Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #901
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I guess not even the Pats have the secret sauce to keep the Bennett brothers in line. I'm not sure why people keep giving them jobs, but I'm sure the iron fist of Jason Garrett can handle Michael

Sources -- Patriots trade DE Michael Bennett to Cowboys

Quote:
The Dallas Cowboys have acquired veteran defensive end Michael Bennett from the New England Patriots, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Thursday. The Patriots will receive a 2021 seventh-round pick that could eventually improve to a sixth-round pick if conditions are met, sources told ESPN.

Bennett, who turns 34 on Nov. 13, was suspended by the Patriots for last week's game for conduct detrimental to the team following a disagreement with defensive line coach Bret Bielema, which sources said occurred in front of other players.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #902
Kodos
Resident Alien

Bret Bielema -- yet another reason to root against the Patriots!
Old 10-25-2019, 08:36 PM   #903
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I guess not even the Pats have the secret sauce to keep the Bennett brothers in line. I'm not sure why people keep giving them jobs, but I'm sure the iron fist of Jason Garrett can handle Michael

Sources -- Patriots trade DE Michael Bennett to Cowboys
Ehh, he was mad about his greatly reduced playing time when we switched (back) to more of a 3-4 base up front, and Chase Winovich exceeded expectations as a situational edge rusher. If he was a much bigger part of our plans I think he would've been playing next week (and, well, not had the argument over only getting like 10 snaps per game.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #904
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Whoever mentioned the Bears are John Shoop level of bad on offense is right. God this is painful to watch.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #905
Jas_lov
College Starter

I knew that Bears kicker would miss the kick when they settled for a 41 yarder. Plenty of time to move it closer. That coach should be fired tomorrow.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #906
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I have no idea if the Colts are good or not.

Vinitieri misses an XP and a 40-something yard field goal but hits 2 from over 50 including one with 22 seconds left.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:17 PM   #907
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I knew that Bears kicker would miss the kick when they settled for a 41 yarder. Plenty of time to move it closer. That coach should be fired tomorrow.

The McCaskeys would just make sure someone worse is hired.

This has become the accepted way for bears football. Play 90s football on offense and hope the defense gives you a 3-4 year window each decade for the playoffs.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #908
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I have no idea if the Colts are good or not.

Vinitieri misses an XP and a 40-something yard field goal but hits 2 from over 50 including one with 22 seconds left.

I think Brissett is legit. Didn’t have the best day but some great plays on the last drive to give them a chance. For a supposed career backup he’s got some great poise.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:32 PM   #909
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I think Brissett is legit. Didn’t have the best day but some great plays on the last drive to give them a chance. For a supposed career backup he’s got some great poise.

He's been a decent starter but being 24th in team passing yards isn't anything to brag about.

The Colts are 5-2 but every game has been by 7 points or less. The team could easily be 7-0 (imagine if Luck was playing) or 0-7.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #910
molson
General Manager

Ewing theory is real.

I don't think the Colts are 5-2 with with Luck.

That's completely speculative if course, but, I believe it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:03 PM   #911
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ewing theory is real.

I don't think the Colts are 5-2 with with Luck.

That's completely speculative if course, but, I believe it.

They have been doing it with luck instead of Luck...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #912
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Has something changes with Romo this season? I used to like him as a commentator but something seems annoying about him this season.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #913
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Browns imploding in front of everyone. Cue the ODB tantrum watch...
Old 10-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #914
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Browns are playing the most Browns like game I have seen in a long time.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #915
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
They have been doing it with luck instead of Luck...

Yes, but they didn't have much luck with Luck. And wouldn't this year either, I'd guess.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #916
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
He's been a decent starter but being 24th in team passing yards isn't anything to brag about.

The Colts are 5-2 but every game has been by 7 points or less. The team could easily be 7-0 (imagine if Luck was playing) or 0-7.

He’s leading the league in TD%, top 10 in QB rating and mid tier in adjusted yards/attempt though, which is absolutely gold from a guy who was considered a backup heading into the year. Looking at those stats you’d have to say at least some of it is the scheme.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #917
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I fully admit I'm incapable of being unbiased here and my view is jaded...but from neutral observers ...am I crazy to think Watson is at worst belonging in the conversation and possibly clearly the front runner for league MVP so fsr?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:47 PM   #918
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I fully admit I'm incapable of being unbiased here and my view is jaded...but from neutral observers ...am I crazy to think Watson is at worst belonging in the conversation and possibly clearly the front runner for league MVP so fsr?

Heh. I'm almost hoping he does win. Just because that means.

Mahomes...MVP.
Watson...MVP.

Trubisky...yeah.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #919
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Getting harder and harder not to be excited about this 49ers team.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #920
Edward64
Head Coach

Woohoo, the Falcons are in the running to get a Top 5 pick next year.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:10 PM   #921
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Woohoo, the Falcons are in the running to get a Top 5 pick next year.

Spoken like a true Browns fan
Old 10-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #922
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Spoken like a true Browns fan

I would have guessed a Browns fan would be excited to not have a top 5 pick.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #923
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

In the conversation yes... clearly the front runner is a massive overstatement, I'd have Wilson and Mahomes ahead of him (even with Mahomes getting knocked for the game he's missing right now). Other than completion percentage, every one of his other stats are a step below, and give me YPA over completion % every time.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #924
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

For the record, I'm meh on the decision to play for the field goal there. Your kicker should be able to make a 41 yarder and Trubisky has made a career out of taking sacks in situations like that.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:45 PM   #925
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Refs missed a pretty blatant block on the back on that long Aaron Jones touchdown I just noticed. I guess that might explain why he was almost untouched.

The left tackle on the outside backer. Not vicious but certainly a block in the back. Announcers probably have to be on their best behavior during Packer games going forward after the Lions game fiasco.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-27-2019 at 10:50 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:57 PM   #926
molson
General Manager

Love to watch Flacco complain that everyone else is the problem.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:25 PM   #927
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Refs missed a pretty blatant block on the back on that long Aaron Jones touchdown I just noticed. I guess that might explain why he was almost untouched.

The left tackle on the outside backer. Not vicious but certainly a block in the back. Announcers probably have to be on their best behavior during Packer games going forward after the Lions game fiasco.

On the flipside, that illegal hands to the face away from the play that gave the Chiefs the shot at their last TD was incredibly weak sauce, the WR ducked his face into the jam that the defender was putting on so, shrug. Packers deserved to win the game.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:39 PM   #928
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

He really is the biggest whiner in the league. Lost so much respect for him last year complaining that he shouldn't have to share the offense with Lamar Jackson when he was terrible, nice to see his delusion has followed him to Denver.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:01 AM   #929
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
On the flipside, that illegal hands to the face away from the play that gave the Chiefs the shot at their last TD was incredibly weak sauce, the WR ducked his face into the jam that the defender was putting on so, shrug. Packers deserved to win the game.

Equal First downs, Equal Yards per play.... The only difference was the yards from the packers running them plays on the final drive. Pretty much an evenly played game where a missed call on 67 yard TD can decide a game

Rogers was more likely to pull out a late win so it more than likely didnt change the outcome but........ these Packers are catching a lot of breaks this year. The latest of which Mahomes has to sit out a home game against them.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-28-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:26 AM   #930
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Flacco is terrible no doubt but I think he has a point on this. NFL teams play so passively at the end of games. They had a 50+ percent chance of winning the game on 3rd and 5 without having to punt by throwing the ball. With 2 minutes left and just needing to get into field goal range and the defense going full passive mode the odds are pretty good of the team getting into field goal range.

Most coaches play it out the same way so its not exactly unusual just feels like an outdated strategy in 2019 with how good passing offenses have become.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-28-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:54 AM   #931
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Flacco is terrible no doubt but I think he has a point on this. NFL teams play so passively at the end of games. They had a 50+ percent chance of winning the game on 3rd and 5 without having to punt by throwing the ball. With 2 minutes left and just needing to get into field goal range and the defense going full passive mode the odds are pretty good of the team getting into field goal range.

Most coaches play it out the same way so its not exactly unusual just feels like an outdated strategy in 2019 with how good passing offenses have become.

But I wonder how it impacts those stats if Flacco is your QB.

If they threw on 3rd and 5 and Flacco stops the clock with an incompletion, or fumbled like he would a few minutes later, we'd probably all be wondering why couldn't Denver just trust their defense at that point. I saw a Bronco fan point out that they tried to throw with Flacco on 3rd and 4 at the end of the first half and he couldn't find an open Sutton and just kind of sputtered into the ground instead. I can understand not having any confidence in him to get 5 yards v. the risk of giving the Colts a short field.

Though I can't argue that that strongly. Probably better to throw even with Flacco. I just can't get over his lack of awareness. They've put up 20 points the last two weeks combined. Maybe he has something to do with that.

Last edited by molson : 10-28-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:18 AM   #932
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But I wonder how it impacts those stats if Flacco is your QB.

If they threw on 3rd and 5 and Flacco stops the clock with an incompletion, or fumbled like he would a few minutes later, we'd probably all be wondering why couldn't Denver just trust their defense at that point. I saw a Bronco fan point out that they tried to throw with Flacco on 3rd and 4 at the end of the first half and he couldn't find an open Sutton and just kind of sputtered into the ground instead. I can understand not having any confidence in him to get 5 yards v. the risk of giving the Colts a short field.

Though I can't argue that that strongly. Probably better to throw even with Flacco. I just can't get over his lack of awareness. They've put up 20 points the last two weeks combined. Maybe he has something to do with that.

All very valid points. My statement was more of an in general end of game strategy by your typical NFL head coach rather than that specific game. With the Broncos playing tremendous defense and Flacco being the QB the odds were probably more close to 50/50 than most scenarios in what was the right strategic decision.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:31 AM   #933
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I mean maybe don't have a sack rate in the top 3 and an INT rate that isn't great either and then your coach might have more trust in you to make 5 yards with the game on the line maybe?

All he's done is get a massive contract, be consistently mediocre or worse, then bitch when his team drafts a developmental QB late in the first round, been a dick to him in training camp, bitch even more when the team tries to put in some innovative 2 QB sets to win some games (while putting up a losing record and being one of the worst full time starters in the league), and then sees said late round QB turn around take the same team to an 11-2 record while playing better than he has in years.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #934
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cards trade for Miami RB Kenyon Drake after their #1, 2, and maybe #3 RB may be too injured to play Thursday against the Niners.

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-28-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #935
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Equal First downs, Equal Yards per play.... The only difference was the yards from the packers running them plays on the final drive. Pretty much an evenly played game where a missed call on 67 yard TD can decide a game
Here's the play:
Packers RB Aaron Jones goes down sideline for 67-yard TD catch

It looks like the LB stumbles when trying to change direction and falls right as Bakhtiari puts his arm out. It certainly could have been called, but I don't think it made much of an impact as the time the block happens was after Jones had gotten past him. I'm guessing plays like this happen 3-4 times a game and it's a roulette whether it is called. My preference would be if the block is questionable and doesn't play a part in the outcome to let it go.

Quote:
Rogers was more likely to pull out a late win so it more than likely didn't change the outcome but........ these Packers are catching a lot of breaks this year. The latest of which Mahomes has to sit out a home game against them.
The Packers have had their share of injuries too (including half the defense in the Eagles game and losing Adams for most of the season so far). Still, getting a few breaks is usually what you need to start 7-1 including road wins against Chicago, Dallas and KC. But outside of the Detroit finish, I don't think they've blatantly gotten more calls than the other good teams (SF, NE, ..). You could also argue this team could be undefeated if the refs call the PI on that last play of Eagles game (when the replay showed the defender got their early). But, these things even out (ie, Detroit).
Old 10-28-2019, 03:58 PM   #936
Atocep
Coordinator

Why are the giants giving up a 3rd and 5th for someone that's going to be a free agent in 8 games?
Old 10-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #937
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Why are the giants giving up a 3rd and 5th for someone that's going to be a free agent in 8 games?

from the espn coverage of the deal
Quote:
The Giants (2-6) seem likely to try to re-sign Williams this offseason. If not, they would be eligible to recoup a compensatory pick for the following year.

I'm not sure it makes much sense honestly but recouping a pick makes it somewhat less crazy I think.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #938
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, seems like you are giving up a 5th for the opportunity to try him out and re-sign him. If it doesn't work, you would atleast get a 3rd or 4th in the next draft as a comp pick. I'm still not sure it's worth it as the Giants need as many picks in this next draft as they can get - but it makes *some* sense.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #939
BishopMVP
Coordinator

He's actually a really good interior run defender, albeit not also the pass rusher many thought he'd be coming out of USC.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:02 PM   #940
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ahhh, the Post-Ben Steelers are looking every bit as good as the '08 Lions.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:16 PM   #941
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Yeah, seems like you are giving up a 5th for the opportunity to try him out and re-sign him. If it doesn't work, you would atleast get a 3rd or 4th in the next draft as a comp pick. I'm still not sure it's worth it as the Giants need as many picks in this next draft as they can get - but it makes *some* sense.

If they resign him they're out a 2020 3rd and a 2021 4th, though. Which is an overpay IMO for a DE that doesn't get to the QB. If they fail to sign him they're out a 2020 3rd and a 2021 5th with the hopes of getting a 3rd or 4th back.

It just doesn't make much sense to jump now when they could sign him this offseason. What puts the Giants in a position where they have to get him right now?
Old 10-28-2019, 08:27 PM   #942
bhlloy
Coordinator

This has to get everyone in Pittsburgh fired if it holds up right, especially after the Fitzpatrick trade?

Also I’m biased, but I think while Big Cat doesn’t have the sack numbers, he’s quietly done a good job on a dysfunctional team playing a position that doesn’t exactly traditionally put up big sack numbers. He’s got good tackle numbers and I think some of the best pressure metrics among 3-4 ends. If the Giants fan resign him he’s way, way more valuable than what they gave up, IMO.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #943
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yet another bullshit PI call that the refs got wrong....

and another not called.

Like Steam?

Old 10-28-2019, 09:23 PM   #944
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

JuJu is so good
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #945
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Ahhh, the Post-Ben Steelers are looking every bit as good as the '08 Lions.

It's a good think the team we're playing is looking like the '76 Bucs.

Like Steam?

Old 10-28-2019, 10:11 PM   #946
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Also I’m biased, but I think while Big Cat doesn’t have the sack numbers, he’s quietly done a good job on a dysfunctional team playing a position that doesn’t exactly traditionally put up big sack numbers. He’s got good tackle numbers and I think some of the best pressure metrics among 3-4 ends. If the Giants fan resign him he’s way, way more valuable than what they gave up, IMO.
Yeah, he's a good DLineman and I don't recall any off field baggage like Sheldon Richardson or other Jets DL had (though I could be off).

The Giants have had 31 3rd-5th round picks from 2009-2018. The only one with more than 10 CarAV is Devon Kennard. (BJ Hill does also look like a solid pick.) Leonard Williams has 35 Career AV in 4 seasons - he's consistently near the top of TFL & run stops leaderboards, and his pressure numbers aren't even bad for a 3-4 guy who sees a lot of double teams.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:03 PM   #947
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Bengals are benching Dalton and going with Finley.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #948
Butter
Coordinator

Ryan Finley is even less mobile than Dalton, so I'm not sure with this offensive line that anybody who can't at least move laterally is a great idea.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #949
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

People are going to absolutely lose their minds when the Bengals draft Jalen Hurts instead of Herbert or Burrow or Eason or Fromm.

MIKE BROWN IS BACK, BABY!
Old 10-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #950
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
People are going to absolutely lose their minds when the Bengals draft Jalen Hurts instead of Herbert or Burrow or Eason or Fromm.

MIKE BROWN IS BACK, BABY!

They should invest in other pieces and go for Lawrence in 2021. None of these guys seem like the answer at QB. Interested to see if they move Green today... not sure why they would keep him around. Even if he re-signs it's not like he is worth max money with his injury history.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote