Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #901
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

It's funny how the Madden release dates never seem to get fucked up this way, but NCAA and now Head Coach bounce around more than Doug Brien. It's nuts.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #902
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

This confuses me.
Assuming all the disks are pressed more then a day in advance, what does this gain them?

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:00 PM   #903
AgustusM
College Prospect

EA makes we wish I was all encompassing king more then any other thing on earth.

If I were supreme ruler - I would force the talented programmers to create a realistic next gen NFL football sim and I would have the people responsible for delays and stupid decisions like 5 minute quarters put to death in a long painful public display.

oh, yeah and two chicks at the same time...
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #904
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Not to pick on anybody in particular here, but jbmagic touched on something that I thought about saying earlier.

All the first impressions in the world won't change the fact that the quarters are 5 minutes long. That kills the game for a lot of people, and there's no way around it (at least not without mods). Having looked over the features and such, a lot of people have made up their minds about this game. I'm having a hard time imagining anything that would get them to change their minds.

Really, what could we possibly say to make people think, "Oh, now I don't care that the quarters are only 5 minutes long!"? Anything? Anything at all?

If people report that they're seeing an average of about 125 plays per game, then the length of the quarters isn't so much of an issue.

If it's a 3 to 1 time ratio and you can fit everything that happens in a 15 minute quarter into 5 minutes, fair enough. But if you're only seeing 50 or 100 plays per game, that changes everything and it's no longer an NFL coaching sim, because you're only playing partial games. It would be like having a baseball sim with 5 inning games.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #905
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
If people report that they're seeing an average of about 125 plays per game, then the length of the quarters isn't so much of an issue.

If it's a 3 to 1 time ratio and you can fit everything that happens in a 15 minute quarter into 5 minutes, fair enough. But if you're only seeing 50 or 100 plays per game, that changes everything and it's no longer an NFL coaching sim, because you're only playing partial games. It would be like having a baseball sim with 5 inning games.

Yep. That's the million dollar question.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #906
Terps
College Prospect

I don't see how you could get a realistic amount of plays on 5 minutes. I can eat up a whole quarter in that time.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #907
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps
I don't see how you could get a realistic amount of plays on 5 minutes. I can eat up a whole quarter in that time.
The whole key is that the game was designed "apparently" for the average video gamer and it appears that he couldn't give a rat's A about the clock or clock management. I'm going into it with the attitude that the I want to just rattle off plays.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #908
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
The whole key is that the game was designed "apparently" for the average video gamer and it appears that he couldn't give a rat's A about the clock or clock management. I'm going into it with the attitude that the I want to just rattle off plays.

It's very hard for me to swallow that this is for the average video gamer. If that were the case, a number of features would have been way more streamlined to avoid most of the day to day activities.

If they are going to cut down the quarters to a third of an average NFL quarter, then the 2:00 warning should be reduced to about 40 seconds to compensate. I hope that this is the case.

If this is the case and I can still rattle out a number of plays that meet the NFL average, then I will be fine with that.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #909
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:

but like one of the previous posts - how would the "average" video gamer feel about a baseball game that only played 5 innings?
Old 06-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #910
AgustusM
College Prospect

The biggest frustration comes in the fact that IT IS SO FRIKKIN EASY to keep the quarter length adjustable - in fact that is the way it already is on the game they based in on (Madden.) So they actually had to CHANGE it so it wouldn't be adjustable.

Who was the numbnuts that suggest "hey lets force them to play a certain amount of time, instead of letting the player decide"

it is very true that you can't please everyone, but it sure is a hell of a lot easier to not piss off so many people if you give the end user the OPTION to play the game they want to.

DAMN EA is fucking stupid sometimes.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #911
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps

Have you ever actually PLAYED Madden?

Most people play with it at 6 or 7 minute quarters to get it at a realistic # of plays, so this is not that far-fetched to me.

To me this is a lot of squawking about something that just may not be THAT big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #912
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore

Most people play with it at 6 or 7 minute quarters to get it at a realistic # of plays, so this is not that far-fetched to me.

To me this is a lot of squawking about something that just may not be THAT big of a deal.

I reiterate - make the default 5 minutes, make the option to change it something I have to unlock, make it so I have to send EA 14 cans of crushed pineapple to get it adjustable - just make the damn thing adjustable

I don't care if some people like to play 5 minutes, great for them , play 1 minute quraters, 30 second quarters or whatever the hell you want. What I don't understand is the people telling me that I SHOULD like to play 5 minute quarters.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #913
TroyF
Coordinator

http://www.sportsgamer.blogspot.com/

From Bill Abner.

Biggest fear realized. . . the CPU treats the clock as though it were a 15 minute clock. It starts calling TO's and knees that ball with 1 minute left in the game.

Ugh.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #914
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

the only way I'm buying this is if it's for the PC and there's a patch already out that fixes this crap.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #915
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:

Yeah, that never gives me realistic plays. It gives me realistic offensive stats, but defensive stats and TOP are always screwy when compared to the simmed games in a league (which are simmed with 15 minute quarters). Madden is an ARCADE game, whereas Head Coach is a (well, supposed to be) a simulation. Playing it without the option of longer quarters for more realism is inexcusable and lazy on the developers part.

And, for me, it's a dealbreaker. I cancelled my pre-order this morning when I found out.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 06-20-2006 at 05:08 PM.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #916
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM
I reiterate - make the default 5 minutes, make the option to change it something I have to unlock, make it so I have to send EA 14 cans of crushed pineapple to get it adjustable - just make the damn thing adjustable

I don't care if some people like to play 5 minutes, great for them , play 1 minute quraters, 30 second quarters or whatever the hell you want. What I don't understand is the people telling me that I SHOULD like to play 5 minute quarters.

I love it when people assume things are "easy"... Quarter length I imagine effects many things...

*shrug*... this game may be a piece of crap, i wouldn't doubt it.. but to be hanging the fate of this game on quarter length seems quite a bit silly to me, especially knowing it is a first-gen game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #917
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
http://www.sportsgamer.blogspot.com/

From Bill Abner.

Biggest fear realized. . . the CPU treats the clock as though it were a 15 minute clock. It starts calling TO's and knees that ball with 1 minute left in the game.

Ugh.

Not cool.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:13 PM   #918
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
I love it when people assume things are "easy"... Quarter length I imagine effects many things...

*shrug*... this game may be a piece of crap, i wouldn't doubt it.. but to be hanging the fate of this game on quarter length seems quite a bit silly to me, especially knowing it is a first-gen game.

90% of this game is simply Madden with a few things added and a few things taken out.

If quarter length is adjustable in Madden, exactly how would it be "hard" to have it be adjustable here.

quarter length IS a huge issue - would it bother you if the quarter length was set at 5 seconds, 29 hours? Obviously the length of the quarter impacts EVERYTHING in the game from stats to progression - there are few things that are in the game that are so centrally important.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #919
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Bill Abner Review

Quote:
Head Coach Pt 2

It would seem that the games are in fact set to 5 min. quarters w/o the ability to change it. This was my experience with playing an Exhibition game between the Browns and 49ers. Maybe you can change it when starting youir "career" but a default game is set in stone at 5 mins...which eternally sucks. Why not allow the 15 min accelerated clock? It's a COACHING GAME!

Anyway, my first impression was watching Alex Smith run an 80 yard TD scramble on the first play of the game. After that, it honestly felt like I was playing Madden 2005 in coach mode but with the ability to "motivate" my players by giving pep talks. The game engine is pure Madden. No doubt. Is that good or bad? Well I'll leave that up to you. For a coach game I'd like to have a better interface but remember this game was designed for the consoles so we're stuck with a console interface. Now, I'd like to meet the guy that wants to play a coaching/sim game on the Xbox over playing it on the PC, but that's neither here nor there. It is what it is.

There's a lot of "stuff" involved in creating your coach and accepting a position as head coach. There really is a lot of info here -- and yet I can't play a 15 minute quarter game. I really, really, don't get that at all. And, just like Madden's AI, it sees 1:00 left in the half/game as if it were a REAL 1:00 when of course it is not. In Madden, 1:00 to play (hell it's 1/5 of a quarter, so it's basically like having 3 mins to play) is an eternity and yet the AI takes a knee on its own 20 with 1:00 until halftime. Of course I call three fast timeouts and get the ball in great field position with :47 secs to play. Nice.

Anyway, my first impression is pretty much what I expected it to be. Granted, it's a first impressiom but I think anyone that expected Front Office Football with graphics, well, you're a dolt to think that in the first place.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #920
Adamski47
High School JV

Can' adjust quarter length and the CPU still manages the clock like a 60 minute game? I just canceled my preorder, thanks!
Adamski47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #921
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Has anybody confirmed whether the quarter length is frozen in career mode?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #922
rexallllsc
Banned

The 5 minute thing is a gamekiller for me personally. Like others have said, why even build a running offense at all? Yikes.

I'm not the type to run 15 or even 10 minute quarters, either. Usually 7 or 8.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #923
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:

Thing is, average video game player doesn't care about negotiating with Asst. coaches or scouting players, etc., so while I agree that they don't care, I think EA screwed up, because I don't think average video game player will be buying this game.

Whoever mentioned the thing about 2 completely diff. markets was right, imo.

Last edited by rexallllsc : 06-20-2006 at 06:37 PM.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #924
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just got the automated call from Gamestop that my copy will be ready to pick up tomorrow morning. I'm still looking forward to it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #925
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Now, I'd like to meet the guy that wants to play a coaching/sim game on the Xbox over playing it on the PC

Ooooh. Is he saying what I think he is saying?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #926
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I just got the automated call from Gamestop that my copy will be ready to pick up tomorrow morning. I'm still looking forward to it.
Likewise.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #927
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
and yet the AI takes a knee on its own 20 with 1:00 until halftime. Of course I call three fast timeouts and get the ball in great field position with :47 secs to play. Nice.

Well, I just found my game killer....not that I was impressed with the demo in the least bit to begin with.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:24 PM   #928
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Well, I just found my game killer....not that I was impressed with the demo in the least bit to begin with.

Agreed. I didn't care for the interface at all, and there was far too many money plays in the short demo.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:27 PM   #929
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, if they have the right amount of plays in a 5 minute game, it seems like all they would have to do is add the accelerated clock and the game could easily play realistically over 15 minutes. In the demo you could run maybe 5-6 plays in a minute, no reason that there couldn't be 20-30 seconds between snaps, where you'd still get around 30 plays a quarter.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #930
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Concur....
Old 06-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #931
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yes, and with 2 minutes left in a half, the computer goes into a hurry-up offense, the human goes into a hurry-up offense and there are 4-5 TDs scored. Nice model to use.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:34 PM   #932
Groundhog
Coordinator

I play Madden with 12 min quarters and an accelerated clock. I use slider settings I found at maddennation, and I get realistic results. My team averages about 20 points a game. I just coach and don't control it however, but with the way the cpu plays it's certainly realistic enough to keep me happy.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #933
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I guess we don't need to worry about fatigue with 5 mins quarters.

You won't have to sub much.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #934
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
I play Madden with 12 min quarters and an accelerated clock. I use slider settings I found at maddennation, and I get realistic results. My team averages about 20 points a game. I just coach and don't control it however, but with the way the cpu plays it's certainly realistic enough to keep me happy.

yeah, but do you get to chose what color socks your head coach wears during practice? You're missing out on the important things in football by focusing on all that playcalling mumbo jumbo.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #935
FBPro
College Starter

Taken from EA forums:

Hey gang.

All indications that I can see over here at EA are that this product is going to be available for download at 12:00 AM (midnight) on 6/23/06. That's roughly 5:00PM California time on Thursday. This could change though. I can add that we are busting tail over here trying to get it out in the best state possible. Also, there looks like there will be a Day 1 patch for the retail version. The downloader version will not need this patch that really only comes into play with multiplayer online.

We'll keep you posted and please accept my apologies about the delay!

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread....threadID=80236

I just found this so I don't know what is included in the patch but I'm gonna see if I can find out.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #936
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Taken from EA forums:

Hey gang.

All indications that I can see over here at EA are that this product is going to be available for download at 12:00 AM (midnight) on 6/23/06. That's roughly 5:00PM California time on Thursday. This could change though. I can add that we are busting tail over here trying to get it out in the best state possible. Also, there looks like there will be a Day 1 patch for the retail version. The downloader version will not need this patch that really only comes into play with multiplayer online.

We'll keep you posted and please accept my apologies about the delay!

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread....threadID=80236

I just found this so I don't know what is included in the patch but I'm gonna see if I can find out.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&postcount=892
Old 06-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #937
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It sounds like the patch will probably just be some MP issues. However, the quick patch gives me hope that they might address other issues (such as the Quarter Length and if there are too many interceptions) in a future patch.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #938
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
It sounds like the patch will probably just be some MP issues. However, the quick patch gives me hope that they might address other issues (such as the Quarter Length and if there are too many interceptions) in a future patch.

I doubt it. The quarter length isn't a bug, it's a "feature". And EA aren't exactly known for releasing patches to fix issues like this.

Don't worry, I'm sure 1 or 2 of them will be fixed in next year's version - along with the addition of a few more.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #939
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
I doubt it. The quarter length isn't a bug, it's a "feature". And EA aren't exactly known for releasing patches to fix issues like this.

Don't worry, I'm sure 1 or 2 of them will be fixed in next year's version - along with the addition of a few more.

that's E.A.'s MO...do this to ensure that people keep on buying. always release a game with at least one stupid feature/feature that doesn't work right that you can subsequently fix in order to get people to buy the next gen.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:52 PM   #940
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

::blink:: So was I the only guinea pig to pick it up for the console today?

Not sure I can give too many impressions because...I haven't played a game yet. Haven't even hit the combine for 2006. Of course, I only played for three HOURS.

So far, I like the idea of setting up coaching interviews and being able to ask candidates questions about their philosophies. I've participated in a couple staff meetings and noticed that a major component of the game is going to be building a cohesive staff. you earn trust with each coach based on whether you agree with their recommendations or not, so I can see that part of developing a winning team is going to be knowing when to give up control. If you hire a guy who likes to go five wide on the offense and make him run a lot of two-TE sets, your receiving corps isn't going to play up to their potential because your receivers coach isn't buying into the power running offense.

The staff handling extends to the scoring system for career mode. In addition to championships, playoff wins, and regular season record, one of the catagories your coach is judged over the ages on is his ability to develop coaches. If your coordinator is hired away to take the reins of another team, his accomplishments earn you reflected glory. That's a pretty cool idea that you haven't really seen in other sims.

The biggest problem so far is that I haven't played a game yet...in fact, at the three hour mark, I haven't even begun signing free agents yet. I know that a huge part of this is exploring the menus and learning the interface, but at this rate, the actual 2006 season will be in the books by the time I get to the season opener.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:07 AM   #941
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I read impressions on another board where a guy spent 6 hours before he got to the 1st pre-season game. He said he enjoyed the offseason activities though, so that is good.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:08 AM   #942
braggtd
n00b

Dangit man! LOL, the first season you skim through so I can decide if I want to buy! J/K Thanks for the brief review. I am affraid that I will be putting it off for a few days to see what you big $$$ guys think. I am curious about this 5 min thing? Is it official or just on the demo. Sorry, I haven't read all the way up yet. Thanks again for the review!
braggtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:20 AM   #943
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

The options screen consists of pretty much choosing how loud you want the music, what angle you want to watch games at, and what unis you want the team to wear. As little as I've gotten to play so far, I don't see any sliders or gameplay options.

Last edited by Shkspr : 06-21-2006 at 12:20 AM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:24 AM   #944
braggtd
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr
The options screen consists of pretty much choosing how loud you want the music, what angle you want to watch games at, and what unis you want the team to wear. As little as I've gotten to play so far, I don't see any sliders or gameplay options.

Ouch, that sucks. Man, I really want this game but? FM2006 should hold me over until after the world cup. Then maybe I will try out bowl bound. Who knows. I really need a new FOF though. I will probably break down and buy Head Coach anyways. Thanks again for the posts!
braggtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #945
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just got home from the store with the game. Early impressions to follow in a few hours.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-21-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:50 AM   #946
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just got home from the store with the game. Early impressions to follow in a few hours.
Godspeed...
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #947
dbd1963
High School JV

I just found it sitting in my local Gamestop, and against my better judgment, I bought it. And the guide. :|
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:20 PM   #948
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Great.

I expect a more objective report from you then what I see on maddennation.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #949
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I got the game yesterday. Decent, but the 5:00 is a real game killer.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #950
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
I got the game yesterday. Decent, but the 5:00 is a real game killer.

Getting realistic results?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote