Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #901
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I don't think we 'blunder about' - we work hard and strive bravely against injustice before keeping a stiff upper lip when as go out of a tournament on penalties ....

Lol... you know, the English and Americans both do their fair share of blundering about or whatever you want to call it. The difference is, the English look apologetic for doing it, while us Americans look at everyone like they should have moved out of our way.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #902
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
LOL

At the moment I view Germany as playing nice flowing football, their 'technique' is very efficient, nice passing, good control and movement etc.

Its probably more 'acceptable' to say 'Spain' these days - but from an English perspective we look to Germany for inspiration because England beat them 5-1 back in 2006 and they've come a LONG way since then ... yeah any excuse to post a link to that match

England 5 - Germany 1
I mean, it shows how reputations change over time (as Katon pointed out initially). Germany now is the golden standard for fast paced high-skilled 'sexy football'. Yeah, "Spain", some would say, but I find their 5-5-0 ball control heavy game plan boring.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #903
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
I mean, it shows how reputations change over time (as Katon pointed out initially). Germany now is the golden standard for fast paced high-skilled 'sexy football'. Yeah, "Spain", some would say, but I find their 5-5-0 ball control heavy game plan boring.

btw hope you're watching the England - Chile friendly, very good so far (even if we're losing at the moment) ... incredibly open with both sides apparently haven forgotten how to defend
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #904
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

If this is an 'international' game, why isn't the USA playing an actual nation?

And why isn't there a team from only the United Kingdom, like in the Olympics?

This should have happened years ago. FIFA needs to get this done.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #905
bhlloy
Coordinator

Why?

(Bearing in mind that the home nations are far from the only example of non-sovereign nations that have FIFA membership, they are just the biggest)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #906
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

English commentators you gotta love em ... "that was a good foul" ...
Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #907
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
If this is an 'international' game, why isn't the USA playing an actual nation?
Err Scotland is a nation - please expect your local Scottish bloke to come around to explain this to you later this evening using large blunt objects

Quote:
And why isn't there a team from only the United Kingdom, like in the Olympics?
The UK is an alliance of seperate nations - think of it like an easy test case of the European Union on a smaller scale

Quote:
This should have happened years ago. FIFA needs to get this done.
Never going to happen - it'd be hugely resisted by the individual nations involved .. there was enough ruckus over having a UK team for the Olympics (and various players, nations refused to be involved as it was).
Old 11-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #908
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Notes for the upcoming World Cup: Colombia is a very dirty team. Score at half time in a friendly with Oranje: 2 players kicked out of the game injured, 1 player provoked into a red card after an attempt to amputate a foot and 1 yellow card for an attempt to punch a player knockout.
Indeed, Colombia will be a challenger for the title!

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 11-19-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #909
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Ronaldo. Wow.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #910
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Ronaldo. Wow.

Even Ibrahimovic was applauding
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #911
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ronaldo vs Ibrahimovic. Game of the year.

It's like Bird vs Jordan, both in their prime
Old 11-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #912
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well that was a thoroughly disappointing set of results for those of us who like to see small nations at the World Cup. Really wanted to see Burkina Faso and Iceland make it
Old 11-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #913
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Well that was a thoroughly disappointing set of results for those of us who like to see small nations at the World Cup. Really wanted to see Burkina Faso and Iceland make it
Yup, same here.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #914
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Because of one awesome game from Ronaldo, FIFA is trying to get voters to change their Player of the Year votes. Maybe they should stop doing these 'Player of the Year' polls at 80% of the year finished and learn to actually wait for the year to end...

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 11-20-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #915
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Might surprise people to know I was actually quite happy with the England vs Germany game, I thought England looked fairly composed during the match generally and outside of our 'finishing' we had some nice movement and didn't look awful.

I'm also (possibly strangely) pleased we lost - having lost a couple of matches the media will hopefully ease off their expectations and not see us as potential world cup winners, which will help a lot with the preparations and allow the team to take a sensible approach tactically to matches without the press complaining about the team being too conservative etc.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #916
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Well, no reason to watch the World Cup next year.

Sweden's Zlatan Ibrahimovic - World Cup is nothing without me - ESPN FC
Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #917
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Well, no reason to watch the World Cup next year.

Sweden's Zlatan Ibrahimovic - World Cup is nothing without me - ESPN FC

I have to admit I have a soft spot for him
Old 11-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #918
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Brazil's World Cup Kick-Off Times Are Perfect

World Soccer Talk has compiled the TV times for the World Cup, which begins on June 12 and ends July 13. Because most of the Brazil venues are two hours ahead of the East Coast, these are some very America-friendly times. (All times Eastern.)

In the group stage, over the first two legs, match days will play out in three slots, at 12 noon, 3 p.m, and 6 p.m. nearly every day. Perfect timing for long lunches, watching streaming games at your desk in the afternoon, and after-work bar visits.

Over the final two days of the group stage, when all four teams in a group play simultaneously, two matches each will be played at 12 p.m. and 4 p.m.

That schedule extends through the knockout stages, with the Round of 16 and the quarterfinals seeing matches every day at 12 p.m. and 4 p.m.

The two semifinals will be played at 4 p.m., and the final on Sunday, July 12, at 3 p.m.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #919
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
having lost a couple of matches the media will hopefully ease off their expectations and not see us as potential world cup winners,

I love the fact you are such an optimist

Do you really think "The Sun", "The Mirror" and that lovely balanced paper "The Daily Mail" will do anything but claim England should not only win the World Cup, but should win it easily, and anything less is a huge failure and those responsible should be hung, drawn and quartered publicly.

There will be hype, recriminations and demands of the wholesale changes after England fail to meet their unrealistic expectations of destroying every opponent by at least 6 goals.

It has always been this way and so it will always be this way.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #920
AlexB
Pro Starter

To be fair the Mail doesn't bother with the feelgood optimism at the start, goes straight for the hanging, etc in the month before the tournament!

Cuts out the obviously unnecessary temporary change of editorial focus
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #921
miami_fan
Coordinator

Great start on Merseyside.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #922
miami_fan
Coordinator

WTF Phil Dowd?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #923
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wow. What a Merseyside derby, has it all, goals, controversy, etcetera.

That should have been a red card for the foul on Suarez in the first half, but wow, Lukaku is a beast.

edit: HOLY Shit, Sturridge in the 89th minute ties it up!

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-23-2013 at 08:33 AM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #924
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Big kudos to Sporting KC on the huge win tonight against Houston. Sporting now hosts the championship game next Sunday against either Portland or Real Salt Lake. Stadium was electric tonight and it's going to be bonkers next weekend.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #925
miami_fan
Coordinator

AC Milan fans prevent players exit from San Siro - reports - ESPN FC

Quote:
Angry AC Milan supporters have reportedly prevented players leaving the San Siro and demanded a meeting with the team after the 1-1 draw with Genoa.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #926
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

City absolutely raped Spurs today. Made them look like a 4th division team. Could've been 10-nil.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #927
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
City absolutely raped Spurs today. Made them look like a 4th division team. Could've been 10-nil.

Yes sir they did. Nasri had a great game, and of course, Aguero and Negredo killed it together again.

Edit: Thought the back four looked good also...especially Zabaleta.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 11-24-2013 at 01:24 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #928
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

Spurs tactics were incredibly inept ... and then they didn't change them, wtf?
Old 11-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #929
BishopMVP
Coordinator

This is one of those things I will never understand. I can get pissed at Tom Brady or Diego Fagundez for not coming through in the end, but I would never think to chase them down outside of the game. Although maybe it's different when every other game in your country is suspected of bribery.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #930
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Solid 2-0 win for Juve over Livorno. Nice to see the Tevez-Llorente partnership continue to develop (1 goal each, Llorente with the assist to Tevez also via a beautiful lay-off). Also nice to see them take care of business with a makeshift back-line.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-25-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #931
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

AFP: Milan leave stadium after players meet angry 'ultras'
Old 11-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #932
Kodos
Resident Alien

Was anyone else suprised to see JiMG replied to a soccer thread? I just had to see why...
Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #933
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Was anyone else suprised to see JiMG replied to a soccer thread? I just had to see why...

Hey, I usually read (well, "click on") nearly all the threads. The bolded-as-unread irks me so I clear 'em. As it happened, this story caught my eye enough to follow up on it yesterday.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #934
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

We're winning!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #935
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm on Jon's team.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-25-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #936
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Non-news. 'Fans' in the Netherlands do that every week.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #937
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Alvaro Negredo is such an underrated player. Not for too much longer though.

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #938
TroyF
Coordinator

The group of death living up to it's name. There could be three teams on 12 points. Arsenal will get through so long as they don't lose by 3 goals to Napoli. I wish it were done and dusted at this point, but at least there is some room for error.

I love how this Arsenal team are having different guys step up at different points this year. Giroud had an on fire start. Ramsey has been sensational all year, but really had a one months stretch of pure greatness. He has a couple of off games and Wilshire has been a machine the last couple of weeks.

Crossing fingers, knocking on wood, salt over shoulder, etc. . . I'm excited to see an Arsenal team with a full starting 11 play a game for once. Giroud, Ozil, Cazorla, Walcott, Wilshire, Ramsey, Kos, Mert, Sagna, Gibbs. It'll be fun to see how that group start off.

The three subs who came on yesterday were three of Arsenals top four players last year. (Cazorla, Walcott, Arteta) It's nice to actually have some depth.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #939
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Messi-less Barcelona looked vulnerable, Neymar by no means is as good as Messi is, yet.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #940
whomario
Pro Starter

Dortmund with a crucial win, especially it being 3-1 and thus controlling their own destiny. Win against Marseille and they are through to the knockout stage.
Played for the win all game, just an amazingly enjoyable group of players they put together for 4,5 years in a row now. Klopp has a neat little commercial basically saying heīs wired and driven by a "joy to win" rather than trying not to loose. Perfect characterization for his team.

Even last weekend, when they lost 0:3 to Bayern, there was no reason for them to hang their head. Missed all 4 projected starters at the back and still played their usual agressive and fast forward play. (same yesterday, with 4 guys at the back either projected as backups and/or playing out of position)

Sven Bender with another facial inury (has to be close to double digits by now), playing 75 minutes with a broken and blodied nose (to the point where they had to get extra jerseys for him from the fan shop)

Hoping for both Arsenal and the BVB to advance here.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-27-2013 at 01:47 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #941
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm awesome. I just snuck in a trip to the gym and made it back and fired up the stream literally right at kickoff of the Juve game.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #942
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

FML

STOP LETTING TEAMS SCORE ON YOU JUVE OR YOU'RE GOING OUT OF THE CL!!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #943
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Another PK for Juve. 2-1 now.

Both were clear fouls - second the Kobenhaven guy actually got lucky as it probably ought to have been a red.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #944
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

3-1

Nice header by Vidal arriving late.

Phew...I can breathe a bit easier now.

Real Madrid doing their part.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-27-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #945
TroyF
Coordinator

Arsenal now seven clear with all the other big boys to play tomorrow. It's still shocking for me to look at the subs list and see that all of them are good players who I wouldn't be unhappy to see come into the game.

A quick listing of the last few years after 13 games:

2013 - 31 points, +17 GD, at least 4 points clear
2012 - 20 points, +10 GD, 8 points behind
2011 - 23 points, +3 GD, 7 points behind
2010 - 23 points, +13, 5 points behind
2009 - 25 points, +21, 8 points behind

I think this team has something special about it. There does need to be another striker in January. I personally think they need another DC. But overall, it's a team that looks like it can stay for the long haul.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #946
MacroGuru
Coordinator

The Pots have been released for the world cup...

Quote:
  • POT 1: Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, Colombia, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Uruguay
  • POT 2: Algeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria, Chile, Ecuador
  • POT 3: USA, Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, Australia, Iran, Japan, South Korea,
  • POT 4: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia

Doesn't look appealing for the US at all.

Of course, the simulator has been updated to reflect the Pots as well...

2014 FIFA World Cup Group stage Draws Simulator
Old 12-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #947
cartman
Death Herald

Ran through 10 draws.

Belgium
Chile
Bosnia-Herzegovina

Germany
Ecuador
Italy

Colombia
Portugal
England

Germany
Nigeria
England

Belgium
Ghana
Portugal

Brazil
Cameroon
Italy

Uruguay
Croatia
Bosnia-Herzegovina

Brazil
Nigeria
Netherlands

Switzerland
Nigeria
France

Spain
Cameroon
Netherlands

None of them look very appealing. Numbers 1, 7 and 9 look like ones where the USA could advance.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #948
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
why the hell is there one pot with 7 and one with 9 teams ? Surely regional fitting canīt be so important as to disregard the most basic rules of doing a draw ?

Just found this little tidbit on the article that was added after I posted

Quote:
*Now, those exceptions. There are nine teams in Pot 4, so at the draw, one will be moved to Pot 2, which only has seven teams. Thanks to Pot 2's global nature, the draw will be altered to make sure that moved UEFA team doesn't end up in a group with two other European countries, and that the Pot 2 CONMEBOL teams are the only South American countries in their group.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #949
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm more of a pessimist. Of yours cartman I'd say #7 is the only one where we're a good bet to advance.

France isn't going to roll over for anybody in #9, and we always have trouble with African teams, so I can see Nigeria pipping us.

#1 I think Chile is a sure bet, and then Belgium has all those scary young kids and is disciplined defensively.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #950
bhlloy
Coordinator

They will fix it so one European team is in pot 2 and do a special draw I believe.