Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #901
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

OK. It looks like there are some stats that show the Angels bullpen to be the "worst", however the important ones, the Nationals are worse.

Nationals 0-8, 3/9 SV, 5.40 ERA, 11 HR, 47 BB, 91 IP
Angels 1-8, 6/10 SV, 7.69 ERA, 5 HR, 36 BB, 81 IP

http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pag...gular.html&t=0

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #902
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Washington's bullpen ERA is pretty good compared to their save and win percentages.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #903
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I thought the pen was so good that K-Rod was going to be easily replaced?

( just kidding, he's had a couple of those frustrating outings you've talked about)

Heh, I was wondering when something like that would be said (even though you're kidding and have seen what I meant). K-Rod--might--have saved us last night, where Fuentes was just gawd awful. But Fuentes has been one of the better "bad" arms in the pen so far, and has only blown two saves, I think. No, the pen's problem has been the 6th through 8th innings, where every member not named Darren Oliver (and in particular Shields, Arredondo, Bulger) has stunk to high heaven, giving up runs in bunches and blowing away big leads (The Angels' offense has actually been pretty good, even without Vlad).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #904
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and I never said K-Rod would be easily replaced. I just said he would not be missed with how he pitches at times, especially not for the money he was looking for.

I did say the pen would be fine. Silly me, I forgot to take into account that every pitcher in the pen would suddenly forget how to pitch, yuck.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #905
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Our bullpen is half good and half bad (and Doug Waechter). The 7th-8th-9th inning map seems pretty easy but it just hasn't been...

Player G GS W L SV BS HLD CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
Robinson Tejeda 7 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 8.2 4 1 1 0 9 13 1.04 1.50 .143
Juan Cruz 9 0 1 0 1 0 3 0 0 10.2 5 2 2 1 4 6 1.69 0.84 .147
Joakim Soria 5 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 0 5.0 4 1 1 0 2 8 1.80 1.20 .200
Jamey Wright 9 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 0 13.0 8 4 3 2 3 9 2.08 0.85 .186
Doug Waechter 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4.0 5 2 2 2 1 3 4.50 1.50 .294
Ron Mahay 8 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 6.0 8 6 5 1 2 9 7.50 1.67 .308
Kyle Farnsworth 9 0 0 3 0 1 0 0 0 7.1 10 7 7 2 4 7 8.59 1.91 .333
Horacio Ramírez 6 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 10.0 15 10 10 2 4 6 9.00 1.90 .349
Total 12 11 6 2 7 2 1 202.0 182 89 85 18 78 176 3.79 1.29 .242

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #906
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Details on Alex Rodriguez's alleged pitch-tipping with Rangers - MLB - SI.com

Quote:

Selena Roberts: I don't know the history of how it has worked in the major leagues, but from my reporting and the people I spoke with on the Rangers, what they noticed was a pattern of behavior by Alex over a pretty lengthy period of time, two or three years, where it just became more noticeable that his mannerisms on the field were different in games that were already over, its 10-2, something like that. When games were already decided, they noticed this behavior with Alex where he would do very obvious signs, presumably to an opposing hitter who would be a middle infielder on an opposing team, where they believed that he would tip the signs.
SI.com: Why was he doing this?
Roberts: What this was all part of was a quid pro quo, according to the people I spoke with. Alex would tip his middle infielder buddy on the other team and the player on the other team would in turn tip Alex. What it was was slump insurance. You could count on your buddy to help you break out of your slump, if you're 0 for 3 or you've had a bad week. There was no intent to throw a game or change the outcome.
SI.com: How would he tip the pitches?
Roberts: If it was a changeup, sources say, he would twist his glove hand. To indicate a slider, he would allegedly sweep the dirt in front of him, and he would bend in the direction of where the pitch was going to be, inside or outside. I don't know that it's easy to decode. You're talking about people who see a player on an every-day basis, day after day, year after year. I don't know that it would be at all obvious to people who are watching or to a television audience. These are people who would know how to detect when things don't feel right. If it happened once or twice, people might say, Let's give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe we didn't see what we thought we saw. But according to the people that I spoke with, this was a pattern of behavior.

i'm so done with this douchebag and glad he's not on my team. he's scum

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-02-2009 at 02:01 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #907
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

From what I've read and heard about all of the stuff in this book, I'm embarrassed for Selena Roberts. And her comments yesterday that a couple of people's recollections of him bulking up and bench pressing significantly more weight in high school was "definite proof" that he was taking steroids is so unconvincing and ridiculous that she's almost making ARod a sympathetic figure now. I'm wondering if she's going to add a chapter this weekend blaming him for Swine Flu.

Somewhere along the way, sports journalists lost the distinction between reporting rumors of trades, signings, etc., and legitimate proof of allegations against someone. This stuff may be true, but she doesn't seem to have anything remotely resembling proof. To some extent, ARod has brought this on himself by lying, but it just seems like this book is nothing more than an attempt to profit off of piling on a guy everyone is pre-disposed to not liking or believing. I'll pass.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #908
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't know what the truth is, but I remember writing about Selena Roberts when the ARod steroid thing first broke, and my impressions of her from her radio interview with Dan Patrick (cast iron you know), as well as trying to go directly to ARod's private residence to speak to him (trying to talk her way past guards), and then walking up to him in the middle of a gym to confront him. It just struck me as wrong.

I haven't read anything she wrote, so I don't know if she only has what you're saying or more legit stuff; I can't speak to whether her info is good, or her chain of reasoning is good and well-evidenced. But it's my been my guess for a while now that she will go to some very low lows to get a story, and those type of writers will usually take liberties in their writing as well.

All that said, she popped the steroid thing, and ARod admitted it (at Texas at least). So take it all for what you will.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #909
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Roberts also wrote some terrible stuff during the Duke LaCrosse scandal that later turned out to be completely false, but she never owned up to that.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #910
RedKingGold
College Starter

Chan Ho Park and Oliver Perez should get an apartment together.

Then Mets and Phillies fans can combine to blow that shit up.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #911
Ksyrup

Manuel should have given Perez a couple of more innings to try to get his shit together, IMO.

lol
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #912
Ksyrup

As Rob Neyer pointed out in a blog post yesterday, this is par for the course with Oliver Perez. He is who they knew he was when they re-signed him. He's had streches worse than this during the past several seasons. The only difference here is that it's at the beginning of the year, so everyone is harping on it. But's it not like the guy wasn't known for walking way too many batters and having stretches when he would be absolutely brutal. He clearly wasn't worth the money.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #913
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Details on Alex Rodriguez's alleged pitch-tipping with Rangers - MLB - SI.com

i'm so done with this douchebag and glad he's not on my team. he's scum

I wonder how common that kind of thing still is. It was apparently no big deal in the 60's (per Jim Bouton).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #914
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Man. They need to spread this out. Leave some dirt for the rest of his Yankee career.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #915
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Chan Ho Park and Oliver Perez should get an apartment together.

Then Mets and Phillies fans can combine to blow that shit up.

amen
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #916
Ksyrup

Verlander has been spectacular today. Hopefully the bullpen can hold it for him.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #917
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Verlander has been spectacular today. Hopefully the bullpen can hold it for him.

Getting out of that bases loaded, no out jam was impressive. He seems to be coming around his last few starts. But now Seay, our most reliable reliever, puts two guys on with two outs. Hopefully they get out of this.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #918
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Seay, our most reliable reliever

Welcome to the AL Central.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #919
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Watching the Reds starters do very well is thrilling..... I have never really been able to watch the Reds shut people down... This is a good feeling
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #920
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Welcome to the AL Central.

Yep. This is a terrible division but all five teams can win it so at least it'll be entertaining.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #921
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I understand when a good pitcher has a good game. But, dammit- what is the evil magic that Scott Baker has over the Royals?!?

SI

Old 05-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #922
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We just committed highway robbery and stole a series from the Twins, in what's always a house of horrors for us in the Metrodome. Last night, we won an 11th inning game that neither team wanted with a fangraph that looked like a person suffering from a heart attack, it was oscillating so much.

Today, we were getting no-hit through 6 by mediocre pitcher but horrible Royals nemesis Scott Baker. He always makes us look awful. Twins had us at something like an 8% win percentage going into the 7th, down 4-0. Baker then gives up a couple of cheap hits and grooves an 0-2 pitch right into Guillen's zone and suddenly, it's a ball game. By the time the next inning rolls around, Baker had gone from no-hitter to shutout to quality start to loss.

This was just one of those games where as soon as the pitcher loses the rhythm from the no-hitter, he falls apart.

The increasingly less maligned Trey Hillman presses almost all of the right buttons in using a depleted bullpen to hang on for the win, making the best of a lot of bad options. What a series win, stealing 2 of 3 and taking back sole possession of 1st place.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-03-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #923
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Weird schedules on deck for MLB this week. Almost everyone plays 7 games and they're all in Mon/Tues, Wed/Thurs, Fri/Sat/Sun series. You rarely see two game series for Mon/Tues or Wed/Thurs- it's almost always Tues/Wed with the usual Mon and Thurs off days.

Also, Crawford with 6 SB today?!? WTF

SI

Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #924
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Also, Crawford with 6 SB today?!? WTF

Yeah, that was freaking incredible!!

Also Scott Baker going from almost no-hitter to loss by giving up 5 in the 7th... ouch!!

Oh, and I like C.J. Wilson a lot more now:

Twitter / ISiddiqui: @str8edgeracer Please tell ...

Twitter / C.J. Wilson: @ISiddiqui yes I have. He ...

A baseball player who's read firejoemorgan gets thumbs up in my book .
Old 05-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #925
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Weird schedules on deck for MLB this week. Almost everyone plays 7 games and they're all in Mon/Tues, Wed/Thurs, Fri/Sat/Sun series. You rarely see two game series for Mon/Tues or Wed/Thurs- it's almost always Tues/Wed with the usual Mon and Thurs off days.

Not entirely true. I seem to remember at least one 2 day-2 day-3 day weeks every year, or at least going back for 2-3 years now. I think last year it happened in July, but not sure. Of course, my focus is on the Angels' part of it, so I don't know if it was a league wide thing. But I definitely remember it happening to the Angels, and not the first time.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #926
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, I know- that's why I said rarely. It's happened before but it's weird to see on the calendar because it's not usual.

SI

Old 05-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #927
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
This was just one of those games where as soon as the pitcher loses the rhythm from the no-hitter, he falls apart.

SI

FWIW.....The Twinkie fans should probably blame the Royals TV announcers. During the bottom of the 5th inning, the play-by-play announcer mentioned how many times he's seen a no-hit attempt that goes into the mid to late innings result in the wheels coming off when it's finally broken. No sooner than it came out of his mouth, it happened exactly as he had predicted.

Another great series win for the Royals. Royals haven't played great over the past week, yet they still went 5-2 against the Blue Jays and Twins.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #928
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, I don't think I'd call Baker a "mediocre pitcher".
Old 05-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #929
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I dunno- he's a career ERA+ 97 pitcher. That's not awful but it's not great either. That makes him slightly below league average and with him being young, he could put it together and improve over the next couple of years to be good.

But right now, I'd take him as our #4 or #5 but I'd still rather have Davies (105, 98 the last 2 years) as our 3.

SI

Old 05-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #930
Travis
Pro Rookie

27 games in the Jays are 18-9, 1st in the AL and 3rd in the majors (though unfortunately only 2 ahead of Boston).

Their current rotation is Halladay, Richmond, Tallet, Ray, Cecil. Cecil will become the 9th pitcher to start a game for the Jays this season when he toes the rubber on Tuesday.

That's right, a combined 19 games started after Halladay, with 8 of those coming this season. With the demotion of Purcey, Halladay is now the only pitcher on the team to have started more than 4 games this season.

Now I have a lot of faith in Cito, but I'm really hoping the cavalry comes soon and comes back strong (Janssen, Litsch and Romero shouldn't be too far off, but it will be interesting to see how effective they are and if they can stay healthy). The Jays are 68-46 since he came back last season with the interesting caveat that they were missing some key offensive pieces when he took over last season which just got swapped out for missing pitchers this season.

How did this guy go without a job as manager for over 10 years?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #931
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I dunno- he's a career ERA+ 97 pitcher. That's not awful but it's not great either. That makes him slightly below league average and with him being young, he could put it together and improve over the next couple of years to be good.

He's a fairly young pitcher who had a 118 ERA+ last season.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #932
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Watching the Reds starters do very well is thrilling..... I have never really been able to watch the Reds shut people down... This is a good feeling

Johnny Cueto has been lights out. Edinson Volquez said during spring training that he expected Cueto to eventually be the rotation's #1 starter... and so far this year, it is coming true.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #933
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The Zack Greinke show makes another appearance tonight to try to make it 6-0. Upper deck seats are $5 tonight. He'll be going up against Colon and the White Sox tonight. His first outing was against the White Sox, where he threw 6 innings, giving up 3 hits and striking out 7.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #934
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Tallet looks pretty dialed in right now. I may just watch that game or the Royals game, it will be nice to see a pitcher throw some strikes
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #935
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nice game by Tallet, tho it was just like Baker yesterday- as soon as the no-hitter was broken up, the wheels fell off the truck.

Zack looking masterful again tonight. 4 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 6 K- all on 47 pitches (31S/16B). He's faced the minimum due to a caught stealing. Also, he's now staked to a 3-0 lead.

SI

Old 05-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #936
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Zimmerman is 4-4 with a walk, 3 R, 2 RBI and has brought his average up to .333.

Dukes is 3-5 with 3 RBI (2 SO, 3LOB)

A good night for the Nationals so far -- a 5 run 6th has done the majority of the work to getting a 9-5 lead in the bottom of the 8th. (2 on, 0 out, top of the order waiting to swing)

Old 05-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #937
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Oh, and Zimmerman's hitting streak is extended to 22 games. Finally his batting average doesn't make it look like as much as a fluke.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #938
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Yep, The Zackinator has just put the final touches on his 3rd complete game and 2nd shutout of the season against the White Sox and once again leads the majors in strikeouts and ERA while reaching 6-0. Another dominating performance.

This is fun to watch. I haven't seen anyone pitch as masterfully as he has the last month since Maddux was at the top of his game. Beautiful.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #939
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just absolutely sick.

Zack got tired- all but 1 of those in the 9th was hit hard- but still got the shutout. 9 IP, 6 H, 10K, 0 R, 0 BB. 104 pitches, 72 strikes. His ERA dropped to 0.40 on the year and he's pitched every bit of that this season- not a fluke at all. It's just sick.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-04-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #940
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Not entirely true. I seem to remember at least one 2 day-2 day-3 day weeks every year, or at least going back for 2-3 years now. I think last year it happened in July, but not sure. Of course, my focus is on the Angels' part of it, so I don't know if it was a league wide thing. But I definitely remember it happening to the Angels, and not the first time.
Yeah, it's been a by-product of the new schedule format that includes a lot of 2-game/4-game series than normal. I'm sure there's a logic to it but it baffles me. The Royals got lucky this time around because they get to come home for a two-game series with the White Sox and Mariners before 3 in Anaheim and 2 in Oakland. Last we had an awful road trip that was something like 4 in Oakland, 2 in Seattle and 2 in Anaheim that looked like it really wiped the team.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #941
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

So glad for Greinke.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #942
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just absolutely sick.

Zack got tired- all but 1 of those in the 9th was hit hard- but still got the shutout. 9 IP, 6 H, 10K, 0 R, 0 BB. 104 pitches, 72 strikes. His ERA dropped to 0.40 on the year and he's pitched every bit of that this season- not a fluke at all. It's just sick.

SI
And if you're calculating the Greinke Effect ... last Monday the Royals beat the Blue Jays in front of 9,685. Tonight, 21,843 on had.

Makes me wish I had the time and money to go see him pitch in St. Louis for the all-star game. There's your starter right there.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 05-04-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #943
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I would love to be back there to catch a couple of his games and feel that electric atmosphere that I had only ever seen there in 2003

SI

Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #944
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
So glad for Greinke.
Zack was on his way to stealing Kevin "Planet" Appier's nickname because he's just wired a bit differently. They interviewed him on the post-game show and considering the tough times he went though, he genuinely looks and seems happy right now. He had a big grin on his face that you just don't get in sports often enough. He looked like a kid just enjoying what he did. It's a neat feeling, especially with him.

He'll never look at ease doing interviews and sound very exciting. But two years ago you'd see him do an interview and it looked like he just wanted to fall into a hole and never come out. Now, he looks happy. It's cool to see.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #945
MikeVic
Head Coach

Please bump this thread when Greinke is scheduled to pitch next. I'd like to see if I can watch a game of his on TV (whatever the odds of that are here in Canada).

Last edited by MikeVic : 05-04-2009 at 09:58 PM.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #946
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Please bump this thread when Greinke is scheduled to pitch next. I'd like to see if I can watch a game of his on TV (whatever the odds of that are here in Canada).

It will be Saturday night, late, at Anaheim. There's the early warning for now

SI

Old 05-05-2009, 12:56 AM   #947
stevew
Hall Of Famer

fuckin brewers man, so sick of these fuckers.

I think that was 16 in a row, wtf.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #948
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Yovani Gallardo is sick.

8 IP 0 ER 11 K

And he hits a home run, scoring the only run of the game in a win. Not a fluke either, this is his second home run of the year, first was off the Big Unit. Fourth of his short career.

I know it's all random stat shit, but they said on the radio tonight that only 3 times in the modern era has a pitcher had more than 10K's and hit a homer in a 1-0 victory.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #949
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Johnny Cueto has been lights out. Edinson Volquez said during spring training that he expected Cueto to eventually be the rotation's #1 starter... and so far this year, it is coming true.

Impressive outings all weekend, will be interesting if they can keep it up when they aren't facing a AAAA batting team though.

This offense is BAD.

Oh, and if you were Cueto's dad, would you murder Dusty Baker to save your kids career? I'd certainly be entertaining the thought.

Last edited by stevew : 05-05-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #950
Butter
Coordinator

The Cards are coming to town in a couple of days, so we'll find out. Pitching did its job again for the Reds last night, but if you only score 2 runs in 14 innings, you're usually going to lose.