Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #9151
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Headed to Atlantic City tonight. If I go missing, tell them to start looking for my body there.

I'll never forget you.....uh.......hmm....the hell was her name? Oh well. Stripper from Trinidad, I'll never forget you. You were mad hot.

A shame you're dead inside and don't have a soul.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #9152
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I think I speak for everybody when I say, "Fuck."

Yep, sorry to hear that man. I feel for those kids. Gonna have to grow up real fast.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #9153
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

That's what I needed...a nice glass of scotch!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #9154
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
That's what I needed...a nice glass of scotch!

i'll drink to that!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #9155
sabotai
General Manager

I tried hummus at dinner for the first time last night. I am now a fan.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #9156
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'm convinced that I would have an easier time adopting a child than I would a dog.

My last dog passed away in 2009 after 16 1/2 years. At the time our daughter was only 2 and we wanted to wait until she was older. Flash forward to now when we've decided we wanted a dog and we wanted to adopt a dog rather than buy one from a breeder. Either we are just picking the absolute wrong rescue agencies or this is 'normal'.

We've encountered everything from requirements of the foster places that there are no children, children are a certain age, credit checks, background checks equal to as if we were leasing a house, in home inspections, financial requirements, 5 day trial runs where they determine if the dog agrees to live there (according to them.. the dog chooses the family, the family doesn't choose the dog. I guess it is like a wand in Harry Potter or something...) and agreements that you need to give updates and agree that they can visit their 'babies' when they want or any combination of the above.

I understand that they want to make sure that you aren't running a dog fighting ring or that the breed that you are interested in will fit in to your household, but I'm not agreeing to give you my social security number, I'm not bringing in a pet where you can decide to come in at your leisure to remove the dog because the dog tells you he isn't happy and I'm not agreeing that you can come over whenever you like and that I give you updates and pictures.

It's frustrating to say the least. Unfortunately it appears that we are just going to have to do the one thing we didn't want to do and that is to go to a breeder.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #9157
Izulde
Head Coach

You're looking in the wrong places.

Yes, there's a lot of places now that do require home inspection and all that stuff, but there are still places where none of that red tape is required.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #9158
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
You're looking in the wrong places.

My wife has been doing the searches. Primarily I think she is using petfinder.com and pettango or something like that. (And local humane societies although, most of the humane societies haven't had breeds that we would be comfortable with. LOTs of Pit bulls)

Anyone else have any sites for the Midwest, would love to have them. We are ok with driving around 200 miles in a radius to find a dog
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 07-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #9159
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
My wife has been doing the searches. Primarily I think she is using petfinder.com and pettango or something like that. (And local humane societies although, most of the humane societies haven't had breeds that we would be comfortable with. LOTs of Pit bulls)

Anyone else have any sites for the Midwest, would love to have them. We are ok with driving around 200 miles in a radius to find a dog

Why not go to your nearest county animal shelter?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #9160
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cause 90% of the dogs are pitbull variations?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #9161
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Cause 90% of the dogs are pitbull variations?

Some of this mixed with much older dogs. We have concerns about an older pet meshing with our child, our cat and training. Plus adoptions costs are higher at our humane society vs some rescue places. (Min $299+ up to 499 + tax..). We do look though.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #9162
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I tried humans at dinner for the first time last night. I am now a fan.

In other news, I got my purebred black lab at a shelter. (Unofficial purebred, but the vet said he didn't see any other breed there & he has the defects associated with over-breeding.)
Old 07-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #9163
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

http://www.safeharborhumanesociety.o...able-dogs.aspx

I know they don't require home visits or anything extensive like that. Not sure how far from Kenosha you are, though. Yes, they have a lot of pit bulls, but they have a fair number of other breeds, too. For example, Dozer, the dog my parents got around last Christmastime from here, is a boxer/golden lab mix.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #9164
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
http://www.safeharborhumanesociety.o...able-dogs.aspx

I know they don't require home visits or anything extensive like that.

Thanks much. Not too far from Kenosha (up in West Bend)
Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #9165
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Parades suck
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #9166
Izulde
Head Coach

I can see why design documents are strongly encouraged. Really helps crystallize ideas.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #9167
Dutch
"Dutch"

Received my textbooks in the mail for my last college classes. Still a couple of months of night school to go, but almost done.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #9168
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good deal. I know how relieved I was when I finished school and could get on with life

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #9169
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Good deal. I know how relieved I was when I finished school and could get on with life

SI

Life? You mean, there's more to it than work and school? Yes!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #9170
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

No, usually, it just means there's more work and less school but it's a different balance

SI

Old 07-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #9171
Dutch
"Dutch"

ha!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #9172
spleen1015
Coordinator

Connecting to s48.sitemeter.com...

WTF?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #9173
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

People need to put actual messages on their voicemail.

I called someone back & left a message. When I didn't hear back I checked. Called the wrong person. How was I to realize, when there is just the generic "You have reached ###-###-####"

Give your name, people!

(Bet the former coworker I left the message for wondered why I was telling her my sister was coming over with her kids, so I would be unavailable this afternoon."
Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #9174
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't understand the revolution trailer where all the electricity has turned off and people are fighting with swords and crossbows. Do all the guns in this world run on electricity as well?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #9175
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I am confused, the media would have me believe that the economy is in the tank and no one is doing anything as far as buying.

I was out car shopping with the GF this week and OMG, every dealership we went to was packed to the gills and the salesmen were running. The only place people weren't buying a lot at was the Nissan dealership.

The Ford dealership, our guy closed 4 deals in the process of us test driving 2 cars, leaving to test drive a few more cars and coming back and signing the paper work on the Edge. He was floored, and he had 2 more lined up while we were signing.

I have honestly never seen car salesmen run, and they were at the Ford dealership.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #9176
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I am confused, the media would have me believe that the economy is in the tank and no one is doing anything as far as buying.

I was out car shopping with the GF this week and OMG, every dealership we went to was packed to the gills and the salesmen were running. The only place people weren't buying a lot at was the Nissan dealership.

The Ford dealership, our guy closed 4 deals in the process of us test driving 2 cars, leaving to test drive a few more cars and coming back and signing the paper work on the Edge. He was floored, and he had 2 more lined up while we were signing.

I have honestly never seen car salesmen run, and they were at the Ford dealership.

End of model year specials and financing deals, most likely.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #9177
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

Just looking at June numbers, car sales are way up, 25% from June of last year.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #9178
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
End of model year specials and financing deals, most likely.

Yeah, I've seen a ton of 5yr/0% offers (many with incentives on top of that) lately.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #9179
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Yeah, I've seen a ton of 5yr/0% offers (many with incentives on top of that) lately.

Now is the time of year for that sort of thing. Dealerships are desperate to clear stock with the 2013s arriving shortly. I've bought my last two cars in July/August in order to take advantage of the end of model year deals.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #9180
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I know Ford had a really strong period a couple months ago, and they said they might have to start hiring again.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #9181
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I don't understand the revolution trailer where all the electricity has turned off and people are fighting with swords and crossbows. Do all the guns in this world run on electricity as well?

I don't know yet what they're saying about guns, but it's pretty much a complete ripoff of SM Stirling's Die The Fire series.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #9182
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Woke up this morning to a boom and then yelling, but I half asleep thought it must be the neighbors (thought it was a car door.) Laid there, and then heard another boom, and thought, "The hell.. sounded shotgunish.. peaked through the blinds and saw the neighbors garage fully engulfed in flames. A very intense fire. Bolted from my bed and out the front door and as I was running towards their house I saw them come running out the front door. The yelling was a neighbor lady on the phone with 911 freaking out because they had not come out yet.

Was kind of surreal standing there with two guys, one holding his child, watching their garage (with both their vehicles inside) just burn before the police got there. Just silence other then shit exploding/popping in the garage. and who knows the damage to the house. News reporting damage >$100K. Thankfully they were alright. 6:45 in the AM, so they could have easily not woken up till it was too late.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 07-30-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #9183
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wow, hope they have insurance
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #9184
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't know yet what they're saying about guns, but it's pretty much a complete ripoff of SM Stirling's Die The Fire series.

This. And it's an awesome book series (at least if you ignore the sillyness that comes in with the whole Nantucket thing and just focus on the people and their lives).
Old 07-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #9185
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Wow, hope they have insurance

You're such an insurance-company worker. And I don't mean that in a bad way.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #9186
Grover
Pro Starter

Anyone else frequent the NY Times, but hate their paywall on the number of stories you can use per month?

Add this to the end of any URL on their page: ?_r=1&pagewanted=all

You're welcome.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #9187
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Anyone else frequent the NY Times, but hate their paywall on the number of stories you can use per month?

Add this to the end of any URL on their page: ?_r=1&pagewanted=all

You're welcome.

Good call. I'll add another workaround for Chrome users:

Pull up the homepage in a regular window, but right-click and open your articles in an incognito window.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #9188
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
People need to put actual messages on their voicemail.

I called someone back & left a message. When I didn't hear back I checked. Called the wrong person. How was I to realize, when there is just the generic "You have reached ###-###-####"

Give your name, people!

(Bet the former coworker I left the message for wondered why I was telling her my sister was coming over with her kids, so I would be unavailable this afternoon."

I'll counter with "in most cases, leaving a voice mail is a waste of time for every one involved"
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:49 AM   #9189
Passacaglia
Coordinator

The news reported the amount of damage on a fire involving one house?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #9190
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

Heh... maybe they only reported the amount of damage from the fire itself, but because Scoobz knows it was all in one house, he knows all the damage is to that house?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #9191
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Is there a general thread to discuss media moves? My random thought is I'm so freaking glad to hear that Doug Gottleib has left ESPN. He rubs me the wrong way. Just can't stand his Dane Cook-like sarcastic/know-it-all delivery.

But I also see Pete Thamel left NYT for SI, and Brett McMurphy left CBS for ESPN. Lots of movement going on.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #9192
Logan
Head Coach

Funny you mention that, I composed a new thread this morning titled "ESPN Fail" in reference to another on air mistake they made, but ultimately pulled the plug on it. I like to laugh over some of their issues, and I always end up posting them into random threads where they may fit.

Maybe we should start a catch-all Sports Media thread.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #9193
Logan
Head Coach

The Sports Media Thread - Front Office Football Central
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #9194
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

Not that unusual really. I picked a figure at random ($250k) and Googled "fire causes 250,000 damage to house".

See the results for yourself.
fire causes 250,000 damage to house - Google Search
Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #9195
DanGarion
Coordinator

I got my fucking job! Oh man this was a terrible month, but fortunately it has ended on a high note! Glad to stay employed at TWC.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #9196
spleen1015
Coordinator

GARTS!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #9197
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Congrats!

SI

Old 07-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #9198
DanGarion
Coordinator

If anyone thought I was any more of a jerk, smart ass, or idiot this month than usual, in some treads blame my stress created from my job. I apologize.

Last edited by DanGarion : 07-31-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #9199
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's less fun that blaming your personality

Oh wait, that's me

SI

Old 07-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #9200
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's less fun that blaming your personality

Oh wait, that's me

SI

I know my personality isn't the greatest and I can be a pretty sarcastic smartass, but it's because I care!