Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #901
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Reading reviews I get the impression that Borderlands is meant to be played on multiplayer or local co-op. Is the single player game secondary in terms of length and development? I don't play online much but would be interested in picking this one up if the single player is also strong.

I haven't played co-op yet, so I can't offer any direct comparison, but I didn't see anything last night that would leave me to believe that as a single-player game it is somehow "less." The reading that I've done indicates that the gameplay is around 20-25 hours if you just play straight through the storyline missions, but I've heard it jumps up around 100+ hours if you do all of the side-missions and other content as well. Also, there is a level cap of 50 but what I've read indicates that a normal play-through means a player will end the game around level 30-35. The game does not "end" in the conventional sense and you can either keep playing the same game or use the same character in another play-through.

Not sure if this answers your question.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #902
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Reading reviews I get the impression that Borderlands is meant to be played on multiplayer or local co-op. Is the single player game secondary in terms of length and development? I don't play online much but would be interested in picking this one up if the single player is also strong.
I think it can be fun as a single player but it's really built for multiplayer. For single player, consider it a stripped down version of Fallout 3 with better graphics.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #903
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I haven't touched Borderlands yet myself, but my son was playing tonight in the room while my wife & I finished up some work needed for an early morning conference call.

Just from glancing over occasionally & hearing bits & pieces of the sound, it looked like someone turned Heavy Metal into a video game, that you're perpetually fighting FO3 raiders (that are skilled more like Super Muties per my son) and wildlife, and that the sound & some of the ambiance invokes a lot of Bioshock.

How's that for a totally off the wall "review" of sorts?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #904
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, a couple of hours later and I'd say the description of Borderlands as sort of a light Fallout 3 is a pretty good one. Not nearly as intense IMO for whatever reason but still fairly -esque.

The graphics are interesting (my wife even commented how pretty they were) but I wonder how well they'll hold up to the eye after the novelty of them wears off some.

This also strikes me as a lot more shooter than RPG, and the degree of respawning is a little much for my non-shooter-guy taste even through just 7 levels. But still not bad, not bad at all.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #905
DataKing
Pro Rookie

It really is more of a shooter than anything else. Whereas Fallout 3 is a RPG with shooter elements, Borderlands is a shooter with RPG elements.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 10-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #906
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Speaking of Fallout 3, I bought it on Steam a few months back when it was 50% off or something.

I just finally started playing it over the weekend. I really enjoy it. I thought the whole character generation aspect of it was really well done. I am still very, very early in the game and a bit aimless. I am having all sorts of ammo shortage problems and I am pretty much sick of giant fire-breathing ants. I was pretty close to finishing that quest, I think, but abandoned my efforts due to ammo shortage. I will re-visit it at some point.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #907
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Speaking of Fallout 3, I bought it on Steam a few months back when it was 50% off or something.

I just finally started playing it over the weekend. I really enjoy it. I thought the whole character generation aspect of it was really well done. I am still very, very early in the game and a bit aimless. I am having all sorts of ammo shortage problems and I am pretty much sick of giant fire-breathing ants. I was pretty close to finishing that quest, I think, but abandoned my efforts due to ammo shortage. I will re-visit it at some point.

That quest is a difficult one, and the game typically gives it to you well before you're really equipped to handle it. Best to let the ants be for a while and come back later.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 10-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #908
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Pre-ordering "bonuses" have gotten absolutely ridiculous.

Army Of Two II Restricts Multiplayer Mode Unless You Pre-Order - Voodoo Extreme

Gamers who pre-order Army of Two: The 40th Day now will have exclusive access to the game's all-new explosive multi-player mode, Extraction, at launch. This mode will be unlocked for all other players one month after the game ships.

That's right, fans, unless you pre-order, one of the game's core features will be denied you. And do you know how many players will remember the fact that this mode will unlock in just 30 days or so, and try it out after the exclusivity ends? That's a mighty low number right there..

Now, I don't mind pre-order bonuses such as bonus maps or weapons, but core-gameplay ideas like a whole MP Mode being restricted to pre-orders?

No.

Hell No.

FUCK NO.

Get that weak shit out of here..

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-22-2009 at 05:37 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #909
RainMaker
General Manager

That's pretty fucked up. I was on the fence on getting that game as I did have some fun with the first one. Not a chance in hell I'm preordering it now. Too many good games on the market.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #910
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am still very, very early in the game and a bit aimless. I am having all sorts of ammo shortage problems and I am pretty much sick of giant fire-breathing ants. I was pretty close to finishing that quest, I think, but abandoned my efforts due to ammo shortage. I will re-visit it at some point.

Echoing DK here, that quest was harder for me than pretty much any other.
I was waaay past it's normal level before I completed it, got my butt thoroughly kicked & roasted on all previous attempts.

As for the ammo shortage issue, I'm not sure what the normal way to get past that hump is, since it usually comes down to a cash flow issue, but for me the trick was scav everything that wasn't nailed down & convert it to caps. Enough caps generally solves the ammo problem once you've located multiple vendors.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #911
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Gamers who pre-order Army of Two: The 40th Day now will have exclusive access to the game's all-new explosive multi-player mode, Extraction, at launch. This mode will be unlocked for all other players one month after the game ships.

Ugh, that is not cool. I had no interest in the game before but now I hope it tanks.

I hope this isn't the start of an awful trend.

Last edited by Big Fo : 10-22-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #912
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Echoing DK here, that quest was harder for me than pretty much any other.
I was waaay past it's normal level before I completed it, got my butt thoroughly kicked & roasted on all previous attempts.

As for the ammo shortage issue, I'm not sure what the normal way to get past that hump is, since it usually comes down to a cash flow issue, but for me the trick was scav everything that wasn't nailed down & convert it to caps. Enough caps generally solves the ammo problem once you've located multiple vendors.

Yep, I think you just have to push your way through it. I think Fallout 3 is a game that actually is much more difficult at the beginning than towards the middle/end. You really are a scavenger and picking your fights at the beginning, but eventually you'll get over that hump and you'll be drowning in ammo and stimpaks the rest of the game.

That ant mission is brutal also.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #913
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm now 75% of the way through Uncharted 2...I was thinking I liked the first one better but a little shy of halfway through this game just became amazing. Some of the levels are so unique and cool they just make the game a pure joy to play.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #914
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

In their defense, Army of Two has 4 multiplayer modes so, this is just part of it.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #915
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Still it is weaksauce

Not quite as lame as having to pay 7 bucks for AFL throwback jerseys.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #916
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Still it is weaksauce

Not quite as lame as having to pay 7 bucks for AFL throwback jerseys.

Reebok was giving away codes for the AFL pack as recently as a few weeks ago. Check out Fat Wallet or CAG to see if it's still running.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #917
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sunday at Best Buy through Halloween, buy 2, get 1 free.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 10-22-2009 at 10:15 PM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #918
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

First 'Uncharted: Eye of Indra' motion comic book is up on PSN. Here's the YouTube version for those that don't have access.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #919
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Was excited about the best buy ad until I saw that it looks like $58.99 or less.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 10-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #920
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Was excited about the best buy ad until I saw that it looks like $58.99 or less.

Looks like you're right. There are still a couple games I have been contemplating getting under 59 bucks, so I'll still do that but it is still pretty lame though not unexpected.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #921
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

FIFA 10 is the best soccer game I've ever played (which is limited) - I'm not so sure much else sports gaming wise is going to get much playing time.

I was up all night playing, had some friends over and today one of them calls me and says they picked up an x360 and the game.

The word "organic" is now a common video game term and that term fits FIFA 10 better than any sports game I've ever played - and I'm not a soccer freak.

Wow.. incredible game play and I can really tell when I'm playing with Chelsea or some low level team.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #922
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

PS3 version of Fallout 3 available on Amazon for $20.

Fallout 3 for Playstation 3 $20 - Slickdeals.net
Old 10-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #923
stevew
Hall Of Famer

fuckin a.

My wallet hates you.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #924
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, buying it again, what the hell.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #925
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
fuckin a.

My wallet hates you.

Problem solved.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 10-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #926
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just finished Uncharted 2. Total blast the entire way through. Can't recommend it enough.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:34 AM   #927
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

$59.99 or less.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #928
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Just finished Uncharted 2. Total blast the entire way through. Can't recommend it enough.

Finished the game as well and I agree...very last part of the game was a bit frustrating for me though.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #929
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Had to decide between Batman: Arkham Asylum and this. Went with Batman but it pretty much sounds like I couldn't go wrong with either choice. May turn a couple trade ins into Uncharted 2 at some point.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #930
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Finished the game as well and I agree...very last part of the game was a bit frustrating for me though.

Yeah it took me like 45 minutes to beat it because I'd end up doing some stupid on the last go around every time and I die.

I am going to try it on very hard next (beat it on hard) and then see if I can't tackle the other difficulty that unlocks after.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #931
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah it took me like 45 minutes to beat it because I'd end up doing some stupid on the last go around every time and I die.

I am going to try it on very hard next (beat it on hard) and then see if I can't tackle the other difficulty that unlocks after.

I got there at about 1:00 in the morning last night and figured I'd go ahead and finish the game. At 2:30 I finally got to go to bed.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #932
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
$59.99 or less.

Is that confirmed? I could see where Mustang is coming from in that ad as the 9 in 59 looks different in the .99.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #933
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Is that confirmed? I could see where Mustang is coming from in that ad as the 9 in 59 looks different in the .99.

That's an artifact. It will be "$59.99 or less."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #934
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
That's an artifact. It will be "$59.99 or less."

Gracias.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #935
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm heading up to my Best Buy this morning (not really patient enough to wait for an on-line order to come) to buy:

NHL 10 for the 360
Uncharted 2 for the PS3

and one of the following:
inFamous
Fight Night Round 4
Demon's Souls
Smackdown vs. Raw 2010
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:57 AM   #936
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Let me know if they have Demon's Soul @ Best Buy. When I go online it looks like they don't have it in stores - only online. I may be doing the Best Buy deal to get Demon's Soul - I just don't know what other two to get.

I beat Uncharted 2 last night. Ending was pretty good - easy I thought but still good. I played some co-op last night after beating it. If anyone wants to get online sometime let me know...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #937
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Let me know if they have Demon's Soul @ Best Buy. When I go online it looks like they don't have it in stores - only online. I may be doing the Best Buy deal to get Demon's Soul - I just don't know what other two to get.

I beat Uncharted 2 last night. Ending was pretty good - easy I thought but still good. I played some co-op last night after beating it. If anyone wants to get online sometime let me know...

My Best Buy had three copies yesterday. I think most places have been resupplied at this point.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #938
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Thankfully it was 59.99. Although, at the time 58.99 seemed more believable and something they would do.

Too bad I couldn't get my butt out of bed to go. I'm sure the newer games were raided hard this morning at the local Best Buy given that there is someone that sells on Ebay that lives close to it.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #939
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I was one of a few people at Best Buy. They had tons of copies of Uncharted 2 and a good number of Demon's Soul (which I passed on but it was a tough choice).

I ended up with Uncharted 2, NHL 10, and inFamous for $126 and some change so not too bad.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #940
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I picked up Borderlands, FIFA 10 and Need For Speed Shift for the 360.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #941
spleen1015
Coordinator

Picked up

Fight Night on 360
Batman on 360
Need for Speed Shift on 360
Prototype on 360
Borderlands for PS3
Cooking Mama on Wii
Monopoly on Wii
Hannah Montana on Wii
Hasbro Game Night on Wii

Christmas presents for the brats.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #942
spleen1015
Coordinator

Dola,

I was the only person there at opening and no one else was in the game section when I walked away with my loot.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #943
samifan24
Pro Starter

Is Best Buy having a big sale this weekend only or something?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #944
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Is Best Buy having a big sale this weekend only or something?

Today through Halloween, buy 2 games, get the 3rd free on any system.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #945
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Today through Halloween, buy 2 games, get the 3rd free on any system.

Thanks. I thought it was today only. May swing by once Forza 3 is out to see if I can get that and 2 others.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #946
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Doesn't Toys-R-Us have this type of sale a lot of the time?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #947
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I cannot wait for Skate 3. Not out until early 2010 but it's based on skate teams this year and you can have friends come in and out of your solo game to help you out. Their skaters then stay in the game controlled by AI when they leave.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #948
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, but from what I can tell, Best Buy has a much more inclusive line of games in stock.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #949
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
They did a couple of weeks ago.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #950
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

What's to prevent you from buying three games and just returning them when say... Modern Warfare 2 comes out?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote