Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Jarvis Jones to USC!

bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #902
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Anthony Leon? The former Florida State player? He must have improved a lot between the time he was at Florida State until now.

Yep, he's very highly rated now. His video is extremely impressive. He has signed now and we are just waiting on an unrated DL, John Henderson (who looks awesome on film too) to sign.

edit: said Henderson is waiting on his mother to sign (I don't think we have a scholarship for her!) and should be good in 45 minutes or so, and that was 45 minutes ago, so he should be on board any time now. Great class! Couldn't be happier.

Last edited by MJ4H : 02-04-2009 at 01:01 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #903
DeToxRox
Head Coach

http://courierpostonline.com/article...EWS01/90204010

Apparently Glaud picked RU based off a coin flip
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #904
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Sheldon Richardson just signed with Mizzou. Thank God that saga is finally over. Hopefully he proves his worth on the field.

No doubt.. thought Cuse was going to say Miami for a split second there.

Wingo to Arkansas upsets me though..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #905
Logan
Head Coach

3* TE Malcolm Bush ends a somewhat weird recruitment and chooses Rutgers. He verballed to us long ago, backed off, was supposedly a UNC lock, and then reportedly had his offer pulled.

Just read on a local newspaper writer's blog that Schiano is expected to be on ESPN2 within the next hour. Hoping against hope that it has something to do with Justin Brown's 2:30 announcement, and not just a coincidence.

Either way, we came into this week hoping to end up with Holmes, Bush, and Brown and right now, we have Holmes, Bush and Glaud so there's no reason to be disappointed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #906
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
http://courierpostonline.com/article...EWS01/90204010

Apparently Glaud picked RU based off a coin flip

Old effing news Scott-lover.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #907
Logan
Head Coach

Saw your last entry Sak...when I posted that link earlier, I wasn't just trying to give you confirmation of Glaud choosing RU, but the interesting way in which he made the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Sak, in case you want to update the Glaud entry with how he picked RU over WVU.

I'll let it slide since I'm sure you're all over the place today .
Old 02-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #908
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Logan still sucks.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #909
Logan
Head Coach

And my coach still chose Rutgers over Michigan.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #910
Logan
Head Coach

(jury still out )
Old 02-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #911
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Logan that link wasnt loading for me so I didn't get to read it. I appreciate the help.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-04-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #912
Logan
Head Coach

No prob, just return the favor with posting some good news for me!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #913
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No prob, just return the favor with posting some good news for me!

I have a football blog so I can't post anything about your boyfriend Crosby.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #914
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sua'Filo to UCLA
Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #915
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Xavier Su'a-Filo to UCLA

Big pick up for them as they are desperate for OL help.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #916
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
And my coach still chose Rutgers over Michigan.

And trust me, there was much rejoycing
Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #917
Logan
Head Coach

Remind me to tell you a Crosby-related story once you wrap up everything today.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #918
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Brown picked PSU
Old 02-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #919
Logan
Head Coach

Damn, congrats to PSU on Justin Brown.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #920
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Je'Ron Stokes to Michigan
Old 02-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #921
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Kendall Kelly to Bama.

Not a shock.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #922
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dre Kirkpatrick to Bama .. in an odd way of announcing it.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #923
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dre Kirkpatrick to Bama .. in an odd way of announcing it.

Yeah, the whole routine seemed awkward. Anyway, another strong get for Bama. My Father-in-law is very happy right now.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #924
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Especially since it looked like he put a Braves hat on
Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #925
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Marlon Brown to Georgia.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #926
Butter
Coordinator

Dammit.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #927
BishopMVP
Coordinator

While I think Te'o is a bit overrated once you consider the probable Mormon mission and possibility he changes schools after coming back, it is nice after being basically laughed at every time I said ND had a chance.

I also see SEC schools are back at it again - Ole Miss with 34 commits at this point, Arkansas with 31, etc. I don't understand why the recruiting services take these claims seriously when it isn't even possible to sign that many kids even if all qualified academically. You'd think they'd at least want to post an update in August based on which players actually enrolled.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #928
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
While I think Te'o is a bit overrated once you consider the probable Mormon mission and possibility he changes schools after coming back, it is nice after being basically laughed at every time I said ND had a chance.

I don't see him changing schools if he goes on a mission, it's just not him. He is just that way, he also attended a catholic high school so he is used to it.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #929
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
This one cracked me up...

I don't know whether to laugh at this or shake my head. But in an NY Times article Brian Butler who is the "advisor" for Bryce Brown stated, "he would explore the possibility of Brown’s skipping college and going to the Canadian Football League next season. He mentioned the idea of a team paying Brown $5 million a year for three years. But the salary cap for entire C.F.L. teams is $4.2 million Canadian. "

In Kansas, a Players’ Agent Lines Up the College Recruits - NYTimes.com
So the question is, will Miami, FL step and meet or beat that offer?

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #930
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Disappointing news for Trojan fans, Alshon Jeffrey decommitted and announced for the imposter University of South Carolina.
Doesn't really seem like a surprise to me. I've read for days it was unlikely he was signing with USC...but it could just be what I was reading.

Quote:
And sounds like war is declared by Kiffin on Meyer:

Nuke Richardson, 4* ATH from the Muck, long been a UF commit, is apparently going to sign with UT. Not confirmed yet though but lots of fire.
Richardson is part of the reason I'm not incredibly upset about losing out on Brown and Stokes. I'm still upset, but not as much. I think we're bringing in 3 or more receivers as is.

Quote:
Tennessee gets Darren Myles, Jr. Kiffin and that staff are going to be a huge player next year. I think it will be impressive how much they have accomplished in a short time of recruiting this season.
Word is that they've already secured the state's best prospect for next year...DE Jacques Smith. I know, I'm using the word 'secured' loosely.

Quote:
Believe me, I don't. I was really hoping USC would manage to get him back this year. He's an excellent recruiter.
While I know a lot of Tennessee fans weren't thrilled that he was coming here, I'm sure we'll all be happy with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Have you read the book Meat Market?
I need to!

Quote:
Marsalis Teague picks Tennessee over Florida.
More fuel for the fire...and the third unexpected signee (besides Richardson and Myles, Jr.)

Quote:
Damien Thigpen to UCLA. Not a surprise.
Lane told at least three of the prior commitments to look elsewhere, but this one was the worst. They waited until he visited. Why not be straight with him right off the bat like he was with Tajh Boyd and Petty?

Quote:
Je'Ron Stokes to Michigan
Had my fingers crossed but that was about it. Good luck with him!

LB Greg King is UT's fourth surprise. The Memphis kid chose the Vols over Texas Tech and Auburn.

I also hate that we're likely out of the running for Oku.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #931
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

UCLA appears to have closed strong.

I'm looking forward to next year when Sarkisian will have a full year under his belt - lots of very good players in the state of Washington for the 2010 class and they could form the basis of a highly-rated class for the UW. His efforts this year at trying to get some upper level guys in California to reconsider didn't pay off in most cases, but given the timeframe he had to work with and the 0-12 record he had to explain away, I expect big things from him down the road.

As it is, the UW signed one of their lowest-rated classes in recent memory, and are banking on a number of JC guys qualifying (something that hasn't been easy for the UW given their inability to accept PE credits). One silver lining is the QB that signed, Keith Price, was a late bloomer who had great camp showings this summer and a strong senior season - he looks like a gem.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #932
Logan
Head Coach

Going to post a recap of the best Rutgers recruiting class to date (by star ranking at least) when I get back from the gym later. I know you are all eagerly anticipating it.

Followed all day Sak...congrats on the work.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #933
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks Logan. And thanks to you, Detox, and MJ4H for their help.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #934
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Yeah....when I was on it earlier, it was pretty beat up...BTW, I am BuffaloCougar over there

I am ALC, I don't post a lot because I usually end up arguing with the idiot pocket over there

To make our day worse, 4 star OLB Kyle Van Noy got a DUI recently and will be suspended for the first semester. (He would have started as a Frosh I have no doubt) I at least give the kid credit for sticking around.

And yes, even though this happened before he enrolled he can be suspended because you need a clergy endorsement to be accepted at BYU, which would not have been given due to the DUI. I love the Cougars, but sometimes this shit just goes too far, Kids do stupid things and need to counseled and mentored not slapped everytime they fuck up. If they don't learn, then suspend or boot them.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 02-04-2009 at 04:11 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #935
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

I also see SEC schools are back at it again - Ole Miss with 34 commits at this point, Arkansas with 31, etc. I don't understand why the recruiting services take these claims seriously when it isn't even possible to sign that many kids even if all qualified academically. You'd think they'd at least want to post an update in August based on which players actually enrolled.

Several of Arkansas's scholarships count back to last season and a few are expected not to qualify.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #936
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Several of Arkansas's scholarships count back to last season and a few are expected not to qualify.
Oh, I know. I just think the recruiting rankings should be adjusted once players don't qualify academically.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #937
mckerney
Coordinator

With Michael Carter come at least one of his teammates, DT Eric Jacques signed with Minnesota out of no where and junior CB Jabari Price who was an honorable mention for the Army All American Combine team said he'd commit to Minnesota right away if offered.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #938
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I don't understand why the recruiting services take these claims seriously when it isn't even possible to sign that many kids even if all qualified academically. You'd think they'd at least want to post an update in August based on which players actually enrolled.

Huh?

There is no limit on how many you sign to letters of intent, only how many you enroll.

The schools are today releasing the names of guys they have signed to letters of intent. It is a violation for them to name someone they are recruiting, so they cannot officially associate their school with that player's name until they have the letter.

Or, are you seriously suggesting that schools are lying when releasing their lists of who they have signed to LOI's?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #939
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Huh?

There is no limit on how many you sign to letters of intent, only how many you enroll.

The schools are today releasing the names of guys they have signed to letters of intent. It is a violation for them to name someone they are recruiting, so they cannot officially associate their school with that player's name until they have the letter.

Or, are you seriously suggesting that schools are lying when releasing their lists of who they have signed to LOI's?

I believe he's questioning recruiting services basing their rankings off of what happens on signing day (and shortly thereafter) when some teams are signing 30+ players because they know up to a 1/3 of them have little to no chance of qualifying.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #940
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
While I know a lot of Tennessee fans weren't thrilled that he was coming here, I'm sure we'll all be happy with the results.

I wish I had anything remotely approaching that sort of confidence.

While the day definitely improved as things got later & some surprises came through, here's the tough part: Salvaging the #23 recruiting class (Rivals) sounds a lot better before you consider that the group is near the bottom of the SEC.

#1 Alabama
#2 LSU
#9 Georgia
#10 Florida
#12 South Carolina
#14 Arkansas
#17 Ole Miss
#18 Auburn
#22 Mississippi State
#23 Tennessee

So Kiffin & Co, late start or not, was outrecruited by everyone in the conference except Kentucky & Vanderbilt. And while I think he might have a staff that can do a little more coaching up the Fulmer's group had managed, I'm really afraid that what today does is push the Vols further back in the pack than they already were and at best does nothing more than give them a fighting chance to maintain the status quo (which isn't exactly all that hot at the moment).

There's still nobody who can play QB on campus, there's still no one who seems to know how to block anybody, and there still not enough help for the D-line.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #941
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh, I know. I just think the recruiting rankings should be adjusted once players don't qualify academically.

Aha. I don't care too much for recruiting rankings anyway. They are good for a ballpark idea of how things are going, but it doesn't really affect too much in the end. I would agree with you, though, in principle.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #942
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I can see why you would look at it that way, Jon. I'd rather look at it as a half full glass, though.

I think at this point I'm much happier with Lane Kiffin and his #23 ranked recruiting class than having Fulmer return, Stokes, Boyd, and Thigpen in tow. I would have no confidence in Fulmer and company's ability to use them on the field.

My brain's a little fuzzy on it, but I think generally speaking a 23rd ranked class is better than what Fulmer managed to pull off last year as well.

I think with DE Jacques Smith committing already is huge. From what I read, and I'm sure you've got the same source, he's the top prospect in the state and likely one of the tops in the nation. Kiffin wasn't necessarily concerned about this year. He's already been priming the pump for next year.

Fingers crossed that he straightens out Crompton and gets the most out of Montario Hardesty, Lennon Creer, Denarius Moore, Gerald Jones, Quintin Hancock, and Austin Rogers on offense.

I think if Tennessee has a successful season (define successful, of course) things could get very interesting. I mean, shoot, it's the SEC East. Things are interesting enough as it is. I'm just glad that we're at least trying to fight back into it.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #943
Logan
Head Coach

Here's my quick take on the 23 kids Rutgers brought in today.
  • Steve Beauharnais - 3* LB: Solidly built and good speed. Could play inside or outside.
  • Malcolm Bush - 3* TE: More of a receiving TE but looks to have the size to block.
  • Paul Carrezola - 3* TE: Impressive offer list, a bigger TE than Bush which should help with blocking, but looks like he could catch the ball too. I'll gladly take a top 15 kid in a state like PA.
  • Andre Civil - 3* DE: Schiano loves this kid. He's already enrolled and looks like he could be a solid pass rusher.
  • Ka'Lial Glaud - 3* LB: The coin-flip kid and our surprise for signing day. Offers from all over, considered to be a big hitter, looks like a future replacement for Ryan D'Imperio.
  • Duron Harmon - 3* DB: Big athlete. Projected at safety for now, Rivals has him at #36 on the CB list.
  • Mark Harrison - 3* WR: 6'4", 230 lb already but considered very athletic. Possibly under-recruited out in CT.
  • Aaron Hayward - 3* WR: Nice combo with Harrison. Below 6' but very solidly built. Really impressive offer list, and described as quick.
  • Isaac Holmes - 4* DT: Huge dude at 6'3", 290 but still quick. Member of the Rivals 250, offers from all over. Schiano has done very well with the undersized DTs (Ramel Meekins, Eric Foster) so it will be nice to see what he can do with more beef.
  • Robert Joseph - 2* FB: Hard to describe a fullback prospect in a way that will sound impressive.
  • Michael Larrow - 3* DE: Great size coming off the edge.
  • Antwan Lowery - 3* DT: Another monster at 6'4" 325. Thinking of what Holmes and Lowery could potentially do together puts a smile on my face. Chose us over Miami in a nice duel.
  • Jamal Merrill - 3* LB: Athletic OLB.
  • Jamil Merrill - 3* DE: He and his brother were the #2 and #3 prospects in DE behind PSU commit Justin Brown. Schiano thinks Jamil could be an impact player next year.
  • David Osei - 2* OL: Not heavily recruited, projects at center with good agility.
  • Quron Pratt - 3* DB: Another impressive athlete who could play anywhere.
  • Logan Ryan - 4* DB: Potential shutdown corner, rated 15th at the position by Rivals. South Jersey Player of the Year.
  • Mohamed Sanu - 3* DB: Our first 2009 signee on this day last year. A big (6'3", 215), fast (4.4) safety. Already enrolled, could be Courtney Greene's replacement next year.
  • Tom Savage - 4* QB: The jewel. Strong arm (third best in this year's class according to Rivals) but also accurate, described by everyone as a leader. Rutgers' first major QB signing. Most importantly, he stayed with us despite the 1-5 start and kept a lot of our commits on board.
  • Abdul Smith - 3* DB: Another impressive CB prospect. Schiano says he's "NFL strong right now, physically" which he doesn't throw around much.
  • Junior Solice - 2* LB: Some people can't seem to figure out why he wasn't more highly recruited. Had an offer from NC State and interest from Maryland early on but they both backed off. We'll see if he can prove himself.
  • De'Antwan Williams - 4* RB: Powerful and very fast back who just jumps out at you on film. Could have an early impact...if he qualifies. Is 20 pts short of a qualifying SAT score, waiting on scores from his most recent try at it, where he was given more time due to his learning disability.
  • Jamal Wilson - 2* OL: Huge kid at 6'6" 300. Low star ratings, some solid offers (BC, MD, Rivals lists PSU too but that is supposedly up for debate). But I really don't care about that...Wilson was one of our earliest offers and considering it came from OL Coach Flood, who I believe is among the best at his position in the country, I have high hopes for him.

There you have it. A lot of talent joining all aspects of the defense, and with Schiano's past defensive success, the potential is very exciting. Savage, Williams, Harrison, Hayward and Bush could also be all-conference type players, with the highest ceilings on Savage and Williams.

On to 2010, a graduating class that saw Rutgers in bowl games throughout their entire HS career!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #944
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
My brain's a little fuzzy on it, but I think generally speaking a 23rd ranked class is better than what Fulmer managed to pull off last year as well.

Yeah, although I had to go look it up to be sure.
http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank...rt=0&year=2009

Last year's class was 35th, averaging 3.06 stars on the same number (18) of signees. This year's average was 3.44 stars but only 7 teams in the SEC were ahead of them as opposed to 10 this year. Previous ranks working further back were 3rd (10-4), 23rd(9-4), and 4th (5-6), so there's not a great deal of recent correlation between their record and the most recent recruit class rank anyway.

I'll be one of the first to say that Fulmer rarely maximized whatever talent he managed to acquire, and even more rarely coached anybody up IMO. But the relativity of this class to the rest of the conference has me extremely concerned.

Quote:
I think with DE Jacques Smith committing already is huge. From what I read, and I'm sure you've got the same source, he's the top prospect in the state and likely one of the tops in the nation. Kiffin wasn't necessarily concerned about this year. He's already been priming the pump for next year.

That last bit is a lot of what I'm thinking, since he did nothing to address the most glaring problem on the roster, I think this coming season has already been largely written off as a lost cause. On the one hand I can understand that & accept a certain amount of realism but at the same time I'm not sure how back to back losing seasons under two different staffs is going to result in any improvement in recruiting either.

Quote:
Fingers crossed that he straightens out Crompton

If he does that he won't be coaching football much longer, he'll be too busy starring in a modern remake of The Miracle Worker.

Quote:
and gets the most out of Montario Hardesty, Lennon Creer, Denarius Moore, Gerald Jones, Quintin Hancock, and Austin Rogers on offense.

I just don't know how any of those guys (who aren't bad in & of themselves, I particularly like Creer, as well as Jones when is head is on straight), are going to do much if they don't find somebody in K-Ville who is both capable and willing of blocking somebody.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-04-2009 at 08:06 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #945
MrBug708
Head Coach

A few thoughts

Hasiak coming back into the fold was great. He's expected to contribute right away.

Sua Fila - I figured UCLA was 5th in a five team race for him so this was an incredible surprise

Thigpen signing with UCLA makes Randal Carroll a bit more expendable if he goes somewhere else. Great pickup and will likely be UCLA's fastest player as a Frosh

Te'o - Congrats to Notre Dame on the pickup. But was it me or did he not look that happy picking the Domers when he did it? LIke Kavingina did last year picking USC

Norton - Ouch

Sanders - I think this kid was going to be solid for UCLA at DE, but he's going to Miami to play DE. Win some, you lose some

As for UCLA's class, one hell of a class for Rick/Chow/DWalk (for almost most of the time). They addressed most of their positions of need (DT was super weak in the West this year). The team went 4-8 and they will likely finish with a top 10 class? Rick earned his money this year recruiting. And next year should be even stronger with most of Dorrell's "better kids" starting to become upper classment
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #946
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
A few thoughts

Hasiak coming back into the fold was great. He's expected to contribute right away.

Sua Fila - I figured UCLA was 5th in a five team race for him so this was an incredible surprise

Thigpen signing with UCLA makes Randal Carroll a bit more expendable if he goes somewhere else. Great pickup and will likely be UCLA's fastest player as a Frosh

Te'o - Congrats to Notre Dame on the pickup. But was it me or did he not look that happy picking the Domers when he did it? LIke Kavingina did last year picking USC

Norton - Ouch

Sanders - I think this kid was going to be solid for UCLA at DE, but he's going to Miami to play DE. Win some, you lose some

As for UCLA's class, one hell of a class for Rick/Chow/DWalk (for almost most of the time). They addressed most of their positions of need (DT was super weak in the West this year). The team went 4-8 and they will likely finish with a top 10 class? Rick earned his money this year recruiting. And next year should be even stronger with most of Dorrell's "better kids" starting to become upper classment

Norton - ouch? Norton did a great job getting 2 of the top LB's from SEC country. Not to mention another good linebacker in Simmons and a potential sleeper in Metcalf. Te'o indicated in an interview that it was a combination of important factors including the "spiritualism" at ND that made him choose that. Te'o was not Norton's fault.

Congrats to you and Chief on a great class this year. A major step up from previous years. Of course, it is still behind USC's class.

Edit to add: I also thought that Te'o didn't look happy during his announcement, but didn't want to say anything as it could have looked like sour grapes coming from me. I wonder how much his parents wanted him to go there. Shrug. I hope he is happy and has a great year there (except when he plays USC.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-04-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #947
MrBug708
Head Coach

Carroll announces for UCLA. UCLA just added to speed threats this class and will help their overall team speed
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #948
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently there is rumors Starling hasn't sent his LOI in and is having second thoughts. Anyone?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #949
JW
College Prospect

Speaking of Rivals, are they fudging their numbers?

There have always been suspicions by fans of other SEC schools that Rivals fudges its numbers to favor Alabama. And there have been cases where players gained stars after signing with Bama and sometimes lost stars after signing with someone else. In fact a standing joke at recruiting time on LSU forums is how many stars a player will lose after signing with LSU. Now, maybe, someone has some empirical evidence. There is a link to one of the spreadsheets at this link.

Rivals National Signing Day Rankings: Fuzzy Math Results? : Fanblogs College Football Blog

February 4, 2009
Rivals National Signing Day Rankings: Fuzzy Math Results?

It appears as if a USC Fan has independently created a spreadsheet using Rivals own posted and public ranking formula for teams.

It seems every team checked out-except for the University of Alabama. They had the same score as LSU. Exactly. With less Top 100 players, lower position rankings, etc. Yet, somehow, they received extra points.

There have been a few threads regarding this information on Rivals sites. They can be found at these URLS (Which require a Rivals Subscription):

Entry Not Allowed

Entry Not Allowed

Entry Not Allowed

At the time of this post, no answer from the folks at Rivals have been forthcoming.

The bottom line is that, if I'm reading these threads correctly, there was admittedly a lot of room for error throughout the day, but that Alabama was at least half a hundy points or so-give or take-from overtaking their nearest competitor, which just happens to be LSU.

Time will tell if Rivals sets the record straight, but it still won't stop the stories on all the wires from going out without time for correction, and it won't take back the front page hand you know what that Rivals gave Bama after they declared them champions. Quite convenient for a "news service" that was owned and still employs a large number of Alabama fans, and whose largest individual school site in terms of membership is also the University of Alabama's.

Most folks might know here that I've railed about this issue for some time. Perhaps we've finally found the Recruiting Rankings version of The Zapruder film?
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #950
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So rumor is Starling never sent a LOI to USC and wants to go to ND. This is from ND's end though. Also sounds like lawyers are involved, but I dunno why.