Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #901
RedKingGold
College Starter

Villanova played horribly and dserves to lose. The Wildcats did not want to be here this year.

Congrats to St. Mary's, they deserve to win and will be rooting for them the rest of the way.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 03-20-2010 at 02:09 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #902
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Got some feet tied up there

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #903
Galaxy
Coordinator

Great job St. Mary's. 1st time they made it to the Sweet 16?

Last edited by Galaxy : 03-20-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #904
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Villanova played horribly and dserves to lose. The Wildcats did not want to be here this year.

Congrats to St. Mary's, they deserve to win and will be rooting for them the rest of the way.

disagree, at least in the 2nd half they played good with a lot of energy, Saint Mary´s simply prevailed. Don´t shorthand them here ...

@ Galaxy Yep
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #905
kingfc22
Head Coach

And the west coast knocks off another "big, bad" Big East team. Muahahah.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #906
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Great game by St. Mary's. I was expecting Villanova to go down in the 2nd round, just not to them.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #907
Thomkal
Head Coach

anybody for a Old Dominion/Saint Mary's matchup in the next round? Baylor certainly didn't win easily in the first round...
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #908
timmynausea
College Starter

Two of the best scorers in Big East history go out with a whimper: Harangody scores 4 in the loss to ODU, Reynolds scores 8 today against SMC. Reynolds shot 4-26 from the field in Villanova's 2 tournament games.

Last edited by timmynausea : 03-20-2010 at 02:20 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #909
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
disagree, at least in the 2nd half they played good with a lot of energy, Saint Mary´s simply prevailed. Don´t shorthand them here ...

@ Galaxy Yep

Nope, I've watched this team all year, watched at least 20 games.

They did not bring intensity to this tournament and acted as if the Sweet 16 was their birthright. They made it the past two years and were playing double digit seeds in the first two rounds. Combined with the "minor teaching point" needed before opening game, it's clear that these guys were just not in it.

Still, young nucleus for 'Nova for next year. Although we lose Reynolds, a core of Cheek/Yarou/Wayans/King is solid to build around. But we need to do something about our defense.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #910
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
anybody for a Old Dominion/Saint Mary's matchup in the next round? Baylor certainly didn't win easily in the first round...

+1

Would love to see that.

Would also love to see Duke die in a car fire.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #911
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

I'm not sure how good of a matchup Baylor is for ODU, tho. Baylor has some size and that's all ODU really has- again, as I've said before: big conference size but not big conference skill. That's why matching up with Notre Dame worked pretty well in the first round as the Irish didn't have much size.

SI

Old 03-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #912
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, shot all the way up the ladder on ESPN with that St Mary's win. In the 99.6 percentile now. 20,000th place or so. I've got St Mary's winning one more game. I love March Madness.

But I had Murray st upsetting UTEP (Butler) in the second round; it does not look good at the moment.

Last edited by mauchow : 03-20-2010 at 02:37 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #913
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Like I posted earlier- I had Nova losing in the second round but St Marys-Richmond, I was unsure about who would win and I picked the wrong one

SI

Old 03-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #914
kingfc22
Head Coach

I was up to 352 on ESPN last night, but down to 4982 with the Nova loss.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #915
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hell, I'll just be happy with Top 10 in the FOFC Yahoo pool much less really good national rankings

SI

Old 03-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #916
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
My sarcasm wasnt clear enough.

Clemson coach Oliver Purnell has a long track record of postseason NCAA failure, many times losing as a higher seed in 'upset' fashion. Think this now makes him 0-7 lifetime in the tournament, never advancing.

In fact, now in the past 4 seasons, Clemson has been the higher seed and lost in the opening round.

Conversely, in four previous NCAA tournament appearances, Missouri Coach Mike Anderson has thrice navigated past the first round and twice reached the tournament's second weekend. Yesterdays win makes it 4 out of 5 now.

Beating a Purnell coached team in the NCAA tournament, routine.

Beating the Hillbillies on Sunday, not likely.

Coach Anderson is now 9-4 in the NCAA tournament with most of those wins coming as the lower seed. I think it's awfully premature to write off his resume. He's held his own quite well.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #917
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Really surprised that WVU is only a 6 point favorite to start. I would have thought that they would have been favored by more than that over Mizzou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Coach Anderson is now 9-4 in the NCAA tournament with most of those wins coming as the lower seed. I think it's awfully premature to write off his resume. He's held his own quite well.

jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #918
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I think he's just saying that WVU should be heavier favorites, but with that being said, Mizzou can very well beat WVU.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 03-20-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #919
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I think he's just saying that WVU should be heavier favorites, but with that even with that being said, Mizzou can very well beat WVU.

Perhaps I guess Im not sure. Power rankings say W Virginia should be favored by 3-4 so WVU is already getting 2 points added for some reason.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #920
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Agreed. I don't think WVU should be favored more than they already are, that's just what I got from his posts.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #921
Swaggs
Coordinator

I can't imagine WVU being too big of a favorite. We have won a lot of close games and I think our average margin of victory is "only" like 10-points (and that includes the early handful of blowouts that most major schools play in.

I'd probably put us as a 4-point favorite and say we win the game 6 or 7 times out of 10 on a neutral court.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #922
Swaggs
Coordinator

We also aren't a real high scoring team and we don't really "pull away" at the end of games.

I'm really looking forward to this game. We owe Missouri for knocking us out of the NCAAs back when I was in Jr. High.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #923
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Perhaps I guess Im not sure. Power rankings say W Virginia should be favored by 3-4 so WVU is already getting 2 points added for some reason.

Yeah, I'm even more surprised by the power ratings predictions. I thought both would favor WVU, but Mizzou is still pretty high on the power rankings so that's probably the reason it's relatively close. Of course, the Vegas line always favors the team that they want to get more action on. I guess they expect more action on Mizzou with a line any lower than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
We also aren't a real high scoring team and we don't really "pull away" at the end of games.

I'm really looking forward to this game. We owe Missouri for knocking us out of the NCAAs back when I was in Jr. High.

I forgot all about that.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-20-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #924
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Not exactly what you thought of as a marquee matchup but Murray State-Butler is turning out to be a really fun game

SI

Old 03-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #925
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Butler missing bunnies now...
Old 03-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #926
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And once again CBS screws over Atlanta, staying away from the primary game in spite of the fact that the margin is now just six points.

Between them & ESPN earlier, my ability to enjoy watching the tournament is pretty much dead at this point. It's become pretty obvious that both networks are trying to drive as many viewers as possible to their online feeds -- whether they want to be there or not -- in order to boost their numbers there (I suspect that's a sign that they've overpromised delivery to their advertisers & don't want to be forced to do makegoods later).

News flash for both networks: I'll simply check the scores elsewhere/later rather than fight through the crash-inducing 360 or try to watch large portions of a game on a monitor that's smaller than the first TV I owned as a small child.

Fuck CBS. Fuck ESPN. And after the past 5 hours of not getting my primary game, I'm pretty close to ready to say Fuck college basketball.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #927
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I just want a mid-major in the Elite Eight or beyond. If Murray State thinks they have the juice to do it, then that's fine. But I feel like Butler has a better chance to get at it.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #928
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Clutch work there, Butler shooter.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #929
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Oh man what a dumb foul.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #930
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I just want a mid-major in the Elite Eight or beyond.

Oh yes, nothing like teams that 99% of the country couldn't find on a map with 5 tries.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #931
Radii
Head Coach

Murray State has to be kicking themselves after a 3-10 performance at the FT line, not to mention a -10 turnover margin. They should have this game well in hand.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #932
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Oh yes, nothing like teams that 99% of the country couldn't find on a map with 5 tries.

Damn right.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #933
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Not a pretty win, but a win nonetheless.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #934
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If they win 3 games, they get the spot, popularity be damned. Turns out pretty much every basketball fan knows where Gonzaga is now.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-20-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #935
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Damn, I wish Murray St had at least gotten a shot off.

Last edited by TargetPractice6 : 03-20-2010 at 04:31 PM.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #936
Radii
Head Coach

Well that was embarrassing
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #937
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If they win 3 games, they get the spot, popularity be damned.

Didn't say they wouldn't.

It's just not something that, absent some other compelling interest in the team*, that excites me beyond the possibility for some team I actively dislike to get an embarrassing loss.

Definitely isn't something that excites me beyond that aspect, if I wanted to watch NobodyGivesAFuck State U then I'd watch the DIII title game.

* That "absent some other interest" is important enough for me to make note of. I'll pull for a Peay because they're at least ostensibly Southern. Or a Georgia Southern or a Georgia State or a UTC. But pick a random team from one of the other regions of the country & match them against another similar team & I've got about the same interest as I do in NAIA ball.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #938
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

The online "High Quality" sucks most of the time..it turns blurry way too often.

Last edited by mauchow : 03-20-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #939
whomario
Pro Starter

Sasquatch with the 3 Great start bz Norther Iowa
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #940
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And yet again with the switch.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #941
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Didn't say they wouldn't.

It's just not something that, absent some other compelling interest in the team*, that excites me beyond the possibility for some team I actively dislike to get an embarrassing loss.

Definitely isn't something that excites me beyond that aspect, if I wanted to watch NobodyGivesAFuck State U then I'd watch the DIII title game.

* That "absent some other interest" is important enough for me to make note of. I'll pull for a Peay because they're at least ostensibly Southern. Or a Georgia Southern or a Georgia State or a UTC. But pick a random team from one of the other regions of the country & match them against another similar team & I've got about the same interest as I do in NAIA ball.

That's how I feel about SEC football.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #942
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
That's how I feel about SEC football.

Difference being that they consistently provide the highest rated games throughout the regular season. People outside that area actually care.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #943
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

UNI better keep scoring because once Kansas wakes up...Cinderella lets up or starts realizing they're winning and then bad things happen. You gotta strike while the iron is hot.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #944
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

...and speak of the devil...I hope someone got a picture of the scoreboard.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #945
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

How about whoever can get the most people watching their games wins? Jon, you don't want athletic competition, you want American Fucking Idol.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #946
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
How about whoever can get the most people watching their games wins? Jon, you don't want athletic competition, you want American Fucking Idol.

No Karl, I simply want games I can find some reason to give a damn about.

And the St. Mary's International Recruiting Trips playing the Mid- Continent WhereTheFuckAreWe's doesn't even come close.

edit to add: They could be the greatest collection of talent in the history of basketball but that doesn't compel me in the slightest. It might as well be the NBA or EuroLeague ball, neither of which interest me beyond the realm of trivia. Just because they happen to be college aged kids really doesn't change that for me at all.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-20-2010 at 05:16 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #947
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
No Karl, I simply want games I can find some reason to give a damn about.

And the St. Mary's International Recruiting Trips playing the Mid- Continent WhereTheFuckAreWe's doesn't even come close.

I think what it boils down to, for decrepit old farts like Jon is, that Cinderella playing Goliath is interesting if they give Goliath a good game, but if Cinderella gets too uppity and goes all monkeys-running-the-zoo, he loses interest.

St. Mary's against Kansas in a tight game = interesting. St. Mary's against Murray State and he's going to go yell at kids to get off his lawn because it's marginally more interesting to him.

Last edited by SackAttack : 03-20-2010 at 05:17 PM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #948
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Udub game about off to the start I expected. As long as we stay close early I feel great for the second half because of our depth.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #949
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Fuck my bracket, go northern iowa!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #950
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Fuck my bracket, go northern iowa!

I can get behind that. Piss off Jon and screw Kansas at the same time.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote