Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #901
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
maybe if nobody picks him up, they'll bring him back as the intern?
That whole backup goalie/GM thing worked out for Garth Snow.

I would question his Excel and PowerPoint proficiency.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #902
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am excited by the prospect of a: Sedin-Sundin-Sedin line. That could be enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Hard to tell if this is a rebound or merely a dead cat bounce,

Hadn't heard that phrase in a while and it made me chuckle

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #903
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
after Stastny - Stastny - Stastny, you mean?

Naw, you just go with "One", "Two" and "Three" there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:22 PM   #904
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Bizarre incident early in the Ducks/Oilers game. Selanne getting taken into the boards by Grebeshkov stays down and at first look it appears he got cut in the face. As he's going off the ice he doesn't put any weight on his left leg and from replays they figure he cut himself with his own skate during the hit. No word on how bad it is yet but quite a bit of blood was left on the ice.

Really hope the cut is relatively superficial and nothing serious.

Yup, still don't know for sure how bad it is. It's definitely a cut on the leg. I mean, don't know when he'll be back or what his status is. The game was showing on a channel locally that doesn't come in very well at my place, so I didn't have the game on and didn't see when this happened. Ugh.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #905
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yup, still don't know for sure how bad it is. It's definitely a cut on the leg. I mean, don't know when he'll be back or what his status is. The game was showing on a channel locally that doesn't come in very well at my place, so I didn't have the game on and didn't see when this happened. Ugh.

They updated later in the broadcast that he had 9 stitches but was heading back to Anaheim for a MRI. No word on how deep the cut was or how long he'd be out for.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #906
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
They updated later in the broadcast that he had 9 stitches but was heading back to Anaheim for a MRI. No word on how deep the cut was or how long he'd be out for.

Yeah, the second part is what has people concerned, since of course, not only does a cut like that hurt like hell, but you keep the legs so active in hockey that it's not like you can play with a cut like that on your leg, even bandaged up. The risk of ripping the stitches and bleeding again, pain or muscle damage aside, is too much.

And there is no replacing a Selanne in our lineup (even though I like some of our wings at Iowa).

Old 12-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #907
samifan24
Pro Starter

...And the Bruins keep winning...
Old 12-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #908
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pens tanking for Tavares. Can he play wing?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #909
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

...And Kessel keeps tallying...
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #910
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

So the Blackhawks aren't doing too badly, I'm trying to get tickets but they are the hottest show in town and its costing a bundle. Never been to a hockey game before.

Winter Classic tickets are running $400/pair.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #911
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

I'm amazed by their run....

And pissed that I have ZERO access to the NHL on TV out here in Boise until the NBC schedule starts. I might have to take the plunge on whatever NHL.com has to offer in terms of game video/audio.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #912
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You gotta think they will trade a defensemen sooner or later for a winger.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #913
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Leafs winning to lose Tavares.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #914
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
You gotta think they will trade a defensemen sooner or later for a winger.

Sure they'll move one. But what are they going to get in return.

Whitney played an AHL game last night, and is scheduled to play the 23rd vs Tampa. That leaves them with 8 guys:

Whitney, Letang, Orpik, Scuderi, Eaton, Boucher, Goligoski and Gill

Gill hasn't played in about 2 weeks, but it doesn't seem to be a severe injury.

Orpik is the one guy they won't move, he's the only physical D they have.
Boucher, Scuderi, Eaton or Gill wouldn't net much in return, unless packaged with someone/thing else.

That leaves Whitney, Goligoski and Letang. Of the 3, I say Letang is untouchable. He's not in the league of guys like Phaneuf or Weber, but he's a 21 year old RH D, and has been playing against opponent's top lines the majority of the season. And he's still on his rookie deal. Whatever the Penguins get, probably isn't good enough to give him up.

Whitney would make the most sense, as he's signed long term, and coming off a "bad" year where he still reached 40 pts. For those same reasons, I don't see him going anywhere.

That leaves Goligoski. He's been better than Letang at points offensively, but while he's OK in his own end, he's doing that against teams 3rd lines. At 5'10" about 185 (he's been compared to Rafalski) he will probably never be a top pairing guy, and on a team without Gonchar, Whitney and Letang are.

It's about 2-3 weeks until Tyler Kennedy returns, and he should get a shot on the top 2 lines when he returns. The 3rd line has found some consistency keeping Cookie-Staal- RW of the day, so he doesn't need to be put back in that spot.

The other option that will keep coming up is move Staal for a similar aged winger, but I don't see that happening either. For it to make sense for Pittsburgh, the winger needs to be a top 6 type, signed somewhat long term, and preferably young enough to be in his prime along with Crosby/Malkin. Teams that have that guy don't trade him. Plus, Staal will be an RFA. The team giving up the young winger would want him coming in the a deal already signed.

So Goligoski + a pick + someone like Satan or Fedotenko possibly (to dump salary as well as replace the forward for the trading partner).

Who is that getting me?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #915
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Whitney played an AHL game last night, and is scheduled to play the 23rd vs Tampa. That leaves them with 8 guys:

Boucher, Scuderi, Eaton or Gill wouldn't net much in return, unless packaged with someone/thing else.

That leaves Whitney, Goligoski and Letang. Of the 3, I say Letang is untouchable. He's not in the league of guys like Phaneuf or Weber, but he's a 21 year old RH D, and has been playing against opponent's top lines the majority of the season. And he's still on his rookie deal. Whatever the Penguins get, probably isn't good enough to give him up.

Whitney would make the most sense, as he's signed long term, and coming off a "bad" year where he still reached 40 pts. For those same reasons, I don't see him going anywhere.

That leaves Goligoski. He's been better than Letang at points offensively, but while he's OK in his own end, he's doing that against teams 3rd lines. At 5'10" about 185 (he's been compared to Rafalski) he will probably never be a top pairing guy, and on a team without Gonchar, Whitney and Letang are.

It's about 2-3 weeks until Tyler Kennedy returns, and he should get a shot on the top 2 lines when he returns. The 3rd line has found some consistency keeping Cookie-Staal- RW of the day, so he doesn't need to be put back in that spot.

The other option that will keep coming up is move Staal for a similar aged winger, but I don't see that happening either. For it to make sense for Pittsburgh, the winger needs to be a top 6 type, signed somewhat long term, and preferably young enough to be in his prime along with Crosby/Malkin. Teams that have that guy don't trade him. Plus, Staal will be an RFA. The team giving up the young winger would want him coming in the a deal already signed.

So Goligoski + a pick + someone like Satan or Fedotenko possibly (to dump salary as well as replace the forward for the trading partner).

Who is that getting me?

Buffalo will give you Afinogenov and you can keep all of those guys.

A bag of pucks will suffice...
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #916
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Who is that getting me?

Honestly, there are two ways Pitt goes:

Damaged goods for damaged goods, or a pending UFA who costs more then he's worth.

Pittsburgh is like Detroit; any deal they make is probably going to be a one year move unless they plan on replenishing guys that must be moved with farm hands.

I am not sure that Pittsburgh has enough guys who could step in to make a nessecary move to get a top 6 winger considering the cost of one of those already.

If you deal Staal, you're not going to get a more accomplished scorer, so obviously as you said you have to package him, and now who do you get back?

Chances are it's a guy who either just got paid or will get paid unless he is a prospect, which obviously the Pens don't need right now.

I think Pit has to stay the course and see what shakes out closer to the deadline, and determine then the best plan for them, and then maybe make a run at Gabs, as risky as it is, but after what happened with Hossa, I don't see it really being a fit.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #917
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Buffalo will give you Afinogenov and you can keep all of those guys.

A bag of pucks will suffice...

Great, another floating winger to pair with Satan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Honestly, there are two ways Pitt goes:

Damaged goods for damaged goods, or a pending UFA who costs more then he's worth.

Pittsburgh is like Detroit; any deal they make is probably going to be a one year move unless they plan on replenishing guys that must be moved with farm hands.

I am not sure that Pittsburgh has enough guys who could step in to make a nessecary move to get a top 6 winger considering the cost of one of those already.

If you deal Staal, you're not going to get a more accomplished scorer, so obviously as you said you have to package him, and now who do you get back?

Chances are it's a guy who either just got paid or will get paid unless he is a prospect, which obviously the Pens don't need right now.

I think Pit has to stay the course and see what shakes out closer to the deadline, and determine then the best plan for them, and then maybe make a run at Gabs, as risky as it is, but after what happened with Hossa, I don't see it really being a fit.

Yeah, they really can't afford to give up what they gave up for Hossa for another similar player (Gaborik). They need to hold onto their 1st rounders and get a winger who they can pay cheap for a handful of years.

Like Dr Sak said, they'll have D to deal. Once Gonchar returns, they'll be at 9. And have a handful of young guys who could compete for spots in 2 years.

Nathan Horton is a name I am hearing alot, because he's struggling in Florida. He's at $4M a year. I would do Goligoski+ for him, but paying him, along with Crosby and Malkin, plus retaining Staal is probably close to impossible. Staal is going to be near $4M himself = $25M for 4 forwards.

At the deadline, a guy like Tkachuk makes tons of sense, and being a UFA on the downside of his career, he won't command what Hossa did.

I think they'd go after Havlat (assuming Chicago is out of it) before Gaborik.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #918
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Pretty ridiculous goal by Blake Wheeler, SH through about 4 guys.

YouTube - Blake Wheeler scores an amazing shorthanded goal
Old 12-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #919
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola

He said he wanted to pass to Krejci but Krejci went off for a line change so he did the next best thing and stickhandled through the entire Blues powerplay. The Bruins just won't quit.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #920
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Teemu's out for 4-6 weeks. No muscle/tendon damage in the cut, at least.

Bobby Ryan will assume much of Teemu's responsibilities on the top power play unit, which is a huge responsibility (Teemu leads the league in PPG). He probably also moves back up to the second line (he was moved to the 4th line a few games ago to help generate a quality energy line, and it was working, alas no more of that).

Old 12-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #921
bhlloy
Coordinator

Hey, if there is one good thing to come out of this it's more ice time for Ryan. Now is the time to see if he is really ready to contribute this year and into the playoffs. The downside is the 4th line was really looking good, but I'm sure we'll survive.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #922
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Hey, if there is one good thing to come out of this it's more ice time for Ryan. Now is the time to see if he is really ready to contribute this year and into the playoffs. The downside is the 4th line was really looking good, but I'm sure we'll survive.

Ebbett has been good in Iowa and was great last year at Portland. I am hopeful he can also take this opportunity and run with it, as I have to think he will be the one replacing Ryan on the 4th line.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #923
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

ESPN - Bruins vs. Blues - Recap - December 21, 2008

watch the video clip (the 2nd goal on the clip). The entire city of St Louis has a chance to stop a solo rush, and doesn't. Well, that's just a slight exaggeration, but by the end of that clip, the entire on-ice Blues team seems to be around him.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-21-2008 at 11:32 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:34 PM   #924
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
ESPN - Bruins vs. Blues - Recap - December 21, 2008

watch the video clip (the 2nd goal on the clip). The entire city of St Louis has a chance to stop a solo rush, and doesn't. Well, that's just a slight exaggeration, but by the end of that clip, the entire on-ice Blues team seems to be around him.

Heh...

Quote:
Dola

Old 12-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #925
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Teemu's out for 4-6 weeks. No muscle/tendon damage in the cut, at least.

Couple other injuries-

Patrice Bergeron with another concussion. I've read minimum of one week, but that can't be good for a guy who missed all of last season with a concussion.

And Derick Brassard done for the year in Columbus, dislocated shoulder. He was playing really well, finally a #1 C in Columbus.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #926
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
So the Blackhawks aren't doing too badly, I'm trying to get tickets but they are the hottest show in town and its costing a bundle. Never been to a hockey game before.

Winter Classic tickets are running $400/pair.

Ouch.

I was going to make mention of the Hawks after seeing them get their 6th and 7th wins in a row on back to back nights at Calgary and at Vancouver.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #927
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

With Crosby disregard, NHL obviously endorses genital walloping - Puck Dadd... - NHL - Yahoo! Sports
Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #928
Logan
Head Coach

Great headline.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #929
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

And now they award him a goal that was obviously put in with a high stick.

Conspiracy.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #930
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

It was close...honestly there was no angle that gave a good view of it. So the call on the ice had to stand.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #931
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Thing is, I don't think the ref ever signaled goal on the ice. The play only stopped because the puck was in the net.

Agree, none of the angles were conclusive. And thank God Bettman made a quick call to Toronto.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #932
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Thing is, I don't think the ref ever signaled goal on the ice. The play only stopped because the puck was in the net.

Agree, none of the angles were conclusive. And thank God Bettman made a quick call to Toronto.

This is what I got lost. Did the refs rule it a goal, or did the light guy?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #933
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
This is what I got lost. Did the refs rule it a goal, or did the light guy?

The light guy means nothing, as you'll often see the light turned on/off quickly when they assume it's a goal.

I am honestly not sure what the call at ice level was.

This is a couple frames before he actually touches the puck, so even this isn't conclusive:

Old 12-22-2008, 10:12 PM   #934
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Shitty picture quality. This confirms that...it's still fucking inconclusive. I'd argue it appears below the crossbar, but taking into account the angle of the camera, that means nothing.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:58 PM   #935
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

One more, looks like the ref is pointing "good goal"

Old 12-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #936
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Dola

Shitty picture quality. This confirms that...it's still fucking inconclusive. I'd argue it appears below the crossbar, but taking into account the angle of the camera, that means nothing.

Just to post the rule:

"(vi) When the puck has been directed into the net by a stick of an attacking player that is above the height of the crossbar."

Does that mean any part of the stick above the crossbar, or the point where puck hit the stick? Either way, it's a tough call. It just seemed like one ref called it a goal and the other one went right over the booth. At least we got a point (I guess). I just wish our defensemen would learn to clean/tie up guys in the front of the net so the wouldn't be in position to make those plays. Of course, billionaire Tommy G is having too much fun hob-nobbing with the state politicans and important figures, unwilling to spend that extra few million bucks left under the left (the Sabres have a self-imposed cap) NHL cap, to give really care. With Larry Quinn in charge, it only handcuffs what the team can do

This team just seems to get ahead and make stupid turnovers late in the game, giving other teams the team. I'm starting to wonder if it's time to let Lindy go and bring in someone new.

I gotta say, Malkin is becoming a guy I hate playing against more than Crosby. He just seems to be an incredible playmaker.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-23-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #937
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Going 1 for 6 on the PP didn't help

I am really starting to think that something is nagging Crosby. Similar to Malkin in the SCF last year, where he was battling the flu and coming off the huge hit by Richards in the ECF, and was invisible most of the SCF.

Crosby just seems to be losing alot of one-on-one battles he typicall wins.

Or maybe it's just all the stupid fucking drop passes he's making.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #938
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Of course, billionaire Tommy G is having too much fun hob-nobbing with the state politicans and important figures, unwilling to spend that extra few million bucks left under the left (the Sabres have a self-imposed cap) NHL cap, to give really care. With Larry Quinn in charge, it only handcuffs what the team can do

This team just seems to get ahead and make stupid turnovers late in the game, giving other teams the team. I'm starting to wonder if it's time to let Lindy go and bring in someone new.

Hehe...you don't happen to frequent the HF Boards do you?

If not, I apologize but those statements above just seem to echo the sentiment over there.

Plain and simple: if Paille doesn't take a ridiculously stupid, selfish penalty late in the 3rd, the Pens don't go on the powerplay and likely lose the game.

The players just aren't performing - I think this is more of an indictment on Darcy Regier (who I do like) as opposed to Lindy. Regier has to recognize that guys like Teppo, Peters, Paetsch, etc just aren't good enough to play anymore and utilize the kids on the farm more. Heck, Chris Butler has been fantastic in his three games...keep the kid up and scratch Numminen when Rivet gets healthy.

But it won't happen and the Sabres will continue to plod along in ninth place and continue to give us fans false hope that they can make the playoffs.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #939
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Does that mean any part of the stick above the crossbar, or the point where puck hit the stick?
Obviously it's the point where the puck hits the stick... otherwise half the deflected goals would be illegal.

From that screen grab, it looks like a good goal.

One point, though. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I don't believe the "call on the ice" really matters. People assume the NHL is like the NFL, where an inconclusive replay reverts back to the original call, but I don't think that's actually the case.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #940
bbor
Pro Starter

Actually i think that the call on the ice does matter.I think they do need conclusive evidence on the replay to change the call on the ice.

I'm sure you'll look it up ML...you're good at those things....or maybe you could just give Fraser a call?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #941
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
One point, though. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I don't believe the "call on the ice" really matters. People assume the NHL is like the NFL, where an inconclusive replay reverts back to the original call, but I don't think that's actually the case.

I'm of this opinion as well
Old 12-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #942
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Hehe...you don't happen to frequent the HF Boards do you?

If not, I apologize but those statements above just seem to echo the sentiment over there.

Plain and simple: if Paille doesn't take a ridiculously stupid, selfish penalty late in the 3rd, the Pens don't go on the powerplay and likely lose the game.

The players just aren't performing - I think this is more of an indictment on Darcy Regier (who I do like) as opposed to Lindy. Regier has to recognize that guys like Teppo, Peters, Paetsch, etc just aren't good enough to play anymore and utilize the kids on the farm more. Heck, Chris Butler has been fantastic in his three games...keep the kid up and scratch Numminen when Rivet gets healthy.

But it won't happen and the Sabres will continue to plod along in ninth place and continue to give us fans false hope that they can make the playoffs.

Not really.

I do agree with you. I just think having a more involved, hockey-passionate owner makes a big difference.

I'm really liking Butler. He looks like he could be a great player for us for a long, long time.

The late penalties are killing us and a lack of power play production. I just wonder if the players aren't responding to Ruff anymore.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-23-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #943
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Actually i think that the call on the ice does matter.I think they do need conclusive evidence on the replay to change the call on the ice.

If so, it must be an updated rule. I've definitely seen times when the replay was obviously inconclusive but the original call was changed.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #944
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

So I just looked it up, and as I suspected there is nothing in the NHL rulebook about reverting to the call on the ice if a replay is inconclusive. In fact, there's nothing there about inconclusive replays at all.

My interpretation is that there's no way off the hook for a video goal judge. He has to make a call based on what he can see. He doesn't get to hand the decision back to the on-ice officials.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #945
samifan24
Pro Starter

Sidney Crosby punches Boris Valabik down low. How was Crosby not suspended for this? I don't care that he's a star player, this is disgusting.

Last edited by samifan24 : 12-23-2008 at 03:07 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #946
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I love Crosby's "fight" last night (nailing the guy in the nuts from behind).

I really thought we needed to see the video as evidence of Crosby's true stripes.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #947
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

As a Pens fan, there is no way I can say Crosby was right in what he did.

Maybe this is my black & gold glasses, but I have to think something happened in the original scrum, where Valabik jumps Crosby from behind, for him to snap. In 3+ years in the league, he's never gone after someone like that.

But it is funny that people were all over Crosby for him jumping into a scrum from behind vs. Philly last week, but the same thing happens, probably every game, as Valabik proves, and those are accepted. Anything Crosby does is magnified X 100

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 12-23-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #948
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

It's because Pittsburghers always have an excuse for Crosby. There is always a reason why he does stuff and none of it is his fault. If he wants to fight someone drop the gloves, you've seen enough old Pens games to know that Lemuiex did it when he had enough.

Honestly I was just busting your balls about jumping in from behind in the game in Philly. I've watched enough hockey to know it happens every game. It's fun to talk shit about Crosby to any Pens fans because it is almost like you are disrespecting their mother.

If most of the league does that, they are suspended, but since it is Crosby, it is overlooked. It isn't like it was a stray punch...he wound up twice and hit him in the balls.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 12-23-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #949
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I agree it was wrong. But that is any other player in the league (outside of Avery), that isn't even a story.

I don't know the particulars, but didn't Steve Downie punch Jason Blake who was being held by a referee? I think everyone would agree that is wrong. But I bet me, you (as a Flyers fan) and maybe one other person here remembers that. Why? Cause it was meaningless. But if it was Crosby, it would be blown up a thousand times.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #950
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Off topic ..

But remember the WJC years ago when Jack Johnson blatantly killed Steve Downie?

Good times.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote