Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #901
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Clemens didn't pull his groin, he has a "fatigued" groin. Nice to know that in about 10 years, it'll be acceptable for me to play off an inability to perform as "fatigue."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #902
Ksyrup

The belly crawl and bomb with the rosin was classic. The only thing that ruined it all was that he was too calm in between stunts. He needed to stay crazy while going from obstacle to obstacle to really sell that performance.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #903
Logan
Head Coach

Wow, I love the drawing of the huge plate in the dirt. Haven't seen that before.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #904
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Wow, I love the drawing of the huge plate in the dirt. Haven't seen that before.

that was pretty funny.

link to the Clemens artical

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2891392
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #905
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The only thing that ruined it all was that he was too calm in between stunts. He needed to stay crazy while going from obstacle to obstacle to really sell that performance.

He's young, he'll learn. That's only his second career ejection
Old 06-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #906
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

And the Jays' injury woes continue. I feel major sympathy for him...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...e=MLBHeadlines

Blue Jays' Overbay out 4-to-6 weeks with broken hand
TORONTO -- Toronto Blue Jays first baseman Lyle Overbay is expected to miss four to six weeks after breaking a bone in his right hand.
Overbay was injured when he was hit by a pitch from Chicago White Sox left-hander John Danks in the third inning of Sunday's game. Overbay stayed in the game to run, but was replaced at first base by Matt Stairs to start the fourth. "It's always going to hurt right off the bat, but I just knew," Overbay said. "It got worse as the day went on." White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was ejected by home plate umpire Alfonso Marquez for arguing that Overbay had swung at the pitch and should not have been given first base. "I'm not going to fault him for arguing that," Overbay said. Overbay, 30, is batting .256 with eight home runs and 27 RBI in 55 games this season. "It's frustrating because I was feeling better and feeling like I had a chance out there and getting some consistency," Overbay said. A seven-year veteran, this will be Overbay's first trip to the disabled list. Stairs is expected to get the bulk of the playing time at first base in Overbay's absence. Blue Jays right-hander Shaun Marcum also left Sunday's game after three innings with tightness in his back. "Even when I was warming up, it was a little bit stiff," Marcum said. "I thought it would get better as the day went on and it didn't." Marcum's injury isn't considered serious and he's expected to make his next start. Overbay is the ninth Toronto player on the disabled list, joining other regulars such as left-handed starter Gustavo Chacin, outfielder Reed Johnson, closer B.J. Ryan and catcher Gregg Zaun. Eleven Toronto players have spent time on the DL so far in 2007. "It's almost comical when you start thinking about all of the guys that have gone down," Overbay said. "I've never seen anything like this. Hopefully we can get through this and tread water and we'll be getting all of our guys back soon."

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:55 AM   #907
Ksyrup

So the Tigers get a double shot of good news. Fernando Rodney is coming off the DL, and they released Jose Mesa. Now if they can just swing a trade for Eric Gagne and and maybe a solid 6th/7th inning guy, I'd feel much better.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #908
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Gary Sheffield has put his foot so far in his mouth that he's about to hit his gag reflex
Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #909
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Gary Sheffield has put his foot so far in his mouth that he's about to hit his gag reflex

Good god, I read that and was amazed that he said it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #910
Ksyrup

Clemens' MRI shows he has scar tissue injury in right groin

Updated: June 4, 2007, 4:32 PM ET

CHICAGO -- Roger Clemens still hopes to make his 2007 Yankees debut against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Saturday after an MRI exam showed he had a scar tissue injury in his right groin.

Clemens had originally planned to start Monday night at the Chicago White Sox. He scratched himself from the outing on Saturday because of what the Yankees said then was a fatigued groin, an injury that he first felt during a minor league outing May 28.

He had an MRI exam Monday in Tampa, Fla., and Yankees spokesman Jason Zillo and the scan showed Clemens had disrupted scar tissue.

Clemens played catch Monday in the outfield during a 2-hour, 50-minute workout at the Yankees minor league complex. Most of the workout and treatment took place indoors.

He didn't stop to talk with reporters when he departed.

The seven-time Cy Young Award winner plans to throw a bullpen session in Tampa on Wednesday, Zillo said.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-04-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #911
Atocep
Coordinator

Has Bill Simmons done a column about karma and the Yankees yet? If not, I'm disappointed in him.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #912
Ksyrup

They had an article about how both the Yankees and Clemens could walk away from the contract because he is still on a minor league deal. I think what would work best is if he aggravates the groin injury in his start Saturday, misses the bulk of the rest of the season, and the Yankees still end up shelling out $26M between his salary and luxury tax.

Between this and Pettitte's back - which I haven't seen anything about, so maybe it's not a big deal - the Yankees could seriously go down the toilet REALLY quickly.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #913
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... the Yankees could seriously go down the toilet REALLY quickly.
W L Pct GB
24 30 .444 12.5

I think they're already circling the bowl.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #914
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ESPN just had an amazing stat.

The yankees havent won a game without scoring 6 runs since may 6th and they scored 5.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:29 AM   #915
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
W L Pct GB
24 30 .444 12.5

I think they're already circling the bowl.

I'm not ready to pronounce them dead yet. If for no other reason than the fact that I'm enjoying watching them slowly die.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #916
Ksyrup

This is from Gammons' blog:

This is Mike Lowell: On April 20, Courtney Butcher of Leicester, Mass., a freshman at the University of New Hampshire, called her father Jim to talk about the Monster Seats Jim had purchased for the family for our Sunday night game. Lowell was her favorite player. That night, right after talking to her father, Courtney and three friends were killed in an automobile accident. That Sunday night, Jim took his other children to the game. In the four home run inning, Lowell's shot went right to the Butcher family.

The next day, a friend of the family called Sarah Stevenson of the Red Sox, who relayed the message to Lowell, and he signed a uniform with these words: "Courtney, May God Be With You, Rest in Peace." He also sent word to Jim Butcher that he would homer for her. The wake was that Tuesday, April 24, and Lowell's uniform was draped over Courtney's coffin. That night he homered against the Blue Jays.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #917
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Lowell was her favorite player.

There are some sentences which you are never prepared to read.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #918
Atocep
Coordinator

Phillies just had 2 runners on 3rd base. I haven't seen that since I was in little league.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #919
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Marlins rookie Rick Vanden Hurk no-hitting Atlanta through 6 innings.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #920
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Marlins rookie Rick Vanden Hurk no-hitting Atlanta through 6 innings.

He lost the no-no and is now in danger of losing the game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #921
Atocep
Coordinator

This is a great example of why I generally can't stand baseball writers.

Quote:
Tyson Gillies can see line drives off the bat, feel a ball snuggle into his glove, smell fresh-cut grass in centre or taste a victory.
It's that fifth sense which gives him trouble. Well, it gave him trouble for a while.
Gillies is hearing impaired. He has 30% hearing in one ear and 60% in the other.
The Seattle Mariners signed the Kamloops, B.C., resident, selected in the 25th round last June, to a pro contract Wednesday before the midnight deadline. Had he not signed he would have been eligible to re-enter the draft.
Once again baseball is an equal opportunity employer:

Jim Abbott, born without a hand, tosses a no-hitter at Yankee Stadium.

Curtis Pride, born deaf, hits a game-tying, pinch-hit, double for the Montreal Expos in 1993. He says later he heard the cheers ... in his heart.

David Eckstein, told he was too small too often, earns World Series most valuable player honours as the St. Louis Cardinals itty-bitty shortstop in 2006.

hxxp://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Columnists/Elliott_Bob/2007/06/02/4228433.html

I only quoted about 1/3 of the article, but holy christ how does Eckstein compare to Jim Abbott or Curtis Pride?

Last edited by Atocep : 06-05-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #922
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This is a great example of why I generally can't stand baseball writers.

hxxp://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Columnists/Elliott_Bob/2007/06/02/4228433.html

I only quoted about 1/3 of the article, but holy christ how does Eckstein compare to Jim Abbott or Curtis Pride?

lmfao.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #923
Ksyrup

Because he's the little engine that could!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #924
CraigSca
Pro Starter

New Tampa Bay jerseys and name change to be announced after the all-star break. Apparently "Devil" will be dropped and they're changing their colors to blue with yellow accents.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #925
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
New Tampa Bay jerseys and name change to be announced after the all-star break. Apparently "Devil" will be dropped and they're changing their colors to blue with yellow accents.

nothing like a uniform change to reverse years of mismanagment and futility.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #926
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

So they are going to be the Tampa Bay Rays?...

Next thing they will be naming Johnny Ray their new manager...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #927
Ksyrup

This has been in the works since the new ownership group took over. In fact, I think they had already started marketing themselves as the Rays unofficially. I still remember when the Devil Rays name was chosen...the people who were upset with the use of the word "devil" in the name also pointed out that Ray backwards spells Yar, the devil's dog. :o
Old 06-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #928
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
This has been in the works since the new ownership group took over. In fact, I think they had already started marketing themselves as the Rays unofficially. I still remember when the Devil Rays name was chosen...the people who were upset with the use of the word "devil" in the name also pointed out that Ray backwards spells Yar, the devil's dog. :o

OH NOES!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #929
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I am loving baseball now.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #930
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

So, Schilling hasn't allowed a hit or a walk in 6 innings...too bad someone on the Red Sox committed an error. Anyone know who is was? ESPN doesn't say.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #931
Schmidty
Coordinator

Curt Schilling has always been one of my favorite non-Tiger player. Probably a lot of that is the fact that he's a geek, and that he wears his emotions and opinions on his sleeves.

Go Schilling!!!!!!!!!!!

(Watching it on MLB Extra Innings right now. I've never watched a no-hitter. Very exciting.)

Last edited by Schmidty : 06-07-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #932
Schmidty
Coordinator

Woo!

3 more outs!!!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #933
Schmidty
Coordinator

One thought: What kind of idiot A's fans would be rooting for Schilling, when all they need is one run? It's one thing if it's not your team about to be no-hit, but it's another thing in a case like this. I'd be pissed if I were an A's player.

Last edited by Schmidty : 06-07-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #934
Schmidty
Coordinator

2 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #935
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Julio Lugo must be feeling like shit right about now...2 outs left.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #936
Schmidty
Coordinator

1 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #937
Schmidty
Coordinator

And millions of trees cry out in horror, and are then silenced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #938
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

BASE HIT!

Oh well..at least he still has never cheated on his wife.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #939
DeToxRox
Head Coach

<3 Shannon Stewart
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #940
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

SON OF A!!!!!

GRRRRRR @ Shannon Stewart

ah well. The win is the important thing
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #941
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
ah well. The win is the important thing

I concur. At least Schilling pitched well and at least Boston got the win.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:57 PM   #942
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I concur. At least Schilling pitched well and at least Boston got the win.

/tk

of course schill said the same thing.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #943
Ksyrup

Freaking White Sox suck. Absolutely suck. I have more confidence that TB could beat the Yankees than the Sox.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #944
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

sadly as a White Sox fan, I agree. It hurts my heart. heh.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #945
Ksyrup

And I posted that before they turned a 1-run deficit into a 5-run blowout. Freaking ARod!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #946
Buccaneer
Head Coach

PAYBACK!!!!! Unbelievable win by the Pads to sweep the Bums.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #947
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Someone said that ESPN had the Pads #1 in their Power Rankings. I had to force myself to go to that horrid site just to see it because I didn't believe it. Sure enough, the Pads are #1. I then looked at the bottom (Texas) and think back to what is turning out to be one of the most lopsided trade in recent memory.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:39 AM   #948
kingfc22
Head Coach

Giants/A's game just got wild.

Extra innings and Eliazar Alfonzo (backup C) got hurt. Giants now have Randy Winn at 3rd, Pedro Feliz at C and Noah Lowry in RF.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #949
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ever since they were announced, I thought they should have been the Stingrays because Devil Rays just sounded stupid.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-09-2007 at 02:51 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #950
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Clemens' MRI shows he has scar tissue injury in right groin

There's some one-liner to be had here about him being a dick but my writers have gone home for the weekend...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote