Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #9201
Edward64
Head Coach

Hospitals rejecting transplant patient if they (and donor) do not get vaccinated. Video didn't play for me so not sure if I have the full context.

Overall, I'm okay with this. I can see the rationale because transplant kidney is valuable so give it to someone else who is willing to (1) trust science and (2) shows some responsibility for wanting to take care of him/herself.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/20...id-vaccine.cnn
Quote:
A patient in dire need of a kidney transplant was told that if she and her donor refuse the Covid vaccine, she will be denied the procedure. Dr. Sanjay Gupta explains that vaccines help survival rates.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #9202
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

One of my gaming friends is in the hospital right now recovering from Covid. He was a kidney transplant recipient a few years ago, and was encouraged to get a vaccine vut refused. Spent a week on a ventilator and is very lucky not to be dead.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #9203
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Southwest Airlines with massive delays. Strong indication that it is a "sickout" by employees against the vaccine mandate.

So the workers finally discover they have power, and they use it for such a stupid reason.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #9204
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

Not sure when the firing date is for employees who aren't vaxxed.

If the Southwest people are like other MAGA, 99% of them will fold when forced to actually suffer a consequence for their position. But, like other MAGA, they are going to make life really annoying for everyone else before they do.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:13 PM   #9205
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Southwest Airlines with massive delays. Strong indication that it is a "sickout" by employees against the vaccine mandate.

So the workers finally discover they have power, and they use it for such a stupid reason.

Airline workers are governed by the NRLB; they can only strike if it's approved (another republican gift), and any sort of coordinated "sick out" or anything that is even hinted at by the union can land union leadership in jail. So...the only thing they can do is just call in sick on their own. It's virtually nothing in terms of leverage.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:45 AM   #9206
Edward64
Head Coach

Lots of polls/charts on whether parents will let kids be vaccinated. If I had a kid, I would probably fall under the maybe category for now. Don't need my kid to be an early adopter but probably in 3-4 months.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/childre...-opinion-poll/
(can't insert the poll for whatever reason but vaccinated & unvaccinated parents are 26-27% maybe for kids)

On reasons why not yet vaccinated

Old 10-11-2021, 11:41 AM   #9207
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Eh, most of those reasons change when it's convenient. Fealty to Trump/party should be on the list of reasons as it is by far the most popular.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #9208
PilotMan
Head Coach

That poll has some completely fucked data.

Like Steam?

Old 10-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #9209
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

There is a weird thing in this country where a business is run poorly and we blame everyone else but the business for it being poorly run.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #9210
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Eh, most of those reasons change when it's convenient. Fealty to Trump/party should be on the list of reasons as it is by far the most popular.

Yeah - I think at this point we know that the vaccine hesitancy and Trump Venn diagrams are not perfectly a circle but they're not the far away either.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:12 AM   #9211
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Lots of polls/charts on whether parents will let kids be vaccinated. If I had a kid, I would probably fall under the maybe category for now. Don't need my kid to be an early adopter but probably in 3-4 months.

My kid's getting the shot as soon as available. If this follows a pattern similar to last year (not guaranteed at all), we're going to go into a lull for the next month or two and then start climbing again.

There's increasing evidence about significant increases in a lot of long term effects in kids, in particular, type 1 diabetes.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-12-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:25 AM   #9212
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Same. My son is 16 months old and as soon as he can get the shot, we'll get in line.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #9213
molson
General Manager

6.56 billion COVID vaccine shots have been given at this point, I'm definitely more concerned about anything I order at a restaurant than getting a shot. Hopefully I can get my Pfizer booster soon, a lot of people around me are now.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #9214
Arles
Grey Dog Software

We got caught in the Southwest vortex on Sunday (had our San Fran - Phoenix flight cancelled). We switched to a monday flight (that also got cancelled) and settled on an American flight that got delayed from 2:15 to 6:30 (finally got home at 8:15 last night).

We talked with a bunch of people during this and here's what I can discern:

1. Southwest has been massively overbooking flights to staff and then consolidating/cancelling flights as they get closer to the date. As one guy said, imagine you have 12 flights from LAX to Phoenix. They only have the staff for 8 so they cut down to 8 flights and move people in the other four to those flights. In most cases, this means you go from leaving at 4 PM to leaving at 3:30 or 5:00 PM.
2. Some people (seems like in the southeast) called in sick over the weekend knowing it would screw the airline. Some say it's people that won't get Vaxed and want to use their sicktime before the mandated date (when they lose it if they are let go).
3. This weekend was an extremely busy weekend for fliers. Between fall break and Columbus day, a lot of people ended up flying.

So, if you add it all up, you had nearly all of the "overbooked" flights full, fewer people because of the sick call outs, your normal weather issues and a ton of people trying to fly. That equated a shit show for those of us traveling (esp using Southwest).
Old 10-12-2021, 07:55 PM   #9215
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There should be regulations against airlines booking flights and cancelling them or moving them later without some sort of FAA approved delay. We got moved three times on a flight from JAX to LAG and none of them had anything to do with weather or mechanical problems.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:04 PM   #9216
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Multiple sources with direct knowledge of Irving’s decision have told The Athletic that Irving is not anti-vaccine and that his stance is that he is upset that people are losing their jobs due to vaccine mandates. It’s a stance that Irving has explained to close teammates. To him, this is about a grander fight than the one on the court and Irving is challenging a perceived control of society and people’s livelihood, according to sources with knowledge of Irving’s mindset. It is a decision that he believes he is capable to make given his current life dynamics. “Kyrie wants to be a voice for the voiceless,” one source said.

From the news breaking that Kyrie won't play until vaccinated. He continues to show he's nothing more than a professional contrarian. And does he really think the anti-vaxxers and those against the mandates are the voiceless? They're loudest people in our society right now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #9217
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

He's a fucking idiot
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:27 PM   #9218
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

With all the other anti-science cuckoo beliefs Kyrie holds, we're really supposed to also believe he isn't anti-vax? I guess kudos to his publicity team for this story.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:38 PM   #9219
21C
College Prospect

Australia started our vaccination program quite late - mainly because infection rates were quite low and it wasn't deemed as a pressing need. Progress was fairly slow until around June-July of this year when infections spiked in Sydney and lockdowns returned. Many of the vaccines were diverted to Sydney and its state of NSW (New South Wales). Lockdown measures are only now being relaxed in NSW primarily for those that are double-vaxxed - we have only used vaccines that required two doses. Much of the rest of the country has avoided outbreaks due to hard borders between certain states. Melbourne and its state of Victoria are now experiencing a major outbreak.

As a result of vaccine requirements needed for the easing of restrictions, NSW has achieved a rate of 90.8% of people over the age of 16 (children over the age of 12 are eligible) having received at least one dose and 75.2% receiving both doses.

Across Australia, the figures are 82.8% (1 dose) and 63.4% (2 doses).

We are expecting an uptick in cases but hopefully a reduction in cases requiring hospitalization.

Singapore has been spoken about as a model for us since its population (5.6M) is similar to NSW (8.1M). They achieved 80% double vaccination and reduced restrictions. Unfortunately they are seeing a rise in Covid deaths so we will see how it pans out for us.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:45 AM   #9220
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
From the news breaking that Kyrie won't play until vaccinated. He continues to show he's nothing more than a professional contrarian. And does he really think the anti-vaxxers and those against the mandates are the voiceless? They're loudest people in our society right now.

See what happens when we ask for more than "It's a personal choice."?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #9221
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
Australia started our vaccination program quite late - mainly because infection rates were quite low and it wasn't deemed as a pressing need. Progress was fairly slow until around June-July of this year when infections spiked in Sydney and lockdowns returned. Many of the vaccines were diverted to Sydney and its state of NSW (New South Wales). Lockdown measures are only now being relaxed in NSW primarily for those that are double-vaxxed - we have only used vaccines that required two doses. Much of the rest of the country has avoided outbreaks due to hard borders between certain states. Melbourne and its state of Victoria are now experiencing a major outbreak.

As a result of vaccine requirements needed for the easing of restrictions, NSW has achieved a rate of 90.8% of people over the age of 16 (children over the age of 12 are eligible) having received at least one dose and 75.2% receiving both doses.

Across Australia, the figures are 82.8% (1 dose) and 63.4% (2 doses).

We are expecting an uptick in cases but hopefully a reduction in cases requiring hospitalization.

Singapore has been spoken about as a model for us since its population (5.6M) is similar to NSW (8.1M). They achieved 80% double vaccination and reduced restrictions. Unfortunately they are seeing a rise in Covid deaths so we will see how it pans out for us.

I read about Singapore and thought maybe they had the Tier-2 vaccines like the Sino ones. They did use them early on but they are now on the Pfizer & Moderna.

Yeah, they are still struggling but wonder if they (and Australia) had unrealistic expectations. I think its inevitable that there will be elevated deaths ... the question is how much is okay. I don't know what is acceptable but this is the new normal.

It'll be an interesting "experiment" in Australia to see how well you guys handle this.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #9222
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Can we somehow alter time so that I can see what Jordan would do if Pippen refused to be vaccinated?
Old 10-13-2021, 05:30 PM   #9223
Edward64
Head Coach

Never really thought much about TSA but guess the 40% lines up with national average. I do hope the customer facing ones have been vaccinated and that policy has been in place for a while.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/13/polit...ine/index.html
Quote:
The Transportation Security Administration says 4-in-10 members of its workforce, including screeners, remain unvaccinated against Covid-19 as its deadline looms.

The deadline for civilian federal government workers to be fully vaccinated is November 22 -- the Monday before Thanksgiving, one of the busiest travel times of the year.

"We have about 60% of our workforce has been vaccinated, that that number needs to go quite a bit higher over the next few weeks," TSA Administrator David Pekoske told CNN in an exclusive interview.

The November 22 deadline for being fully vaccinated is still six weeks away, but the deadlines for receiving the vaccines are rapidly approaching or, in the case of the Moderna vaccine, have already passed, since an individual has to receive the full schedule of doses and wait two weeks before being considered fully vaccinated.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:43 PM   #9224
PilotMan
Head Coach

TSA ain't exactly pulling from the top deck of the employment pool.

Like Steam?

Old 10-14-2021, 05:15 AM   #9225
Edward64
Head Coach

3 hour battle royale - Rogan vs Gupta

Nice write up. Have to look up if Rogan had his own post mortem.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/13/healt...nce/index.html
Old 10-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #9226
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So my wife just read me a story about a 10 year old Texas kid who developed a rare condition after contracting Covid that restricted the ability of his heart to pump enough blood to support his extremities, resulting in him developing gangrene in his legs. Doctors told his mom that if they amputated his arms/legs, he had a 25% chance of survival, but no chance of survival if they didn't amputate. The mom decided to "let him go" rather than amputate.

Like... that's a choice?! That sounds like something you'd be given the option of regarding a pet, not a human. I'm not trying to downplay the quality of life issues a quadriplegic 10 year old would have growing up and living in that condition, but holy hell! I didn't realize that was even an option. I hope there is more to the story, because keeping your kid alive as an otherwise alert and functional human who just happens to not have limbs would certainly be preferable to letting him die. The mom apparently couched in "the most humane and compassionate thing for him" but I can't help but be a little judgmental here. Again, maybe there's more to the story but that just comes off as more of a "I don't want the burden of care" or "he won't be able to grow up as I imagined he would" decision.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-15-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:38 PM   #9227
bronconick
College Starter

Wonder if it's the same condition as this one in West Michigan

11-year-old with ‘uplifting spirit’ recovers from quadruple amputation due to COVID-19 linked syndrome - mlive.com
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:18 PM   #9228
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Old 10-15-2021, 07:53 PM   #9229
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSyrup
Like... that's a choice?! That sounds like something you'd be given the option of regarding a pet, not a human. I'm not trying to downplay the quality of life issues a quadriplegic 10 year old would have growing up and living in that condition, but holy hell! I didn't realize that was even an option. I hope there is more to the story, because keeping your kid alive as an otherwise alert and functional human who just happens to not have limbs would certainly be preferable to letting him die. The mom apparently couched in "the most humane and compassionate thing for him" but I can't help but be a little judgmental here. Again, maybe there's more to the story but that just comes off as more of a "I don't want the burden of care" or "he won't be able to grow up as I imagined he would" decision.

This times infinity. I'm with you all the way on this, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:57 AM   #9230
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So my wife just read me a story about a 10 year old Texas kid who developed a rare condition after contracting Covid that restricted the ability of his heart to pump enough blood to support his extremities, resulting in him developing gangrene in his legs. Doctors told his mom that if they amputated his arms/legs, he had a 25% chance of survival, but no chance of survival if they didn't amputate. The mom decided to "let him go" rather than amputate.

There's got to be more to this story (e.g. maybe vegetative state). I don't see how this can be legal if otherwise.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:17 PM   #9231
Atocep
Coordinator

I guess this is where we're at in some areas.

Florida School: Vaxxed Kids Must Stay Home for 30 Days After Each Dose
Old 10-17-2021, 02:44 PM   #9232
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

When the aliens eventually get here, I wonder what they'll think. Will it be "sigh, we've seen this play out on so many worlds with so many undeveloped civilizations" or "dear god, what was with these hu-mans".

SI

Old 10-17-2021, 03:30 PM   #9233
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

The school has a history of anti vax positions.

Parent speaks out after pulling child from Centner Academy

Like Steam?

Old 10-17-2021, 03:35 PM   #9234
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It's pants-shittingly stupid. But as a private school, they should pretty much be able to do what they want, IMO.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #9235
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
It's pants-shittingly stupid. But as a private school, they should pretty much be able to do what they want, IMO.

It's a bit off topic, but you're statement begs the question, since homeschooling is accepted and allowed, are you ok with parents teaching whatever they want? Even if it's nothing?

Like Steam?

Old 10-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #9236
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

If they were truly a private school I'd agree. However, they took nearly a million dollars in covid funds and receive state funds through scholarships. They can go fuck themselves.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:05 PM   #9237
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If they were truly a private school I'd agree. However, they took nearly a million dollars in covid funds and receive state funds through scholarships. They can go fuck themselves.

Yeah, our definition of "private school" seems to have changed a lot. Now it's just a school that relies on public funds but can do whatever they want to turn a profit.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:20 PM   #9238
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Nick Rolovich worked his whole life to be head coach of a major program, even if it is Wazzou, and he just got let go because he refused to be vaccinated. Unreal.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:44 PM   #9239
Atocep
Coordinator

Moving my comment from the CFB thread to here since it probably fits this thread a bit better.

As funny as it is that it's happening to Wazzu, it's probably the best thing that could have happened to them. Dude's a Q-Supporting weirdo.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:55 AM   #9240
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Individual instances of people quitting jobs over vaccine mandates is going to get a lot of media attention b/c it is strong clickbait. (In fairness to this story, though, a D1 coach doing it is pretty newsworthy).

But don't let that attention obscure the fact that the mandates are working. People are getting the shot instead of getting fired.

Vaccine mandates are working, with vaccination rates topping 90% : NPR

We are talking 99%+ in some instances.

The vaccine protestors are the loudest. But most of us just want to go to work.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #9241
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Nick Rolovich worked his whole life to be head coach of a major program, even if it is Wazzou, and he just got let go because he refused to be vaccinated. Unreal.

$3million per year!!!! Unreal is right.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #9242
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
$3million per year!!!! Unreal is right.

I’m guessing he likely doesn’t embrace analytics
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #9243
molson
General Manager

There's a lot of things much less helpful than a COVID vaccine I would inject for $3 million a year.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #9244
PilotMan
Head Coach

No kidding, what a fucking dumbass.

Like Steam?

Old 10-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #9245
Kodos
Resident Alien

Lotta highly-paid coaches losing their jobs due to stupidity recently. Can Urban be far behind?

Last edited by Kodos : 10-19-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #9246
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Lotta highly-paid coaches losing their jobs due to stupidity recently. Can Urban be far behind?

I think Urban *really* wants to go back to CFB where he can be a dictator and not have all these team owners telling him what he can and can't do.

But he's also not going to resign and lose that money.

A negotiated settlement with the Jags in the offseason seems like a win/win for everyone.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #9247
Kodos
Resident Alien

I wish everyone would just agree to a "No More Urban" pact.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #9248
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Seems like a nice way to get out of a bad contract. Power 5 gigs don't grow on trees.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #9249
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

There's a lot of things I wouldn't do for $3 million. I think the allure of that money is overrated. People who are driven enough run a college football program are probably not doing it only for the money. What that job requires mandates a certain kind of person, and it's certainly clear that arrogance and stubbornness often go along for the ride. They may even be assets to a degree. Nothing about this surprises me.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:48 AM   #9250
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They keep needing a stronger hit of anti-vax conspiracy. It's like a drug when the user develops a tolerance.

"They're putting eggs in people's bodies."