST play. Do any SEC guys know much about the Georgia RB? All I've read is that he's had some bad injuries (ACL and thumb).

I'm guessing 1-2 of the rest may make the practice squad. GB's always had a strong showing for undrafted guys (a la Bigby, Grant, Gado).
Old 04-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #940
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Daniels' bigger problem is his performance against upper echelon teams. Over the past two years he's struggled against Oklahoma and bowl opponents. Until he shows that he can put up the same numbers against top competition, I believe NFL guys will hesitate.

Well, Oklahoma is the only bowl team that Mizzou lost to last year. They handily won against all of the other opponents, including a convincing win over the Orange Bowl champs. But I do agree that he needs to lead them to a B12 conference title and a BCS win to improve his stock to that higher level.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #941
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

NFL QBs(other than complete scrubinies) 6-1 or less:

Rex Grossman 6-1
Brooks Bollinger - he's probably a scrubiny at this point
Drew Brees 6-1
Mark Brunell 6-1
Seneca Wallace 5-11
Brock Berlin 6-1 - I've heard of him I guess. #3 for the Rams is pretty scrubiny.
Jeff Garcia 6-1
Bruce Gradowski 6-1

he better get to 6-1 to have a whif of a chance. even then it's not a great list outside of Brees and maybe Garcia
Old 04-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #942
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Do any SEC guys know much about the Georgia RB? All I've read is that he's had some bad injuries (ACL and thumb).

SD or GD or one of the actual UGA fans could give you a more detailed assessment but basically he was a guy who didn't get all that many chances in his career.

His career stats tell at least some of the story.

His senior season was a wash due to injuries & being stuck behind several other backs. His junior season ('06) was his most productive, but even then he lost some carries to Thomas Brown & Danny Ware. He can catch some passes out of the backfield for you, and has been at worst an acceptable running option during his college career. Nothing that really jumps out at you but nothing that really makes him a surefire miss either.

I would have to think he's hoping to have something of the same situation that Danny Ware has gotten, making an NFL roster in spite of relatively limited action in college.

My two cents worth.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #943
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
NFL QBs(other than complete scrubinies) 6-1 or less:

Rex Grossman 6-1
Brooks Bollinger - he's probably a scrubiny at this point
Drew Brees 6-1
Mark Brunell 6-1
Seneca Wallace 5-11
Brock Berlin 6-1 - I've heard of him I guess. #3 for the Rams is pretty scrubiny.
Jeff Garcia 6-1
Bruce Gradowski 6-1

he better get to 6-1 to have a whif of a chance. even then it's not a great list outside of Brees and maybe Garcia

Interestingly enough, your examples provide a good argument that Chase Daniel should be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round assuming he puts up similar senior numbers to his junior year. Brees and Grossman are the two players in the list that have college statistics in similar offenses at similar levels to what Chase Daniel put up last year. Grossman was drafted in the 1st round at the 22nd pick and Brees was the 1st pick of the 2nd round when he was drafted. Daniel, Grossman, and Brees were all finalists for both the Heismann Trophy and the Davey O'Brien Award. Now, arguing whether Daniel will be a good pro or not is another thing, but previous precedent judging from those examples shows that Daniel should be drafted in the first two rounds of the NFL draft.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #944
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Interestingly enough, your examples provide a good argument that Chase Daniel should be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round assuming he puts up similar senior numbers to his junior year. Brees and Grossman are the two players in the list that have college statistics in similar offenses at similar levels to what Chase Daniel put up last year. Grossman was drafted in the 1st round at the 22nd pick and Brees was the 1st pick of the 2nd round when he was drafted. Daniel, Grossman, and Brees were all finalists for both the Heismann Trophy and the Davey O'Brien Award. Now, arguing whether Daniel will be a good pro or not is another thing, but previous precedent judging from those examples shows that Daniel should be drafted in the first two rounds of the NFL draft.

I'm not sure Grossman is helping you sell him here into the first or second round.

There are 8 QBs that EXIST in the NFL 6-1 or under.

He better be ultra good next year to even receive consideration on day 1.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 04-28-2008 at 02:23 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #945
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Were they measuring to the top of his skull or the top of his spiked hair?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #946
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
I'm not sure Grossman is helping you sell him here into the first or second round.

There's 8 QBs that EXIST in the NFL 6-1 or under.

He better be ultra good next year to even receive consideration on day 1.

Grossman's overall performance since he was drafted has little to do with what occured on draft day. When he was drafted, he was good enough to warrant a 1st round pick. As I mentioned, the credentials between Daniel, Brees and Grossman are VERY similar.

I agree that he needs to be 'ultra good'. I don't think it's a stretch to say that a junior QB who was a Heismann finalist and will be playing on a top 5 ranked team easily has the opportunity to be 'ultra good'. Time will certainly tell.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #947
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He had heely's on when they measured him.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #948
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Grossman's overall performance since he was drafted has little to do with what occured on draft day. When he was drafted, he was good enough to warrant a 1st round pick. As I mentioned, the credentials between Daniel, Brees and Grossman are VERY similar.

I agree that he needs to be 'ultra good'. I don't think it's a stretch to say that a junior QB who was a Heismann finalist and will be playing on a top 5 ranked team easily has the opportunity to be 'ultra good'. Time will certainly tell.

Maybe the Bears can take him in the first round.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #949
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Were they measuring to the top of his skull or the top of his spiked hair?

If you were truly creative, you would have referenced him picking his nose.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #950
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If you were truly creative, you would have referenced him picking his nose.

No way...I pick my nose all the time.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote