Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #9401
Edward64
Head Coach

Can they make him testify against Trump or report Trump's "questionable" dealings?

If it was straight out illegal, I would think so but if it was in the grey area?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #9402
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Ken White (aka Popehat) on why this raid is a big deal:

http://reason.com/archives/2018/04/0...rch-trump-lawy
Old 04-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #9403
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
Guessing it may be related to the Stormy Daniels issue. Cohen’s payment may have violated the Federal Election law since he was associated with the Trump campaign when he made that payment.

I don't know. FEC violations usually result in a slap on the wrist.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #9404
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

WaPo says bank fraud and campaign finance violations.

Cohen's been with Trump for years, if he flips...
Old 04-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #9405
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
WaPo says bank fraud and campaign finance violations.

Cohen's been with Trump for years, if he flips...

If he flips, how much is he allowed to say?
Old 04-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #9406
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
If he flips, how much is he allowed to say?

There are limits to client-attorney privilege. If there were discussions to commit or cover up a crime, then there are no protections in place.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #9407
Thomkal
Head Coach

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/09/polit...hen/index.html

Poor baby, its so unfair. It's like a broken record with him-criticize Jeff Sessions-check, why are they not investigating Hilary-check. badmouth Obama-check, criticize the Justice Department and the FBI-check..
Old 04-09-2018, 07:37 PM   #9408
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
There are limits to client-attorney privilege. If there were discussions to commit or cover up a crime, then there are no protections in place.

Seriously. Otherwise anyone looking to do anything illegal would just have it taken care of through an "attorney."

(Of course, that's probably exactly his logic.)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #9409
RainMaker
General Manager

The US Attorney who filed the search warrant was appointed by Trump.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #9410
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The US Attorney who filed the search warrant was appointed by Trump.

Trump only hires the best people.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:24 AM   #9411
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

http://www.startribune.com/fox-news-mistakenly-posts-graphic-showing-it-lags-in-trust/479130233/

Quote:
"Media Buzz" host Howard Kurtz said on Facebook Monday that the graphic was posted out of sequence. It was later used on the show.

Kurtz was talking about a Monmouth University poll about whether the media regularly or occasionally report fake news.

But the graphic showed results from another question about trust in cable news outlets. Fox News was last at 30 percent.

The Associated Press earlier reported that Kurtz ordered the graphic be taken down, but did not note that it was used again moments later.

Last edited by BBT : 04-10-2018 at 05:26 AM.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:45 AM   #9412
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting chart on news bias

http://www.allgeneralizationsarefals...ermark-min.jpg

You can click on it to make it bigger. Here's the news story linking to it.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...art-2018-02-28
Quote:
Are we even aware of our biases anymore?

If you look at this chart and are convinced your “extreme” source belongs in the middle, you just might be part of the problem plaguing America today.

“In the past, national evening news programs, local evening news programs, and the front pages of print newspapers were dominated by fact-reporting stories,” says the chart’s creator, patent attorney Vanessa Otero. “Now, however, many sources people consider to be ‘news sources’ are actually dominated by analysis and opinion pieces.”

She released the first version of the chart back in 2016, and she’s updated it several times since. Over the past year, it’s gone viral, with thousands of educators at both the high school and college levels using the compelling visual. She says she’s “shocked” by all the attention it’s received and still gets requests every day.

Otero also talked about why such bias is so troubling.

“I think the extremes are very toxic and damaging to the country,” she explained to MarketWatch. “These extreme sources play on people’s worst instincts, like fear and tribalism, and take advantage of people’s confirmation biases.”
Old 04-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #9413
Atocep
Coordinator

I've never heard of the media organizations in the liberal part of the red box. I'm surprised the Daily Beast and Mother Jones are considered fairly accurate, albeit left leaning.

The fact that Fox News, Breitbart, and Info Wars are where they are isn't really a surprise but it's sad when you consider those places are are most Trump supporters get their information. As I heard a Trump supporter say yesterday, "when I see a political commentator described as far right I know he's actually a moderate."
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #9414
mckerney
Coordinator

When will this witch hunt the Democrats are in end?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #9415
mckerney
Coordinator

It looks like Berman actually recused himself. Recusal will make Trump even more upset.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #9416
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

If an innocent man's attorney's office is raided by the FBI, he says, "Wow. Sucks for him. He seemed like a good guy to me. Wonder what he did?" An innocent man doesn't care about attorney-client privilege in this situation; a criminal does.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-10-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #9417
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
When will this witch hunt the Democrats are in end?

The ironic thing is that had Clinton won, Trump would be under much less investigation. I can't see the Clinton DOJ wasting political capital going after Trump and making him look like a martyr.

Basically, Trump keeps getting the screws put to him BECAUSE no Democrats are in charge of the investigation.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #9418
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

If an innocent man's attorney's office is raided by the FBI, he says, "Wow. Sucks for him. He seemed like a good guy to me. Wonder what he did?" An innocent man doesn't care about attorney-client privilege in this situation; a criminal does.

Besides the fact that it indicates how fucking guilty he is for the reasons Ben points out, anyone see something else strange about that tweet?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #9419
mckerney
Coordinator

All I've got is that it's the worst understanding of attorney-client privilege by a Trump since Junior telling Congress a conversation with his father was covered by it because there was a lawyer present.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #9420
digamma
Torchbearer

Ari Fleischer is making a run for having the worst understanding of A-C privilege on twitter right now.

On the first question, he didn't use the right dash?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #9421
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Ari Fleischer is making a run for having the worst understanding of A-C privilege on twitter right now.

On the first question, he didn't use the right dash?

Not so much about right or wrong, but that can typically only be composed through entering a code.

Unless of course you happened to be on the Wiki page for attorney-client privilege to copy/paste from:

Attorney–client privilege - Wikipedia

Last edited by Logan : 04-10-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #9422
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Not so much about right or wrong, but that can typically only be composed through entering a code.

Unless of course you happened to be on the Wiki page for attorney-client privilege to copy/paste from:

Attorney–client privilege - Wikipedia

Clever sleuthing but not so sure about that. Many programs with typing modules will turn two regular dashes into that character if you hit the spacebar after them. Like an autocorrect.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #9423
RainMaker
General Manager

The Facebook hearing is pretty embarrassing. Most of these people don't understand the basics of the internet let alone what Facebook actually does.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #9424
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Most of these guys are just reading verbatim from whatever their lackeys wrote for them. They don't understand what they're even saying.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #9425
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The Facebook hearing is pretty embarrassing. Most of these people don't understand the basics of the internet let alone what Facebook actually does.

More or less embarrassing than the steroid hearings?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #9426
Edward64
Head Coach

Too bad Trump nor Obama gets to go to the wedding.

I think if they invited Obama only, the majority of us would understand it wasn't an insult to the US but a preference not to be with a dick.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #9427
Edward64
Head Coach

I would assume Trump really can't directly fire Mueller and that the courts will back that up eventually.

However, the immediate following such a hypothetical declaration will be very entertaining.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/polit...fbi/index.html
Quote:
Less than 24 hours removed from Donald Trump musing that "many people" have told him he should fire special counsel Robert Mueller, Sarah Sanders made clear that that the White House has researched such a move and believes Trump has the ability to do it.

"He certainly believes he has the power to do so," the White House press secretary said of the President's ability to fire Mueller. "We've been advised that the President certainly has the power to make that decision."

That. Is. A. Big. Deal.

Think about what Sanders is saying here. She is saying that that White House has sought out guidance as to whether Trump can fire the special counsel. And concluded that he can.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-10-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #9428
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

I think if they invited Obama only, the majority of us would understand it wasn't an insult to the US but a preference not to be with a dick.

But Trump is still the president and can do a lot of damage to the UK, so best not to piss him off.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #9429
PilotMan
Head Coach

What happens if Trump fires Rosenstien, fires Sessions, appoints someone who fires Mueller, then the Republicans totally cowtow to him and let him get away with it? The whole thing buckles under and falls apart and Trump just solidifies his entire stance/power/influence? What then?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #9430
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
What happens if Trump fires Rosenstien, fires Sessions, appoints someone who fires Mueller, then the Republicans totally cowtow to him and let him get away with it? The whole thing buckles under and falls apart and Trump just solidifies his entire stance/power/influence? What then?

Which was apparently his plan for Pruitt and why he keeps backing him.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #9431
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

The Democrats dominate the midterms, take over both chambers, open their own investigations and shackle Trump as much as possible?

Last edited by BBT : 04-10-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #9432
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

If not outright impeach him. The whole consolidating his power thing only works so long as he has a reasonably friendly Congress. If Congress is controlled by the Democrats, it wouldn't take a huge amount of Republican defections to simply get rid of him(depending on the magnitude of the majority) and at the very least they'd be able to keep him from getting much done.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #9433
PilotMan
Head Coach

I keep thinking Trump is gonna go all Palpatine and dissolve the parts of government he doesn't like, then declare "elections" for new terms he sets, like Russia.

I know better of course, that things would hold up better than that, but I can't help but think that based on his behavior in office.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #9434
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

yeah they invited no political leaders, including their own prime minister.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #9435
bronconick
College Starter

Supposedly, people have to resign instead of being fired to be able to slide Senate approved Cabinet members without another vote, which is why there was a kerfuffle over the VA director.

Sounds pretty vague, so there would be lawsuits up the wazoo fighting over the newest Saturday Night Massacre
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #9436
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Funny you should say that:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/polit...ler/index.html

And according to the NY Times, threatened to fire Mueller in December:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/10/u...-december.html

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-10-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #9437
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
If not outright impeach him. The whole consolidating his power thing only works so long as he has a reasonably friendly Congress. If Congress is controlled by the Democrats, it wouldn't take a huge amount of Republican defections to simply get rid of him(depending on the magnitude of the majority) and at the very least they'd be able to keep him from getting much done.

They can impeach him, but it won't mean a damn thing without a 2/3 majority in the Senate. They won't get that.

And I'm infinitely more likely to have a threesome with Hayley Atwell and Jennifer Lawrence than Senate Republicans are to vote to remove Trump from office, no matter what "high crime(s) and misdemeanor(s)" he's charged with, or how rock-solid the evidence.

And Trump ain't the sort to be embarrassed or chastised, so even if he were impeached by the House, he'd just keep on Trumping on.

Best the Democrats can hope for from the midterms is to take either the House or the Senate to stymie Trump's agenda and try to take back some state houses and governorships around the country in 2018 (and hold ONTO them in 2020) for redistricting purposes.

That's the pipe dream. That's the "if everything breaks exactly right" goal.

Impeachment isn't even a fart in a tropical breeze by comparison.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:45 PM   #9438
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I'm infinitely more likely to have a threesome with Hayley Atwell and Jennifer Lawrence than Senate Republicans are to vote to remove Trump from office, no matter what "high crime(s) and misdemeanor(s)" he's charged with, or how rock-solid the evidence.

That depends on how much public opinion turns against Trump. He's doing a few points better on that than he was last summer and fall, but if the electorate were to turn against him hard, the Senate would do it to save their political necks. Given the degree to which he's increasingly not listening to his own staff, for better or worse, I don't think it's at all out of the question. If Mueller comes up with anything particularly big/juicy, which is looking increasingly likely, things could change in a right big hurry.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-10-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:32 AM   #9439
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
That depends on how much public opinion turns against Trump. He's doing a few points better on that than he was last summer and fall, but if the electorate were to turn against him hard, the Senate would do it to save their political necks. Given the degree to which he's increasingly not listening to his own staff, for better or worse, I don't think it's at all out of the question. If Mueller comes up with anything particularly big/juicy, which is looking increasingly likely, things could change in a right big hurry.

If Trump's base turns severely against him, maybe.

But here's the thing:

1) If Trump's base hangs with him, any Republicans who cross the aisle to vote to convict, Trump and his supporters WILL target for electoral revenge.

2) Unless a given Senator has political ambitions beyond the Senate, they probably aren't going to take that risk. Tom Cotton voting to convict would probably mean the end of his Senate career, but might give him a platform as a national candidate. I don't think he's a likely candidate to vote to convict, but he's young and ambitious. That's the template.

3) Impeachment, as a concept, is probably irretrievably political in the aftermath of Ken Starr and Bill Clinton. Every President since has either had noises made by members of the opposing party about how they should be impeached, or had members of their own party run on OH NOES DA UDDER SIDE WILL IMPEACH ARE PRESI..PRESI...LEADER GUY ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT THAT in challenging electoral climates.

Once you condition the base to respond that way to accusations of wrongdoing by the other side, it's really hard to get the base of the party currently holding the White House to take impeachment threats seriously.
It's going to get viewed as political (because for the last 20 years, it has been), and so whoever's President would have to seriously piss off their base to give their party's Senators cover to vote to convict.

I mean, I think this is especially true of Donald "I could commit murder in broad daylight and my base would cheer me on" Trump, but I'm under no illusions that the Democratic base would behave any differently.

The other thing, too, is that Trump's spent the last 2+ years conditioning his base to believe that anything mass media reports is "Fake News! Sad!" I mean, there was already conservative distrust of the free press in the 15-20 years Before Trump, but he's cranked that up to 11.

So let's say Mueller sends the Senate a recommendation with something super juicy. Trump is just going to continue to assault Mueller's integrity and complain about how this is all a witch hunt and don't believe anything the media's reporting about what Mueller found because it's all #FakeNews.

And his base will lap that up.

So that's the box Republicans are in. They can't vote to convict in the next seven months to save their majorities, because the base is vanishingly unlikely to turn on Trump to that degree, and the rest of the country will view it as a cynical political play.

If they lose the House, but keep the Senate, Democrats aren't going to send articles of impeachment to the Senate that they know will never be acted upon.

If Republicans lose the Senate but keep the House (and that's less likely than the reverse), they're gonna view sending articles of impeachment to the Senate as handing Democrats a win.

If Democrats somehow win BOTH houses, they aren't going to have the margin to do jack shit without Republican support, and I expect the Senate GOP response to be something like 'if Mueller delivers an impeachable offense, Democrats are going to spin that into grounds to remove Trump as well and that would mean President Pelosi (or whoever) fuck that.' Even if they don't explicitly say that, they're going to recognize that they spent two years giving Trump cover at every turn and doing what they could to protect him, and that turning on him after they've lost the majority isn't going to earn them any brownie points with the public.

Trump isn't getting impeached, let alone removed.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:21 AM   #9440
Thomkal
Head Coach

So the usual Trump tweets this morning-fake media, no collusion (but now no obstruction (other than fighting back)), he had a new message for Russia:

"Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!"
Old 04-11-2018, 07:52 AM   #9441
Thomkal
Head Coach

Paul Ryan not running for re-election.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #9442
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So the usual Trump tweets this morning-fake media, no collusion (but now no obstruction (other than fighting back)), he had a new message for Russia:

"Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!"

This is going to be an interesting day......I am sure Bolton will calm him down though, oh wait.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #9443
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Gotta get that cash!!!
Old 04-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #9444
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I bet he didn’t like what he saw in polling. Randy ‘The Iron Moustache’ Bryce was about to give him a credible challenge from the D side. I wonder if the confirmed white supremacist Paul Nehlen, who got some minor traction against Paul Ryan in the Republican primary, will step up to face the Iron ‘Stache?

I’d put my money on the seat flipping blue.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #9445
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I bet he didn’t like what he saw in polling. Randy ‘The Iron Moustache’ Bryce was about to give him a credible challenge from the D side. I wonder if the confirmed white supremacist Paul Nehlen, who got some minor traction against Paul Ryan in the Republican primary, will step up to face the Iron ‘Stache?

I’d put my money on the seat flipping blue.

Even if he won it looks like he'd be in the minority, and that's no fun. Now's the time to turn that tax cut into a trust fund.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #9446
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

So...did the Democrats force Russia to partner with a "Gas Killing Animal who kills people and enjoys it?"

Last edited by BBT : 04-11-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #9447
bronconick
College Starter

Going a little further back into GOP Speakers: Paul Ryan's retiring. John Boehner's hawking marijuana. Dennis Hastert's in a halfway house after being released from federal prison for charges related to sex crimes, and Newt Gimgrich is at the Vatican as his 3rd wife's + 1. 🙈🙉🙊 https://t.co/RV3G1zeVpr

- Ana Navarro (@ananavarro) April 11, 2018
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #9448
mckerney
Coordinator

So did he just admit to obstructing justice?
Old 04-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #9449
Atocep
Coordinator

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #9450
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ryan not exactly getting praise for his career:

"Paul Ryan" - Twitter Search