Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #9101
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Sixty percent believe in the story of Noah's ark and a global flood, while 64 percent agree that Moses parted the Red Sea to save fleeing Jews from their Egyptian captors.

Honestly, that concerns me less than the 57% of Republicans who believe Obama is a muslim.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 03-24-2010 at 08:50 AM.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #9102
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Wow that's a screwed-up situation, Greg. I appreciate the posts you've made now and in the past about your local school board, in part because I've recently been volunteering for my local district (the K-8 district) and it's great to get ideas about what's being done elsewhere.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #9103
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Sixty percent believe in the story of Noah's ark and a global flood, while 64 percent agree that Moses parted the Red Sea to save fleeing Jews from their Egyptian captors.

You saw Ten Commandments, right? So you know how that went down. Charlton Heston gave us a great visual aid.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #9104
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Considering the frenzy some of the really unhinged were whipped into, I'm going to go with "first but definitely not last" in the pool.

Liberals would just move to Canada or get high, right?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-24-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #9105
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Palin's Facebook page is charming. It has gun sights over districts that went to the GOP in 08 but have Dems in the House that voted for HCR.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #9106
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
So who had March 24th in the pool for first act of possible domestic terrorism by a Tea Partier?

Who had March 25th for the first act of retaliation from the other side?

House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
Rep. Eric Cantor, the number two Republican in the House of Representatives, said Thursday that a bullet had been shot through a window at his district office in Richmond, Virginia. He also said he had received threatening messages.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #9107
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

Who's to say it's from the other side and not from a tea-partier upset about his comments yesterday that the violence and vitriol were unacceptable (he went futher than Boehner in condeming them).
Old 03-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #9108
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Glad to finally see both sides of Congress admitting what a disaster the loan program has been thus far. Over a year ago, one economist after another mentioned how stupid it was to use the funds to make payments rather than reduce the principal on some of these underwater loans. Amazing that it takes a full year to finally start applying money to pricipal rather than the other backwards way they've been doing it that failed so drastically.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #9109
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Surprised you didn't post this, MBBF, since you've been so keen to highlight congressional incumbents who find themselves in danger due to the current political climate:

Political Tide Could Wash Away Republican Utah Senator - NYTimes.com

Quote:
There is no bigger quarry in the eyes of many conservative activists than Mr. Bennett, who has drawn seven challengers and will not know for six weeks whether he will even qualify for the ballot. His fate is being watched not only by grass-roots conservatives testing their ability to shape the party, but also by many elected Republicans in Washington who are wondering, If Bob Bennett is not conservative enough, who is?
Old 03-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #9110
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Who had March 25th for the Republicans to take a non-story and try to make themselves the victims.

The Associated Press: Bullet that hit Va. congressman's office random

Quote:
RICHMOND, Va. — Richmond police say the bullet that hit a window of Republican Virginia Congressman Eric Cantor's office had been randomly fired skyward.
Amid reports of threats and vandalism against Democrats who voted Sunday for sweeping health care reforms, Cantor said at a Washington news conference Thursday that a bullet was fired into his Richmond office.
In a news release, Richmond police said that the bullet had been fired into the air early Tuesday. It hit the front window of a building that houses Cantor's campaign office as it fell to back earth at a sharp angle.
The round landed on the floor of the office a foot inside a broken window pane. No one was in the building, and police say an investigation has yielded no suspects.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #9111
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Surprised you didn't post this, MBBF, since you've been so keen to highlight congressional incumbents who find themselves in danger due to the current political climate:

Political Tide Could Wash Away Republican Utah Senator - NYTimes.com

Not sure what's so surprising about that. The guy voted for the bank bailout bill. Not many Republicans are going to support a representative dumb enough to vote for that cow pattie of a bill. The party of the representative won't change in that race, but the person in that position likely will.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #9112
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting days ahead for Iraq. This would be a litmus test for "peaceful" (okay, there will probably be some violence) transfer of power.

Iraq: Challenger wins most seats - Conflict in Iraq- msnbc.com
Quote:
BAGHDAD - A jubilant Ayad Allawi claimed victory for his secular, anti-Iranian coalition as final parliamentary returns Friday showed him edging out the bloc of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, who angrily vowed to fight the results.

The results, if they stand, will give Allawi the first opportunity to form a parliamentary majority and Iraq's next government. But they do not automatically mean that he will become the next prime minister, and the narrow margin sets the stage for months of political wrangling.

Quote:
Regardless of who eventually comes out on top, the results of the March 7 elections suggest that millions of Iraqis are fed up with a political system that revolves around membership in one of the two major Islamic sects.

They also show that Iraqis — both Shiite and Sunni — are suspicious of Iranian influence. Allawi was widely seen as closer to the region's Arab governments than to neighboring Shiite Iran.

The next prime minister will lead a government that presumably will be in power when the U.S. completes its scheduled troop withdrawal from Iraq next year. There has been fear among some in the West that a U.S. withdrawal would effectively leave Iraq as an Iranian puppet.

Al-Maliki, the U.S. partner in Iraq for the past four years, announced in a nationally televised news conference that he would not accept the results, which gave his bloc 89 seats to Allawi's 91 in Iraq's 325-seat parliament.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #9113
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

U.S. Government To Save Billions By Cutting Wasteful Senator Program | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #9114
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

These are your Tea Party protesters - seems like many of them could use a little more "soshilist guvmint education"

Teabonics on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-31-2010 at 07:52 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #9115
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

When you don't want to attack the argument go attack the arguers.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #9116
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #9117
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

Yeah imagine if someone would have posted ghetto talk because some of Obama's supporters are uneducated. It would be an offense not known to mankind... but no problem picking on the uneducated whites. Forget that the overall message transcends both the Democratic and Republican parties and is about a bankrupt government that is out of control. Back to partisan bickering 101...
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #9118
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

No mention of Obama's 'Drill, Baby, Drill!' policy? Another policy that I certainly agree with. Glad to see more oil fields opening up.

Obama's Offshore Drilling REACTIONS: Plan Brings Flood Of Responses (PHOTOS)
Old 04-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #9119
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah- I was surprised we didn't see anything here about it. I'm not all that keen on it. I don't think most of the areas opened up are that big of a deal as it's 125 miles out in the Atlantic and the "less fragile" parts of the Arctic. But, I hate the precedent that in 4 or 8 or however many years, there's going to be the line of thinking of "well, it's been opened up before, so we can open up a lot more areas". I think he actually took some care as to what was opened up but I don't think future decision makers will do that.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-01-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #9120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
No mention of Obama's 'Drill, Baby, Drill!' policy? Another policy that I certainly agree with. Glad to see more oil fields opening up.

Stopped clock principle at work, yadda yadda, etc etc.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #9121
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm not all that keen on it. I don't think most of the areas opened up are that big of a deal as it's 125 miles out in the Atlantic and the "less fragile" parts of the Arctic.

I have a feeling the point is to accomplish two things:

1. Makes it easier, in a few years, when the GOP and/or energy companies (but I repeat myself) want to open up more areas, to say "but we already did you greedy bastards!"

2. IIRC, they're working on a new energy bill. I'm going to assume it'll involve concessions from the energy industry. So it's probably a bit of "if you scratch my back..."
Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #9122
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

I have a feeling the point is to accomplish two things:

1. Makes it easier, in a few years, when the GOP and/or energy companies (but I repeat myself) want to open up more areas, to say "but we already did you greedy bastards!"

2. IIRC, they're working on a new energy bill. I'm going to assume it'll involve concessions from the energy industry. So it's probably a bit of "if you scratch my back..."

How come it can't just be because...it makes sense given the time to market for large scale alternative energy sources and we cannot allow ourselves no alternative if/when the (oil-producing) Middle East becomes a war zone?
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #9123
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I enjoy how utilizing our natural resources to reduce our reliance on other countries for energy is now termed 'greed'. If so, let there be greed throughout the land.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #9124
miked
College Starter

I was under the impression that the oil we can get from drilling in the arctic and gulf was like a year's supply for our over-consumptive society...has that changed?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #9125
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
How come it can't just be because...it makes sense given the time to market for large scale alternative energy sources and we cannot allow ourselves no alternative if/when the (oil-producing) Middle East becomes a war zone?

Sure, it's probably that as well. I, however, was responding specifically about the political rationale of the decision.

Quote:
I enjoy how utilizing our natural resources to reduce our reliance on other countries for energy is now termed 'greed'. If so, let there be greed throughout the land.

Yeah, I'm sure the first thing on the mind of oil executives is how to make American less reliant on foreign oil. In your world, profits are somewhere around #10 on their priority list, AMIRITE?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #9126
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure the first thing on the mind of oil executives is how to make American less reliant on foreign oil. In your world, profits are somewhere around #10 on their priority list, AMIRITE?

I could care less about the oil executives, though I know it's a convinient way to demonize the topic for those opposed to it. I care about what's best for America and what's best is to supply as much oil as possible within our own borders. I'd rather our money be going to the oil execs in North America than the Arab oil execs overseas. At least we can collect 39.5% of that money on April 15th to pay for Obamacare if it stays here.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #9127
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I could care less about the oil executives, though I know it's a convinient way to demonize the topic for those opposed to it. I care about what's best for America and what's best is to supply as much oil as possible within our own borders. I'd rather our money be going to the oil execs in North America than the Arab oil execs overseas. At least we can collect 39.5% of that money on April 15th to pay for Obamacare if it stays here.

You're making the assumption that now that they'll have these drilling rights, they'll drill and add considerably to America's domestic oil supply.

An incorrect assumption, as it turns out.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #9128
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You're making the assumption that now that they'll have these drilling rights, they'll drill and add considerably to America's domestic oil supply.

An incorrect assumption, as it turns out.

No, I'm not making any assumption in that regard. The opportunity is there. Worst case, the lease rights are paid and the oil is still there. Best case, they take out oil. There's zero downside to opening up more land for leasing rights.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #9129
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
No, I'm not making any assumption in that regard. The opportunity is there. Worst case, the lease rights are paid and the oil is still there. Best case, they take out oil. There's zero downside to opening up more land for leasing rights.

Worst case scenario is actually an increase in dependence on foreign oil.

Most of these leases won't be developed right away (if at all) because they're in deep water and the oil will be more costly to extract. So the oil companies will likely continue to import cheaper foreign oil.

But now added to that we have a guaranteed cushion of domestic oil availability should the price of oil get high enough to justify drilling in these new leases. Thus there's now less of an impetus to a) curb oil consumption and b) develop new and innovative alternative energy sources.

Given the vast number of leases that are proven but currently unused (as opposed to these new ones which are both unproven and obviously unused), opening up these leases is pretty pointless in all but the very long-term and mainly symbolic in nature (hence my original post about the likely political rationale).

On a related note, let's drop the red herring about dependence on oil from the Persian Gulf. It's roughly 12% of our total oil consumption, and already dropping. You want to worry about a foreign oil producer, worry about Soviet Canuckistan.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #9130
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Most of these leases won't be developed right away (if at all) because they're in deep water and the oil will be more costly to extract. So the oil companies will likely continue to import cheaper foreign oil.

But now added to that we have a guaranteed cushion of domestic oil availability should the price of oil get high enough to justify drilling in these new leases. Thus there's now less of an impetus to a) curb oil consumption and b) develop new and innovative alternative energy sources.

Given the vast number of leases that are proven but currently unused (as opposed to these new ones which are both unproven and obviously unused), opening up these leases is pretty pointless in all but the very long-term and mainly symbolic in nature (hence my original post about the likely political rationale).

On a related note, let's drop the red herring about dependence on oil from the Persian Gulf. It's roughly 12% of our total oil consumption, and already dropping. You want to worry about a foreign oil producer, worry about Soviet Canuckistan.

flere wins again!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #9131
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

So in other words, you're upset with Obama that he's truly implement no change in this regard in contrast to his campaign promises and is turning to 'business as usual'?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #9132
miked
College Starter

Quote:
So in other words, you're upset with Obama that he's truly implement no change in this regard in contrast to his campaign promises and is turning to 'business as usual'?

Uh-oh, you're going full retard...
Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #9133
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Uh-oh, you're going full retard...

Old 04-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #9134
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

did one of the liberals hijack MBBF's account?

lmao
Old 04-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #9135
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
So in other words, you're upset with Obama

How did you come to that conclusion?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #9136
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

That's the wrong Palin for this context.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #9137
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

Old 04-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #9138
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

They call me "Classy Jeff".

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #9139
molson
General Manager

Well, spending freezes and a growing economy would certainly make a dent.

If I was a psychologist though, I'd publih a paper discrediting these types of polls. I can't quite articulate why they're "off" - but I don't think you can come to meaningful conclusions about peoples' opinions on things by asking them seperate questions and then comparing the results. (And that's assuming that the same group of people were asked all of these questions).

When someone says something shouldn't be cut, but they want the federal government to run more efficiently, or that the deficit should be reduced, those things aren't necessarily inconsistent. And if they are, so what - it just shows us that the poll is flawed or people are stupid.

Instead, we see this type of poll show up here all the time, always posted by the huge government people, and I think their point is that the government doesn't need to be efficient, because we clearly all want this stuff. Which doesn't make sense to me as a premise. We might want all sorts of things, that doesn't mean we should buy everything.

Also, people are selfishly optimistic in hoping that federal cuts won't impact THEM. I think a lot of people (correctly) assume that the federal government could save billions simply if it was run more effectively.

Last edited by molson : 04-01-2010 at 05:36 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #9140
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

Couldn't find an angry one and thought it best to avoid the path you so subtly suggested.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #9141
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

It appears that the health care honeymoon barely lasted two weeks. His numbers are trending down again. We noted this before and the public continues to pound it home. The health care bill isn't going to make much difference for Obama if he doesn't reverse the job and economy downward trends.

Poll: More blame Obama for poor economy, unemployment - USATODAY.com
Old 04-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #9142
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

which apparently is happening.

March jobs jump could lift Obama - Eamon Javers - POLITICO.com
Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #9143
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

We can only hope. It's badly needed. Much of it may be short-circuited by a problem that should have been reformed already.....oil speculation. It's causing problems again as gas prices continue to drive back up.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/04/0...ces-again.html

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-01-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #9144
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I do love how $3/gallon gas (saw my first in a long time the other day) doesn't merit nearly the news story it did when Bush was in office.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #9145
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's not a giant evil liberal media conspiracy, it's because it's not something new.

seriously. common sense.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #9146
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The black helicopters are preventing the news orgs from running stories about gas prices.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #9147
molson
General Manager

Expensive gas is a good thing.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #9148
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I do love how $3/gallon gas (saw my first in a long time the other day) doesn't merit nearly the news story it did when Bush was in office.

I think it is a story, but is not the story because we became desensitized to it the first time around. It will probably take a new, greater threshold ($5? $7.50?) before it becomes a headliner again.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #9149
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's not a giant evil liberal media conspiracy, it's because it's not something new.

I see the point, but I just remember 8 years of being slammed with info every time the prices started climbing in the summer. Now, not a peep.

Of course I may be sensitized to this since I'm dealing with a pretty blatant liberal media bias locally.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #9150
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I see the point, but I just remember 8 years of being slammed with info every time the prices started climbing in the summer. Now, not a peep.

Of course I may be sensitized to this since I'm dealing with a pretty blatant liberal media bias locally.

The glib answer is that it could be that less people care about gas when they have no job to go to.

But, really, c'mon, it's because we're not breaking record highs.

SI