Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #901
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

*looks around the digital room we're all communicating in, all of which was predicted, shaped and encouraged by Neuromancer, and whistles as he walks away*

NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:57 PM   #902
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
No, I got the order mixed up. Somewhere in there is a wtf for androids or something.

Boo! You don't like my scifi/fantasy pick?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:57 PM   #903
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
Oh, and World of Warcraft/Second Life? Yep, all sprung in various forms from Neuromancer -- philosophically, at least.

Would you agree that Tolkien probably spawned more alternate universes than any other writer?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #904
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Would you agree that Tolkien probably spawned more alternate universes than any other writer?

In literature? Nope. I'd name at least one or two books which haven't been drafted yet that I'd point to before Tolkien. I mean heck -- swords and sorcery were around for a long time before he took his (admittedly great) whacks.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #905
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
In literature? Nope. I'd name at least one or two books which haven't been drafted yet that I'd point to before Tolkien. I mean heck -- swords and sorcery were around for a long time before he took his (admittedly great) whacks.

I know one of the books you are thinking of but I don't think it was expansive or as well-crafted as ME.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #906
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I know one of the books you are thinking of but I don't think it was expansive or as well-crafted as ME.

How well-crafted are you?

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #907
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

hahahahaha

Vote = ThunderingHERD
Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #908
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ok, fine. Lol.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #909
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Izulde, you're thinking elitist again. 1. Probably no child in America has heard of it. 2. They didn't make a popular movie from it. 3. It's French.

Yep. I have no clue what this is.

Quote:
I'd argue that Neuromancer is at least its equal, and more so with most techies. Most of our ideas about online culture were shaped by the novel -- I mean, heck, Gibson invented the term cyberspace with it. Dramatically important book, and one that was critically hailed as well -- Time listed it as one of the 100 most important books of the last century, for example. Changed the direction of hard science fiction and led directly to things like The Matrix.

Well, what I meant was that he implied Frankenstein was a "wtf" compared to Neuromancer being "great".

Quote:
Oh, and World of Warcraft/Second Life? Yep, all sprung in various forms from Neuromancer -- philosophically, at least.

Second Life was a direct creation based on another book that I won't mention until the draft is over. It could be said that it was inspired by Neuromancer, but it was a direct copy of a world in another book.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #910
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Izulde, you're thinking elitist again. 1. Probably no child in America has heard of it. 2. They didn't make a popular movie from it. 3. It's French.

I'm having a hard time understanding the scoring scheme here. According to this logic if this were a painters draft thomas kinkade would beat nearly everyone.

is this what books are popular (or are still popular) in our american culture?
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #911
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Second Life was a direct creation based on another book that I won't mention until the draft is over. It could be said that it was inspired by Neuromancer, but it was a direct copy of a world in another book.

I'm pretty sure I know the book to which you refer, and am absolutely certain it was influenced by Gibson's work, and in particular Neuromancer.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #912
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding the scoring scheme here. According to this logic if this were a painters draft thomas kinkade would beat nearly everyone.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it actually make a noise?

You're selecting what will make the "best team" when the voting occurs. If none (most) of the voters haven't heard of it, then, no, it's not a very good selection. How can you possibly score something well that you've never even heard of? Are you just supposed to say "Well, it's French, and people say it's good, it must be an awesome pick."?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I know the book to which you refer, and am absolutely certain it was influenced by Gibson's work, and in particular Neuromancer.

Right. But Second Life is directly and deliberately crafted after that book. That's like saying that WoW was created because of LOTR. (well, maybe a little less indirect than that )

Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #913
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Btw, Romance of the Three Kingdoms is the book I was alluding to early, which I'm sure was obvious enough in itself.

I think it's a great pick, one of the greatest pieces of literature in the history of the world, one of the most widely read and the cultural influences in the East is immeasurable.

That said, I didn't think it would go over that hot over here..it's just not that popular, which is a shame. So maybe a bad pick in a popularity contest catering to the voters here.

Great pick imo though, and a steal this late.

ditto. I know my other pick would have gone over better likely, and tbh I was equally as happy with it, but I was being stubborn. When I do my post-draft explanation of my team i'll make my case for "Romance." But really, how can you say that one of the books considered to be one of the 4 classics of chinese literature (which has a longer history than western civilization period) is not great literature? especially when you consider that it's 120 chapters and 800,000 words?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #914
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

bro, just anticipating how a sizable voting population will vote (as evidence by previous drafts). One can play this solely to make a good personal list, or to prove how many English Lit classes one has taken, or to pander to the voters. There 10 categories and 10 participants. You and I can come up with 100 great books that are both popular/recognizable and good literature. Some of the picks here are one but not the other and they, among some voters, will not score as well as those choosing both.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #915
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

okay...so i'm not up or anything?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #916
st.cronin
General Manager

I believe Axxon is up.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #917
Radii
Head Coach

Hm I'll follow bucc and sab here with my leaders in each category:

Fiction: Maple Leafs (larrymcg421 2nd)
Short Story: Chief Rum (cartman second I guess, all the rest are pretty close together to me)
Poem: Warhammer (NoMyths/larrymcg tied for 2nd)
Fantasy/Sci Fi: cartman (st cronin 2nd)
Series: Cartman (Axxon 2nd)
Sports: Warhammer (cartman 2nd)
Childrens: Maple Leafs (DaddyTorgo 2nd)
Non-Fiction: Izulde (NoMyths 2nd)
Bio/Autobio: larrymcg (NoMyths 2nd)
History: St Cronin (Maple Leafs 2nd)

there are a few categories here where I really don't think there are any bad picks, or where its really hard to blow people away with a great pick but possible to screw up w/ a bad pick. The poem category I think is a good example of this. Warhammer is an easy first in my eyes, and the great works by Dante and Milton that have held up for centuries stand out a bit, but all the picks are good quality picks and the rest aren't *that* far behind.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #918
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Fantasy/Sci-Fi stands out to me as a category in which no one has screwed up. That probably says a lot about the demographic on this - and all - internet boards
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #919
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer;1669482You and I can come up with 100 great books that are [I
both[/i] popular/recognizable and good literature. Some of the picks here are one but not the other and they, among some voters, will not score as well as those choosing both.

ok, got it. seems there is a tension here between the author who wrote about a topic very successfully and the first author who wrote well on the topic and inspired all the rest.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #920
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
ok, got it. seems there is a tension here between the author who wrote about a topic very successfully and the first author who wrote well on the topic and inspired all the rest.

But that is also up to the person who makes the list to give the reason why. That is part of the reason why I have been giving reasons for all my picks.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #921
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Huh?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #922
Axxon
Pro Starter

1. Fiction
2. Single Short Story
3. Poem - The Canterbury Tales - Jeoffrey Chaucer
4. Fantasy/Science Fiction
5. Series (A set of books continuing the same story and intended to be read sequentially)
6. Sport Related
7. Children's -
8. Non-Fiction
9. Biography/Autobiography
10. History

This classic collection of tales are fun to read and quite varied. Definitely ahead of his time and they still hold up and have been told countless times.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #923
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
1. Fiction
2. Single Short Story
5. Series (A set of books continuing the same story and intended to be read sequentially)
6. Sport Related
7. Children's -
8. Non-Fiction
10. History

This classic collection of tales are fun to read and quite varied. Definitely ahead of his time and they still hold up and have been told countless times.

This was my third choice after my first in Poetry. My second is actually still out there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #924
Axxon
Pro Starter

1. Fiction
2. Single Short Story
3. Poem
6. Sport Related
7. Children's - 8,1 Where the Sidewalk Ends - Shel Silverstein
8. Non-Fiction
10. History

Probably the best poet of our time, Shel wrote poems for both kids and adults and Where the Sidewalk Ends is one that's made for kids and equally enjoyed by adults. Everybody finds something to enjoy when reading Shel Silverstein and he certainly fits with his peers in this category.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #925
sabotai
General Manager

The Canterbury Tales was one of the poems I was thinking about earlier (the one I'd rank higher is still out there). Nice pick.

Last edited by sabotai : 02-26-2008 at 08:43 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #926
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Really? I read it when I was a kid, like maybe 7 or 8 and I know a lot of other Americans who read it when they were kids, too.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #927
Izulde
Head Coach

1. Fiction - 2.2 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
2. Single Short Story
3. Poem - 1.9 "The Waste Land" - T.S. Eliot
4. Fantasy/Science Fiction - A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin
5. Series (A set of books continuing the same story and intended to be read sequentially) - 3.9 The Musketeers Saga - The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, Le Vicomte de Bragelonne, Louise de la Valliere, The Man in the Iron Mask - Alexandre Dumas
6. Sport Related - 5.9 North Dallas Forty - Peter Gent
7. Children's - 7.9 The Little Prince - Antonie de Sainte Expury
8. Non-Fiction - 4.2 The Art of War - Sun Tzu
9. Biography/Autobiography - 6.2. Night - Elie Wiesel
10. History

There are few contemporary sci-fi or fantasy books that fall into the realm of literature, but A Game of Thrones certainly qualifies. Epic in scope, with brilliant characters and a crackling political storyline, it stands among the titans of the fantasy genre despite its relative newness.

Last edited by Izulde : 02-26-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Forgot to close the bold
Old 02-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #928
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
1. Fiction
2. Single Short Story
3. Poem
6. Sport Related
8. Non-Fiction
10. History

Probably the best poet of our time, Shel wrote poems for both kids and adults and Where the Sidewalk Ends is one that's made for kids and equally enjoyed by adults. Everybody finds something to enjoy when reading Shel Silverstein and he certainly fits with his peers in this category.

Dang it! I was going to use The Giving Tree!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #929
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
1. Fiction
2. Single Short Story
6. Sport Related
7. Children's -
8. Non-Fiction
10. History

Terrific pick. I considered this one as well.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #930
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
1. Fiction
2. Single Short Story
3. Poem
6. Sport Related
8. Non-Fiction
10. History

This is another one I considered for this category, but didn't want to overload on poetry, if that makes any sense.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #931
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
1. Fiction - 2.2 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
2. Single Short Story
3. Poem - 1.9 "The Waste Land" - T.S. Eliot
4. Fantasy/Science Fiction - A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin
5. Series (A set of books continuing the same story and intended to be read sequentially) - 3.9 The Musketeers Saga - The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, Le Vicomte de Bragelonne, Louise de la Valliere, The Man in the Iron Mask - Alexandre Dumas
6. Sport Related - 5.9 North Dallas Forty - Peter Gent
7. Children's - 7.9 The Little Prince - Antonie de Sainte Expury
8. Non-Fiction - 4.2 The Art of War - Sun Tzu
9. Biography/Autobiography - 6.2. Night - Elie Wiesel
10. History

There are few contemporary sci-fi or fantasy books that fall into the realm of literature, but A Game of Thrones certainly qualifies. Epic in scope, with brilliant characters and a crackling political storyline, it stands among the titans of the fantasy genre despite its relative newness.

Hmm, I feel that no one book from this series is a good pick, because it is a never ending story. Plot points are wrapped, but usually far more have been opened up (thus the frustration with Martin's glacial pace of writing). This would have been better as a series, but tough to take there, too, because it is incomplete.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #932
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
SO with Bucc here - and I know Children's lit pretty well living with a Kindergarten teacher who majored in reading for her Master's degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #933
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
SO with Bucc here - and I know Children's lit pretty well living with a Kindergarten teacher who majored in reading for her Master's degree.

Wait a sec...you can major in reading? Shit, I knew I missed my calling.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #934
Izulde
Head Coach

Well looks like I blew the Children's Lit pick, then. I seriously thought lots of people had read The Little Prince as kids.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #935
timmynausea
College Starter

A Song of Ice and Fire definitely would've been stronger as a series pick, and if I had to single one out, I think I would've gone for A Storm of Swords. In any case, I'm a big GRRM fan, so even with the previous complaints that pick scores big points with me.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #936
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hmm, I feel that no one book from this series is a good pick, because it is a never ending story. Plot points are wrapped, but usually far more have been opened up (thus the frustration with Martin's glacial pace of writing). This would have been better as a series, but tough to take there, too, because it is incomplete.

I was going to post the same thing before you did. This is one of very few series for me that I think is HURT by taking one book rather than the series. This isn't like Dune or Ender's game where the 1st book holds up on it's own and is dramatically better than the rest - you really can't hold up Game of Thrones as an individual work imo.

And with that being said - the Storm of Swords may have been my top choice for series with only a possible negative being that it is not done.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #937
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wait a sec...you can major in reading? Shit, I knew I missed my calling.

Hah. Reading Education to become a Reading Specialist.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #938
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Well looks like I blew the Children's Lit pick, then. I seriously thought lots of people had read The Little Prince as kids.

I'll ask her about it tomorrow and maybe she knows, but in the literally 100's of childrens' book in this house I have never seen that book.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #939
Izulde
Head Coach

Darn and here I thought they were good picks.

FWIW, when taking one book from a series, I generally take the first one by default, because it's the one that sets up the story and action... and later books may not be fully understood without the context of that first book.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #940
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

You have to stop thinking that your childhood and college years were like anyone else.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #941
st.cronin
General Manager

I've read The Little Prince, didn't think it was any good.

knives out
Old 02-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #942
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
You have to stop thinking that your childhood and college years were like anyone else.

I think that Izulde should be required to wear a wristband with this quote.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #943
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'll ask her about it tomorrow and maybe she knows, but in the literally 100's of childrens' book in this house I have never seen that book.

Same here. Must have read or was read 100+ books as a child, then into the 70s with my youngest brother and then the 90s with my son.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #944
MrDNA
High School Varsity

FYI: The Canterbury Tales can suck it.

Nice pick, tho.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #945
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I've read The Little Prince, didn't think it was any good.

I want to add to this that I don't think its as bad a pick as the vocal peanut gallery is saying.

knives out
Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 PM   #946
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
FYI: The Canterbury Tales can suck it.

Nice pick, tho.

LOL
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 PM   #947
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Probably the best poet of our time [...]

...except for not being anywhere close to it.

He is a very popular children's poet, though, that's for certain.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #948
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The little prince is OK but my #1 childrens book is still around.

Last edited by Lathum : 02-26-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #949
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The little prince is OK but my #1 childrens book is still around.

Mine is too, but objectively it may be more a personal pick vs. a great all-around pick (although certainly no slouch).

Quote:
Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #950
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Touche`!

I guess I should've gone with one of my other picks for Children's Lit, then. One in particular I really wish I'd have taken instead now, as it's one of my favorites... and now that I'm re-reading The Little Prince... it really isn't as good as I remember it.

Oh well, live and learn.