Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #901
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Apparently, Gary Roberts will not play either Saturday night. Therrien is reluctant to break up the lines as long as they are winning.

And Roberts is pissed off because he isn't playing. But honestly, I think they are better without him right now.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #902
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I also saw some old dude in a Maple Leafs t-shirt at Lowe's. I was going to try and explain to him why there were so many people in Wings garb and what the Stanley Cup Finals were and all, but I didn't have the time.

If he needed to be told, it wouldn't matter what you told him.

Besides, it's a Leafs jersey. This is obviously a desperate fan beyond all caring what other fans think.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #903
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, unrelated to the Finals, I finally got my first full Ducks jersey with Selanne on it (my favorite player). I am hoping he comes back, so I will have a chance to wear it while in attendance of a game in which he plays. But even so, he is a Ducks great and there's no shame in wearing that jersey in perpetuity, no matter what he does.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #904
Arctic Blast
n00b

I wasn't thrilled with seeing another Southern market win the cup (though Anaheim actually seems to have quite good fan support), and I can't stand Pronger, but I was really happy to see Teemu get to skate around with that cup. Great, great player.

As for my pick here, gotta be a BIT of a fan and pick my beloved Pens...but I think it goes the full 7.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #905
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
I wasn't thrilled with seeing another Southern market win the cup (though Anaheim actually seems to have quite good fan support), and I can't stand Pronger, but I was really happy to see Teemu get to skate around with that cup. Great, great player.

As for my pick here, gotta be a BIT of a fan and pick my beloved Pens...but I think it goes the full 7.

Heh...I guess to a Canadian, just about every city is Southern (as in warm city, no arguments there), although Anaheim is quite a bit different than the ole South.

Yeah, no one likes Pronger, but everyone likes Teemu. It was nice to see him get his cup.

Why are you a Pens fan in Alberta?

Old 05-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #906
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Can I change my pick?

Nah, as bad as this was, it's one game.

It turned out not to matter, but how is that not interference on Samuelsson on the 2nd goal? No Penguin touches the puck as it rolls down the wall, and a good 4-5 feet from Gill when he gets hit.

It's not so much that it was an awful non-call, but it was when they called every other tacky-tack call, including Holmstrom for interference in the 1st period. Was that the right call? I guess, because Fleury was still in the blue paint. But if you are calling that by the book, call the interference too.

I hate when Therrien overloads the top line with Sid and Malkin, because normally everyone else is invisible after that, so it doesn't work.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #907
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola...Jeff Taffe needs to be out there for Laraque. George can't skate with the wings, and his only value is keeping the puck deep. But can't keep the puck deep if you can't get the damn thing there in the first place.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #908
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I didn't get to pay 100% full attention to the game, and the sound was off, but damn did the Penguins look useless after the first period. Like totally useless. And that disallowed goal due to 'interference' was weak; should have counted.

It will be interesting now to see how the Pens respond. If they don't at least put up a fight in Game 2 this might be over in 4 or 5. I'm still going with Wings in 6 at this point though.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #909
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The game finished like the series will, 4-0...

I would love to see a clean sweep for the Red Wings with 4 shutouts (that would have to be a record).

Sorry, just tired of all the band wagon Penguins fans that pop up around here, most would probably not know a hockey puck if it him them in the face.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:11 AM   #910
Arctic Blast
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Heh...I guess to a Canadian, just about every city is Southern (as in warm city, no arguments there), although Anaheim is quite a bit different than the ole South.

Yeah, no one likes Pronger, but everyone likes Teemu. It was nice to see him get his cup.

Why are you a Pens fan in Alberta?

Heh, well, I really don't know. I started really watching hockey in the late 80's, and really liked Lemieux. Even in my youth, I got tired of the Oilers, so they weren't much of an option. And while I rooted for the Flames as the provincial underdog, they just never caught my fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm
Dola...Jeff Taffe needs to be out there for Laraque. George can't skate with the wings, and his only value is keeping the puck deep. But can't keep the puck deep if you can't get the damn thing there in the first place.

Couldn't agree more. Detroit doesn't have an Enforcer, so why in the Hell is George on the ice?!?!

Last edited by Arctic Blast : 05-25-2008 at 03:11 AM.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #911
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
The game finished like the series will, 4-0...

I would love to see a clean sweep for the Red Wings with 4 shutouts (that would have to be a record).

Sorry, just tired of all the band wagon Penguins fans that pop up around here, most would probably not know a hockey puck if it him them in the face.

bsak, tell him what he's missing in Pittsburgh.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #912
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Smile line changes?

Lines used at Penguins Sunday practice:

Ryan Malone- Sidney Crosby- Marian Hossa
Max Talbot-Evgeni Malkin- Petr Sykora
Pascal Dupuis-Jordan Staal-Tyler Kennedy
Gary Roberts- Adam Hall- Jarkko Ruutu

and
Jeff Taffe, Kris Beech, Georges Laraque.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 05-25-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #913
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

One little observation from the game last night. The Pens were use to teams like Ottawa and Philadelphia, who through injuries and lack of defensive power used their forwards to come back and help. Detroit doesn't need their forwards to help as much since their defense is so good, which allows a faster breakout.

The team should really thanks MAF for playing as well as he did because that score could've been a lot worse. If there is one thing I've seen in these playoffs it is; you'll see the true heartbeat of the series in Game 2. Most of Game 1 they spent feeling each other out. Game 2, both teams will make adjustments.

I agree with what SR said, there is no reason Laraque should be dressing. He really brings nothing to this series. There aren't going to be any fights and he isn't much of a scorer or playmaker.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #914
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I am OK with Talbot getting a chance in the top 6. He is by no means a top 6 forward, but this team has 5 guys who really fit. Unless they move Staal.

Dupuis was fantastic offensively his first month in Pittsburgh, but has slowly regressed. Not just the botched attempt in game 1, but other recent setups he couldn't convert.

My reasoning--

Hope Malone can bang the defensemen and create some turnovers for Sid and Hossa, quick strike chances.

Talbot-- anything to get Malkin going. He isn't terrible offensively.

Roberts-- self explanatory, hoping he provides some sort of spark.

Dupuis-Staal-Kennedy should still be solid. Both Dupuis and Kennedy are fast and will hit.

While a win would be great, at least showing something is more important. Coming back 1-1, they've been really good at home, but hadn't played anyone like DET yet.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:26 PM   #915
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Sitting Laraque makes all kinds of sense. Though, he was pretty effective for the Oilers back in '06 when they faced the Wings. Still, he was pretty invisible yesterday. Other than trying to get McCarty to fight him in the first period, he did nothing of note.

Putting Gary Roberts back into the line-up seems like a no-brainer. He's Gary Roberts. What else is there to say?

Franzen may be in the line-up tomorrow. He practiced at full speed. I still think it's kind of doubtful he'll play tomorrow, but we'll see.

It was good to see Dan Cleary get a goal. He really hasn't been himself since he broke his jaw back in February. It'd be great to have him get back on track. He was having a great year up until that point.

I think that call on Holmstrom was awful. It was even worse than the call on him against Dallas in Game 4. It was good to see the team be able to rebound from that and pull together. I think their experience against Dallas was good in that respect.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #916
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

It's so cute the way everyone is still analyzing this series, even though I gave away the result seven weeks and 17 pages ago.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:57 AM   #917
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Roberts impact will be in the lockerroom. He'll see the ice a little more than Laraque's 4 mins. Anything over 8 mins I'd be shocked, unless somehow the Pens go up big early and roll 4 lines.

His biggest impact would be scaring some fire into Malkin, who has slowly fallen off each series of the playoffs.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #918
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Interesting look at the Pens salary cap situation. Bottom line is that they look to have one more year after this one with the current lineup, and then things may need to be blown up.

james mirtle: Dismantling the Penguins - A hockey journalist's blog
Old 05-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #919
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Fleury at $5M+??? Really? More than Lundqvist, more than Kiprusoff?
He's been very good, but I don't think great in the playoffs. He put up 40 wins last season, then had an awful playoffs (but so did the whole team). He started out terrible this season, he was losing starts to Danny Sabourin. Then came around for about a week, got hurt. Once he returned he was fantastic. But that is about 1/3 of the season, and the playoffs, where he has been anything above average. That gets $5M a year?

Oprik. If someone wants to pay him $4M a year, God bless. He's making just over $1M. Again, this is the first year he's played anything close to a top 4 role. And he and Therrien hate each other. I'd gladly take him back at even double to close to triple his salary - $2 to $2.75M a year. But as a UFA, some team will throw more than that at him.

Someone is really going to pay Pascal Dupuis close to $2M a season? I really like him and he'll get a raise, but he's a 3rd liner. Maybe a #6 in your top 6.

Hossa is gone. I agree with that one.

Hockey News recently covered the same issue, and had an unnamed GM saying they can either keep Hossa, or Staal and Malone.

Malone is a Pittsburgh kid, as is his wife, and just had a kid. Someone throws $5M+ at him he's gone. But if it's close I think he comes back.

Hossa is making $8M+ somewhere. Malone at $3.5 and Staal at that or less-- don't forget the Pens can open negotiations with both Staal and Malkin July 1st, but they each have a year remaining on their rookie deals. Nobody else can make an RFA offer until July 2009. Staal will get a bump, bump $4.5M to a guy who scored 12 goals? I absolutely believe he's a star in the making, and lights out in his own end, but the league still pays scorers. Also, the length of the deal is part of it too. He can sign a 3 year extension for say $10M, and still only be 23, and an RFA, when that expires.

Also not mentioned, Sydor will be bought out ($1.2M savings), Roberts off the books ($2.5M off this years total), Laraque ($1M), Ruutu ($1M) and what they are still paying Recchi (worked out to about $1.5M this year). That equals the bump in Crosby's cap number when his extension kicks in.

Most likely to be moved, if needed. I still think Ryan Whitney. He's got a pretty friendly contract at $4M for another 5 seasons after this. But they someone (Alex Goligoski) in the minors who can fill the role on the 2nd or 3rd pair as a puck moving D. Plus, Kris Letang will be a year older and possibly slide into a top 4 role. AND, it's been hinted that one thing that will keep Malkin happy is keeping Gonchar around. Gonch has two more seasons left with a cap number of $5, I could see them trying to extended him a year or two-- he turned 34 just as the playoffs started.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #920
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Franzen's been cleared to play. Looks like he'll be in the line-up tonight. That most likely means McCarty will be scratched.

If he's 100% and picks up where he left off, that could be a huge boost for the Wings.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #921
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Franzen's been cleared to play. Looks like he'll be in the line-up tonight. That most likely means McCarty will be scratched.

If he's 100% and picks up where he left off, that could be a huge boost for the Wings.

Franzen at 75% is a huge boost over Mac.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #922
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Even if Franzen is 75%, he is still a considerable upgrade from McCarty. McCarty was the only Wing in Game 1 who I remember looking completely out of his element. Just not enough speed there anymore to use any remaining grit. 1997 was 11 years ago.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #923
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Franzen at 75% is a huge boost over Mac.

DeTox beat me to it.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #924
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Lessee, that's now 7-0 over 112 minutes of play so far. I'm assuming this series will be contested at some point by the Penguins, but at least for these two games in Detroit, it hasn't been close at all. I'm sure the NHL is absolutely thrilled with this considering this was certainly a highly-sought matchup.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #925
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

That crash you heard was everyone falling off the bandwagon here in Pittsburgh.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #926
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yawn.

Gary Roberts is such a joke, lol. I loved watching him go after Dats then not know what to do when Dats fought back.

This is over. The Pens have no heart.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #927
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yawn.

Gary Roberts is such a joke, lol. I loved watching him go after Dats then not know what to do when Dats fought back.

This is over. The Pens have no heart.

Corey Perry school of fighting? -- forgot to take his visor off.

I have an honest question that will be interpreted as bitching (OK, probably a little bit of bitching in there too).

All the credit in the world to the Wings, they always have a 3rd guy back, and transition from D to O in a second. But, do the defensemen not playing the puck and the forward back interfere with the forechecker every time?? Edzo alluded to it a few times as well, but hell if it's not getting called, I'd do it every time too.

How many hit did Franzen take to the head tonight...and in great moments in NHL officiating, they can pick out which players deserve roughing calls in a 5-on-5 scrum...but can't see Roberts punch Franzen in the head at center ice?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #928
DeToxRox
Head Coach

We need the "Ping: Evgeni Malkin" thread. He has disappeared totally.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #929
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

That I can agree with.

Also, can we get some security at the Joe? That is the second time in the playoffs I've seen a sniper take out Osgood.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #930
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
That I can agree with.

Also, can we get some security at the Joe? That is the second time in the playoffs I've seen a sniper take out Osgood.

We need a Search Party at the Joe as well, because this is the second time the scoreboard indicates only one team has been on the ice.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #931
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Something I saw posted on the HF boards ..

"The all-time championship series record of home clubs winning the first two games is 30-1" - TSN
Old 05-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #932
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm;1734311All the credit in the world to the Wings, they always have a 3rd guy back, and transition from D to O in a second. But, do the defensemen not playing the puck and the forward back interfere with the forechecker [B
every[/b] time?? Edzo alluded to it a few times as well, but hell if it's not getting called, I'd do it every time too.

I actually agree. I think Detroit is schooling Pittsburgh in every way, but they are definitely playing a clutch-and-grab defense and getting away with it.

Then again, Pittsburgh needs to hit the offensive zone with some speed; it seems like every rush they are cruising slowly to the blue-line, then forced to dump it in and unable to beat the d-men to the puck.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #933
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That I can agree with.

Aren't you a Pittsburgh fan? What do you care what happens to Osgood or if Roberts is pounding on Franzen?

If I were you, I would hope it continues.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #934
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I can say this now or I can say this later: Fuck the Red Wings. So there.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #935
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Half way to history!!! Let's get that scoreless sweep!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:54 AM   #936
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Why the "or"?

Fuck the Red Wings.

And we'll do this again later.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-27-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #937
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Aren't you a Pittsburgh fan? What do you care what happens to Osgood or if Roberts is pounding on Franzen?

If I were you, I would hope it continues.

I was referring more to Osgood's flop to the ice after being hit by noted head hunter and league wide enforcer Petr Sykora.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:45 AM   #938
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I actually agree. I think Detroit is schooling Pittsburgh in every way, but they are definitely playing a clutch-and-grab defense and getting away with it.

Then again, Pittsburgh needs to hit the offensive zone with some speed; it seems like every rush they are cruising slowly to the blue-line, then forced to dump it in and unable to beat the d-men to the puck.

Part two first-- sure they can't beat the D man to the puck, see original post you quoted.

And really, I just wanted someone else to confirm what I was seeing. If that starts getting called in games 3 and 4, we'll know that NHL officiating is taking a lesson from the NBA.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:29 AM   #939
Schmidty
Coordinator

Good to see the Penguins are so classy in defeat:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Oh well, it's not like Therrien hasn't always been such a whiny bitch:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_197408.html

It's too bad it seems to have rubbed off on his players, particularly the little captain.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #940
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I find it a bit humorous that Therrien is whining about diving when he has guys like Rutuu on his team (I won't even mention the other obvious one) who got called for 2 diving penalties in one game.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-27-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #941
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I was looking for a picture with both Osgood and Crosby earlier...to caption- "Watch here son if you want to learn the fine art of diving"
Old 05-27-2008, 07:01 AM   #942
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Honestly, Crosby has been good all playoffs. But I still like to make fun of him.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:09 AM   #943
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Dola...

Here is more proof that the Pens dive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc7kryvcOYo
Old 05-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #944
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Lord of the Dive-

Old 05-27-2008, 07:34 AM   #945
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The sad thing is that this isn't photoshopped.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #946
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Great game last night.

Through the first half of the first period it looked like varsity versus the junior varsity out there.

The Wings really play well as a team. They support one another, they feed off one another, and are really clicking right now. It's a thing of beauty to watch. The Wings have been the more physical team, have worked harder, are moving their feet, and have been executing well.

Filpula's goal was one of the finest I've ever had the pleasure of seeing live.

The Penguins were pretty classless last night. There were at least two deliberate shots to Franzen's head, the one by Roberts and one by Whitney a bit later. There were late hits after the whistle, slashes, all that bush league type crap. I can't blame them. They haven't been able to generate anything hockey-related so they've become frustrated and have resorted to that kind of nonsense and whinging. They're a young team who haven't faced this kind of adversity at this level before, so I'll give 'em a pass.

You're never really in trouble in a series until you lose at home and the Penguins will no doubt be on fire tomorrow. They haven't lost at home since, what, February or something? It'll be a real test for Detroit to go in there and try to steal one or two. Hopefully they can keep up what they've been doing in the first two games and get this series over quick.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #947
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

At least it shows you care, Bucc!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #948
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I watched the game on CBC this morning and apparently Malkin told reporters that he was "tired"? You can't have one of the leaders on your team playing that poorly and then complaining about being "tired". He's 21 years old. This is the Stanley Cup Finals. There's no being tired.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #949
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I only ever heard Therrien's response about the Wings' obstruction, I never heard the original question.

Here's a partial transcript:

Question: You had a conversation with Malkin about him being the leader in this game. How do you explain him having zero shots in this game?

Michel Therrien: It's really tough to generate offense against that team. They're good on obstruction. It's going to be tough to generate any type of offense, if the rules remain the same. So it's the first time we're facing a team that the obstruction is there, and we're having a hard time skating to take away ice.

It all makes perfect sense now. He's just trying to protect his star player. What else is he going to say?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #950
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think Malkin is hurt.