Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2023, 02:35 PM   #9001
bronconick
College Starter

Goodbye movie theaters, already damaged by COVID.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:24 PM   #9002
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Meanwhile, Hunter Biden has agreed to testify before Congress in an open committee hearing and the Republicans refuse to allow it. They want a private hearing so they can control the narrative of what gets out. Ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:14 AM   #9003
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Santos expelled.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him show up for work on Monday as if nothing happened.
Old 12-01-2023, 10:18 AM   #9004
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Santos expelled.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him show up for work on Monday as if nothing happened.

And Clay Higgins defense of him was that the ethics committee report came down too hard on one of their own so it had to be politically motivated.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:47 AM   #9005
Edward64
Head Coach

Bi-partisanship is alive!

Buh bye
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:50 AM   #9006
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Now do Bob Menendez.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:56 AM   #9007
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quid pro quo, Dr. Lecter.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 05:02 PM   #9008
Edward64
Head Coach

Easy read on where we are on Ukraine-Israel-Border bill.

Bottom-line. The GOP wants Parole & Asylum to be more stringent as the price for the Ukraine/Israel aid. May be more give on Israel but definitely on Ukraine. But not a sure thing it'll get done in Dec.

House deal to secure aid for Israel and Ukraine could hinge on border funding | PBS NewsHour
Quote:
Just on the verge of December, this is the timeline we're looking at. This is when the Senate is hoping to have a vote on some kind of foreign aid and border bill, maybe next week. But then look at the entire calendar for this year. Congress is only in session next week and the week following it.

So it is really hard to do the math to see how they get all of this done. Hope springs eternal. But it's all to say that there has to be a deal, essentially, this week. And I'll tell you, walking here from the Capitol tonight, it seemed like they are farther away than closer.

Whatever is agreed on in Dec/Jan, I sure hope they also have an understanding that real discussions on Immigration Reform starts in 2024 and really worked on after elections.
Old 12-04-2023, 06:47 PM   #9009
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Now do Bob Menendez.

Speaking of Menendez, story gets weirder.

Bob Menendez case: Gold bars found in Clifton home of Menendez – NBC New York
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:52 PM   #9010
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Now do Bob Menendez.

Old 12-05-2023, 01:19 PM   #9011
Atocep
Coordinator

Tuberville is dropping his hold on military promotions. It's impossible to even estimate the damage this caused because this dumbass doesn't understand the military and thinks there are "too many "officers" and that it works like football where the next man up just fills in.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:21 PM   #9012
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How much damage to the military has this actually caused? I can't imagine it's really all that much.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:33 PM   #9013
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
How much damage to the military has this actually caused? I can't imagine it's really all that much.

Officers have a hard date to get promoted to the next rank or retire. It's not uncommon for an officer to get nominated for promotion on their last attempt before forced retirement. These holds very likely resulted in officers that were waiting to be promoted to instead be forced to retire because their promotion was held up. There is no waiver process for this there are no exceptions because a senator is being a double.

The next man up argument also fails because there are only so many slots for each rank at an instalation. So if someone has left a position and another person gets promoted and is expected to fill that role there is no next man up. You're doing 2 jobs until you are promoted and able to fill your expected role and they can then PCS someone in to fill your current job. That creates massive chain reaction down the line holding up PCSs and stalling careers. Less officers doing more work would also have significant impacts on readiness as there are only so many hours to go around.

We also had at least one officer suffer a heart attack due to the stress of working 2 jobs because his promotion was on hold.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:41 PM   #9014
Atocep
Coordinator

Also, while it's nice to avoid shutdowns operating under a continuing resolution for a significant amount of time has impacts as well. We've been locked into the same budget rather than being able to match inflation and growth in Healthcare needs/costs.

There really isn't much of a solution when it comes ro providing Healthcare to active duty, depedents, and retirees other than stare at a massive deficit and hope an actual budget is approved before the end of the fiscal year.

Just wanted to give an example of the unintended and overlooked consequences of the CR that isn't mentioned.
Old 12-05-2023, 02:48 PM   #9015
RainMaker
General Manager

It doesn't sounds like he's going to fully drop his objections. Said he'd still do it for "woke" promotions which probably just means women and minorities.
Old 12-05-2023, 03:00 PM   #9016
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It doesn't sounds like he's going to fully drop his objections. Said he'd still do it for "woke" promotions which probably just means women and minorities.

Yeah WTF is a woke promotion?
Old 12-05-2023, 03:11 PM   #9017
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I thought this was pretty funny

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...deo-rcna128014
Old 12-05-2023, 04:04 PM   #9018
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I thought this was pretty funny

Access Denied

It was funnier 21 hours ago when Atocep posted it

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 12-05-2023 at 04:04 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 05:14 PM   #9019
Edward64
Head Coach

Yup, I agree Joe.

Forget the naysayers, you are the best chance of beating Trump again ...

... unless you totally flub the debates. For that matter, do you even need to have a debate with him?

Biden: ‘If Trump wasn’t running, I’m not sure I’d be running’ - MarketWatch
Quote:
President Joe Biden said Tuesday he’s not sure he’d be running again for the White House if former President Donald Trump weren’t also in the race, telling donors that Democrats “cannot let him win.”

“If Trump wasn’t running, I’m not sure I’d be running,” the president said in remarks in Boston. “But we cannot let him win.”

Biden’s comments come as Trump maintains a commanding lead in polls for the Republican presidential nomination, and four other GOP primary contenders are set to debate on Wednesday night.

Biden has been attacking Trump as a threat to democracy and has sounded the alarm about the former president’s desires to gut the Affordable Care Act, known as Obamacare.

Polls show a matchup between Biden and Trump as essentially tied, and the current president has lately been sharpening his attacks against his predecessor.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:17 AM   #9020
Edward64
Head Coach

Buh bye McCarthy.

Wish we could say we hardly knew you.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:21 AM   #9021
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not at all convinced Biden is the best chance of beating Trump. I also think that's a very bad reason for him to run again.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-06-2023 at 11:21 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:27 AM   #9022
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I'm not at all convinced Biden is the best chance of beating Trump. I also think that's a very bad reason for him to run again.

Honestly I worry about this too. Right now one of the top 2 talking points against Biden is the cognitive narrative. A strong, younger candidate would take that away.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:47 PM   #9023
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Honestly I worry about this too. Right now one of the top 2 talking points against Biden is the cognitive narrative. A strong, younger candidate would take that away.
But then they would add whatever baggage that they carry, or whatever the Republicans can make people believe about them. Who is the better candidate? We could name a few in theory, but what would they be by the time they really hit the campaign floor and all the warts come out? How will they react to the spot-light? How good a campaigner are they actually? Did they have a bad or shady business dealing that will come out? Did their wives? Did their kids?
I do wish there was a stronger, younger candidate running. I wish Biden had chosen not to run. But I can't say with any certainty whoever won a Democratic primary would actually be a stronger candidate than Biden versus Trump.
Old 12-11-2023, 11:50 AM   #9024
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 12-11-2023, 11:51 AM   #9025
RainMaker
General Manager

From some other polls and this one it seems Kennedy helps Biden more than Trump.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:21 PM   #9026
Edward64
Head Coach

Yup, gut check time Joe. You're going to need to compromise if you want Ukraine-Israel-Taiwan funding.

But you're going to lose some votes. Proverbial rock and a hard place. I think compromise now and then campaign on holistic immigration reform in 2025.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/immigra...n-deportation/
Quote:
The Biden administration on Tuesday indicated to congressional lawmakers that it would be willing to support a new border authority to expel migrants without asylum screenings, as well as a dramatic expansion of immigration detention and deportations, to convince Republicans to back aid to Ukraine, four people familiar with the matter told CBS News.

The White House informed Senate Democrats that it could back those sweeping and hardline immigration policy changes as part of the negotiations over President Biden's emergency funding request, a roughly $100 billion package that includes military aid to Israel, Taiwan and Ukraine, as well as money to bolster border enforcement and hire additional immigration officials.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:31 AM   #9027
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The GOP won't agree to anything. There's a report that Schumer offered a vote on a GOP written bill and they refused to provide anything.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:39 AM   #9028
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
From some other polls and this one it seems Kennedy helps Biden more than Trump.

My mom is a Trumper who wants to switch to independent to vote for him. I don't argue with her.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 06:43 AM   #9029
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
The GOP won't agree to anything. There's a report that Schumer offered a vote on a GOP written bill and they refused to provide anything.

That's Biden's problem.

The GOP does not want to fix immigration.

They want to blame Biden for broken immigration.

There's no deal to be had because a bi-partisan deal makes Biden look good.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:24 AM   #9030
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Schumer needs to make such an offer public.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:14 PM   #9031
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't check Twitter much these days but if I did, I'd bet the NYTimesPitchbot account posted something along the lines of, "Dow Jones Hits Its All-Time High. See How That Could Spell Trouble for Biden."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 03:40 PM   #9032
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The GOP wants the Dems to write a bill that pisses off as many Dems as possible and then, at the last minute, claim they were betrayed and refuse to vote for it.

We've seen this before.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:59 PM   #9033
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The GOP wants the Dems to write a bill that pisses off as many Dems as possible and then, at the last minute, claim they were betrayed and refuse to vote for it.

We've seen this before.

Yep

Immigration is a losing issue for Dems with Rs and the GOP wants to keep it that way. As long as their voters feel it's broken and the GOP can blame dems there's not reason to fix it because it's probably the top issue that drives their voters to the polls.

Even with the GOP holding the presidency and both chambers of congress they've had no interest in implementing any of their "fixes".
Old 12-13-2023, 04:54 PM   #9034
RainMaker
General Manager

I think the GOP will take the deal. It's pretty draconian and what they've wanted for a long time. They don't really have to give up anything in return. I mean funneling some money to defense contractors for weapons in Ukraine and Israel is a win for them too. And it hurts Biden.

They should take the deal and the victory lap.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:50 PM   #9035
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 12-14-2023, 01:49 PM   #9036
Atocep
Coordinator

A bipartisan bill passed that prevents the President from pulling out of NATO without congressional authorization.

It's amazing even the GOP has to put guardrails up so that their leading candidate for president can't fuck things up.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:54 PM   #9037
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I think the GOP will take the deal. It's pretty draconian and what they've wanted for a long time. They don't really have to give up anything in return. I mean funneling some money to defense contractors for weapons in Ukraine and Israel is a win for them too. And it hurts Biden.

They should take the deal and the victory lap.

A lot of Dems have wanted a deal on immigration and border patrol for a long, long time. Before trump co-opted the border as a 'right' issue, it was a 'left' issue.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:49 PM   #9038
RainMaker
General Manager

I mean it's the complete opposite of what Biden campaigned on so I don't think it's a positive for Democrats. He's not giving these concessions because he thinks it'll help him.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:58 PM   #9039
Edward64
Head Coach

Let's hope it gets through the Senate ...

Sinema ‘can see the deal’ on Ukraine-border as Schumer cuts recess - POLITICO
Quote:
Schumer told senators they would not go on recess as planned Thursday. The majority leader said the Senate will vote to advance President Joe Biden’s supplemental request next week, and the hope is that there is at least a framework border agreement to go with it.

Somewhat optimistic about Senate but then there's always the House ...

Quote:
But the overtime session is not without controversy in the Senate, as Republicans say that negotiators are nowhere close on a deal. Several complained about the tactical decision to keep trying when it’s not even clear the House will take the legislation up. Others said it’s possible some senators wouldn’t show up next week. Sen. Roger Marshall (R-Kan.) predicted “it’ll take weeks or months to go through it once we get it in writing.”

Meanwhile, the House left on Thursday and some senators are worried a Senate-only deal has no shot in the other chamber. Republicans also attacked Democrats for declining to budge on major reforms for parole, a tool that presidents use to allow immigrants’ entry into the United States.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:35 AM   #9040
GrantDawg

Do not look for the gay porn that was filmed by Senate staffers in the Judicial committee hearing room. You have been warned.
Old 12-16-2023, 01:35 PM   #9041
miami_fan
Coordinator

I feel like they knew what they were doing by not releasing that story until Friday night. Not sure what happens now, but I remember our IT folks used to be pissed back in the late 90's when we would tell newcomers to go to whitehouse.com to initiate them to the military. Don't worry it is okay to go there now, it is a betting site.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 01:48 PM   #9042
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Do not look for the gay porn that was filmed by Senate staffers in the Judicial committee hearing room. You have been warned.

Someone say gay porn?
Old 12-16-2023, 02:50 PM   #9043
GrantDawg

All the gays on my Twitter timeline are having a blast.

Old 12-16-2023, 04:01 PM   #9044
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Hugely surprised that Lindsey Graham wasn't involved.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 07:16 PM   #9045
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
All the gays on my Twitter timeline are having a blast.

Must say the Which Desecration is Worse? with Jan 6 vs a naked guy in the Senate chamber by a republican congressman was not unexpected.
Old 12-20-2023, 03:54 PM   #9046
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
If the WaPo article is true, won't be long before (if not already) intelligence agencies identify the leaker.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ked-documents/

Frontline just did a show about this story. YouTube link below if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkgkBEuEHwU&t=34s

The Air Force also released an executive summary of their report. Apologies to anyone who is/was in the Air National Guard, but it was the epitome of the worst stereotypes of the Guard.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 04:16 PM   #9047
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Frontline just did a show about this story. YouTube link below if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkgkBEuEHwU&t=34s

The Air Force also released an executive summary of their report. Apologies to anyone who is/was in the Air National Guard, but it was the epitome of the worst stereotypes of the Guard.

This guy should get the death penalty.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 10:42 AM   #9048
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Baaed on the lines out today Christmas shopping, the economy is booming.
Old 12-26-2023, 05:10 PM   #9049
Michigania
n00b

Just my very fallible opinion: Joe is very flawed, especially too old, but should stay in the race because he is the best chance to beat Trump. If Joe drops out, who would be the nominee who can beat Trump? Kamala - no way. Newsome - hard to say: too Cali? Warren - no chance. Whitmer - doesn't want it enough?

Joe is teflon to the Trump-MAGA-Fox attacks. Everyone knows exactly who Joe is, for good and bad.

Joe has been a lifelong supporter of Israel, Now, he shows not only that he still is, but also proves that he's still Joe and not beholden to the left. Might that cost him a lot of youth and other lefty votes, and the election? Maybe. But I think that it secures a lot of Indy and Trump-hating-GOP support.

But there are no certain answers.
Michigania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 07:59 PM   #9050
Edward64
Head Coach

Smart move on her part. Hopefully, the voters will see through her mess.

Boebert switches congressional districts, avoiding a Democratic opponent who has far outraised her | AP News
Quote:
Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert announced Wednesday she is switching congressional districts, avoiding a likely rematch against a Democrat who has far outraised her and after an embarrassing moment of groping and vaping that shook even loyal supporters.

In a Facebook video Wednesday evening, Boebert announced she would enter the crowded Republican primary in retiring Rep. Ken Buck’s seat in the eastern side of the state, leaving the more competitive 3rd district seat she barely won last year and was in peril of losing next year as even some in her party have soured on her controversial demeanor.