Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2008, 08:33 AM   #8951
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Interesting? I'd say that's more like predictable (in a broad global sense, not you specifically).

I mean, hell, I'd like to see Colonel Klink in charge of Al-Qaida. Seems only natural that you don't want anyone competent in charge of the opposition or even a competitor.

That's a cheap bit of denial, jon. Even those who do not see the US as either "opposition" or "competition" - and there are many - prefer Obama to McCain. Essentially because:

1) we do not share the horror you guys have of "liberal" views
2) Palin looks like a disaster just waiting to happen
3) Once you remove McCain's military heroism which, while admirable says little about his suitability as a president, he is far less impressive than Obama in those qualities important for that role

Even though Australia could well be better off with McCain because of his superior commitment to global trade and therefore the FTA between the US and Australia, most Australians see Obama as the better choice from a non-partisan point of view.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 10-30-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #8952
Butter
Coordinator

Of course CNN would say that, because they are in the Dems back pocket!

I just thought I'd try things from the other side now. It's a little stupid, I'll be honest.

JPhillips, thanks for posting that O'Reilly electoral map a couple pages back. Solid gold.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #8953
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Whether he's an ally would be immaterial when compared to comments coming directly from Obama. A presidential candidate undermining a prominent ally is a significant development. As McCain rightly pointed out, if the shoe were on the other foot, McCain would be facing intensive questioning on the comments. Not only that, but the video and transcript would have already been released.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #8954
jonesz
Mascot

The one thing that struck me and I was curious about was that in last night's Obama TV Show he said that he would offer tax breaks for anyone making less than $200,000. Up until then wasn't he using $250,000 everywhere? Anyone know a reason for the discrepancy?
jonesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #8955
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
JPhillips, thanks for posting that O'Reilly electoral map a couple pages back. Solid gold.

Conservative prediction = bias.
Liberal prediction = truth.

I guess this is where most of the people in this thread and I differ. I believe both contain bias. You'll pardon my even-handed treatment of the information.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #8956
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard View Post
most Australians see Obama as the better choice from a non-partisan point of view.

Then you're no better off in terms of common sense than we are here apparently. You'll have to understand if I don't exactly find that comforting.

But hey, at least I can still crack a joke or two while sitting on the brink of the worst disaster in the history of my country, the low water mark of over 200 years (granted, a fraction of a second in the global timeline). That ability ought to be worth something somewhere.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #8957
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesz View Post
The one thing that struck me and I was curious about was that in last night's Obama TV Show he said that he would offer tax breaks for anyone making less than $200,000. Up until then wasn't he using $250,000 everywhere? Anyone know a reason for the discrepancy?

200,000 to 249,999 will have their taxes remain the same. Anything under 200,000 drops, 250,000 or over goes up.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #8958
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. JiMG is a total drama queen. I thought Republicans were supposed to be tough. Mr. "Step on Their Throat" apparently doesn't like it when his throat is about to get stepped on.

Last edited by Kodos : 10-30-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #8959
jonesz
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
200,000 to 249,999 will have their taxes remain the same. Anything under 200,000 drops, 250,000 or over goes up.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. Surprised McCain hasn't used the two numbers to create confusion/doubt in people's minds.
jonesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #8960
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Then you're no better off in terms of common sense than we are here apparently.

No, we're simply not utterly blinded by commitment. Obama ticks all the boxes while McCain only ticks a few.

Incidentally, you happy with Palin as potential c in c? I would have thought you would be horrified by the idea.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 10-30-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #8961
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Even though Australia could well be better off with McCain because of his superior commitment to global trade and therefore the FTA between the US and Australia, most Australians see Obama as the better choice from a non-partisan point of view.

Quote:
No, we're simply not utterly blinded by commitment. Obama ticks all the boxes while McCain only ticks a few.

I guess the Australian people just have a different definition of 'non-partisan' than most people. To each his own.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #8962
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

That's a telling statement. That "Australia would be better off" gets trumped by charisma and positive, feel-good vibes.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #8963
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Then you're no better off in terms of common sense than we are here apparently. You'll have to understand if I don't exactly find that comforting.

But hey, at least I can still crack a joke or two while sitting on the brink of the worst disaster in the history of my country, the low water mark of over 200 years (granted, a fraction of a second in the global timeline). That ability ought to be worth something somewhere.

Wow, you must either live in a hut in Athens or never have taken a history class in your life to think that Obama being elected would be the worst disaster in the history of our country. At least you can take refuge in the fact that Sonny saved your flag, thus avoiding the worst disaster in the history of Georgia (Sherman would be proud).
Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #8964
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Incidentally, you happy with Palin as potential c in c? I would have thought you would be horrified by the idea.

No less that what we had in that dolt, Dan Quayle. But no one remembers him.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #8965
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I guess the Australian people just have a different definition of 'non-partisan' than most people. To each his own.

There is a preference for Obama even amongst many "right-wing" Australians.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #8966
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
That's a telling statement. That "Australia would be better off" gets trumped by charisma and positive, feel-good vibes.

We can see beyond a simple economic self-interest.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #8967
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
We can see beyond a simple economic self-interest.

Here's an article from one of our local newspapers. I think it's a good read. It does well to elaborate on my feelings (and most likely how other foreigners feel) regarding the two candidates.

The two Americas - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 10-30-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #8968
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Here's an article from one of our local newspapers. I think it's a good read. It does well to elaborate on my feelings (and most likely how other foreigners feel) regarding the two candidates.

I would guess it's about 80% of Australians for Obama and would not be surprised if it's something like that amongst Brits. It isn't even remotely close.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #8969
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
There is a preference for Obama even amongst many "right-wing" Australians.

Of course, of course. Thank you for being the voice of Australia.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #8970
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I guess this is where most of the people in this thread and I differ. I believe both contain bias. You'll pardon my even-handed treatment of the information.

MBBF lecturing people on being even-handed is like Bobby Knight lecturing people on being even-tempered.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #8971
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
But hey, at least I can still crack a joke or two while sitting in the midst of the worst disaster in the history of my country, the low water mark of over 200 years (granted, a fraction of a second in the global timeline). That ability ought to be worth something somewhere.

FIXED
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #8972
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
If I need to explain that one to you, we probably aren't going to be finished by election day.

No worries. Start now.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #8973
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
MBBF lecturing people on being even-handed is like Bobby Knight lecturing people on being even-tempered.

Yes, noting that bias exists in all polling, rather than just some information, is a horribly controversial statement..

You may now hang me from a Los Angeles rooftop.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #8974
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

And intellect. And level-headedness. And fair-mindedness.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #8975
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

First of all, a crapload of current State polling (this especially for MBBF):

Code:
State Obama McCain Start Finish Pollster Alaska 41% 57% Oct 28 Oct 28 Rasmussen Alabama 36% 61% Oct 27 Oct 28 SurveyUSA Arizona 46% 53% Oct 23 Oct 28 Opinion Research Colorado 53% 45% Oct 23 Oct 28 Opinion Research Delaware 63% 33% Oct 27 Oct 28 SurveyUSA Florida 51% 47% Oct 23 Oct 28 Opinion Research Georgia 47% 52% Oct 23 Oct 28 Opinion Research Indiana 46% 45% Oct 26 Oct 28 Selzer Kansas 37% 58% Oct 27 Oct 28 SurveyUSA Massachusetts 56% 39% Oct 27 Oct 28 SurveyUSA Michigan 53% 43% Oct 28 Oct 28 Rasmussen Minnesota 55% 43% Oct 28 Oct 28 Rasmussen Minnesota 56% 37% Oct 24 Oct 27 U. of Minnesota Missouri 48% 50% Oct 23 Oct 28 Opinion Research North Carolina 52% 46% Oct 23 Oct 28 Opinion Research New Hampshire 55% 37% Oct 22 Oct 26 GfK Roper New Jersey 54% 38% Oct 26 Oct 28 Research 2000 New Mexico 54% 44% Oct 28 Oct 28 Rasmussen Nevada 50% 45% Oct 25 Oct 28 Research 2000 Nevada 52% 45% Oct 23 Oct 28 Opinion Research New York 62% 33% Oct 27 Oct 28 SurveyUSA Ohio 48% 45% Oct 24 Oct 26 Marist Coll. Ohio 51% 47% Oct 23 Oct 28 Opinion Research Pennsylvania 55% 41% Oct 26 Oct 27 Marist Coll. Utah 32% 55% Oct 23 Oct 25 Mason-Dixon Virginia 48% 39% Oct 19 Oct 26 Roanoke Coll. Virginia 49% 42% Oct 22 Oct 26 GfK Roper Virginia 53% 44% Oct 23 Oct 28 Opinion Research Wisconsin 53% 42% Oct 27 Oct 28 Research 2000

Conclusions:

Arizona is actually probably not in play. Hope McCain didn't spend too much on those robocalls there.

Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin are probably lost for McCain.

Of those, Colorado & New Mexico were Bush states in 2004. Since CO has 9 EVs and NM has 5, that's a swing of 28 EVs, putting McCain at 272 and Obama at 265 (Bush won with 286 and Kerry lost with 251), assuming nothing else changes from 2004.

However, Iowa went for Bush in 2004 and is now Safe Obama, and has 7 EVs. That takes us to McCain at 265 and Obama at 272. Since 269 is needed to win, if we assume CO & NM stay Likely Obama, it's over.

NOTE: I'm missing an EV somewhere, these numbers add up to 537. Aarrgghh....

The battleground states are currently Florida, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina, Nevada, Ohio and Virginia.

All of these states went for Bush in 2004. If we forget about CO & NM for a moment and take Obama with Kerry States (251) + Iowa (7), we have 258, so he needs another 11 EVs. Nevada doesn't do it, because there are only 5 there, but the next lowest are IN & MO at 11 EVs.

Bottom-line: If Obama holds all of the Kerry States and Iowa (almost certain at this point) and flips any one of Florida, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia or (Colorado + (Nevada or New Mexico)), he wins. While there are other states that are tossups (Montana and North Dakota, for instance), I think it's safe to assume that if they go Obama, he'll already have won one of these 6 battlegrounds.

Quote:
Past Presidents and political figures from Washington to Lincoln would take great offense at your rant.

We are, however, no longer living in the 18th or 19th centuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I don't think there is much pressure to change the US tax code in any dramatic way.

I agree. It's an easy thing to bitch and moan about (and I do my fair share of that as well), but I don't think we're set up for a truly dramatic change. I think it's unlikely, for instance, that the U.S. government is going to be able to negotiate a new kind of consumption tax with all 50 states as Mac notes Australia did.

Ideally, I think we'd be best off to simplify the tax code for lower-earning individuals and close loopholes for corporations and higher earners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
That being said, I didn't feel sorry at all for the people whom they showed going through hard times.

"At all"? Really? Two stood out to me:

1. The cost of medications for a condition like Rheumatoid Arthritis forcing someone back into work after retirement is a real shame. How does one guard against this?

2. It's a crime that a special needs teacher needs to work several jobs to make ends meet.

Quote:
A fascinating video. It raises the question (though perhaps for another thread considering its scope) as to whether it would in any way be possible for an atheist/agnostic to be elected president/senator/congressman - or, indeed, anyone but a mainstream christian.

Absolutely they can, especially for the House, from specific districts. I'd also bet a Senator from the Northeast or Northwest can (and maybe has) been elected who's effectively agnostic.

Quote:
I really am glad that Obama seems to have this election wrapped up.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings. After 2000 and 2004, I'm not going to consider it over until the votes are counted.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 10-30-2008 at 09:14 AM.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #8976
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Of course, of course. Thank you for being the voice of Australia.

Merely reflecting the polls, Mizzou
Old 10-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #8977
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Wow, you must either live in a hut in Athens or never have taken a history class in your life to think that Obama being elected would be the worst disaster in the history of our country. At least you can take refuge in the fact that Sonny saved your flag, thus avoiding the worst disaster in the history of Georgia (Sherman would be proud).

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #8978
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Merely reflecting the polls, Mizzou

I'm sure the polling distribution is wrong on those polls too.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #8979
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I'm not playing devil's advocate, jon, it's a serious question. What do you think of Palin as potential c in c?

Last edited by Mac Howard : 10-30-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #8980
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
"At all"? Really? Two stood out to me:

1. The cost of medications for a condition like Rheumatoid Arthritis forcing someone back into work after retirement is a real shame. How does one guard against this?

2. It's a crime that a special needs teacher needs to work several jobs to make ends meet.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings. After 2000 and 2004, I'm not going to consider it over until the votes are counted.

Thanks for the polls. I'll head out to geek out over the numbers.

As far as the two examples you cite, that's the way it is. It's not a crime for people to have to work extra jobs because they don't make enough in one job. That's their chosen occupation and they knew the situation going into it. As far as the medication goes, it's not an easy problem to solve, but Obama pointing it out without any true solution on how to fix it doesn't make it go away.

Agreed on the votes. Anything can happen.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #8981
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post

It was certainly "wrong" if they were looking for a McCain lead
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #8982
Butter
Coordinator

Humorous that Pennsylvania actually seems to be moving AWAY from McCain. The more they see of him and Palin, the less they like it.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #8983
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Nice article. Thanks to the wrong kind of man coming to power, America has definitely not put its best foot forward over the past 8 years. Now our country has a great chance to correct itself and get back on course.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #8984
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post

We're unable to assess that as the polling specifics were not provided.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #8985
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes, noting that bias exists in all polling, rather than just some information, is a horribly controversial statement..

You may now hang me from a Los Angeles rooftop.

You seem to always fail to grasp my points. Oh well.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #8986
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
That's their chosen occupation and they knew the situation going into it.

Yes, lots of people are excited about choosing their occupation of working at Wal-Mart and a second job at wherever.

It has nothing to do with the lack of good paying jobs in other sectors, or the vanishing of good paying jobs in their field, or the inability of people to afford to live off the retirement promised to them.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #8987
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Conservative prediction = bias.
Liberal prediction = truth.

No.

Prediction based on data=valid
Prediction based on dreams=not valid

Iowa, Oregon, New Mexico, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin all swing states?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #8988
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Wow. JiMG is a total drama queen. I thought Republicans were supposed to be tough. Mr. "Step on Their Throat" apparently doesn't like it when his throat is about to get stepped on.

It is what it is. What do you expect me to do, go into denial mode or something? Not my bag, sorry.

The downfall of nations is something that occurs throughout history, even I'm not arrogant enough to believe the US is somehow entirely immune to that. I'm not going to lie, I hoped I wouldn't live to see it but I'm also not going to ignore the possibility either. And in this case, not only the possibility but what I'm convinced is the virtual certainty of it.

Nothing short of a miracle will prevent an Obama victory next week, and nothing short of a miracle will find the US a legitimate world power after four years of that. He's a clueless empty suit who has shown me virtually no hint of having the common sense or discernment needed to survive on the world stage. He's the embodiment of everything every enemy we've ever had has dreamed of, duly anointed by a coalition of proverbial useful idiots. It's the utter disaster of the Carter administration with exponentially greater prospect for disaster since there seems to be little reason for hope for a recovery afterwards.

Because frankly if we've sunk to the depths to elect this sack of shit we don't really belong at the top of the global food chain anyway, we've collectively devolved so far that we aren't capable of handling the position. That's ultimately the real problem and why I don't see much reason for hope at this point. I mean, McCain was the chosen alternative for crying out loud, and that's not exactly an stellar alternative. Infinitely preferable in this case, but still a tragic indictment of our condition. Obama is just the most glaring sign of how low we've sunk, not the only indication by a long stretch.

As for toughness, that will come into play with regard to individual survival in the years to come. But no amount of "toughness" could have saved The Titanic from going under, the damage was fatal. All that was realistically possible was to hope to be among the few survivors.

Miracles do happen still -- whether next Tuesday or in a relatively short time after -- so technically speaking things are not entirely hopeless. But when you're down to miracles being your only hope, the odds aren't exactly looking good. That's not a lack of toughness, that's being realistic about the situation.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #8989
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks for the polls. I'll head out to geek out over the numbers.

No problem. Just to clarify, I'm not calling you out with that post. You had just said yesterday that you wanted to see newer state polling, and I just wanted to say "here it is now". Enjoy!

Quote:
It's not a crime for people to have to work extra jobs because they don't make enough in one job. That's their chosen occupation and they knew the situation going into it.

Yeah, that's not my point, though. To me, it doesn't seem right that we, as a society, value these occupations so little.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #8990
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
You'll pardon my even-handed treatment of the information.
Heh.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #8991
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Wow, you must either live in a hut in Athens or never have taken a history class in your life to think that Obama being elected would be the worst disaster in the history of our country.

We managed to survive the others, I believe this one is fatal in terms of being a legitimate world power. And a continued existence as a second rate irrelevancy is as good as it being dead as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #8992
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
But no amount of "toughness" could have saved The Titanic from going under, the damage was fatal.

Not true, actually. After further investigation it appears the type of steel used to construct the Titanic became somewhat brittle at low temperatures and this (along with substandard rivets) made the ship much more likely to suffer fatal damage from the impact. Better steel and better rivets may very well have kept the Titanic afloat.

Yes, I'm just disagreeing with you here for the sake of it.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #8993
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
It is what it is. What do you expect me to do, go into denial mode or something? Not my bag, sorry.

The downfall of nations is something that occurs throughout history, even I'm not arrogant enough to believe the US is somehow entirely immune to that. I'm not going to lie, I hoped I wouldn't live to see it but I'm also not going to ignore the possibility either. And in this case, not only the possibility but what I'm convinced is the virtual certainty of it.

Nothing short of a miracle will prevent an Obama victory next week, and nothing short of a miracle will find the US a legitimate world power after four years of that. He's a clueless empty suit who has shown me virtually no hint of having the common sense or discernment needed to survive on the world stage. He's the embodiment of everything every enemy we've ever had has dreamed of, duly anointed by a coalition of proverbial useful idiots. It's the utter disaster of the Carter administration with exponentially greater prospect for disaster since there seems to be little reason for hope for a recovery afterwards.

Because frankly if we've sunk to the depths to elect this sack of shit we don't really belong at the top of the global food chain anyway, we've collectively devolved so far that we aren't capable of handling the position. That's ultimately the real problem and why I don't see much reason for hope at this point. I mean, McCain was the chosen alternative for crying out loud, and that's not exactly an stellar alternative. Infinitely preferable in this case, but still a tragic indictment of our condition. Obama is just the most glaring sign of how low we've sunk, not the only indication by a long stretch.

As for toughness, that will come into play with regard to individual survival in the years to come. But no amount of "toughness" could have saved The Titanic from going under, the damage was fatal. All that was realistically possible was to hope to be among the few survivors.

Miracles do happen still -- whether next Tuesday or in a relatively short time after -- so technically speaking things are not entirely hopeless. But when you're down to miracles being your only hope, the odds aren't exactly looking good. That's not a lack of toughness, that's being realistic about the situation.

Hmm. I think I now understand what the article I posted earlier meant by saying McCain represented imperialist America.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #8994
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
No problem. Just to clarify, I'm not calling you out with that post. You had just said yesterday that you wanted to see newer state polling, and I just wanted to say "here it is now". Enjoy!

Yeah, that's not my point, though. To me, it doesn't seem right that we, as a society, value these occupations so little.

I'm a numbers geek. Anyone with two accounting degrees has to be a glutton for punishment.

Yes, but monetary value doesn't always mirror importance. The same parts of our society that allow us to be the superpower also create inequities. But that doesn't change the fact that we are still a country of great opportunity.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #8995
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Not true, actually. After further investigation it appears the type of steel used to construct the Titanic became somewhat brittle at low temperatures and this (along with substandard rivets) made the ship much more likely to suffer fatal damage from the impact. Better steel and better rivets may very well have kept the Titanic afloat.

I watched a 2 hour show about that. Interesting stuff.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #8996
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

It seems you now have a sense of the feeling some people felt after W was elected.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #8997
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
We managed to survive the others, I believe this one is fatal in terms of being a legitimate world power. And a continued existence as a second rate irrelevancy is as good as it being dead as far as I'm concerned.

Why would Obama be any worse than, say, Carter was?

I don't think there's any question that the US' hegemony will be challenged later this century by China or India but that will not be the fault of Obama but of population comparisons. Militarily it will be some time before the US is challenged and that will come regardless of the colour of government.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 10-30-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #8998
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Nah, it's actually a reasonably valid point (and along the lines of what had me debating the use of the analogy before I typed it) ... except that she didn't sail with the proper strength of steel and standard quality rivets. If she had, then you're at least possibly spot on that the damage didn't have to be fatal.

But just as she faced the Atlantic with what she was fitted with, we don't get to face the ramifications of this election in an "if only" scenario, we're stuck with the substandard materials that are actually on the ship in reality.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #8999
Subby
lolzcat

America's time as a superpower is going to come to an end regardless of who we elect.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #9000
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
It seems you now have a sense of the feeling some people felt after W was elected.

Sure, except they're largely the useful idiots I was referring to earlier, so I'm hard pressed to have been bothered by that then or now. And FTR, I'm quite cool with them having the exact same lack of sympathy for me that I have/had for them. I give very little quarter & expect none.