Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2008, 09:00 AM   #901
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Last week, there was some talk during a game I watched about the entire Atlantic Division possibly making the playoffs. I thought it would be pretty neat if that happened, but the Islanders are apparently in the tank, and the Rangers are (barely) behind three teams who all have at least 3 games in hand on them. I know it's a little early to start looking at things that way, but the thoughts just crossed my mind. Wouldn't it be cool to see (most of) the old Patrick Division populating the Eastern playoffs?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #902
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Wow you are optimistic that the Wings will make it out of the first round

That's a significant step for me. Don't mock.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #903
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Horcoff done for the season...joining Souray and Torres. Nice.

Not that the Oilers are in any position to make any noise in the West but it surely will make watching the remaining games much less enjoyable because Lowe and company surely won't bother calling up guys like Schremp or Pouliot to see what they can do.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #904
Travis
Pro Rookie

Welcome back to the NHL Cujo. Wonder how much he was actually hoping he'd have to skate the last half of the ice to drop the gloves with Garon.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #905
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Welcome back to the NHL Cujo. Wonder how much he was actually hoping he'd have to skate the last half of the ice to drop the gloves with Garon.

That would've been something right out of the old Battle of Alberta days. Good times...good times.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 02-04-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #906
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Colorado's what?

Outside of the playoffs. Don't kill the messenger. Parros was famous for his 'stache with the Kings, and he had to shave it off when he went to Colorado. After he came to Anaheim, he immediately started growing it again. They made a big deal about it locally when the Ducks acquired him.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #907
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I don't think he shaved it for the Avs.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #908
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

dola

nor do I think he started growing it "after he came to Anaheim"

"According to a Denver Post article on November 7, 2006, Parros got grief for shaving the moustache and has since grown it back."

"On November 13, 2006, Parros was traded to the Anaheim Ducks for a 2nd round draft pick and an option to swap 3rd round picks."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Parros
Old 02-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #909
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think we need to call in Arlen Spector to get to the bottom of Moustachegate.

The country deserves to know the truth. We need to know the truth.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #910
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It will be interesting to see how teams approach the trade deadline this year. Most likely, the GMs or owners will cave and you'll see the same types of deals (prospects, first rounds picks, etc. for a top line UFA), but I think there may be a bit more caution following some rather dubious results from last season. None of those deadline blockbusters worked out. Tkachuk went back the Blues, Forsberg headed back to Sweden, Bertuzzi bolted to Anaheim, Ryan Smyth took off for Colorado... Each team gave up a lot in the way of picks and prospects for very little in return.

As for the Wings, I am not sure what they'll do. For the reasons stated above, I don't think they will make a serious run at a Sundin, Hossa, or anyone like that. They were burned last year with the Calder and Bertuzzi deals. Any potential UFA they get, will almost certainly be a strict, one-year rental. The Wings are coming up against the cap. Zetterberg's sweetheart $2.9 million a year deal expires next year, so they will, in all likelihood, sign him to a lengthy extension over the summer. He'll probably cost a little more than Datsyuk's $6.7 million after the recent slew of mega-deals. I think $7 million a year over the next 6-7 years is about what the Wings would like to see. After that deal is done, the Wings will have very little cap space.

They are already considering the possibility of NOT being able to retain Super Dan Cleary. They desperately want to keep him. He's been great, but he'll probably be able to make a good $1.5-$2 million more on the open market than what the Wings can afford. While the Wings have been able to get hometown discounts from some of their players, it will be hard for Cleary. He loves it here and he totally turned his career around thanks to the Wings, but this is going to be his best shot at making some serious money. It will be tough for him to pass up that opportunity. Guys like Lidstrom, Draper, Maltby, Chelios, etc. have already made their serious coin.

I'd look for the Wings to grab a depth defensemen (not quite Rob Blake, but a step above Cory Cross). They don't want to be in a position where guys like Lilja and Quincey are forced into serious minutes due to injuries, like last year when Kronwall and Schneider went down. They may also look for a depth forward (Fedorov?).
Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #911
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Avs GM Francois Giguere does not seem to be a guy who likes to part with prospects, so I don't expect the Avs to be buyers at the deadline. Last year they added just Scott Parker and Michael Wall, and I don't think we'll be in the hunt for any of the big names this year either.

John-Michael Liles is a UFA this summer and it doesn't sound like the Avs are going to bring him back. There's a lot of talk that he'll be dealt at the deadline (hey, it's not like losing him will make our PP any worse). The mini-resurgence from Theodore gives me some thoughts that he might finally be attractive enough to be dealt. Unfortunately, he is Quenneville's favorite now and so won't be going anywhere.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #912
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

The Oilers should most definitely be sellers. We've got a couple of RFAs we need to either deal or be prepared to pay (Stoll, Pitkannen, and Gilbert) as well as a couple of fat contracts (Roloson and Staios) that could make things a little easier next year as we're running low on cap space...thanks to retarded contracts like the ones mentioned and guys like Pisani and Moreau.

So, if I were GM of the Oilers, what would I be doing over the next little while? Well, call me crazy, but I'd be looking for suitors for a goalie. But, I wouldn't be shopping Roloson, I'd be shopping Garon. Roloson isn't going to get you much and would simply be a salary dump not netting anything of value. So, next year we'd have an extra $3 mil to sign a free agent. Great. We saw how tough it was to attract free agents last year, why risk that again? True, new ownership could resolve some of that but I wouldn't want to bank on it. Instead, why not learn from our mistakes with a career backup who is likely playing over his head...exactly like Roloson did a couple of years ago...and deal him now while his value is at it's peak? He's cheap and he's under contract for another year...surely there would a handful of teams looking for a very solid backup or even a potential starting goalie who's only making $1 mil per. Makes perfect sense to me. Keep Roloson and use him as a constant reminder to stop rewarding players based on half a season's worth of success. We've got a kid in the AHL who's playing great for the 2nd season in a row...maybe it's his time to get a shot? And, maybe Roloson turns things around and plays great the rest of the season and we try to deal him this summer...who knows?

I think Pitkannen has to go as well...his value is pretty high right now and if not for a few injuries throughout the season, I think you would have heard his name mentioned much more often as he's been electric when he's been in the lineup. I would be asking top dollar for this kid and if I didn't get it...no big deal, RFA offer sheets will surely be flying in on this guy and if we like the price...great, sign him...if not, buh-bye. Even if the sheets don't come in, take him to arbitration and deal him afterwards.

Gilbert isn't going anywhere...he's the one RFA we sign for sure and do our best to do it ASAP. He's been the biggest surprise this season and needs to be an Oiler for the forseeable future.

Stoll, well, unless we get a jaw-dropping offer, I don't see moving him just yet. His value is pretty low after a slow start this season and missing half of last season due to a concussion. He's making some decent coin right now but shouldn't figure for much of a raise because the numbers and performance just aren't there. Again, I'd hold out for a good return and if it doesn't come, I'd gauge the offer sheet frenzy this summer and go from there. If he doesn't get snatched up, sign him to a 1 year deal and hope that he's healthy next season and ship him out this time next year in hopes that he'd be worth more.

Staios is making some pretty big bucks but I'm not sure we dump this guy for nothing just yet. Staios is the only vet we've got back on the blueline right now with Souray on the shelf and he's a solid character guy who'll do whatever it takes...we're definitely lacking in that department. As young as we are on the backend, I think I eat the salary and keep him...but, with that said, if somebody knocks my socks off I would do a deal in a heartbeat.

I'd be on the phone to Tampa to see what Richards, Vinny, or Boyle are going to cost because I've got some chips to deal that I think the Lightning just might like. Garon, for one, could start for them or at least push Denis and he's definitely on the cheap. Pitkannen would definitely be a good fit especially if they can't lock up Boyle. I would bring up Schremp's name. And, if I were talking about Vinny I'd mention Cogliano's name. If it's Richards, I'd probably say something about Stoll.

If that didn't pan out, I'd give the Panthers a call and have a very similar conversation about Jokinen.

What do I think the Lowe is going to do? I'd say he'll probably dump Roloson for a mid-round pick or a fringe prospect. I think that's the deal everybody knows is coming. I also think he's going to deal Pitkannen with another player or two...maybe another RFA like Robert Nilsson or maybe even Stoll for several prospects and picks. Unfortunately, I don't think we are going to get any "current" talent back nor do I think he'll make an attempt at a super star who's under contract.

The next couple of weeks should be interesting.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 02-06-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #913
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Garon was a terrific signing. I would have loved for the Avs to have picked him up this summer. Whether they move him or Roloson, it was a great pickup to give them that flexibility.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #914
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Honolulu_Blue should enjoy this:
http://www.leafsaretrash.com/compara...t-and-toronto/
Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #915
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I think we need to call in Arlen Spector to get to the bottom of Moustachegate.

The country deserves to know the truth. We need to know the truth.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...stache-of-doom
Old 02-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #916
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

Thanks, ML. I did enjoy it.

The kicker to that sound analysis is that the Wings have built their team using groomed drafts over the course of many years in which they either had no first round pick or picked near the very bottom of the first round. In the last 15 years, (other than the wonky 2005 draft lottery thing) the highest the Wings have drafted was 22nd overall ('92 (Curtis Bowen) and '93 (Anders Eriksson)).

Of the players in that list, only Kronwall (29th overall) was a first round pick.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:44 PM   #917
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Garon was a terrific signing. I would have loved for the Avs to have picked him up this summer. Whether they move him or Roloson, it was a great pickup to give them that flexibility.

I really liked it from the get go as well...especially considering the cost. I just hope the Oilers don't bank on him becoming a number one guy...like they did with Roloson. He is what he is...a cheap backup playing over his head and a bargaining chip.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #918
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'll have to disagree with Johnny. I'd much prefer to see Garon here as the #1 next year even if we can only get a bag of pucks for Roloson. I definitely want to see Deslauriers get a crack next year (playing 20-30 games), but relying on him to backstop the Oilers to the playoffs is quite a tall task, and one which I can't imagine Roli would be up to if he's the goalie retained. The fact they're only a game under .500 to this point of the season with all the injuries they've had certainly points to potential success next year if they can battle this hard and not lose so much time to injury. I'd much rather see what they can accomplish with Garon backstopping that effort than a rookie or Roli (never mind finishing off this season stronger as well seeing as how our first won't benefit us anyways).

Not only that, but dishing Roloson could open up enough room to sign Pitkanen long term (a move I want to see) which would allow them to move Staios while he still has value (and clear his 2+ million contract). Now is also the perfect time to resign Stoll, if possible to a 3+ year deal as he's at a low value point and will hopefully be all the way back from his injury next season. It's a low risk/high reward contract situation that could pay off a lot more than anything they're likely to get for him in a trade right now. Add in that we now have an owner who can afford to eat a contract like that if things don't turn out well gives them some room to try and get Stoll for a bargain if he does return to last year's form.

Past that, I fully agree with you in that no matter the situation, look to add a top two line player at the deadline who is signed at least through next season. Adding picks/prospects at this point just adds to a logjam (especially at the forward positions) when what this team is really missing right now is a top tier finisher. Use some of the resources currently available as far as picks and prospects to nab a player of that ilk, then look at recouping some of those assets by moving guys like Roli and Staios. Odds are we can't bank on dipping into the UFA market for a player like that (would be a nice bonus if that were the case), so overpay a bit if necessary as the overall youth of the current team should mean roster turnover the next few seasons should be relatively minimal.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #919
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
when what this team is really missing right now is a top tier finisher.

You mean that's not what the $50m you spent on a career third-liner got you?

Kevin Lowe - bringing new meaning to the word "desperation"
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:44 AM   #920
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
You mean that's not what the $50m you spent on a career third-liner got you?

I'm not sure who you are talking about...we don't have any guys making that kind of money.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:45 AM   #921
Pyser
Pro Rookie

my goodness, the buffalo play by play guy does nothing but scream ALL GAME.

i dont know how you listen to that all year.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #922
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
I'm not sure who you are talking about...we don't have any guys making that kind of money.

Well, bhlloy overshot the amount abit. But I am pretty sure his point is that if indeed there do happen to be any Oiler RFAs worth a damn available on July 1, there will be a ton of GMs itching to make ridiculous offers and let Lowe know how they feel about his opening Pandora's box last year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:02 AM   #923
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, bhlloy overshot the amount abit. But I am pretty sure his point is that if indeed there do happen to be any Oiler RFAs worth a damn available on July 1, there will be a ton of GMs itching to make ridiculous offers and let Lowe know how they feel about his opening Pandora's box last year.

Yeah, overshot just a wee bit...by over 100%.

Pandora's box? Do we really have to get into this again? Lowe is hardly the first guy to do this and in fact over the years the Oilers have been the most frequent victim:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...d_offer_sheets

I don't know why you are still whining about this...you'll have, at worst, a top 10 pick because of it.

I hope GMs do make ridiculous offers on all of our RFAs...we could use some picks in 2009 and it would clear up some cap space. Offer away!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:27 AM   #924
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
my goodness, the buffalo play by play guy does nothing but scream ALL GAME.

i dont know how you listen to that all year.

THANK YOU!! I have been saying that for years...he is so annoying to listen to.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #925
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I can't believe it. I just can't believe it. As a longtime Devils fan, I can't believe that I came to work wearing a Penguins cap. I also have a Penguins shirt with me, which I will change into before I leave. I've been to a handful of Penguins games, but this is the first time that I'm dressing as a Pens fan.

The Devils fan in me wants the Islanders to beat Pittsburgh tonight, as the Islanders are at the bottom of the division and unlikely to make the playoffs. The western Pennsylvania resident and good husband in me wants the Penguins to win. I'll be behind one of the nets tonight as the Penguins host the Islanders. I'll cheer for the Penguins when I'm there. I just hope that none of the fans remember me as the guy dressed in Devils red last year. I think I was the only guy in the building who didn't cheer when Malkin scored his first NHL goal that night.

Wish me luck.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:47 AM   #926
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Good luck and somewhere Lou Lamoriello is crying.

I'll admit I rooted for the Pens last year when I went to games because the Flyers just stunk. But this year I go and root for the outcome that will best help my team.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #927
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just to clarify, I'm still a fan of the Penner move and really like what he's shown over the second half of the season so far, but if we could add an established first line scorer and be able to play Penner on the second line at least through next season it'd give the team two lines that can contribute on a regular basis, improve the PP and a bit of team depth in that role.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #928
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Just to clarify, I'm still a fan of the Penner move and really like what he's shown over the second half of the season so far, but if we could add an established first line scorer and be able to play Penner on the second line at least through next season it'd give the team two lines that can contribute on a regular basis, improve the PP and a bit of team depth in that role.

What I'd love to see is something like Pitkanen, Schremp, Stoll, Cogliano and maybe a pick go to Florida for Bouwmeester and Jokinen. Penner and Jokinen on the first line with Hemsky and getting Horcoff back on the second line, where he belongs, with Gagne and Nilsson.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #929
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

someone just pointed me to this awesome site that calculates a team's odds of making the playoffs (changed daily).
Old 02-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #930
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
someone just pointed me to this awesome site that calculates a team's odds of making the playoffs (changed daily).
This is awesome. Thanks. According to that site, the Penguins-Islanders game makes pretty much no difference to the Devils' playoff chances. I can cheer for the Penguins in peace.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #931
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I'd look for the Wings to grab a depth defensemen (not quite Rob Blake, but a step above Cory Cross). They don't want to be in a position where guys like Lilja and Quincey are forced into serious minutes due to injuries, like last year when Kronwall and Schneider went down. They may also look for a depth forward (Fedorov?).

Only reason to pick up Fedorov is for depth on the Injured List. Best thing they ever did was let him leave. Bringing him back would be a mistake. Even as a depth forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #932
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

The Wings continue to win at an alarming pace. As a Wings fan it is exciting but scary at the same time. Usually with this team, the more they win in the regular season, the less they win in the postseason. If they do not win the Cup this year, serious consideration should be taken into firing Babcock. He has yet to show he can coach when the games really matter.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #933
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
The Wings continue to win at an alarming pace. As a Wings fan it is exciting but scary at the same time. Usually with this team, the more they win in the regular season, the less they win in the postseason. If they do not win the Cup this year, serious consideration should be taken into firing Babcock. He has yet to show he can coach when the games really matter.

Don't worry, if you dominate in the regular season, you always win the championship. In any sport. I can't think of the last time this hasn't happened.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #934
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Don't worry, if you dominate in the regular season, you always win the championship. In any sport. I can't think of the last time this hasn't happened.

+1

Quote:
Old 02-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #935
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

I don't think he shaved it for the Avs.

My wife would never let me grow my hair like this. Of course, that implies that I COULD grow it like this. Which I can't. The mustache, however......

Quote:
Old 02-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #936
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Only reason to pick up Fedorov is for depth on the Injured List. Best thing they ever did was let him leave. Bringing him back would be a mistake. Even as a depth forward.

Right, because, the Wings never had any success when Fedorov was on the the team (3 Stanley Cups) and he never performed well in the playoffs (163 points in 162 playoff games).

Fedorov wouldn't be brought in to be a top line forward. I think he'd be a great fit. He's sound defensively, he still has some wheels, and can play well in the Wings' puck possession style.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #937
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
If they do not win the Cup this year, serious consideration should be taken into firing Babcock. He has yet to show he can coach when the games really matter.

Stop it.

Babcock took Anaheim to the Cup finals. A lot of people seem to forget that the Wings actually were pretty successful last year in the playoffs and won a lot of games that "really mattered." They were one bad clearing attempt and an Andreas Lilja brain-fart away of being up 3-2 on the Cup winners. They were really close.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 02-07-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #938
MikeVic
Head Coach

I thought Fedorov played defense now?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #939
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Babcock took note of this.

A local news station here interviewed him and Babcock said he was going to use clips of the Super Bowl to remind the Red Wings that their season is all about winning their last game.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #940
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I thought Fedorov played defense now?

He moves back and forth. He did this in Detroit too at times.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #941
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
My wife would never let me grow my hair like this. Of course, that implies that I COULD grow it like this. Which I can't. The mustache, however......

I was rockin' a fu for a little while this winter, but finally bowed to my wife's pressure.

well, that and the fact that it was kind of a pain to maintain.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #942
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Babcock took note of this.

A local news station here interviewed him and Babcock said he was going to use clips of the Super Bowl to remind the Red Wings that their season is all about winning their last game.

Did he get these "clips" from the Hoodie?

Quote:
Old 02-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #943
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Stop it.

Babcock took Anaheim to the Cup finals. A lot of people seem to forget that the Wings actually were pretty successful last year in the playoffs and won a lot of games that "really mattered." They were one bad clearing attempt and an Andreas Lilja brain-fart away of being up 3-2 on the Cup winners. They were really close.

Babcock has not proven anything to me yet. When you have the best run team in the NHL (and arguably the best run sports franchise in any sport), you should be winning in the regular season and the playoffs. Bowman did a great job with this team during his coaching tenure with the Wings. I understand you cannot win every season, but I (as you probably do as well) remember the dark days of the Wings. I do not want to revisit those days without at least a few more Cups under our belt. This Wings team has been too good for too long to only have 3 Cups in nearly 13 stellar seasons. Perhaps my expectations are too high, but that is what happens when your team wins consistently. So, Babcock needs to win at least 1 Cup with the Wings or his coaching tenure is a failure. At least IMHO.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #944
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
So, Babcock needs to win at least 1 Cup with the Wings or his coaching tenure is a failure. At least IMHO.

That's quite a different statement than:

"If they do not win the Cup this year, serious consideration should be taken into firing Babcock. He has yet to show he can coach when the games really matter."

Yes, Bowman had a great run with the Wings. Amazing. He's the greatest NHL coach of all time. That said, he was coach for 9 years and won 3 cups. The Wings didn't win their first Cup until Bowman's 4th year behind the bench.

By your rationale, the Wings should have seriously considered firing Bowman after the '95-'96 season, which, by the way, is the season that has most closely paralleled this season in terms regular season success... That '95-'96 Wings team had one of the best regular seasons in NHL history in terms of points and wins and what not. They got bounced in the Conference Finals by the Avs.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #945
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
When I go to that site, I get "The page cannot be displayed".

How does it know I'm a Leaf fan?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #946
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

All of your IPs are tracked...but you didn't hear it from me.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #947
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
That's quite a different statement than:

"If they do not win the Cup this year, serious consideration should be taken into firing Babcock. He has yet to show he can coach when the games really matter."

Yes, Bowman had a great run with the Wings. Amazing. He's the greatest NHL coach of all time. That said, he was coach for 9 years and won 3 cups. The Wings didn't win their first Cup until Bowman's 4th year behind the bench.

By your rationale, the Wings should have seriously considered firing Bowman after the '95-'96 season, which, by the way, is the season that has most closely paralleled this season in terms regular season success... That '95-'96 Wings team had one of the best regular seasons in NHL history in terms of points and wins and what not. They got bounced in the Conference Finals by the Avs.

Not at all. The difference is that Bowman had already proven himself, where as Babcock has not. That is the basis of my argument. When Bowman took over the Wings, they were not yet the power they are today. He completely changed their mentality from perennial wannabe's to winners. Babcock is just continuing that tradition. He needs to take them into the next phase: winning a Cup. Going to the finals with Anaheim once does not constitute a great coach or a great career. I am hoping that we do not see a repeat of that 95-96 playoffs.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #948
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
When I go to that site, I get "The page cannot be displayed".

It's your Kerry Fraser hair cut.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #949
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Not at all. The difference is that Bowman had already proven himself, where as Babcock has not. That is the basis of my argument. When Bowman took over the Wings, they were not yet the power they are today. He completely changed their mentality from perennial wannabe's to winners. Babcock is just continuing that tradition. He needs to take them into the next phase: winning a Cup. Going to the finals with Anaheim once does not constitute a great coach or a great career. I am hoping that we do not see a repeat of that 95-96 playoffs.

In 1996-96 the Wings were the epitome of "perennial wannabes." Even after the second Cup in 1998, the Wings continued to under perform in the playoffs, exiting in the second round in 99 and 00 and the first in 01. It wasn't until the Wings managed to add that collection of all-stars (Robitaille, Hull, and Hasek) to their already talent-laden team in 2001-2002, that the Wings became "winners" again.

In 2003 and 2004, the Dave Lewis coached Wings, again, lost in the first and second rounds, respectively.

Then the strike comes and the salary cap is put in place. The Wings lose in the first round in 2006, which, let's be honest, is more consistent with the last 10 years than winning the Cup would have been.

The Wings then lose stalwarts like Yzerman and Shanahan, but still manage to make it to the Conference Finals, the furthest they made it in the playoffs in 8 years (other than that super '02 team).

I think Babcock has done a great job with this team. No, he's not Scotty Bowman. He will likely never be Scotty Bowman. But that's not a fair comparison for any coach. He's Scotty Freakin' Bowman.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #950
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
In 1996-96 the Wings were the epitome of "perennial wannabes." Even after the second Cup in 1998, the Wings continued to under perform in the playoffs, exiting in the second round in 99 and 00 and the first in 01. It wasn't until the Wings managed to add that collection of all-stars (Robitaille, Hull, and Hasek) to their already talent-laden team in 2001-2002, that the Wings became "winners" again.

In 2003 and 2004, the Dave Lewis coached Wings, again, lost in the first and second rounds, respectively.

Then the strike comes and the salary cap is put in place. The Wings lose in the first round in 2006, which, let's be honest, is more consistent with the last 10 years than winning the Cup would have been.

The Wings then lose stalwarts like Yzerman and Shanahan, but still manage to make it to the Conference Finals, the furthest they made it in the playoffs in 8 years (other than that super '02 team).

I think Babcock has done a great job with this team. No, he's not Scotty Bowman. He will likely never be Scotty Bowman. But that's not a fair comparison for any coach. He's Scotty Freakin' Bowman.

+1

All very good points.

Quote: