Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 AM   #901
MikeVic
Head Coach

The idiotic Hawks officials should be fired after this season.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #902
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
The idiotic Hawks officials should be fired after this season.

I watched the replay on Sportscentre and it looked like the right call to me at the end of regulation. Was definately close, but still, I think they got it right.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #903
MikeVic
Head Coach

The fact that they started the clock going before the ball touched Ford's hands? If they started the clock correctly, that ball is off in time.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #904
Groundhog
Coordinator

OK, will have to watch it again and check for that.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #905
MikeVic
Head Coach

At least TSN harped on it for a bit this morning. They kept showing it, and it seems like 2/10 of a second are off the clock before he even touches the ball. And then it seems like he's 1/10-2/10 of a second too late to let go...
Old 04-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #906
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
19 points on a 7/15 shooting night, 5 boards and a block--and we won.

Welcome back, EB. Missed ya.

Hopefully they decide to trade him to cleveland this offseason.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #907
stevew
Hall Of Famer

From the Beasley files.....

Quote:
MIAMI -- Miami Heat forward Shawn Marion will miss the final seven games of the season because of a left foot injury.

Marion has been sidelined with back spasms that forced him to sit out 11 of the past 12 games. He will undergo treatment and will not be able to participate in basketball activity for about 30 days.

Marion appeared in 16 games for Miami after being acquired in early February as part of the trade that sent Shaquille O'Neal to the Phoenix Suns.

Marion becomes another in the long line of Heat players out for the season with injuries, a list that includes Dwyane Wade, Alonzo Mourning and Dorell Wright, all of whom have knee problems.

Marion can choose to become a free agent after the season.

The Heat have the NBA's worst record, 13-62, and are just 5-42 since Christmas.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #908
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It's a shame the Suns are stuck with a 14-10-61% Shaq down the stretch instead of a broken down Marion.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:03 PM   #909
Groundhog
Coordinator

If Marion, Wade, and Wright were all in Phoenix right now, something tells me they'd all be playing.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #910
Groundhog
Coordinator

BTW

Larry Hughes, if you could have strung together more than 1 or 2 games a year in a Cleveland uniform like the one you did today, you wouldn't be one of my most despised players.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #911
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't watch the cavs anymore. Too fucking frustrating right now. I'd take the screenname damnMikeBrown, but someone else is already using it.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #912
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
If Marion, Wade, and Wright were all in Phoenix right now, something tells me they'd all be playing.
Marion missed parts of 3 games and one full game with a bad back in Phoenix. There's a good chance this is atleast somewhat legit.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #913
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
BTW

Larry Hughes, if you could have strung together more than 1 or 2 games a year in a Cleveland uniform like the one you did today, you wouldn't be one of my most despised players.

remember, all roads lead to 40 percent. He's bound to throw some gems together in their remaining games to offset the 11/17 marksmanship.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #914
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Marion missed parts of 3 games and one full game with a bad back in Phoenix. There's a good chance this is atleast somewhat legit.

I guess if the funny thing about his back, is that it's on his foot.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 AM   #915
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
BTW

Hughes is a slasher.

Whatever that means.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #916
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I guess if the funny thing about his back, is that it's on his foot.
I was talking about the back spasms that caused him to miss 11/12 games. The foot thing may very well be trumped up, but I think his back was in bad shape when he was in Phoenix.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #917
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's a shame the Suns are stuck with a 14-10-61% Shaq down the stretch instead of a broken down Marion.

The full picture would also half to include Shaq's immense turnover rate and the fact that Marion no longer can rely on the miracle-working Suns medical staff(after all, what could possibly explain that both players are fine in Suns uniforms but can't stay on the floor for the Heat? ).

Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #918
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
The full picture would also half to include Shaq's immense turnover rate and the fact that Marion no longer can rely on the miracle-working Suns medical staff(after all, what could possibly explain that both players are fine in Suns uniforms but can't stay on the floor for the Heat? ).

dont forget 2 more years of lazy Shaq at 20 mil + a year. i thought only Isiah would be dumb enough to take that contract ( it was obviously horrible when he signed it). they better win a chamionship or this trade will be a clusterfuck
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #919
mckerney
Coordinator

Is there any way David Stern would make Portland give back Brandon Roy.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #920
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Is there any way David Stern would make Portland give back Brandon Roy.

Look at the bright side. The continued suckitude of players like Foye, acquired for Roy, ensures you don't have to give my Clips your first round pick.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:39 AM   #921
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I know at this point it's too late for him to change, but for God's sake Kobe, how about bitch less and play more when things don't go your way?

Two plays in a row against the Mavs tonight. First play, he beats Kidd to his right and Kidd catches his arm from behind on the way up. It's enough to stop Kobe from scooping in the shot and the ref misses the contact (it was obvious from most cameras). Kobe throws his arms up in disgust. Meanwhile the Mavs are driving to the other end and get fouled on a transition basket.

After free throws, Vujacic has the ball near up top and telegraphs a pass to Kobe off to the side. Kidd muscles over on an angle and takes the ball (starting another break and another foul). Kobe, instead of running after Kidd (he would have caught him by half court), throws his hands up in frustration at Vujacic. Yes, it was a stupid pass, but for crying out loud, Kobe, your guy is going in for a score! This forces Vujacic to switch over on Kidd, who dishes to Howard (promptly fouled by Vujacic).

And this was in a critically close game, and I am a Kobe fan. I mean, come on, get a control of yourself, Kobe.

Thanks to Odom (who was amazing tonight), Lakers still pull out win.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #922
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
dont forget 2 more years of lazy Shaq at 20 mil + a year. i thought only Isiah would be dumb enough to take that contract ( it was obviously horrible when he signed it). they better win a chamionship or this trade will be a clusterfuck
They weren't winning anything with Marion and Banks here. There was a story in the local papers that went through the finances pretty well:

Marion+Banks = $52 million owed (counting this year)
Shaq= $60 million owed

They article stated if you add in the additional merchandising/ratings for Suns game since Shaq got to Phoenix, the Suns will have paid for the difference Shaq's contract by the middle of next season (with only a 2-round playoff run). By the final year, the Suns will have made money by getting Shaq (compared to Marion+Banks).

Shaq's also averaged 3.0 turnovers in 30 MPG, it's not too far off other big men like Boozer (2.7 in 34) and Yao (3.3 in 37). When you factor the remarkable increase in rebounding Phoenix has had, the Suns look like a much more capable playoff team. Turnovers are still a concern, but Phoenix has won 11 of it's last 14 games including wins over SA, Golden State, Houston and Denver. In the end, this deal may end up being a huge no-brainer from a financial and on-court standpoint for Phoenix.

Last edited by Arles : 04-05-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #923
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hell of a performance from Odom last night. If he can do 67% of that on a nightly basis, Lakers are gold
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #924
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Shaq's also averaged 3.0 turnovers in 30 MPG, it's not too far off other big men like Boozer (2.7 in 34) and Yao (3.3 in 37).

Actually, it's quite a bit off from those players(and anybody else of consequence, for that matter).

Shaq's turnover rate is 18.3%. Ming's is 13.6%, Boozer's 10.9%. Turning it over 35% more than Yao is a significant difference.

Another way to look at is this: there are 322 players who are on pace to average 500 minutes, 59 of them centers. Shaq is 313th(52nd among centers) in turnover rate. Only two of the big men below him average 20 mpg, and none of them have more than 25. I don't see how that's anything other than horrifically bad(the rebounding point is well taken, but far more important has been how well Amare has played at PF).

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-05-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #925
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Actually, it's quite a bit off from those players(and anybody else of consequence, for that matter).

Shaq's turnover rate is 18.3%. Ming's is 13.6%, Boozer's 10.9%. Turning it over 35% more than Yao is a significant difference.

Another way to look at is this: there are 322 players who are on pace to average 500 minutes, 59 of them centers. Shaq is 313th(52nd among centers) in turnover rate. Only two of the big men below him average 20 mpg, and none of them have more than 25. I don't see how that's anything other than horrifically bad(the rebounding point is well taken, but far more important has been how well Amare has played at PF).
Shaq has always been a bit of a turnover machine - but I'm not sure what the big issue is. When he's in, he's the focus of the halfcourt in that the team passes in to him, the defense collapses and the guards/Amare get easy shots. Given that setup, he's going to have a lot of pressure on every touch (atleast 2 guys on him). Here's some other numbers:

Nash (Jan and Feb): 45.4% 3s
Nash (March): 56% 3s

Raja Bell (Jan and Feb): 38.5% 3s
Bell (March): 48.8% 3s

Hill's gone from 48.7% to 51.5% in FGs. Giricek has shot almost 50% from the floor and he shot in the 30s with Philly and Utah. And, of course, Amare has been scoring at 30-10 since Shaq got to Phoenix.

The Suns are seeing a rediculous number of open shots with Shaq. Instead of having their half court offense consist of Nash running around like an energizer bunny for 40 MPG in hopes of freeing up a shooters (and having the offense shutdown when he sits), the Suns now dump it in to Shaq and immediately have the option of 1-2 open wing guys or a single-covered Amare cutting to the hoop. The effort they spend on offense is significantly less, yet their results are better. Amare has also been in less foul trouble and the team is second in the NBA in blocked shots.

Phoenix (in March) changed the following stats when compared to Jan+Feb (before shaq): +4 PPG, -0.2 PPGA, +2.5% FG, +3.5% 3P and went from a -5 RPG net to a +3. All the while guys like Nash and Hill are saying how much less effort they spend creating shots. I know Marion is a good player (although his health is a bit in question), but the Suns have become a more efficient, more balanced and better overall team since Shaq got here. So, aren't all those benefits worth the extra 1-1.5 turnovers a game Shaq has over Marion?

Last edited by Arles : 04-05-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #926
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Great win for the Suns on the road in SA (96-79). Amare and Shaq were in foul trouble all game, but the Suns got great production from their bench (including 11 points, 5 boards, 4 assist, 3 steals and a block from Diaw). Shaq owned the end of the third and 4th quarters. In 24 minutes, he had 16 points (7-9 FG), 9 boards, 1 block and held Duncan to 9-21 from the field. The Suns ended the game on a 35-13 run (from 3 in left in the 3rd on).

The west is now a mess. SA, Houston, Lakers and Suns are all within a half game of each other with 3-4 left. The Suns play @Hou, GS and POR. Houston plays Pho, @Den, @Utah, Clips. Lakers play @Clips, NO, SA and SAC. SA plays SEA, @LAL, @SAC and Utah. It's anyone's guess who lands in the 2-6 spots at this point. Should be a fun week.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:59 AM   #927
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Great win for the Suns on the road in SA (96-79). Amare and Shaq were in foul trouble all game, but the Suns got great production from their bench (including 11 points, 5 boards, 4 assist, 3 steals and a block from Diaw). Shaq owned the end of the third and 4th quarters. In 24 minutes, he had 16 points (7-9 FG), 9 boards, 1 block and held Duncan to 9-21 from the field. The Suns ended the game on a 35-13 run (from 3 in left in the 3rd on).

The west is now a mess. SA, Houston, Lakers and Suns are all within a half game of each other with 3-4 left. The Suns play @Hou, GS and POR. Houston plays Pho, @Den, @Utah, Clips. Lakers play @Clips, NO, SA and SAC. SA plays SEA, @LAL, @SAC and Utah. It's anyone's guess who lands in the 2-6 spots at this point. Should be a fun week.

Even the Hornets aren't sure of the #1 spot yet. If they lose twice in their last four games, they can drop down to #4 or #5. They have @LAL, @SAC, LAC, and @DAL in their last four games.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:14 AM   #928
Vince
Pro Starter

The whole West is absurd. To think that the team that finishes in 9th place would have HOME COURT ADVANTAGE in the East is just mind-boggling.

It's rather frustrating to see the Warriors finally putting up an amazing season, and knowing that they may not even make the playoffs. I can't be disappointed with this season no matter what happens, and I don't think it could have gone much better, really. But I somehow wish that Nellie had played Brandan Wright a little more -- I'd like to see what the kid can really do.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 04-10-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #929
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Lakers have one away game and three home games in their last four.

I'd use "away" as a very loose term. They're playing in Staples Center against the Clippers.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:22 AM   #930
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Warriors are done, effectively down 2 with 3 to go. Too bad as they are possibly the most exciting team to watch in the league.

On the other hand, the one positive thing coming out of Miami's tank-gate is that the only professional athlete (outside lacrosse, but who counts that?) who would recognize me on the street is finally getting a chance and showing why he should have been playing all along. Stephane Lasme's now averaging 4.7/3.5/1 steal/1.5 blocks per game and a phenomenal +6.08 efficiency on the tanking Heat. He also picked up the D-League's co-DPOY.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:31 AM   #931
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Warriors are done, effectively down 2 with 3 to go. Too bad as they are possibly the most exciting team to watch in the league.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! This really sucks. The Warriors are going to win close to 50 games and not make the playoffs. It hurts, it hurts reallll bad. They just seemed to run out of gas. Nellie is a great coach, but he's one stubborn son of a bitch, and he's not going to play guys that he doesn't trust. He didn't trust any of the bench guys (Matt Barnes, last years playoff darling, even fell out of favor), and so the big guns just died on the vine. It is a bitter world we live in, and candy coating only lasts for a brief moment...or some shit.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:41 AM   #932
Vince
Pro Starter

I was devastated to hear the news of how the game went. An ill-fated promise to my girlfriend from a while back meant that I was hanging out with her tonight, and I turned off the game right at the end of the first quarter feeling pretty damned good about a 15-point lead. To find out we ended up sucking the rest of the game was pretty brutal. Especially after having to watch "The River of No Return."
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:01 AM   #933
Groundhog
Coordinator

Warriors on the verge of being the most successful team ever to not make the playoffs.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:37 AM   #934
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Warriors aren't done yet. They just have to win out (only one tough game left) and hope Denver loses to Houston and Utah. It's not an ideal situation, but I wouldn't say they're out of it yet.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:00 AM   #935
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Warriors aren't done yet. They just have to win out (only one tough game left) and hope Denver loses to Houston and Utah. It's not an ideal situation, but I wouldn't say they're out of it yet.
I'd love to be proven wrong, but they just haven't been showing the same skill to close out games they were the middle 50 games of the season. Maybe it's just shots unluckily rimming out (baron had a 3 late from the corner, and I think Monta had a couple too that could have gone down when they were making that late run) but they do look a little tired compared to earlier in the season.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #936
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Lakers beat New Orleans, and they tighten that gap between NO and the rest of the pack. If Lakers beat the Spurs and Sacramento, and NO loses one more game, LA heads into the Playoffs as the #1 seed.

I also wonder how this game affects the MVP race. The final week of the NBA Season will most likely be the deciding factor between Paul and Kobe. KG is also looming constantly as an MVP favorite.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #937
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think it nailed Kobe as the MVP with the win yesterday
Old 04-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #938
BishopMVP
Coordinator

KG's a solid 3rd/4th choice for MVP behind the Paul/Kobe/LeBron trio, but he lost any chance at the award when he missed time and the Celts kept winning. KG clearly was the catalyst with his attitude, but I could see an argument that Paul Pierce has been as, if not more valuable for the Celtics during the season on the court.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #939
JeeberD
General Manager

The Rockets trouncing of the Suns was rather unexpected after the way they ran us off the court last time we met...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #940
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
The Rockets trouncing of the Suns was rather unexpected after the way they ran us off the court last time we met...
Yeah, that was the perverbial "We just beat the Spurs and think we are hot sh*t" game after from the Suns. Pretty much locks Phoenix in the 6th spot, so maybe they can rest some guys down the stretch.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:57 AM   #941
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

THANK YOU SAC-TO! Hornets lost to Sacto tonight.

Lakers now have control of their destiny in the WC PLayoff race. If they win their last games against SAS and SAC, they go in as the #1 seed.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:46 AM   #942
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
THANK YOU SAC-TO! Hornets lost to Sacto tonight.

Lakers now have control of their destiny in the WC PLayoff race. If they win their last games against SAS and SAC, they go in as the #1 seed.

Wow, not the game I expected the Hornets to lose.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:10 AM   #943
JeeberD
General Manager

The Kings are playing spoiler lately. If the Rockets hadn't lost to them on April Fools Day, they would be in first...

Old 04-13-2008, 06:04 AM   #944
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

I'm not certain about that...the Rockets are a half game back (one less win) and have a 2-1 record against the Lakers. If (that's a BIG if) both the Rockets and Lakers win out, don't the Rockets get the higher seed?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #945
MrBug708
Head Coach

I hate to potentially jinx the game, but it looks like the Lakers will beat the Spurs in this game.

Things looking good for LAL
Old 04-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #946
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wow, not the game I expected the Hornets to lose.

The Hornets are proving a lot of analysts' doubts about them to be well-founded. They've got a tremendous young foundation and will be around for a long time, but they might as well have "a year away" on their jerseys.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #947
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I'm not certain about that...the Rockets are a half game back (one less win) and have a 2-1 record against the Lakers. If (that's a BIG if) both the Rockets and Lakers win out, don't the Rockets get the higher seed?
You're correct that if Houston wins out they are the top seed, although they are getting trounced in Denver right now.

Last edited by heybrad : 04-13-2008 at 09:45 PM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #948
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Isn't it illegal to only score 44 in a half against Denver?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 AM   #949
JeeberD
General Manager

Son of a bitch...

Old 04-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #950
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Ok, now it's really in their hands.

If they win against renowned spoiler team Sacramento, they are #1. They can still drop to #3 if they lose, depending on how things play out with Houston, San Antonio, and NO.