Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #901
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Most of the sites say that the Wii only makes 12 dollars/console at launch, but that is certainly better than the early loss of other companies.

It at least means that they're not starting out in the hole. If they would have done a launch where they tried to compete directly with the PS3 and the 360 and not sold well it could mean the end of the only company in the competition that is only in the business of making games. Instead, they've set themselves up to maintain a viable business.

Smart move imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #902
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wii - Man do I hate that name.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #903
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Wii *has* to be making a killing on the remote and the nunchuk deal, I know there were some complaints over the price of the 360/PS3 controllers but the nunchuk and remote together cost 60 bucks.

They should be making a healthy profit already, even with only 12 dollars on each console.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #904
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
They should be making a healthy profit already, even with only 12 dollars on each console.

Well doing the simple math with the units sold in november, they raked in $5.7 million dollars on the Wii alone. Conversely, if Sony is indeed losing $240 per unit then they lost $4.7 million. I know they want to make blu-ray the standard but that seems like a huge hole to climb out of. I mean, that is a difference of $9 million between the two companies just in november for the consoles. I have no idea what the profit margins for the DS, GBA, PS2 and PSP are but I'd imagine that would just widen the gap. If anyone has that sort of info (everything I find on google seems to be old) I'd be really interested.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #905
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Yeah, that was my basic point. While this doesn't make them a "powerhouse" in the high-end gaming market, this move ensures that between the Wii and the DS that I think they'll be a very viable, profitable company for years to come. I think it was a smart business move personally as Nintendo has a "kiddie" reputation that they haven't been able to shake that was going to make it very difficult to compete in the "high-end" market anyways.

They now have the "kiddie" market and the "fun alternative" market.. I imagine the Wii will be a secondary system in many households, but that still means it's being bought at decent numbers as these numbers show.

Well, if you look at that, it's where Nintendo has been and wants to be for this generation.

First off, Nintendo had their first unprofitable quarter *ever* last year as there just wasn't much selling during, hm, I forget- but it was either 2Q or 3Q of last year- basically the Gamecube was on the downswing and the DS was fairly new so there were no huge titles out for either system and the GBA was being phased out. They're a conservative company economically- that's just who they are.

It's been said from many quarters at Nintendo that they don't mind being everyone's second console. After all, if everyone has you "second", you've sold more than the others. Insert something from Reggie about blue ocean marketing and this would be a complete paragraph that comes straight from Nintendo about their ideas for this generation.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #906
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline View Post
Well doing the simple math with the units sold in november, they raked in $5.7 million dollars on the Wii alone. Conversely, if Sony is indeed losing $240 per unit then they lost $4.7 million. I know they want to make blu-ray the standard but that seems like a huge hole to climb out of. I mean, that is a difference of $9 million between the two companies just in november for the consoles.

There's also a lot higher adopter rate among the Wii versus the PS3. The early tie-in ratios for software for the Wii were something crazy, around a 3, while the PS3 was actually below a 1. That will calm down as the sample group changes but for now, that says Nintendo is making even more as the software is where money is to be made much more than on the console itself.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:07 AM   #907
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI.....another shipment of PS3's reported at the retailers today. The Target and Best Buy in my neighborhood both had 5-7 people lined up around 5:30 this morning.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #908
KWhit
Coordinator

THE NEW PHONEBOOK'S HERE!

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:10 AM   #909
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post

Yeah, I know. It's cool to make fun of PS3. I just thought I'd help out the people who were interested in picking one up given that the supply is pretty scarce.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #910
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yeah, I know. It's cool to make fun of PS3. I just thought I'd help out the people who were interested in picking one up given that the supply is pretty scarce.

He hates these cans!

(I just like to quote The Jerk whenever possible.)
Old 12-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #911
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The ashtray and the paddle game and the ps3, that's all I need... and these matches...the ashtray and these matches and the ps3 and the paddle-ball... and this lamp
Old 12-12-2006, 10:29 AM   #912
Kodos
Resident Alien

the ashtray and these matches and the ps3 and the paddle-ball... and this lamp and resistence the fall of man. That's all I need. And this thermos.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #913
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's nice to see that the profit margins for ebayers are nearly non-existent at this point.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #914
KWhit
Coordinator

Someone at work is taking back a 20 gig PS3 to the store because she couldn't sell it for enough.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:04 PM   #915
Kodos
Resident Alien

Serves her right. I hope there is a restocking fee.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:24 AM   #916
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Someone at work is taking back a 20 gig PS3 to the store because she couldn't sell it for enough.

Gotta love that. Surprised that they'll take it back. It's usually a 14 day return policy, though some allow it after 30 days with a restocking fee of 15%.