Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #901
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Jack Johnson has amazing potential. He was the 3rd overall pick and has been a beast along the blueline for UofM. He can skate, hit, pass, shoot, and by physical. Sounds ideal. I certainly wouldn't want to part with such a prospect, especially since Staal is so young, as is Ward.

That said, I am sure Carolina is still in "win now" mode. They lost Ward to free agency, Kaberle is hurt. Tverdosky is just sitting there, useles, eating up valuable cap space. Capwise this trade basically gives you two regular, full-time players for the price of one guy sitting in the press-box. For a "win now" team, that's not a bad scenario.

Johnson's refusal to play last year and sign this year would irk me as well. You would have to question his dedication to the team and his own career. Still, I don't think that would be enough to convince me to trade him unless there is more to it than that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #902
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

true, HB, but can you believe that Gleason and Belanger was the best they could do? I wonder how significant dumping Oleg's contract was in the deal
Old 09-29-2006, 01:22 PM   #903
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
true, HB, but can you believe that Gleason and Belanger was the best they could do? I wonder how significant dumping Oleg's contract was in the deal

I would imagine they could have done better than those two, yes. I also think that dumping Oleg's contract was very significant to that deal. I am sure that while shopping Johnson's rights around Oleg's contract was probably always "the kicker". $2.5 million a year is a tough pill for many teams to swallow.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #904
Pyser
Pro Rookie

center ice question for you all:

did they raise the price this year? it looks like with $20 off, it's still $149. thats a freakin lot.

anyone know any codes or coupons or anything by chance?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:24 PM   #905
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

So far as I can gather from one Carolina message board: Rutherford was on the radio not too long after the deal was announced and said that the organization has been interested in picking up Gleason for a while now and that scouts said he was a "must-have" for the team (whatever that means).

(Here comes the spin) Rutherford also said that Johnson was three years away from contributing and that he was being held back by playing in the college game. Again, this is message board stuff being relayed about what was apparently said on the radio. Do I buy that if true? No, not really. Johnson was playing well for Michigan and Michigan's going into this year as preseason #1. Unless he's that other-worldly, being one of the best players on the best team in college hockey shouldn't retard his development.

Some other speculation seems to center around Johnson's father being the source of the trouble (no good source on this, again just message board talk), probably contributing to the feeling that he was never coming.

Rutherford had the Midas touch last year when it came to personnel decisions, so I'm inclined to think something must have happened that precipitated this deal. If it's as one-sided as people on here claim, then Johnson must have become utter deadweight and they were never going to get him to come in. It's also wildly out-of-the-blue considering the season starts next Wednesday. It's very discombobulating to say the least because Lavs is now going to have to find a way to fit Gleason and Belanger into things.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #906
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Johnson loves Michigan. He wants to stay there and play. He's having the time of his life and knows the NHL will always be there. This is nothing knew. He told everyone before the draft he was going to college and wanted to play there four years. Why Carolina is shocked by this makes no sense to me.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #907
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola - Rutherford is pissed at JJ for not signing during the playoff run last year. He kept calling Johnson and they said no thanks and apparently that rubbed Rutherford the wrong way. Why, I have no idea. The kid is honoring his commitments. I find respect in that.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:15 PM   #908
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

did they raise the price this year? it looks like with $20 off, it's still $149. thats a freakin lot.

I haven't heard about any codes out there, but I'd be interested, too. I'm going to just watch the free preview for the first week of the season and then do the installment plan with Comcast (pay over 3 or 4 months).

I can't believe the season's now less than a week away. I'm so excited!
Old 10-01-2006, 07:12 PM   #909
Pyser
Pro Rookie

well, it cost the devils a first, but malakhov is gone to san jose for Korolyuk and Fahey.

3.6 saved...hopefully thats enough (assuming mogilnys contract is written off as long term injury exemption).
Old 10-02-2006, 07:38 AM   #910
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
well, it cost the devils a first, but malakhov is gone to san jose for Korolyuk and Fahey.

3.6 saved...hopefully thats enough (assuming mogilnys contract is written off as long term injury exemption).

Have Gionta, etc (not sure who else is still pending, Paul Martin?) signed yet?
That should work out though, as Korky will probably stay in Russia (again) and Fahey might be like a #8 and spend time in the A.

I read the 1st was conditional-- any idea based on what? Malakhov NOT ever playing? Or Korky coming over from Russia?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:03 AM   #911
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Malakhov NOT ever playing? Or Korky coming over from Russia?

conditional on Malkhov finding a nice ski resort in northern california...
Old 10-02-2006, 08:42 AM   #912
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Have Gionta, etc (not sure who else is still pending, Paul Martin?) signed yet?
Gionta and Martin are not signed yet. Obviously, Gionta is a priority, but they have to do something about Mogilny's contract first. Martin has been practicing with the team even though he doesn't have a contract. He took a puck to the face over the weekend, but it's apparently just a cut, and he should be able to play this week if he signs a contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
conditional on Malkhov finding a nice ski resort in northern california...
Old 10-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #913
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

I don't recall what the price was before (was it $149 minus the $20 existing subscription discount?), but I've already been billed for the first month at $37.25, which is $149. And the website says that's "$20 off the regular price," so I assume they jacked it up $20. So we got as good a discount as when we get $.50 off a product this week that was being sold at $.50 less last week. Thanks, DTV!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #914
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

REJOICE!!! This is a trade that makes my pants happy!

Quote:
Canadiens trade Mike Ribeiro to Stars for defenceman Janne Niinimaa
20:54:23 EDT Sep 30, 2006
Canadian Press: BILL BEACON
MONTREAL (CP) - The Montreal Canadiens boosted their blue-line corps, but they had to give up a promising hometown forward to do it.

The Canadiens traded centre Mike Ribeiro to the Dallas Stars for Janne Niinimaa on Saturday. Montreal will also receive a fifth-round draft pick in 2007 while the Stars get a sixth-round pick in 2008.

Ribeiro, a career Canadien, said he was shocked by the move.

"I'm disappointed and sad at the same time," the Montreal native said. "I didn't expect this now.

"There were rumours last year that I'd be traded, but I didn't think about it this year. I just concentrated on getting ready for the season. I guess Montreal wanted defence and Dallas wanted a centre. It's a great city for me. No winter. No snow. So I'll be happy."

Tomas Plekanec was in Ribeiro's spot on a line with Alex Kovalev and Sergei Samsonov in a pre-season game Saturday night against Ottawa.

Montreal is short of defencemen with injuries to Francis Bouillon and Jean-Philippe Cote. They learned Friday that Bouillon's knee injury would keep him out longer than expected and he may not return until the end of November.

General manager Bob Gainey said a minor shoulder injury suffered this week by defenceman Sheldon Souray made it clear that the team lacked experienced depth at that position.

The Canadiens claimed veteran Patrick Traverse on waivers from San Jose on Thursday, then made the move for Niinimaa, a 10-year NHL veteran who has played for Philadelphia, Edmonton, the New York Islanders and Dallas.

"When another injury happened, we found we just didn't have the depth among our prospects on defence as we have at centre," Gainey said.

He said he was not concerned that Niinimaa was often a healthy scratch by the Stars after they acquired him last January from the Islanders.

"I know he had an ankle injury, but he had it fixed this summer," said Gainey.

Niinimaa will earn US$2.508 million on the final year of his contract this season. Ribeiro is on a one-year deal worth $1.9 million.

The six-foot-one, 220-pound Niinimaa, 31, has 54 goals and 262 assists in 700 career games. His best season was 2000-01 with Edmonton, when he scored 12 goals and had34 assists in 82 games. He had a total of three goals and 13 assists in 63 games last season.

The Stars are deep on defence after acquiring Darryl Sydor and Jaroslav Modry in the off-season, while Montreal has several centres both with the NHL club and in the minors.

Ribeiro, a slick play-making centre who had a strong training camp, has played 276 career games for Montreal, collecting 50 goals and 103 assists.

"Dallas has great players, a great team, and they'll be playing for the Stanley Cup," he said. "I always dreamed of winning a Stanley Cup here (in Montreal), the 25th, but I guess it won't happen."
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #915
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I hate mike Riberio, but Niinimaa has become useless. An incredible defensive liability of the highest order.

A friend of mine works for the Stars. Apparently Lindros remains a whiny bitch.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #916
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I hate mike Riberio, but Niinimaa has become useless. An incredible defensive liability of the highest order.

A friend of mine works for the Stars. Apparently Lindros remains a whiny bitch.

*gasp*
Lindros still a bitch? can't believe it.

and yeah, Stars made out like a bandit here.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #917
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Detroit News is reporting that Brad Norton has made the team as the 13th forward. Hussey and Kolanos are being sent to Grand Rapids assuming they clear waivers.

I'm happy with this. After it was clear who the options were for the last spot up front, it was Norton I wanted. Sure he will likely not suit up many nights and even when in uniform he'll likely not see too many minutes, but it's nice to know that the Wings have at least someone, if need be, who can drop the gloves and take care of business. The Wings desparately lack size and toughness and, while Norton isn't really going to change that dramatically, at this point any little bit will help. I'd much rather have him than a Hussey, Kolanos, Langfeld, or Devereaux each of which seemed sort of like interchangeable 4th line parts. At least Norton has a role, limited as it is.

I've been impressed with Hulder. He's wee, so very, very wee, but he's pretty slick out there and has a decent enough shot. He's like Datsyuk Lite or something. I'm much happier with guys like Hulder and Kopecky getting ice time than the likes of Jamie Rivers or Mark Mowers.

Puck drops in two days...
Old 10-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #918
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
The Detroit News is reporting that Brad Norton has made the team as the 13th forward. Hussey and Kolanos are being sent to Grand Rapids assuming they clear waivers.

I'm happy with this. After it was clear who the options were for the last spot up front, it was Norton I wanted. Sure he will likely not suit up many nights and even when in uniform he'll likely not see too many minutes, but it's nice to know that the Wings have at least someone, if need be, who can drop the gloves and take care of business. The Wings desparately lack size and toughness and, while Norton isn't really going to change that dramatically, at this point any little bit will help. I'd much rather have him than a Hussey, Kolanos, Langfeld, or Devereaux each of which seemed sort of like interchangeable 4th line parts. At least Norton has a role, limited as it is.

I've been impressed with Hulder. He's wee, so very, very wee, but he's pretty slick out there and has a decent enough shot. He's like Datsyuk Lite or something. I'm much happier with guys like Hulder and Kopecky getting ice time than the likes of Jamie Rivers or Mark Mowers.

Puck drops in two days...

I still wouldn't get too used to Hudler. He's on the shortest possible leash. Babcock still hates the way he plays defense. If he falters at all, he'll be out of here, talented or not.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #919
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola: Can the Wings please get rid of Robert Lang? I know we lack offense but I'd take Flipulla over him because Z can move back to C where he is 100x better. It'd make our team all around better.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:00 PM   #920
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle View Post
Dola: Can the Wings please get rid of Robert Lang? I know we lack offense but I'd take Flipulla over him because Z can move back to C where he is 100x better. It'd make our team all around better.

I have no love for Lang either, but Babcock seems to love the guy. He praises him every chance he gets.

John Navarre was to Lloyd Carr as Robert Lang is to Mike Babcock.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #921
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I have no love for Lang either, but Babcock seems to love the guy. He praises him every chance he gets.

Yeah, it's crazy. Especially when he is all over Hudler, yet Hudler is a smaller, wing version of Lang.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #922
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

OK...my new baby REALLY needs to start sleeping.
I started reading that as a "Bucci-ism", reference to some band...
And read it as Dave Navarro rather than John Navarre...and started to wonder what the hell Navarro had to do with Carr or Michigan football at all!

I need sleep!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #923
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola-

Jordan Staal has made the Pens out of camp.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06275/726823-100.stm

The way the article reads, he'll center one of the bottom lines. Most likely the 3rd, Dom Moore on the 4th line.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #924
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Dola-

Jordan Staal has made the Pens out of camp.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06275/726823-100.stm

The way the article reads, he'll center one of the bottom lines. Most likely the 3rd, Dom Moore on the 4th line.

The kid just isn't ready for the NHL...

I saw him play in Buffalo the other night and he looked pretty lost out there during 5-on-5 play. I hope this doesn't slow his development...the kid has a lot of potential.

Either way, I don't expect him to last longer than nine games, which is the maximum allowed before he can be sent back to junior hockey. He would best be served by going back to the OHL and tearing up the league there rather than getting 8-10 minutes of icetime on the third line in the NHL.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:13 AM   #925
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
The kid just isn't ready for the NHL...

I saw him play in Buffalo the other night and he looked pretty lost out there during 5-on-5 play. I hope this doesn't slow his development...the kid has a lot of potential.

Either way, I don't expect him to last longer than nine games, which is the maximum allowed before he can be sent back to junior hockey. He would best be served by going back to the OHL and tearing up the league there rather than getting 8-10 minutes of icetime on the third line in the NHL.

I have to believe that is the case...The Pens play 9 games in October. By November 1st, Malkin should be back, possibly sooner. Malone shifts back to wing, Malkin to center the 2nd line, Dom Moore on the third, and Max Talbot recalled to play on the 4th line.

Also, Kris Letang signed his entry level deal. He was their 2nd round pick behind Crosby in 2005. He is a smaller D (5'11", 190) built for the "new NHL"--he can skate, skate, skate. He seems to actually have a better shot of sticking all year than Staal.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:46 AM   #926
Pyser
Pro Rookie

and mogilnys contract is essentially off our books.

bye bye cap crunch!
Old 10-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #927
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
and mogilnys contract is essentially off our books.

bye bye cap crunch!

and hello firestorm about cap loopholes