Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #901
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I find it a little mindblowing that Tottenham is sitting 6th in the table with a 0 goal differential.

Ugly game against Reading today, but a win is a win.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #902
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Ugly game against Reading today, but a win is a win.
Didn't see the match (haven't sorted out a decent cable provider for Premiership matches here yet) - but from the reports its sounds like it went as I expected, a tough, hard fought match ....

Strangely enough I think a few losses for Reading will be good for them - they're in danger of making the European competitions next season at the moment and that could wreck the team imho ...

Their squad isn't big enough to cope with the extra matches, yet bringing in players to do so could easily upset the morale and balance of the squad (which is currently fantastic).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #903
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
...(haven't sorted out a decent cable provider for Premiership matches here yet)...

For maximum soccer coverage, get DirecTV if at all possible.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #904
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Didn't see the match (haven't sorted out a decent cable provider for Premiership matches here yet) - but from the reports its sounds like it went as I expected, a tough, hard fought match ....

Spurs had way more chances, had a couple bad offsides calls against them, had 2 disallowed goals (1 correct, 1 maybe not so much), so i think they deserved the win. However Reading had some GREAT scoring chances they couldn't capitilize on.

The first half was a very good balanced game, I thought Spurs pulled away a bit in the second, but there were a few scary moments down the stretch.

And Marc I think you might be right about Reading and Steve Coppell has flat-out said he thinks European ball could potentialy be very bad for them. The way they're playing recently (scrappy, but not necessarily good), i think will have them finish probably just barely outside European position anyway.

I like them a lot as a neutral though, and I hope they'll come through with a solid sophomore season.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #905
bhlloy
Coordinator

Real tough call on Halford, at first look I thought it was a joke, but had he not handled it Keane would have had a scoring chance so probably not such a bad call... very unlucky that it was just inside the box.

After spending 4 years in Colchester I really hope this kid does well... very good potential and with England's full back situation I think he can definitely go on to win a good number of caps.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #906
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Real tough call on Halford, at first look I thought it was a joke, but had he not handled it Keane would have had a scoring chance so probably not such a bad call... very unlucky that it was just inside the box.

I completely agree, even from the Spurs perspective. I felt bad for the guy, but he really got a lot of hand on it, even if inadvertantly... and as you stated Keane was definitely in position for a decent attempt. I was somewhat mystified when the whistle blew at first, but the replay showed it damn clearly.

I think looking at the overall scope of the game helps soften the blow too, Tottenham were definitely the better team on the day, creating a ton of chances relative to Reading. Still though, Reading played really well and found the (gaping) holes in the Spurs defense a couple times and nearly capitalized.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #907
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

and BTW, starting tomorrow, this has to be the best month of soccer all year. There are great games on practically every single day this month.

I mean, just this week:

MON: English Premier League
TUE: Champions League
WED: Champions League
THU: UEFA Cup (bigger for those of us who have a team still in the hunt, like me)
FRI: English Premier League
SAT: English Premier League

And on top of that there are the 2 Champions Cup games (down to MLS vs Mexico at this point) that I'd really like to see this week.

Thank god for DVRs.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #908
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

And that Chelsea-Watford game was just cruel. Even though I knew it was coming while watching, I couldn't help but be pissed when they scored the injury time winner. They are like the Terminator in their relentlessness.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #909
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
And that Chelsea-Watford game was just cruel. Even though I knew it was coming while watching, I couldn't help but be pissed when they scored the injury time winner. They are like the Terminator in their relentlessness.

I agree, with Chelsea you just know they are going to find a way......It is what you expect of Champions, but you have to feel for Watford.....And hate Chelsea
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #910
Katon
College Benchwarmer

It was also cruel the other way - even knowing there was a decent chance we'd be able to grab a late winner, it was still painful to watch us completely failing to pick apart the league's bottom team. We really need to fix what's happened to our offence this season if we're going to win the title next year (or this year, if United give us the chance).
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:26 AM   #911
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Sigh. Ass whooping. From comments from various Arse fans, it was deserved, too. Fuck.

'grats to 'Pool fans, though. Meh.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #912
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

For a while, I was really uncertain about the Halford call, because as much contact with the hand as there was, it still seemed inadvertent and not arising out of an attempt to take up space with his arm. The issue about the effect on the scoring chance is really irrelevant to the correctness (or incorrectness) of the call.

But Bobby McMahon observed (and I decided I agreed) that there was a bit of a motion to control the ball after the initial contact, and I think that's what the referee saw and (correctly) called.

I didn't watch the whole game, but I've seen complaints about a non-call on ball-hand contact in the Spurs' penalty area that was never shown in any of the highlight packages, did anyone see it?

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #913
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Very pumped for the Sevillia-Spurs UEFA Cup game today. Tottenham really need a good showing in the first leg here, as i think this is probably the first stage at which they aren't the favorite.

Also, it sucks that they have to go from playing Thursday night (in Spain) to playing again on Saturday around noon (at Chelsea, no less). I'd be fine with a loss to Chelsea if they come away with a good result today.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #914
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Just finished watching the CL games.

Spoiler
Old 04-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #915
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I don't know which is the worse result for a team's fans.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #916
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Admittedly, I haven't been watching football for very long, but that performance in an important match has only been equaled in my limited viewing experience by Holland against Yugoslavia at Euro 2000.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #917
Easy Mac

At the 47 minute, 10 second mark of Chelsea-Valencia, a paper airplane flys in front of the camera. No real reason to say this, but I just got a huge laugh out of it. It looked well formed as well, someone really spent their time.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #918
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Two fascinating games in totally different ways.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #919
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Dunno how many people saw this on monday, but it looked bad at the time and the picture is worth 1,000 words:

Everton striker severs artery

EVERTON striker James Vaughan severed an artery in his left leg during a 1-1 English Premier League draw with Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok Stadium today (AEST).

Vaughan, 18, was rushed to hospital after sustaining the injury in a challenge with Abdoulaye Meite midway through the second half.

The teen had scored Everton's 33rd-minute equaliser after Kevin Davies put Bolton in front.

Everton boss David Moyes said: "When I saw Andy Johnson shout over I thought it was really bad and it is bad. The blood was really severe and was spurting out.

"The doctors have sewn him up and he's gone off to hospital, but he is a tough boy so he will probably want to play next week."

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izhCci_GbHA

Old 04-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #920
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good Lord, give a man a warning before showing that pic, would ya? And a video link to boot. Damn.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #921
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

ewwww
Old 04-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #922
Critch
lolzcat

I saw that on Monday, looked terrible at the time with the reaction of Vaughan and the other players around him. Seems like he's came out of it fairly well though, out of hospital and no breaks so should be back soon.

Could have been worse, Christoph Preuss of Eintracht Frankfurt collided with his keeper, keeper's stud got caught in his leg and ripped from just above his knee to the top of his thigh, so deep his bone was visible. And as if that wasn't bad enough, Preuss scored an own goal in the collision too.

pic: hxxp://www.bbv-net.de/layout/fotos/175x141/22947-191824_DEU_FUSSBALL_BL_FRANKFURT_TWA128.jpg

Last edited by Critch : 04-11-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #923
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

For those who didn't see Messi's goal against Getafe last Wednesday :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkIxSlS9XVg
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #924
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

And here's McFadden's winner over Charlton last Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txWRKShn790

Goals of the season 1 and 2 right here.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #925
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

McFadden's was well-taken, but calling it a goal of the season is really a bit much.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:31 PM   #926
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

The speed of thought to improvise and create the space for the shot, and then not scuffing it or ballooning it over the bar is just so difficult.

Messi's was better
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #927
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Agreed - nice flick, but it's not in the same class as Messi's goal. If you're looking for another (better, says the Chelsea fan) effort along the same lines, watch the end of this clip:

hxxp://youtube.com/watch?v=_09C9aNnupA
Old 04-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #928
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
McFadden's was well-taken, but calling it a goal of the season is really a bit much.

Yeah, i dont think it's a stretch to say there have been 20 better goals just in the Premiership this year.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #929
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Nice goal by Jenas. Shit defense by Arsenal. Again. While I am irritated by Lehman's antics, I don't think he can be blamed for that goal with craptastic defense like that.

Like many Arse fans, my main offseason wishlist include Akinfeev or perhaps Gordon (from comments and reputation, I've seen neither extensively) but mainly either of those. My other wants would be to bring Adams and Keown back to coach the defense into SOMETHING that would actually attempt to prevent goals.

While he's talented, I'm not really aboard the Ribery bandwagon nor am I convinced of a need for him. On the other hand, if we can manage to snag Herr Klose for a reasonable fee, I'm on that like . . . like . . . Tony Gwynn on a Denny's Grand Slam breakfast.

And, to blaspheme for a moment, if Real Madrid are unsatisfied with Van Nistelrooij and we don't want Reyes . . . . . . .
Old 04-22-2007, 12:40 AM   #930
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

As a Tottenham fan, I'm totally happy with an undeserved point from that game. Jenas has been shit for a month, and finally did something.

Just got caught up on all the other results... Man U is killing me. I cannot deal with Chelsea winning the league.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #931
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I couldn't get SopCast to work with me so I didn't manage to catch any of the game. But, from the completely biased commentary on BS, it sounded like the Spuds did have a good first half even if we did apparently dominate half two. (Although we supposedly lost a goal on a bad offside call, that's just part of the game. Deal.) And, from the highlight, that goal was well deserved on a nice one-two.

And that seems to be the sentiment shared by many Arse BS'ers. Much as ManU is hated, the possibility of Chelsea winning the league seems to be thought of as akin the result having to live through manually placing a portable hole into a bag of holding while crossing the Ghostbusters beam.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #932
Critch
lolzcat

Spurs had a fair first half yesterday, probably lucky to be ahead at halftime though. The Arsenal disallowed goal was close, but probably the correct decision too. Second half was all one way, partly Spurs trying to hold the lead but mainly Arsenal just overrunning them I think. Arsenal equalizer did come from a very very soft freekick though (ie Rosicky made the wrong run then threw himself to the ground). A lucky point for Spurs in the end, can't remember Spurs coming close to making a real chance other than Dyers desperation shot at the end.

A good game though, better than the Man Utd game and definitely better than the Chelsea game. What a snoozer that was.

Last edited by Critch : 04-22-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #933
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Thank you Newcastle
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #934
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Thank you Newcastle

talk about letting Man U off the hook!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #935
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Argh. Why is it that, on seeing Nolberto Solano at right-back and Stephen Carr at left-back, our immediate reaction is to lump long balls down the middle?

I still haven't completely given up hope, though. Boro were not the hardest game left on Man U's schedule by any stretch of the imagination, and their nonexistant depth is only getting more stretched by the CL semifinals and the weekly defensive injuries. I think the odds are against their taking full points from Goodison Park and the Manchester derby, to say nothing of what Tevez might be able to do if West Ham still have something to play for. United are too good to rule the possibility out completely, but if Chelsea can bounce back and win our last four games then I still think we'll be champions
Old 04-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #936
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm pretty pumped for Champions League today and tomorrow. Pulling for Man U & Liverpool, personally.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:49 AM   #937
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm pretty pumped for Champions League today and tomorrow. Pulling for Man U & Liverpool, personally.

Milan and Liverpool here. On principle, no Liverpool fan can ever support Man U (hell, I'd support the Chelski over them).
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #938
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

how does the spoiler-thing work?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #939
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

What will it take for Castel di Sangro to make a run at a CL Title in our lifetime?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:20 PM   #940
kingfc22
Head Coach

Very exciting game so far between Milan and ManU
Old 04-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #941
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Very exciting game so far between Milan and ManU

was just about to post the same thing. what an ending. GK definitely took the wrong angle
Old 04-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #942
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Wicked goal by Rooney at the end there, could end up making all the difference in the 2nd leg... now any draw will do. At 2-2 I thought Milan would take it, now I see a low-scoring draw in the 2nd leg and Man U going through.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #943
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Is Tommy Smyth watching the same game the rest of us are? I don't want to give anything away, but it seems as though he's deluded as to what's going on on the pitch.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #944
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

stupid dida. And stuipd defense for even letting rooney get a shot off. That's just pretty much inexcusable
Old 04-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #945
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

From the top to nearly the bottom..

some of you know I follow tiny Cambridge United in English soccer, they play in the fifth level (the Conference National). One of the fun things about promotion and relegation, it provides interesting matchups at both ends of the standings.

If there was no promotion/relegation, the season would have been realistically been over 15 games ago, now, little Cambridge United is nervously looking at the trap door... to survive in the Conference (and not drop down to the regional conference level), they need one of the following..

They play Tamworth, who is one of the few clubs below them in the standings, and need a win to guarantee safety for next year

Cambridge win ASSURES SAFETY regardless of other results.....

This of course, would send Tamworth down.

[b]Cambridge draw assures safety assuming 1 of the following happens :

Stafford Rovers fail to beat Forrest Green Rovers
or
Altrincham beat Aldershot by no more than 4 goals
or
Halifax lose at home to Stevenage
or
Crawley lose at home to Kidderminster
or
Grays lose at Morecambe

Cambridge defeat can still assure safety assuming.....

Stafford are beaten by Forest Green
or
Altrincham fail to beat Aldershot
or
Halifax lose by at least 2 more than Cambridge do against Stevenage
or
Grays or Cawley are hammered beyond belief roughly about 9 or 10 nil to swing there goal difference.

It's going to be fun, because all the games on the final week kickoff at the same time, in fact, they've been known to delay restarting 2nd halves of the games of the final week, until all games are ready, just because there's so much riding on it, and they don't want anyone influencing the result.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:07 AM   #946
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Who do you like today, Liverpool at Chelsea?

Interesting (to say the least) that Chelsea and Manchester United could meet in the next few weeks possibly on three occasions to decide the FA Cup, the English Premiership Title and the Champions League Title.

I'm sure this drives teams such as Arsenal and Liverpool mighty mad.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-25-2007 at 07:08 AM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:27 AM   #947
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
Who do you like today, Liverpool at Chelsea?

Personally the best result for me would involve an earthquake and/or meteor strike.

Hopefully I'm tempting fate here, but this tie has boredom written all over it. Liverpool will try and frustrate Chelsea, recently Chelsea have looked far more frustratable than they did last year. They've got no width, and Drogba's goals have covered up a lot of ineffectual performances from Chelsea this season. My prediction is 1-0 to Chelsea over 2 legs, with more sending offs than goals as a side bet.

And as Ajaxab pointed out above, we'll also have the idiot dronings of Tommy Smyth to look forward to.

Last edited by Critch : 04-25-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #948
MIJB#19
Coordinator

SirFozzie, forget about exciting relegation battles at the 5th highest level, nothing beats three teams tied in points at the top of the league with only one round of games left. AZ, Ajax or PSV, place your bets now. Although, it would have been more fun had all of the respective opponents in that last weekend still been battling against relegation, like they were going into the next to last round.

Quote:
Wicked goal by Rooney at the end there, could end up making all the difference in the 2nd leg... now any draw will do. At 2-2 I thought Milan would take it, now I see a low-scoring draw in the 2nd leg and Man U going through.
It's AC Milan, you can count on an 91st minute goal for them IF the score is tied after 90 mins, given that the game is in Italy, it'll be 0-0, 1-1 at most, and Milan advancing to the final. Of course, ManU has built a bit of a last-minute reputation themselves (hello FC Bayern Munchen!).
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #949
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I want Liverpool here, but especially with the first leg i think Critch is right when he says it has boredom all over it. Chelsea play almost nothing but games that are painful to watch, and at home i think they'll probably have their way. I'm seeing 1-0 to Chelsea or maybe 1-1.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #950
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
And as Ajaxab pointed out above, we'll also have the idiot dronings of Tommy Smyth to look forward to.

Actually, I think we'll be disappointed as I thought I heard Derek Rae say that Seamus Mallon (sp.?) and the other guy whose name I can't remember are doing today's match. So there will be no bulges in the old onion bag today.