Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #9351
clemsonfan
High School JV

I feel like tonight is Christmas Eve. I'm so excited and nervous all in one!
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #9352
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
So since you have disdain for both sides, it cancels out?

Ah, if only we had the time, patience, and wisdom required to have a direct democracy. There are days I wish we had a parliamentary system, it would be more likely to give people real choices at least.

It's funny, the people who still support Bush go on regularly about how awful the "left-wing" Dems are, how the world will end if they're elected and so on. On issues of legitimate substance (Iraq/Imperialism, Taxes/Spending) there's almost no difference.

For example, Obama wants to leave a skeleton crew in Iraq and go to Pakistan while McCain wants to keep everyone where they are. Dems traditionally tax, spend & regulate, but Bush2 has spent more and issued more regulations than any President ever. Big fucking whoop.

There's no pol, save for Ron Paul, that comes anywhere close to representing my views, which in short is leaving people the fuck alone. This is because 1) Every pol gets paid by companies who make money by doing exactly the opposite and 2) Most of the people who want to become pols in the first place are usually not the sort of people who tend leave people be.

So it goes...
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #9353
larrymcg421
Head Coach

This is really sad news...

Obama's grandmother died of cancer. Just one day before he was about to be elected President. I really wish she had been able to see that.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE4A26GV20081103

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's grandmother died of cancer, he said in a statement on Monday, a little more than a week after he interrupted the White House campaign to say goodbye to her in Hawaii.

"It is with great sadness that we announce that our grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, has died peacefully after a battle with cancer," Obama said in a joint statement with his sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng. "She was the cornerstone of our family, and a woman of extraordinary accomplishment, strength and humility."

Dunham, 86, helped raise Obama from the age of 10 while his mother was working in Indonesia, and Obama took an emotional 22-hour trip to Hawaii to visit her on October 23 and 24.

Obama said afterward his grandmother had been flooded with cards, flowers and well-wishes from around the country, and he regularly thanked crowds at his campaign rallies for their prayers.

"Our family wants to thank all of those who sent flowers, cards, well-wishes and prayers during this difficult time," the statement said.

"It brought our grandmother and us great comfort. Our grandmother was a private woman, and we will respect her wish for a small private ceremony to be held at a later date," the statement said.

Dunham had followed Obama's presidential bid with great interest, and her death comes one day before U.S. voters will render their verdict in the race between Obama and Republican John McCain.

Obama affectionately called her "Toot" -- short for "tutu," the Hawaiian word for grandmother -- and frequently spoke of her on the campaign trail.

Dunham had recently broken her hip but the campaign had refused to comment on reports she was suffering from cancer.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 11-03-2008 at 04:12 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #9354
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If it was anything like when my Dad passed the extra few days wouldn't have mattered. I just hope that she was able to recognize him when he went to see her.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #9355
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Why wouldn't I? My assertion is that the actual turnout will not match the voting weights being used by some of these polls. The logical assumption would be that if it turns out to be true, I was probably wrong. I realize that admitting that you're wrong is not a common thing in these kinds of threads, but I'll go out on a limb and do it if need be.

The way you have answered similar questions previously did not come across this way. You said that the election results would not prove the polls correct. I think the problem is that the answer was based on the question of whether a matching percentage win by Obama would prove you wrong. I think my question was more accurate to what people want to know regarding your ability to admit if you were wrong or right.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #9356
larrymcg421
Head Coach

This is unbelievable...

A complaint filed by the California GOP:

Quote:
Obama for America violated federal law by converting its campaign funds to Senator Obama's personal use. Senator Obama recently traveled to Hawaii to visit his sick grandmother...Therefore, the Obama Campaign violated the FEC's ban on "personal use" of campaign funds when it paid over $100,000 for the Campaign's charter to fly to Hawaii without obtaining reimbursement from Senator Obama.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #9357
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
This is unbelievable...

I agree. You'd think somebody in the Obama campaign would have been smarter than to let that happen.

(actually I figure somebody somewhere was smarter than that & had enough sense to make some sort of campaign appearance while there)
Old 11-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #9358
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Well, I see no reason to take the complaint as 100% fact, especially when it comes from complete and utter shitheads that have the nerve to file it when they did.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #9359
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
This is unbelievable...

I can imagine McCain calling California "What the fuck are you guys doing?" Some of these state branches really have no clue.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #9360
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
that have the nerve to file it when they did.

Please, spare the world your angst.

Did Obama take the day off? Did his campaign staff? Then why in the fuck should anyone else? If they had the info & there's a legitimate concern then it's fair game & they would have been remiss not doing so.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #9361
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can imagine McCain calling California "What the fuck are you guys doing?"

Sadly, so can I.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #9362
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Did Obama take the day off? Did his campaign staff? Then why in the fuck should anyone else? If they had the info & there's a legitimate concern then it's fair game & they would have been remiss not doing so.

They should have thought, "Will bringing this to court today be beneficial to my side of the campaign? And if it isn't, did Obama do something wrongful enough to risk my party looking like unsympathetic creeps?"

If they are really concerned about this issue they should have brought it up after the campaign, because they will only make the McCain camp look worse with this.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #9363
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If they are really concerned about this issue they should have brought it up after the campaign, because they will only make the McCain camp look worse with this.

Sorry, but if it isn't a day where Obama takes off then the opposition damned sure shouldn't. Business as usual cuts both ways.

And FTR I'm not suggesting that Obama did anything wrong by continuing with his schedule.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #9364
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Jon, your opinion here doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm not one of the people around here that get shocked when you say something crazy. You have your opinions, they are wildly different than mine, and I fully respect that. So I guess what I'm saying you're kinda wasting your time on this one.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #9365
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I guess what I'm saying you're kinda wasting your time on this one.

That's fine, I've long since lost hope in you regaining any semblance of reason, but I've got as much right to defend the move as you have to criticize it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-03-2008 at 05:32 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #9366
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
That's fine, I've long since lost hope in you regaining any semblance of reason, but I've got as much right to defend the move as you have to criticize it.

I'm a bit bemused by the fact that you apparently thought I had reason at some point. I'm not aware of any position of mine that has wildly changed since I joined FOFC.

And of course you have that right. What I meant was you're wasting your time with the cute "Yeah, I'm shocked" irony bits.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #9367
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

Im sure you were equally pissed learning about the state of AK paying for Palin's kids to take trips with her on business when the kids weren't even invited right? Just want to make sure it's equal in your disdain eventhough Im sure it is.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #9368
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is unbelievable...

Don't worry, these things happen all the time. McCain has pending lawsuits as well. If anything comes of it it will just be a small fine.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #9369
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

With all due respect.
This is why the GOP is behind in the poles, it is just more preaching to the choir.
While the republicans think this is fair game, it looks heartless to most everyone one else and those are the ones McCain needs to swing his way.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #9370
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
and those are the ones McCain needs to swing his way.

And that sort of lack of logic, reason, or common sense is why I don't have any faith in the nation recovering from tomorrow's embarrassing disaster, we're simply too far gone.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #9371
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Im sure you were equally pissed learning about the state of AK paying for Palin's kids to take trips with her on business when the kids weren't even invited right? Just want to make sure it's equal in your disdain eventhough Im sure it is.

Bzzt. Read again Flash.

Did I comment on the claim itself? Nope.
Did I comment on the expenditure? Nope (other than to say I expected it would eventually be tied to something that made it allowable).

My comment was focused on the nauseating whining about the timing of a claim being levied with the appropriate body.

If not giving Saint Obama a free pass on this is already causing heartburn, I can only imagine how much angst we'll see over the next four years.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #9372
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We have our November Surprise!!!

Alaska's Personnel Board finds that Gov. Sarah Palin did not violate ethics law by trying to get her ex-brother-in-law fired.

Wow, I'm sure this clears up everything. It's good to see that she did not do.. wait.. you're telling me this has all been done before... by whom? A bipartisan group? That she did act unethically? Then why did Palin ask for this investigation on this.. oh.. it's done by a board Palin put into place.. ah.. that explains a lot.

(Please try to avoid the dripping sarcasm from my post)
Old 11-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #9373
Flasch186
Coordinator

you at least got me to laugh tonight by buzzing me

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #9374
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And that sort of lack of logic, reason, or common sense is why I don't have any faith in the nation recovering from tomorrow's embarrassing disaster, we're simply too far gone.

Are you saying that there are enough ultra conservatives to elect McCain all by your self?
Have at it....

Otherwise you need moderates and independents, which are disgusted by the GOP trying to take political advantage over a funeral.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #9375
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Well, I'm an independent, and I have nothing but respect for the things John McCain has done in the past. It's his VP Pick that I can't friggin stand.

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #9376
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
This is really sad news...

Obama's grandmother died of cancer. Just one day before he was about to be elected President. I really wish she had been able to see that.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE4A26GV20081103

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's grandmother died of cancer, he said in a statement on Monday, a little more than a week after he interrupted the White House campaign to say goodbye to her in Hawaii.

"It is with great sadness that we announce that our grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, has died peacefully after a battle with cancer," Obama said in a joint statement with his sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng. "She was the cornerstone of our family, and a woman of extraordinary accomplishment, strength and humility."

Dunham, 86, helped raise Obama from the age of 10 while his mother was working in Indonesia, and Obama took an emotional 22-hour trip to Hawaii to visit her on October 23 and 24.

Obama said afterward his grandmother had been flooded with cards, flowers and well-wishes from around the country, and he regularly thanked crowds at his campaign rallies for their prayers.

"Our family wants to thank all of those who sent flowers, cards, well-wishes and prayers during this difficult time," the statement said.

"It brought our grandmother and us great comfort. Our grandmother was a private woman, and we will respect her wish for a small private ceremony to be held at a later date," the statement said.

Dunham had followed Obama's presidential bid with great interest, and her death comes one day before U.S. voters will render their verdict in the race between Obama and Republican John McCain.

Obama affectionately called her "Toot" -- short for "tutu," the Hawaiian word for grandmother -- and frequently spoke of her on the campaign trail.

Dunham had recently broken her hip but the campaign had refused to comment on reports she was suffering from cancer.

RIP.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #9377
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, I'm an independent, and I have nothing but respect for the things John McCain has done in the past. It's his VP Pick that I can't friggin stand.

I figure most people here know where I stand politically, though I must say, McCain's VP pick is a large part of the reason he won't be getting my vote. The other, somewhat shallower reason, is that I don't think he's the same person he was in 2000, when there was a very good chance I'd have voted for him. I'm not sure if it's because he's playing the game, trying to woo those on the far-right, or if it's because he's actually changed, but some of his positions (and his VP choice) scare me. Actually, his VP choice is somewhat insulting to educated women, IMO, but that's a personal thing. Either way, I feel he's changed since 2000, and I won't be voting for him.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #9378
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
Otherwise you need moderates and independents, which are disgusted by the GOP trying to take political advantage over a funeral.

And if they're more disgusted by that than they are by the worthless sack of shit he's running against then they weren't going to vote for him anyway. So where's the vote loss in that exactly?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #9379
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

From the CBS poll today.
Quote:
There is evidence that Palin’s presence on the Republican ticket has hurt McCain with some voters. Fourteen percent of Obama's supporters say they once supported McCain, and the top reason given for their switch was McCain's selection of Palin as his running mate.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #9380
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, let's settle down! After all, after tommorrow, it's over....

Well, until the first republican announces that he's running in 2012. so.. June, July 09 at the latest?

Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #9381
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Yet with all this, the most likely outcome, at this point, seems to be an Obama win by a few percentage points. What conclusions can we draw from this, if any?

RCP has Obama up nationally by 7.3% today. To put that in perspective, since 1960, we've had four elections that did not involve a sitting president and they had the following popular vote spreads:

20000.5%Bush 43
19887.8%Bush 41
19680.7%Nixon
19600.1%Kennedy

Last edited by Daimyo : 11-03-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #9382
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Op-Ed Columnist - The Republican Rump - NYTimes.com

Interesting article from Paul Krugman today:

But the G.O.P.’s long transformation into the party of the unreasonable right, a haven for racists and reactionaries, seems likely to accelerate as a result of the impending defeat.

This will pose a dilemma for moderate conservatives. Many of them spent the Bush years in denial, closing their eyes to the administration’s dishonesty and contempt for the rule of law. Some of them have tried to maintain that denial through this year’s election season, even as the McCain-Palin campaign’s tactics have grown ever uglier. But one of these days they’re going to have to realize that the G.O.P. has become the party of intolerance
Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #9383
DanGarion
Coordinator

PalinAsPresident.com
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #9384
molson
General Manager

Quote:
We have our November Surprise!!!

Alaska's Personnel Board finds that Gov. Sarah Palin did not violate ethics law by trying to get her ex-brother-in-law fired.

Wow, I'm sure this clears up everything. It's good to see that she did not do.. wait.. you're telling me this has all been done before... by whom? A bipartisan group? That she did act unethically? Then why did Palin ask for this investigation on this.. oh.. it's done by a board Palin put into place.. ah.. that explains a lot.

(Please try to avoid the dripping sarcasm from my post)

All the news reports I read say the board was chosen by her predecessor.

Not that it matters, ANY outcome, of ANY group would have a predictable reaction from the closed-minded liberals who can't see anything except Obama = correct 100% of the time, Palin/McCain = wrong 100% of the time.

I wonder how long the honeymoon period last for Obama. At this rate I say he gets 6 years before the gloss wears off.

Last edited by molson : 11-03-2008 at 07:57 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #9385
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Not that it matters, ANY outcome, of ANY group would have a predictable reaction from the closed-minded liberals who can't see anything except Obama = correct 100% of the time, Palin/McCain = wrong 100% of the time.

More like, the bipartisan group had already issued a six hundred or so page paper (in a state that's what, 56/44 R at best, 60/40 R at worst?) indicating that Palin HAD acted unethically, about a month ago? Kinda like closing the barn door after the horses and the rest of the walls have been sucked into a tornado, don't you think?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #9386
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Op-Ed Columnist - The Republican Rump - NYTimes.com

Interesting article from Paul Krugman today:

But the G.O.P.’s long transformation into the party of the unreasonable right, a haven for racists and reactionaries, seems likely to accelerate as a result of the impending defeat.

This will pose a dilemma for moderate conservatives. Many of them spent the Bush years in denial, closing their eyes to the administration’s dishonesty and contempt for the rule of law. Some of them have tried to maintain that denial through this year’s election season, even as the McCain-Palin campaign’s tactics have grown ever uglier. But one of these days they’re going to have to realize that the G.O.P. has become the party of intolerance
I find it ironic that the GOP is always looked up as intolerant, yet I can't remember an anti-affirmative action black person or a pro-life woman who received any tolerance from the left (both are fairly significant portions of society).

It will be interesting to see how "tolerant" Obama and the democrats are on opposing viewpoints in the next 2-4 years - especially in regards to things like the fairness doctrine, gun control, domestic drilling/energy production and school vouchers. It's all fine to rip on Bush for being intolerant when you are out of power, the key is are you willing to be tolerant of opposing viewpoints once you are in power (esp with super majorities in both houses).
Old 11-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #9387
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Sadly, so can I.

It's a human decency thing. You'd never understand.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #9388
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i don't want them to be tolerant on stupid things though (i.e. domestic drilling)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #9389
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

It will be interesting to see how "tolerant" Obama and the democrats are on opposing viewpoints in the next 2-4 years - especially in regards to things like the fairness doctrine, gun control, domestic drilling/energy production and school vouchers. It's all fine to rip on Bush for being intolerant when you are out of power, the key is are you willing to be tolerant of opposing viewpoints once you are in power (esp with super majorities in both houses).

There won't be any. Even if Obama is really looking to make changes and try to increase cooperation between the parties, the rest of the government is still filled with the same assholes that have always been there. With a supermajority, Republicans will be the vocal minority, most likely watching in horror as the Democrats pass their pet projects at will.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #9390
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Pumpy must hate Obama now.
Did he say he's a Rangers fan or something?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #9391
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Obama supports an eight team college football playoff. I'm ready to vote for change.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #9392
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Obama supports an eight team college football playoff. I'm ready to vote for change.
Something we can agree on
Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 PM   #9393
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Interesting. It appears that the Minneapolis Star Tribune is endorsing Norm Coleman for Senator, even as they endorse Obama for President:

kare11.com | Twin Cities, MN | Star Tribune endorses Barack Obama, Norm Coleman

Quote:
The Star Tribune of Minneapolis is endorsing Democratic Sen. Barack Obama for president but it joins the St. Paul Pioneer Press in supporting the incumbent Republican in Minnesota's senate race.
"The Star Tribune endorsement of Norm Coleman is a little short of shocking," U of M Humphrey Institute Political Analyst Larry Jacobs said.
Jacobs says while the Pioneer Press has a history of backing Republican U.S. Senate candidates, the Star Tribune historically backs Democratic candidates.
Republican sources tell KARE 11 the last time they can remember the Strib backing a Republican candidate for a U.S. Senate seat was 1988, when editors supported Dave Durenberger.
"To have both the major newspapers in Minnesota endorsing Norm Coleman is clearly a major boost for his candidacy. The question is, does this come too late and will it be enough?" Jacobs wondered.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #9394
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, it's time... (I'll modify slightly the traditional starting message for the Indy 500 for this Election 270)

Gentlemen, and Mrs Palin.. START YOUR ELECTION!

First town weighs in on election at midnight - CNN.com

(20 voters in New Hampshire are casting the first votes of election day right now.

They'll also be the first election precinct to close, the law states they can close once all eligible voters have voted
Old 11-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #9395
Tigercat
College Starter

Ha, Dicks-ville. I guess if you don't want to be up at midnight to vote in that town you get thrown out of town.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #9396
Tigercat
College Starter

Wow, Dicks-ville hasn't gone Democrat in 40 years and Obama creams McCain there.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:13 PM   #9397
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

what was the count, TC?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #9398
Tigercat
College Starter

15-6 Obama.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #9399
Lathum