Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #901
Swaggs
Coordinator

I could see Kansas going on a decent run in the tourney.

I think Mizzou is used to out-hustling and out-working other teams, but will have trouble winning in the postseason when everyone turns it up a notch. Anderson is a good coach and has the team well-conditioned and hustling, but probably doesn't quite have the talent yet.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #902
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We need a big guy.. but I think you're wrong about the tourney run. If we shoot like this, yes we'll be one and out.. but I know we are much better than this showing thus far.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #903
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Easily the prettiest 1st half by us this season. Man, that was one hell of a showing

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #904
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

fck me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn I hate fckin Kansas... totally beating our ass today.. damn you too SI!!!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #905
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Dang it. Channelsurfing just kicked me out to the SEC

SI

Old 03-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #906
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

KU still up by 20, SI. Mizzou on a 10-2 run, but whippe doo~
Old 03-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #907
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Just a quick break from the MU-KU commentary.

Just wanted to say, if anyone missed the Cal-UCLA game on ESPN last night, Darren Collison really showed what level of player he is and can be in that game. He was amazing. UCLA's going to miss him big time next year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #908
MJ4H
Coordinator

Two awful SEC teams, but Arkansas honored the 1994 national championship team complete with welcoming the entire team and coaches (minus Mike Anderson obv) for a halftime ceremony. The pregame was watching the entire 94 championship game on the jumbo. Game is about to start and the place is packed and going nuts for the two SEC teams with the worst record. Bizarre scene, but a lot of nostalgia.

Also, welcome back Nolan.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #909
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well, that was quite a butt whoopin we took there.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #910
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Well, that was quite a butt whoopin we took there.

Yeah, it was pretty frustrating to see that many wide open shots missed in the first half, but I can't say I expected Mizzou to win at the Bench Barn.

Perspective is always needed at times like this. Mizzou is 24-5, has a first round bye, will be a 4-5 seed in the NCAA tourney, and has a chance to play for 2nd place at home on Senior night. If you would have given me that scenario before the season started, I would have admitted you to an asylum.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #911
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Darren Collison really showed what level of player he is and can be in that game. He was amazing. UCLA's going to miss him big time next year.
Collison is a fantastic penetrator, and he can really take over a game if/when he wants to.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #912
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
Collison is a fantastic penetrator, and he can really take over a game if/when he wants to.

If there's a player that palms/carries the ball more in college basketball than Collison, I'd love to hear who it is. It's easy to see why he can beat people on the dribble.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #913
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yeah, it was pretty frustrating to see that many wide open shots missed in the first half, but I can't say I expected Mizzou to win at the Bench Barn.

Perspective is always needed at times like this. Mizzou is 24-5, has a first round bye, will be a 4-5 seed in the NCAA tourney, and has a chance to play for 2nd place at home on Senior night. If you would have given me that scenario before the season started, I would have admitted you to an asylum.

I'm with you there. Frank Cusamano on channel 5 said last night he was at the game and although he's never been to a Duke home game, that was the most intimidating place to play he's ever been to.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #914
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm with you there. Frank Cusamano on channel 5 said last night he was at the game and although he's never been to a Duke home game, that was the most intimidating place to play he's ever been to.

I spoke to several people who went to the game that had been to previous MU/KU games at Allen. They said the crowd yesterday was at a whole new level. Amazing what happens to that crowd when Mizzou actually brings a good team to town.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #915
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Nothing quite like a good ol' woodshed beatdown of your arch nemesis to start the week off right. Rock Chalk! Jayhawk! KU!

I do have to send a nice big "f*ck you" to CBS though. Unless you were in one of the local markets for the game, it looks like they switched you over to the Tennessee/Florida game halfway through the 2nd half. I was so pissed, I turned my TV off in disgust, so I don't know if they took us back to Lawrence, but I doubt it.

CBS does this all the time during the tournament too. When I see Gumbel's ugly mug on my TV screen, I know I can kiss whatever game I was just watching goodbye.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #916
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
CBS does this all the time during the tournament too. When I see Gumbel's ugly mug on my TV screen, I know I can kiss whatever game I was just watching goodbye.

FWIW.....I have Time Warner Cable and they have 4 HD channels during tournament time that show all 4 of the games that are being played. So I can just switch to whichever feed I want to watch without worry about being switched to a different game.

Also, the internet feeds are available and allow for viewing of all games without any cut-aways.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #917
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
Good luck, should be a great game. We are playing our best ball of the year, with consecutive wins over UCLA, Arizona, and ASU. I still have to give the nod to the Dawgs, though.
This game scares me a lot more than it did a few weeks ago - looks like Bennett's crew has really come together in the latter half of the season. I'd give the edge to the Dawgs too since they're at home, but it's going to be a battle.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #918
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Well crap. Just mentioned in KC on the radio that the flu bug is going through the Mizzou team right now. Several of the players are sick. That certainly explains the energy level yesterday (or lack thereof). I still think we would have lost yesterday even if we were healthy, but this probably didn't help. Better now than later when we're in tourney play.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #919
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I spoke to several people who went to the game that had been to previous MU/KU games at Allen. They said the crowd yesterday was at a whole new level. Amazing what happens to that crowd when Mizzou actually brings a good team to town.

DK, they did switch back to the game ..

MBBF,

I heard they turned away 1500 fans that wanted to buy tickets for the game..
Old 03-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #920
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
DK, they did switch back to the game ..

MBBF,

I heard they turned away 1500 fans that wanted to buy tickets for the game..

On the feed on channelsurfing, they never changed back. Got to see the second half of that SEC suckfest

SI

Old 03-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #921
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
On the feed on channelsurfing, they never changed back. Got to see the second half of that SEC suckfest

SI

ever try sportsonpc?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #922
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nope, but I hadn't tried channelsurfing until about 10 minutes before tipoff, when I realized some brain surgeon working for CBS thought regional SEC coverage was a good idea over KU-MU

SI

Old 03-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #923
sooner333
College Starter

Looking forward to OU-Mizzou for second place in the conference. I won't forget the hatred toward Eduardo Najera in the Hearnes Center.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #924
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I won't forget my hatred for OU.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #925
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
I won't forget my hatred for OU.

Haha, maybe it's a one sided rivalry or maybe it's just that I didn't live in Oklahoma in the Big 8 days so I just don't know about it...but I don't really share the hatred for Mizzou. Is it because we beat you in the Elite Eight that year? I liked that MIzzou team (And even picked them to the Elite Eight that year because I knew Cincy would lose and I thought you could beat UCLA in the Sweet Sixteen). They were talented and should have been higher than a 12 seed--Quinn Snyder sucked.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #926
Groundhog
Coordinator

I remember reading about Lester Hudson last year, but I don't remember him getting the only quadruple-double in division 1 history:

Rivals.com College Basketball - Hudson making most of decision to stay in school

Wonder what his chances are of making the NBA. Draftexpress has him going late 2nd round. He's played against two top-level teams this season in Tennessee and USC, and struggled with his shot in both games. An intriguing talent though, I'd like my team to take a flyer on him in the 2nd round.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #927
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm so distracted right now. I can't wait to head down to Columbia for the game tonight. Top 5 team coming into a sold-out Mizzou Arena on Senior Night. It's going to be absolute mayhem. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #928
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Will UGA really offer Jeff Capel $2m a year?
Report: Georgia willing to offer $2 million to Oklahoma basketball coach | Athens Banner-Herald
Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #929
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Possibly. I know you don't want to get into a bidding war with Georgia. HOpefully OU can give Capel a raise and sell him on the classes he's bringing in and the overall better basketball tradition than Georgia. I think he'll stay just because if he wants a top 5 job, it's been proven you can do that from Oklahoma (of course, Tubby did it too at Georgia).
Old 03-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #930
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Capel's certainly in line for a raise after the season they've had, assuming they don't fall on their face in the big dance. I would think that a raise, combined with proximity to the juicy recruiting bucket that is Texas would keep him in Oklahoma rather than having him jump ship to Georgia. (And yes, I realize Georgia is close to the basketball mecca that is the state of North Carolina, but it seems like UNC, Duke, and others have pretty much got the entire state on lock-down.)
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #931
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

dear lord. A former Duke basketball player coaching U(sic)GA?? Espicially *this* former Duke basketball player. I think he would immediately become the Antichrist to me.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #932
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Haha, maybe it's a one sided rivalry or maybe it's just that I didn't live in Oklahoma in the Big 8 days so I just don't know about it...but I don't really share the hatred for Mizzou. Is it because we beat you in the Elite Eight that year? I liked that MIzzou team (And even picked them to the Elite Eight that year because I knew Cincy would lose and I thought you could beat UCLA in the Sweet Sixteen). They were talented and should have been higher than a 12 seed--Quinn Snyder sucked.

That was part of it.. I'm a huge football fan though and when it comes to football, I dislike OU more than KU.

Mizzou is battling tonight though!!!

The Griffin's are fun to watch though.. wow...
Old 03-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #933
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Capel rumors are pretty interesting. I am guessing that Capel and Johnny Dawkins are currently options 1a and 1b for Duke if/when Coach K. ever retires. Leaving Oklahoma, in their current basketball "health," for Georgia would be a pretty big risk. Capel is a pretty young guy (33 years old), so he would probably be better off trying to maintain the high level that Oklahoma is currently at, rather than risking his promising career to rebuild Georgia.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #934
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We are not looking good tonight at Texas Tech (refs not doing us any favors, but still, no excuse)

Mizzou looking quite good at Oklahoma

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-04-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #935
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile Georgia beats Kentucky in Lexington 90-85 and Tech beats Miami behind a career high 30 points from Lewis Clinch on Senior Night.

Jackets & Dogs both win conference games? On the same night? I expect tomorrow's headlines to include something about human sacrifice, cats & dogs living together and other types of mass hysteria.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-04-2009 at 10:14 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #936
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
We are not looking good tonight at Texas Tech (refs not doing us any favors, but still, no excuse)

Mizzou looking quite good at Oklahoma

SI

I forget if you guys get Texas at home or at Texas. But here's hoping for a share of the big 12 title for the Tigers. (And then watch as KU gets a 2 seed and we get like a 5)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #937
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My god, this game is being awfully officiated. 2 T's already for KU. Tons of fouls being called away from the ball.

SI

Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #938
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And now a player fouled out for Tech on a bullcrap foul, defending a free throw

But KU can't play tight defense to try and draw close because everything is a touch foul.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-04-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #939
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Meanwhile Georgia beats Kentucky in Lexington 90-85 and Tech beats Miami behind a career high 30 points from Lewis Clinch on Senior Night.

Jackets & Dogs both win conference games? On the same night? I expect tomorrow's headlines to include something about human sacrifice, cats & dogs living together and other types of mass hysteria.

Great. Next thing you'll tell me is that there's a giant marshmallow man lumbering his way through Manhattan.

At any rate, kind of a weird night in the ACC tonight. I still don't know how in the world Lunardi, et al, think Miami or Va Tech's in the tournament at this point. As I noted upthread somewhere, I'd be surprised if the league got more than six teams in at this point with five definites in UNC, Duke, Wake, Clemson, and FSU. BC ought to be the sixth team, but then they seem to be in one-step-forward-one-step-back mode right now as they lost tonight to NC State in Raleigh.

Both Miami and VT lost tonight (and in Miami's case, lost badly at the worst possible time to entirely the wrong team), so I have a hard time picturing those teams in, especially if Miami gets beat by State this weekend (giving State a season sweep and a higher position in the final ACC standings). The Hokies may yet finish 8-8, but there just isn't a lot of meat to their record. Yes, there's the Wake win, but they blew a lot of other chances to get more fodder including tonight's game against UNC. I just can't see them getting in with their resume' at the moment. I also still can't really get behind Maryland, even with their wins over MSU and UNC. If any of those three teams do get in based on their current body of work, then it's truly a wretched set of bubble teams they're being measured against (and given the truly spectacular weakness of the SEC and the mid-majors this year, this could very well be true).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #940
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's just not going to happen for us. Crappy loss at Texas Tech for Kansas. Ugh. We're down 12 with 2 and change to go...

SI

Old 03-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #941
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Memphis wins its 57th conference game in a row on the road at Houston.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #942
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
As I noted upthread somewhere, I'd be surprised if the league got more than six teams in at this point with five definites in UNC, Duke, Wake, Clemson, and FSU. BC ought to be the sixth team

Yeah, I'm still with you here. I don't understand how its possible that the ACC gets 8 teams in. heck, in the game tonight against Virginia Tech they were talking about how Va Tech is #59 in the RPI, but that they deserve to be in. In what world does a 12 loss team that finishes 8-8(at best) in conference play with the #59 RPI have a chance in hell at making it in? Wins at clemson, at wake, and at Miami are nice but they've lost 5 of their last 6, I don't care how hard the schedule has been... and it has been pretty hard to be sure, they've still lost 5 of their last 6 with a road game at FSU coming up.

Eh, we'll see. Let enough of these teams in and maybe one makes a sweet 16 run, go ACC, huh? :P
Old 03-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #943
Radii
Head Coach

Also, Miami is out after tonight, no question about it IMO. There are only 3 teams in the ACC with zero chance of making the tournament. Miami has now lost to two of them, without doing anywhere close to well enough against the rest of the league to justify those losses.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #944
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Memphis wins its 57th conference game in a row on the road at Houston.

Gawd, their conference sucks.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #945
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That was an incredible game. Hope you had a great time MBBF!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #946
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
That was an incredible game. Hope you had a great time MBBF!

Incredible atmosphere. It was an absolute blast. REALLY emotional Senior Night ceremony before the game just set the place on fire. Demarre was extremely emotional.

Mizzou is the only team in conference play to beat OU with a healthy Blake Griffin. I still have no clue what Capel was thinking playing Blake Griffin for 39 minutes. He was useless the last 5 minutes of the game when OU needed him mostly due to fatigue. I realize they have a short bench, but playing your star player for 39 minutes against Mizzou is coaching suicide. It just won't work.

In related news, we have a game update.........

Voskul just hit another three pointer in Lubbock.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-05-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #947
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

They're not the only SEC team throwing around the cash. Alabama is offering similar money to try to get Mike Anderson to coach that squad. I'm sure that Coach Anderson will play it up to get a fat contract extension with Mizzou.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #948
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In related news, we have a game update.........

Voskul just hit another three pointer in Lubbock.

Aw, you're so cute, MBBF. Always a bad winner and bad loser.

SI

Old 03-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #949
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Aw, you're so cute, MBBF. Always a bad winner and bad loser.

SI

Lew Perkins called MU a 'second-rate school' after KU lost to Mizzou. With an AD who carries himself with such class after losing, it's hard to second guess just how great KU is............
Old 03-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #950
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

For those that didn't watch the game last night, the Antlers were in fine form. They held up a 6 foot photocopied picture when Blake Griffin went to the free throw line......

Mizzou Arena: Not A Fun Place To Play

The amusing part was that Blake Griffin bricked both of his free throws on that trip BADLY. Ushers came in and took the sign shortly thereafter.